So now that the dust has settled

Can we all agree that Linux desktop is dead?

>laggy, lackluster DE's and file browsers
>few and quite frankly substandard programs compared to proprietary ones (like Openoffice vs ms Office)
>no games
>screen tearing is quite often still a problem
>like every week a critical security flaw is discovered in the kernel

Other urls found in this thread:

omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/07/linux-marketshare-reaches-2-percent
youtube.com/watch?v=OXS8ljif9b8
debate.org/opinions/is-windows-the-best-operating-system
google.com/search?q="Does Linux even have a choice in this matter"
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

eat a dick

B-but a whole os like OS X has 300 more vulnerabilities than our kernel!

Linux on the desktop is OK, seept for gayms. Once Windows 7 is dead then Linux is the top option. So yea it's dead for now but will thrive once steam sorts it's shit out and Windows 7 becomes end of life.

Nice try, Pajeet. It's literally on the raise. Year of the Linux desktop
>C
󠁌>O
>N
󠁌>F
>I
󠁌>R
>M
󠁌>E
>D

omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/07/linux-marketshare-reaches-2-percent

this

>screen tearing

Give it five more years and Wayland will eventually deal with that. Fuck working for free means everything takes an eternity to put out. At least the Pajeet at Microsoft work hard and fast.

Works for me. It even runs Windows very well under KVM.

>people still fall for this bait thread

Good point. I trained a few Pajeets out in Delhi. They literally took our jobs. Pajeets love Winnoobs.

>omgubuntu
Fuck this website is so cringy. Please tell me it's satire.

White programmers really have no motivation to work fast. They are paid per hour so to them working slower is preferable. Poo in loos must meet their daily quota of code in order to get their bowl of curry. Of course they can't write 100% high quality code which is why 99% of their code is shit.

>They are paid per hour so to them working slower is preferable.
That's exactly my attitude at work. I basically got paid for doing nothing for an hour today. But as a European, I have good health care, a dental plan, a car, insurance, paying a house off etc. while allowing myself to slack off at work.
Meanwhile Pajeet has to work 12 hours without break and can't even afford a toilet.

Programmers are fucking janitors, g is full of fucking cucks. I manage you little bitches. Suck a cock.

>At least the Pajeet at Microsoft work hard and fast.
You can't be fucking serious. There's shit in the Control Panel that's been carried forward since Win95.

We only need one DE and file browser to not be laggy and lackluster. KDE and Gnome.
>few
No.
>and quite frankly substandard programs compared to proprietary ones (like Openoffice vs ms Office)
I guess this is true, just don't pretend it happens for more than half a dozen use cases.
>no games
True.
Not in major distros.
Like in every kernel. The difference is Microsoft and Apple don't exactly shout out to the world "hey we fucked up for a few decades, but it's fixed now!" because their kernels are proprietary (yes, I know BSD is open-source, but Apple doesn't have to let you know of any changes.

>We only need one DE and file browser to not be laggy and lackluster. KDE and Gnome.

I'm tempted to create a webm to show how in windows if I open a folder I am able to see the content immediately, while as in KDE it takes like 20 seconds of loading for the same thing, as each thumbnail takes its sweet time to display everything, slowly, one by one.

I can now install linux, and everything works out of the box. Back in 06 when I started using it, it was a hassle.. Linux is headed in the right direction. The future looks bright.

Not to be that asshole, but that's completely anedoctal, KDE would not take 20 seconds on a PATA disk. Nautilus is marginally faster for me than Explorer (but both are fast enough that I don't care).

I've been using it as my primary OS since 2002. Seems pretty alive to me.

Yeah, some are, but modern DE's like Cinnamon and KDE are miles better and more innovative than either OSX or Win10.

>few and quite frankly substandard programs compared to proprietary ones (like Openoffice vs ms Office)
I mostly use LaTeX, Gimp, Inkscape. Works fine, does some amazing stuff.

>no games
Steam is here and the games are coming. Plus you can run any older game. I've managed to get original Thief to work on Linux where I couldn't under Win7.

Never had that problem. Try installing the proprietary graphics card drivers.

Maybe, but they're patched quickly, and Windows and OSX have just as many problems.

>Maybe, but they're patched quickly, and Windows and OSX have just as many problems.
I'd risk saying OS X might have less not because of Apple, but because BSD prioritizes security while Linux prioritizes not breaking userspace. Windows on the other hand must be security hole galore, judging by the code quality of their other projects.

Ever heard of caching?

This hommie knows whats up.

Linux is as dead as the electric car

Linux:
>unstable API's
>community design
>older programs break with every update
nope.jpg

Give me an example of an unstable API in Linux.

