I'm planning to open up a small pc shop where I'll do repairs and sell computers. To save money...

I'm planning to open up a small pc shop where I'll do repairs and sell computers. To save money, I've been thinking of loading up my computers with a Linux distro and giving them the option to buy windows seperate.

I'm really liking solus so I'm thinking of bundling that with my computers, but Ubuntu is my second choice.

What does g think?
Is this a retarded idea? As an ausfag I'll be saving ~120 dollars for every pc I sell with solus or Ubuntu instead, which I'll be able to sell cheaper too.

Also, other than having more apps, any reason to choose Ubuntu over solus? Budgie desktop looks much nicer imo.

>is this a retarded idea
yes, but at least it's not as retarded as opening a computer repair business in 2016

Standard Ubuntu has one of the worst desktops desu.

Use Xubuntu or Lubuntu, they are much more comfy.

If you ever end up selling those tablet/laptop combos, install the standard Ubuntu as Unity is good for tablets.

I've personally had some weird experiences with spins, like not having a software center in Ubuntu mate, so I'd rather stick to the original DE and Distro if possible.

Why? People need their shit fixed when it breaks

Beyond retarded. Completely hopeless

Y tho

>Why? People need their shit fixed when it breaks
they just buy a new computer

Then pick a distro that didn't fuck up their GUI to begin with.

Dude, just do Ubuntu. You aren't targeting linux users with a move like that, you're targetting people who use windows but don't want to pay for it (also you're going to struggle unless you can get the windows keys for a deal like other OEMs who basically include them for free). There's no reason to push your obscure autistic crap on them when Ubuntu is the standard common option that they will easily be able to figure out with tons of support to look up.

No you thinking solus is easier/better than ubuntu doesn't mean anything. Customers will probably have heard of ubuntu before. All you're doing is making sales more difficult.

Like solus?

Thanks for the input, I completely forgot that a lot of people will probably have heard Ubuntu before and might be curious enough to buy it instead of something less popular and unheard of like solus.

I'll probably just go with Ubuntu then.
Cheers mate

Because the consumer desktop market is dead. Even laptops are dying. Not only are laptop sales on the decline, but far more components are integrated and non-replaceable. You're going to have to tell a lot of people "I'm sorry, I can't fix it. You're best to buy a new one". Those people will never use your service again because they see you as incompetent. You'll also drive people away by pre-installing Linux on their machines and charging for Windows. It will make people feel ripped off.

Terrible idea. Most people care only about Windows. It's the most versatile and easy-to-use OS you can install. Giving Linux to your customers is a mistake.

The only scenario in which you aren't morally heinous is one on which you have expensive repair tools that laymen aren't likely to have on hand and you charge them fairly for the time and use to use them to repair their computer. Anything else you do is ripping them off, so you should embrace your sleazy nature and do whatever the fuck you want. Don't pretend you're the customers friend or ally. You're a snake.

>Y tho

99% of your customers will say "get this shit off my computer and give me Word"

At which point op will charge them for windows?
He already said he'll reduce his price if he sells without windows, lol

Stick libreboot and FSF approved linux on old thinkpads - only 2 companies do this and they are very far away.

Who is your audience?

Anyone familiar with Linux enough to be down with it won't need to buy a computer from you.

Anyone willing to buy a computer will feel like you are trying to screw them. Just raise the price and give 'em windows

What could go wrong with selling computers with an OS that can't be used for shit? It's not like reputation or reviews matter for businesses anyway. On a totally different note, you could save 50% more if you sold Ubuntu for $60.

I work selling computers. Everyone is a fucking idiot, and if you don't sell it with Windows they're not gonna want it. Anybody who would be ok with you not selling windows wouldn't buy from you, and anybody who you fool into selling too would not be happy they don't have windows.

It was tried and failed. Reason: No games, no compatible software. It might work if you sell computers for those who'll use it as an electric typewriter and casual facebook/email business.

>Do you want Windows on your computer? Only $120 more.
>What? No, let's do that free thing you were talking about.
>one day passes
>What kind of knockoff computer is this? This isn't Microsoft. It doesn't even have Word!

Prepare for various iterations of this interaction constantly, as well as people expecting free tech support.

>To save money, I've been thinking of loading up my computers with a Linux distro and giving them the option to buy windows seperate.
This isn't gonna work. People will be coming in way more often thinking their shit is broken because they have no clue what to do when Linux fucks up.

That is the dumbest thing i have ever heard.

Sup Forums is not your audience you idiot. A bunch of tech-illiterate teens installing their first Linux distro do not tell you fuck all about the actual market. No one will buy your Ubuntu-PCs. No one will buy your PCs at all, even with Windows, because you would just be some obscure little shop that is a million times more expensive than big retailers.

Even if you could somehow survive your first year, your market is only gonna get smaller.

Ultimate edition

Just put win 7 on them desu senpai

remember to buy cheap windows licenses on ebay and sell them to your clients at full price.

Isn't this illegal?

Hint: Show prices for windows included, give an option to save $ when not buying windows.

Op here, that's what I was planning. Not as a seperate charge but as a money saving option.

Also would have a pc running with Ubuntu there for them to try it out if they're interested

OPs shit shop
>"would you like used computer with an obscure version of a less than popular OS and have to pay extra for the OS you want which you definitely will because you'll only use Skype word and play games?"
Walmart/best buy/ etc
>"Want a computer no bullshit, just give us the cash? We'll even throw in free ms office for a year?

Damn, reading this thread got me thinking.

Linux REALLY needs a good Office variant.
Libreoffice is shit.

Choose a distro like Ubuntu Mate where users don't have to use the console for basic configuration.