Why are cable companies' home routers so ugly and huge?

Why are cable companies' home routers so ugly and huge?

pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=50914
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why would you want to use that instead of your own?

schlomo won't pay

It's Canada.

Canada's telecom regulator CRTC doesn't have rules like "customers should be allowed to bring their own modem" like FCC does in the U.S.

You're stuck with whatever modem-router all-in-one your cable company installs in your home.

yeah the modem you're stuck with but no reason you can't bridge or passthrough to your own router

antenna

normies know nothing of networking equipment and don't care about anything except that it works and looks cool on the shelf. the cable companies don't care about anything except charging you eight bucks a month to rent the thing (idk if that's a thing in Canadia, but in Burgerland Comcast pushes that shit hard)

as a result you get the equivalent of those old emachines desktops: shitty lowest-bidder hardware encrusted with curved plastic to try and make it look like it isn't shit

This. Just toss the crap they give you behind your desk and connect a decent router to it. It's also safer that way because the modem/router combo units ISPs hand out are often backdoored and can allow them to access your LAN.

have you seen the netgear nighthawk router? It's the size of a large 17in laptop

why.png

this is every bit as awful of a design as OP

So it begins...

Is Archer C7 still the best router for money?

>Is Archer C7 still t
Never was. Ubiquity's UniFi AC Pro and UnifFi AC Lite have been better than consumer shit for years.

But, there's no integrated router. You have to buy a separate router.

>Why are cable companies' home routers so ugly and huge?
That is small and pretty

They are barely above consumershit

>Cisco jet engine fans
>installing them in a home office

no thanks

>I am the Vanguard of your destruction!

>>Cisco jet engine fans
I replaced the fans and disabled the one for the expansion card, and it isnt any louder than my UPS fan

If you're using Rogers, you could have bought your own Cisco DOCSIS 3.0 modem and it would have worked fine, they would let you do this no problems

You are just lazy and failed to apply yourself

The Cisco modem isn't an option for the 250Mbps tier.

>Ignite 250u
You sure m8? If it's a DOCSIS3.0 it should work for that speed package

I have a wrt1900ac and a archer c7 in bridge mode

The c7 is great for the money, has good firmware support just make sure you get the v2 model

Are there V1s still out in shops?

I fucking hate the CRTC.

Not sure, I doubt it tho

>rogers

I'm not OP, but Canada's internet situation can be pretty bad, particularly if you're not in the big 4 cities. I had literally one option for internet at the last house I was at (which was Bell, not that that's a whole lot better).

I've the same modem through Fido, which is owned by Rogers, and I've been having some success accessing content through the USB ports using the VLC app on my Apple TV. Some thumb drives don't work but they all get really warm just being plugged in.

At least I've git mine hidden behind the sofa.

>cable companies' home routers

They are just branded routers from other companies, I know the new Rogers modems that allow for faster speeds (up to gigabit) are Hitron modems
Those TV nextbox's are just some cisco IP tv solution

The rental fee is included on the higher ier packages, I highly doubt there is some BYOD savings if you bring your own modem.

Mine's pretty decent, can't complain: 85down/20up.

>Running cisco shit instead of using any old desktop with 2 nics and rolling your own.

Come on man, pfsense is better than that garbage

I'm due for an upgrade soon. Probably going to get the Netgear D7000

Does any Sup Forumsents have one ?

casual

i work in the security department for one of the top 5 consumer router manufacturers, ask me anything reddit!

Do you steal tissue paper, handsoap or anything you can steal when no one's looking around?

Mines alright.

theres a bunch of $350 dollar routers in the basement that the firmware team doesnt use anymore. i steal them and regift them to friends

I have this one, too. It's much faster than their older models...

Hmm are there any in the basement ?

Currently running a $99 Netgear F9K1113. 5gihz is only 3 bars 3 walls away, how to improve this??

Even an Asus AC3200 didnt improve 5Ghz AC any better, am I bound to be wired.

jokes on you, f9k1113 is a belkin router

This, Cable companies beg the CRTC to keep their monopolies because they're "canadian companies" despite buying American infrastructure and outsourcing to Indians.

Kys, animetard

lol youre mad on the internet

No you're not

Should I upgrade my route if I don't really use the wifi?

If it's secure and you get a decent connection, I don't think you really need it. And honestly, you don't need amazing performance unless you're gaming anyway.

How do I know if it's secure enough

Do some basic pentesting with Kali.

I saw some posts around the place that suggested dumping dd-wrt onto a c7. Is that a practical thing to do? I might be in the need for a new router soon, my wrt54g is starting to feel the age, and I can't find a version of ddwrt for it that has both working port forwarding and working wireless security.

i hide mine under my bed.

How much did I fuck up?

Yeah its easy to do, I use openwrt on my own
forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=50914

Again make sure you get the v2 else you won't get 5ghz with the open source driver

Could be worse, could be mine (and a good chunk of the UKs)

>virgin media "superhub"

>came with a plug that squealed so loud I could hear it over my TV and had to complain until I got a new one
>known issue a massive batch had and they were still sending them out like fuck it
>stays hot as SHIT
>massive as fuck
>cables stick out of the what would usually be the side and not the back making it even more unwieldy

>out the side
WHY

What's the likelyhood of acquiring a v1 over a v2/3 at this point in time?

It says on the box anyways

The first one I picked up was a v2

You are on a 4 year outdated superhub

don't mind mine

Yes, a lot of the country is.

I got this superhub literally last year.

disappointed that i can't replace my uverse gateway
it does have some level of passthrough but i'd prefer to do the authentication and dhcp on my own equipment instead of theirs

They _SHOULD_ provide you with a newer one of you ask, Virgin replaced some of our hardware because it was old for free

It appeals to the normies.

He fell for the tp link meme

>he fell for the meme meme

Optimum's is much more attractive and thinner.

Based
50down/20up here, 10 computers on ethernet and ~20 wifi devices, never stutters

>Amerifats will never experience the comfiness and features of a fritz box

because it's a router modem combo, and those generally put out a LOT of heat with newer higher speed connections.
plus they are cheap as fuck, so they need all the space they can get without using a fan so they can get away with using an older/much more power hungry cpu.

I have the R7000, which is basically the same as the D7000 except that the D7000 is a modem + router whille the R7000 is just a router. It's pretty awesome. Very good range, and getting 200/20 Wi-Fi speed, just like my ISP gave me. Nothing else to tell you. It's pretty awesome.

I just put mine in bridge mode and hooked it up to an old PowerEdge server running pfSense in a small room in my basement

name 7 advantages of router compared to direct connection

Kys, animetard

Mines pretty nice looking. The firmware isn't great though.

looks decent desu, and works pretty good.

That's pretty slick

TEMPLE OF NOD COMPLETE. NEW CONSTRUCTION OPTIONS AVAILABLE.

love it

Altina router/modem combo here. Tiny white thing with filtered intake, dead silent cooling fan and about the size of a bag of peanuts. Ugly sticker on top which says to "Vacuum filter at 14-day intervals". Company is owned by tech guys, they have a "I expect you to know your shit" attiude to customer service, but overall friendly. Independent contractor to larger company but I dont remember which one. 1 minor benefit to living out in the boonies.

>still running this bad boy
Does the job.

>802.11g
Won't somebody please think of the children!

>we heard you like chinks
>you wanna wall mount it?
>Here use this oversized detachable bracket

New construction options*

Ow also apparently i just figured out why i could never get port forwarding to work on that modem... they disabled it i can make rules all i want i guess

no, 54mbps gross does not do the job.

Thinking about it, why do routers and shit all still use gigantic-ass wall warts?