And the funny thing is MS will ensure the success of the Linux desktop anyway as they continue to let the Pajeets fuck up Win10.

>Can we all agree that Linux desktop is dead?
no

>>laggy, lackluster DE's and file browsers
>laggy
Works on My Machine (TM)
>lackluster
They can literally look however you want.

>>few and quite frankly substandard programs compared to proprietary ones (like Openoffice vs ms Office)
LibreOffice suits all the needs Microsoft Offices does. There's always an alternative, sometimes better, sometimes worse. You even have Wine if you are a turboautist.
>>no games
also Steam, Wine, (VMs)...
>>screen tearing is quite often still a problem
Works on My Machine (TM)
>>like every week a critical security flaw is discovered in the kernel
Just how retarded can you get? Security flaws are inherent to software. Linux gets them fixed in no time. Windows is a MUCH more insecure OS.

are you actually retarded?

I'm gonna add these to support your post. Speaking from personal experience.
I haven't had this problem, even unity worked on my machine with no lag at all. Ubuntu just worked out of the box, without the need of any setting changes or drivers and I even don't have a powerful PC like most people here (32GB+ RAM and anything above 4GB GPU is overkill imo)
I had no problems here. Libre Office is good enough, I've seen no difference between it and Microsoft office other than interface. 95% people who use Microsoft office don't need whatever is keeping the other 5% on it.
>no games
Agreed, steam is getting more support for linux systems and even the new unreal engine supports linux and Vulkan, so more developers will also support linux. You could always use wine, but that doesn't work with everything. And old games are easily loaded on linux.
I don't even know what this problem is desu, screen was always smooth for me.
Windows has as many security issues as OS X and linux combined. I have to admit I even wanted to switch to OS X at one point, but didn't like the mindset so I chose free software™.

I believe people who shit on Linux here had absolutely no experience with it. They're mostly people who installed linux, used it for a few hours or less, decided it's not identical to windows, didn't know how to do anything and just uninstalled it. Either that or they didn't use it at all and are just shilling Microsoft/Apple because "my system is better than yours".

Next Fedora release in November will have Wayland by default.

works fine here, and no greedy corporate pigs in Redmond isnt nosing in on my bidness

>I'd risk saying OS X might have less not because of Apple, but because BSD prioritizes security
what? how does BSD relate to OS X, or even security? you clearly don't know what you are talking about...

>Linux prioritizes not breaking userspace
do you know how ASLR was born?

>but because BSD prioritizes security
HAHAHAHAHAH

OPenBSD founder rates FreeBSD less than Linux security and Linux far behind even Windows: youtube.com/watch?v=OXS8ljif9b8
kek

>install windows 10, word 95 works OOTB
>install any lionux distro, cli application from 6 month ago release broken

Linux desktop = FAIL.

This is the beginning of the end for Windows and its because of 10. It will probably take a decade or so but it will no longer own 70%+ of the market share. Apple and Linux will be alternatives that people will gravitate towards.

>windows
>secure
That's a good one m8. How hard was that to type with a straight face?

>Address space layout randomization
>Linux: 2005
>Windows: 2007
>OSX: 2007
>OpenBSD: 2008
>iOS+Android: 2011
>FreeBSD: ;-)

Watch the video. Theo De Raadt says it with one. Only mentally ill freetards living in their "clean-room" bubble away from the harsh realities of the real world actually believe Windows is insecure swiss cheese because they can't admit they are too retarded not to install malware out of user error so blame the OS instead.

Also missing:
* Adobe Dreamweaver

Fact 3/4

>apple
Too expensive and limited, just like iPhones are worse than Android phones
>linux
Too different (since people usually get Windows with prebuilt computers, they stick to it)
The only way for Windows to get less popular is to kill off torrents and piracy so that everyone is either forced to buy legit Windows or use a free alternative, and stop shipping prebuilt computers and laptops with Windows.

Should have used Xfce, OP.

>few and quite frankly substandard programs compared to proprietary ones
>substandard
Industry standard

>(like Openoffice vs ms Office)
lol, okay, office drone detected

>no games
Who has time for games anyway? Also, steam

See above

This is a good thing, the alternative (that security flaws were NOT discovered) is much much worse.

Fact 4/4

Well done Pajeet.

>all of those unnecessary things
>all of this false information
How much do they pay you?

I've been using Cub Linux on my desktop for the past 2 months and it's been a blast. Yes, I only use it for online work and learning python, but for a simple desktop, it's fucking amazing. I even do some video editing on lightworks, granted though, I have a FX1800 Quadro.

