Is M.2 a meme? PCI SSDs are faster anyways

Is M.2 a meme? PCI SSDs are faster anyways

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3hhdWwvh5kI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>PCI SSDs are faster anyways
They're the same exact protocol so how exactly are you pretending they're faster?

M.2 is connected to several PCIe lanes, baka.

Gr8 b8 m8.

I meant the newer ones that just came out, like the Intel Pros and the Samsung 950 SSDs. And PCI still would have a higher bandwidth support for down the line, right

M.2 IS PCI you retard.

An M.2 slot is just a side mounted PCIe x4 slot.

If you have an SSD that can saturate PCIe x4 bandwidth and it comes in a PCIe x8 or x16 card, sure theoretically it could give better performance.

But nothing would stop you from making an x8 m.2 slot since they're the same exact thing.

M.2 isn't a meme, M.2 is literally just mounting it on the motherboard sidewise instead of in a vertical PCI slot.

isn't the point of M.2 for space convenience? Like for hiding behind expansion cards? An x8 or x16 M.2 slot would defeat the purpose of that. Plus the Intel SSDs can't be mounted on M.2 even though they're PCIe 3.0 x4. I don't really get the point of M.2 when a card meant for traditional PCI like the Intel 750s would both work better in the end and have a larger bandwidth output on x8 and x16 (when the time comes). Won't M.2 be obselete in a few years then?

Why is drive interface speed such a hot topic?

What is SATA 3.0 too slow for these days, exactly?

They just realized that $5000 hard drives are almost saturating sata6 so now they have to find new interfaces to be superior.
Everybody has 7200rpm so that's not cool
Everybody has a sata SSD so that's not cool
How else will you make yourself superior through hard drives?

By having an imperial fuck pound of them in parallel.

>How else will you make yourself superior through hard drives?
storage density of course.

I have 17TB on 4 disks.

Nobody can be this retarded.

>They just realized that $5000 hard drives are almost saturating sata6
>almost
>saturating SATA 6Gbps
>almost saturating 600MB/s links
>almost
>2016

are you trying to compare m.2 nvme drives? if not shut the fuck up you troglobite

>isn't the point of M.2 for space convenience?
People would be cool with your comment if you just left it there instead of carrying on like a retard.

I think the real question is M.2 or microsata

When will summer-Sup Forums be over?

For real! When can we go back to talking about video games?

Australian summer is right around the corner

>troglobite
lol

i-is that a mini pci-e under neath of an m.2?
This is fucking revolutionary. Why isnt this standard yet?

>tfw you fell for the 6gbps meme
>ftw you realize 100 mbps is all your actually going to get and they were misleading about the actual speed
>tfw they also lied about the capacity
Why havnt harddrive manufacturers been drug out into the street and shot yet?

my western digital black 5TB does alright

Jokes on you faggot. W 10 boots in 10 seconds after BIOS

>I dont understand that HDD bandwidth is largely dependent on where on the platters the data is stored
Pic related. The line is all fucked up because the disk is in a RAID which is being utilized but you see the general curve

It is standard. My motherboard has it and it was only like $100.

The coolest thing is that m.2 x8 is coming soon!

That graph is worthless.

how

>all the young aussie shitpostlings migrating to Sup Forums for summer shitposting

Fuck.

>this
why does it always go down loke that?
My wd green does that and it pisses me off.
My wd blue ancient sata 3gbps doesnt do that and still has almost as good speeds as the gree, its only about 10 mbps slower

>4k: 0.756 MB/s

No, it does not do all right. Unless you mean that it is faster than a 3.5" floppy disc.

Nice. I bet that looks cool when both are filled. My mobo doesnt have min pci, but its got m.2 and that new sata connection that costs more than Im willing to spend on a harddrive.

>why does it always go down loke that?
The tracks on the ouside are larger than the ones on the inside of the platter. For each revolution more data passes under the heads for the outside tracks compared to the inside tracks.

>My wd blue ancient sata 3gbps doesnt do that and still has almost as good speeds as the gree, its only about 10 mbps slower
all HDDs do that, see above

lets see urs u lil bitch

Im not sure what the graph is, and isnt ext4 supose to write files consecutively?
wait.. the 2tb is nfts, fuck.
When Im copying something the write speed slows down more the longer the file is copying. It will start off at something, say 50 mbps, and just go down hill from there.

I have it saved a couple thousand times, so the market adjusts and any individual copy is worth nothing.

>Im not sure what the graph is
disk bandwidth over different addresses

>and isnt ext4 supose to write files consecutively
The graph is from the raid card which is ignorant of the underlying file system, which is vmfs5 not ext4. It is just reading from increasing addresses.

stay retarded user

i like the cut of your jib kid

Y-you too

Oh ok, it looks like mine.
Here is my disk benchmark from my green. Why does it do this? I dont know if thats differen sectors or not but the slope also represents my copy speeds.

If you mean slots:
They are useful in mITX if you wanna run another card on the PCIx slot.
If you mean..what?

The axes are unlabelled and the source is unkown.

>Why does it do this?
see >im too retarded to read greentext

Almost 4 years old.

Kys, animetard

>I dont know what a RAM disk is
>I dont know SATA3's max bandwidth
>I cant use 3rd party benchmarks which dont game the results.

>lets see urs u lil bitch

This is on a 4 year old Intel 330. Write performance is so low because of fragmentation - there is no place on the drive where it can sequentially write 1gb to achieve max performance.

Modern drives are much, much better. NVMe ones can hit 5 times higher values.

100mbps? Lmao. My 850pro is close to 6gbps.which is like what 550MB write and read

My sm961m. 2 has close 2400Mb read speed.

The further out you get on a "dvd" the further apart the data is, meaning it takes a longer time to access the data on the outside of the platter.

The further in you get the faster it is.

Now if only we could have square platters....

You're retarded user and should just stop embarrassing yourself now

Sandisk Ultra II
$140

I should have specified I was talking about a mechanical harddrive.
>2400 read
what drive is that? sm961 doesnt return anything usefull

m.2 drives are smaller, do they throttle more easily?

>640Kb is enough for anygoy

Youre right. Thats all I need, and I really dont want any more than that.

pretty terrible b8

but it is interesting to note booting off pci-e actually takes 0.5 seconds longer (on average) than a sata drive.

even if it can move 2k mbps till it ignites
youtube.com/watch?v=3hhdWwvh5kI
easily fixed by sticking some vrm sinks on it or having a fan nearby

>M.2 is now 2:1 SATA price per GB
SSD data drives soon

STFU YOU PIECE OF SHIT! ILL COME OVER AND KILL YOU WITH A SQUARE PLATTER.

NEVER EVER FUCKING REPLY TO MY POSTS AGAIN OR I WILL FUCKING CALL THE CYBERPOLICE ON YOU.

FUCKING SUBHUMAN, GO FUCKYOURSELF WITH YOUR DRAGONDILDO.

all jokes aside, that IS actually how it works tho.

This is the real meme interface

it's OEM and on back order wherever it's currently sold anyways user

>M.2 IS PCI you retard.
It's not always pcie, on newer devices most of the time but not always. Obviously though the sata based ones are shittier
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2