Doesn't lag, the file browser is excellent (nautilus), for docs I use drive.botnet.com, absolutely zero screen tearing, and so far no flaws have affected me.

Here is why I use linux:

>I have a deep hate for anything microsoft. They screwed me many times in the past.
>My old mac broke, and instead of buying myself a new costly mac, I bought a dell.
>Everything works out of the box, and should I stumble upon a problem, there are friendly people online to help me.
>Linux is fun. It's fun to tinker with something different.
>My computer is fast, and I know what's running under the hood.
>I have a variety of choices when it comes to distros. I can dowload a distro that suits my needs.
>IT'S A FREE OS! I find it to be better than windows. Quicker, more logical to understand.. and really pretty to look at.

>>security
>>privacy
>>...
>IE
top fucking kek

Freetards BTFO
Install Windows 10

no one should use a DE

This one doesn't even deserve a response.

Putting the tearfree option in your xorg.conf solves this.
Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Driver "amdgpu"
Option "TearFree" "on"
Option "DRI" "3"
EndSection[\code]
Or, you could use a modeline with "+vsync +hsync". This hasn't been a problem in forever. Please read your driver documentation.

>no games
maybe 5 years ago

You are forgetting about all of the zero-day shit in windows that never gets patched.

continue:

I actually gave windows a new change a couple of years ago, when windows 8 was released. I wanted to check it out. I went to the store and bought myself a copy. Installed it to my machine. When asked for the registration code, windows wouldn't register it since no windows was detected on the computer prior to my installation. Well well.. I then borrowed a windows 7 disk and installed it. I then proceeded to install windows 8 yet again. When asked to put in my registration code, windows wouldn't take it since the serial was only intended for one computer, and it was already in use one another computer.

Money out the window. Stupid shitty OS..

I've used Linux as a desktop for like ever. It's my comfy os.

>bought Windows
Why would you ever?

Support the world's best software development company so they can continue to make the world's best operating system.

This thread has a disgusting amount of Pajeets. This much shilling must be making these 3rd worlders tens of thousands of cents.

>Microsoft
>best

Billions of US dollars don't lie

>Cinnamon and KDE are miles better and more innovative than either OSX or Win10.

Cinnamon is decent. KDE is a great example of what is wrong with GNU/Linux DEs. It is unpolished and over-engineered to the point where it feels like a college group project where none of the kids on the team communicated about anything. Tooltips popup over everything you hover over, bouncing balls popup whenever you click something, even something as basic as a cursor has too much shit going on with it. It is unusuable without spending an hour undoing most of what the devs put into it.

I was bored. Wanting to check out the hype. Moment of weakness.

Fuck off.

>money means something is good
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Window's OS is the most user friendly thing out there whether it be for gaming, word documents, presentations, or for anti-virus software.

ou install windows 10 in about 45 minutes and for most linuxes its about the same but remember. Biggest base linuxes are about 1 gigabytes or 2 while windows 10 can be more than 5 gigabytes of data. And what happens when you open them. On linux there are about 2 functional buttons, 3 are nonfunctional and in those two buttons there are some pictures to play with. Maybe slide down or up. On windows though, you feel like a god. Its professional its fast, its all functional. You have a godlike user interface. The thing that linux does not have. You have those two buttons in linux, but you still search google for codes to write in terminal. Linux is free because its not worth a penny. Nobody would sell a paper without taking the money. Just not sure why people still buy android while windows phone does 10 times more. Trust me. When you work with windows you know some genius ground breaker dedicated himself to give you an operational os

The Bugatti Veyron is the fastest, most powerful and most expensive sports car in the world. Windows is the most expensive PC operating system so it is the fastest too.

You have no clue about the subject you are talking about. Your text contains too many errors for me to even respond. I'm done contributing in this thread.

The world you describe exists only in your deranged head.

>ou install windows 10 in about 45 minutes
You installing that shit on a potato? Takes about 15 minutes for me.

The different "flavors" of Linux both help and hinder the community IMO. It's hard for people to feel confident that they can administrate a Linux system because there are so many and there is nothing that is uniform about them. Something done one way in KDE is done through a very different set of steps in GNOME or XFCE.

Also, constant branching of projects ruins the environment. Most of these are superficial changes, but the prefix the name with "Libre" or "Free". Or GNOME and Cinnamon. They are essentially the same thing.

>Your text contains too many errors for me to even respond.

Windows/Mac OSX have inherently flawed security because Microsoft/Apple will always be able to bypass any security you put up and they don't release the source code.

>m-m-m-monster shill!
Windows stopped being user friendly with 10. You have no idea what you're talking about. And either way it's better for the society to support the "underdogs" instead of the leading party, that's something we have in our genes to do and it's there for a reason. You're literally saying you'd be perfectly fine in an extremely conservative dictatorship which wouldn't even be able to improve itself because it has no competition and nobody has the right to say anything about it.

If one makes the presumption that the modern IT is all about the internet, then you have to ask yourself
'Does Linux even have a choice in this matter ?'

A modern computing system is not one that is run from the command line - it is a system that is tied in with the internet Cloud. Just have a look at Windows 10 with Cortana and OneDrive for an example of this done right.

You need the outlook to connect in with the mass of email flowing around us every day. And then there is document collaboration - the sharing of Wordfiles and Excels between users across state boundries ! Voice over IP, cloud enabled 'Surface' computing, and voice command interfaces - all tied together with .NET and the OneDrive.

The driving force behind this internet is the Microsoft Sharepoint Server - a central peice of systems software which connects all these end points together, in a synergistic kaleidoscope that achieves both balance and symmetry.

The smart Vendors know that in order to get ahead in the future IT, that means integrating with the Cloud.

Linux has nothing on the Cloud.

debate.org/opinions/is-windows-the-best-operating-system
>install windows 10 in about 45 minutes and for most linuxes its about the same but remember
(ctrl+f "Yes sure windows in the best!!!!!")
is this a real shill, a bot, some kind of social experiment or something?

2%
THATS SO MANY!

You don't need cloud, it's a meme, no serious company stores data online. You don't need cortana unless you're underage idiot who finds her fascinating. You don't need onedrive, are you too incompetent to use a browser? Stop shilling retard.

google.com/search?q="Does Linux even have a choice in this matter"
stop replying to the b8

I mean lets get real for a moment. You install windows 10 in about 45 minutes and for most linuxes its about the same but remember. Biggest base linuxes are about 1 gigabytes or 2 while windows 10 can be more than 5 gigabytes of data. And what happens when you open them. On linux there are about 2 functional buttons, 3 are nonfunctional and in those two buttons there are some pictures to play with. Maybe slide down or up. On windows though, you feel like a god. Its professional its fast, its all functional. You have a godlike user interface. The thing that linux does not have. You have those two buttons in linux, but you still search google for codes to write in terminal. Linux is free because its not worth a penny. Nobody would sell a paper without taking the money. Just not sure why people still buy android while windows phone does 10 times more. Trust me. When you work with windows you know some genius ground breaker dedicated himself to give you an operational os

Fucking Pajeets I tell you.

>le works on my machine xD
How to spot tech illiterate imbeciles not understanding what different HW configurations are

After installing a fresh install of 7 on my thinkpad it took 2 days for the damn windows updates to collect and install with the computer running at super high cpu load.
On linux updating takes a matter of minutes with a simple pacman -Syu

You're going from a system released in 2009 and updating it to 2016. Linux ISOs are updated regularly.

>sytemD killed the linux fan base
>sytemD killed the linux fan base

Well most linux distros installation media don't install anything from the installation media and pull the packages off the internet, so it wouldn't matter how old the ISO was.

>he doesn't know he can download the latest version of Windows 7 with the latest updates

Linux is only a kernel. What you're reffering to is in fact GNU/Linux

If it's dead, then why am I using it on my desktop PC?
I'm sure you have some wrong information. Linux on desktop is more living than everytime else.

>sytemD

Kill yourself, my man

I have all blizzard games working through wine. And 60 games on steam. You don't know what you're talking about.

That's a huge cultural problem with Linux. Their culture insists that they throw away old code and rewrite it or redesign it completely every two years or so. Hence, we have travesties like Gnome3, and the huge amount of unnecessary reimplementation work that went into KDE5.

The biggest problem is that it's hard to find people willing to fix bugs and make incremental enhancements in other people's code -- and yet that's exactly what Linux most desperately needs.

Can confirm. Every single Linux system I've built, I've had to insert an NVidia card and use the proprietary NVidia drivers in order to get HD video play that doesn't have streaking, tearing, or stuttering.

Intel on-chip video, of course, is still totally fucked up on Linux. Last week I tried out the brand new LinuxMint 18 on an IvyBridge i5 system, and, of course, it had the usual problems with streaking, as always. So this problem is at least 8 years old and counting.

If it wasn't for the NVidia fix, I simply could not have considered a Linux desktop. That video streaking problem took me a lot of work and trial-and-error to find and fix, and few people have the the patience that I do to make Linux work despite the adversities. So it's absolutely no surprise to me that Linux desktop adoption is still under 2%. Most of that 2% must not give a shit about HD video, games, or much else. Most of them probably chose Linux so that they didn't have to pay the Microsoft tax just to use a browser, e-mail, and printer.

If you found a way to make Linux work with HD video and games -- then good for you -- you're one of the 0.01% geniuses, so go treat yourself to a starbucks today for being so smart.

>KDE is unusuable without spending an hour undoing most of what the devs put into it.

I agree. But I have found that once you spend that hour undoing all the crap, you can get it customized exactly the way you want -- KDE is by far the most configurable desktop you can get.

>If you found a way to make Linux work with HD video and games
nigga it ain't hard what the fuck are you doing

>That's a huge cultural problem with Linux. Their culture insists that they throw away old code and rewrite it or redesign it completely every two years or so. Hence, we have travesties like Gnome3, and the huge amount of unnecessary reimplementation work that went into KDE5.
>The biggest problem is that it's hard to find people willing to fix bugs and make incremental enhancements in other people's code -- and yet that's exactly what Linux most desperately needs.
Indeed. Worst thing is that it also applies to frameworks and API, they get deprecated even before they're widespread.

The problem is that there's "too much freedom" in Linux, especially on the desktop, people come and go, start projects and invent their own APIs, then those projects die and wither without even getting any polish in a year or two and the process repeats. There are no money to earn on the free desktop, so no company actually backs it up or tries to structure it, so we get a clusterfuck instead of a development process.

Also, about KDE. I love KDE, I've been using it since KDE3, and KDE is probably one of the major reasons why I prefer Linux desktop over Windows.
But it suffers from the same bullshit and has a lot of papercuts as a result. It is not developed by an organized team. It's just a huge number of people who write their own software. People write and re-write different programs and components as they wish, and if they break something for someone else in the process, well, tough titty, it's not their software that ended up being broken.

Just a bunch of examples that come to mind:

KDE3 → KDE4:
Amarok team re-designed the player from scratch just how they wanted and as a result everyone switched to something else and the project died
Solid dev team for some reason dropped non-akonadi backend and Dolphin started to crash without semantic destkop, and dev couldn't even figure why it crashes for some people

KDE4 → KDE5:
Plasma team dropped support for panels on borders between screens because why not
KDM dropped because I guess KDE team doesn't give a shit anymore
Konsole dev changed the way "Manage profiles" call works and it stopped working in Yakuake because of that

>Laggy lackluster DEs and filebrowsers
ahh I see you've never used Linux

>Substandard
>LibreOffice vs MS Office (OpenOffice is dead but I dont expect you to know that because you've never used Linux)
nigga pls, Tell me one major feature you're missing on LibreOffice that you just absolutely need?
>>ProTip: you can't

>No Gaymes
good, keep the children shit to the toy OSs. Gaymen is a waste of time and if you believe otherwise you belong on >screen tearing is quite often still a problem
???

like every piece of software with a large code base? The Difference is that the actually patch.... As for Windows, how about that "Redirect to SMB" from 1997 that still has no patch. Please tell me one Linux bug that hasn't been patched in 19 years?

Deal with it grandpa, there is no reason to use a Windows anymore. Even Microsoft knows it. Get with the times.

Why'd we need KDE 5 again? KDE 4 was already perfection, bug free, just needed some polishing here and there.

Oh but hell no, they'd rather just throw all that away. A WHOLE YEAR after its release KDE 5 still crashes every 10 minutes. KDE 5 is trash. Literal garbage.

>Why'd we need KDE 5 again?
Qt5 port, someone thought it would a good idea to redesign everything at the same time

Right now sticking to KDE4 isn't really an option, KDE4 has reached EOL and most KDE applications are being ported to K frameworks

I guess I'll just stick with KDE4 for a while until they iron everything out so KDE5 will be at least usable
It's really sad because KDE4 was perfectly usable in beta and KDE5 is way past the official release date and still is very buggy

Gnome3 is fine.

no lag and theres games and if you dont know how to fix screen tearing just kys and security flaw because its getting updated unlike botnet

kys my man

As much as any one team can be said to work on KDE, Blue Systems puts out a few distros, helps on some others and consists of a lot of people who really really like KDE and working with it. I think they poached some actual people who were working on KDE itself.

I was using the Linux desktop back in 1994. Slackware, LILO, fvwm.

The Linux desktop is much better now. Especially post-Ubuntu.

No games? SteamOS ayone?

Emacs is neither a laggy nor lackluster DE. It's the most powerful DE there is.