Thoughts on the 1060? I plan on upgrading to one soon and think it's one of the finest budget cards out there right now

Thoughts on the 1060? I plan on upgrading to one soon and think it's one of the finest budget cards out there right now.

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131697
homedepot.com/p/7-5-8-in-x-2-1-4-in-x-3-5-8-in-Clay-Brick-20050941/100676108
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Currently running one myself and I have yet to be disappointed

the 480 is better

This.

The only reason to go with nvidia is if you like to play old games like Half Life.

dumb amdrones

W-wait is the 480 not good for older games?

anything is good for older games

i dont speak meme

If it suits your needs have fun with it.

>6600k
>16gb ddr4
>gtx 970
>deus ex runs at 55-90fps with mostly high / very high settings
>ram usage up to 10gb
>b-but 16gb is useless
>vram usage up to 3.8gb, works perfectly fine
>b-but muh 3.5gb
>b-but muh skylake useless

that said the 1060 looks like good value, the 3gb one is a fucking scam tho

And Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 and GTAV and basically any DX11 game.

who would want to play any of that garbage

>deus ex runs at 55-90fps with mostly high / very high settings

Yeah, at 720p maybe you delusional cuck. The meme card can't even hit 1080/60 on medium settings.

Running it alongside a 4700k.
>hey_thats_pretty_good.png

What card are you currently running and what country are you buying from?
Do you really need to upgrade?
Can you spend a bit more money?
Also, make sure it's the 6gb version if you are going to buy.

>tfw bought a 980 a year or more ago and it's completely useless

kill me

>tfw when i swapped my 290x for a titan black

I want off this ride right now.

yeah, the 1060 is basically a 980 but
cheaper, rip

>no 8gb rx 480s at a reasonable price
wewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I was considering one, but now i'm done waiting.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131697
its like $30 over msrp so its as fair as its going to get

if i want to stick with win7 should i just get the 1060?

it doesnt matter the 480 and 1060 are more or less the same with dx11 (win7) its just the 480 is better with dx12

If you ever do emulation or work with Adobe stuff, you must never buy amd. They have atrocious OGL drivers.

stop shilling

>analblasted ayymdfag
AMD doesn't even have proper OGL 4.5 support.

>OGL
who cares its dead

Are you shitposting? The 1060 leads in most benchmarks on dx11.

Yea totally, AoS is such a much better game, and other DX12 garbage like Hitman.

AYYYMDFAGS belong in

Sup Forums here just shitposting by. Nobody plays AoS and hitman is a shitty single player game you play for 6 hours and never pick it up again.

retarded shitposters like you ruin this board

Retards who think OGL is dead ruin this board.
protip: professional programs aren't ditching OGL for vulkan and if you can't understand why, you should fuck off to

they will and you have autism

>Powercooler

check out this Powercooler 480 I found

homedepot.com/p/7-5-8-in-x-2-1-4-in-x-3-5-8-in-Clay-Brick-20050941/100676108

>being this autistic

I finally got my 1060 for $250 after Newegg restocked them a few days ago. I am pleasantly surprised by how efficient it is. Every time I take a look at it, the fan stop LED is on. The heatsink is efficient at dispersing and it keeps lower temps than I am accustomed to without even running the fan. I would OC it, but it crushes all the games I own without OC. I think the only time the fan kicked on was when I ran No Man's Sky on max settings.

This is with the Gigabyte Windforce model fyi.

>buying shitty no name brands
>still more expensive than they should be

nope.tiff

>nvidia
>numalessky
literally using shit to play shit

>brands EXDEEEEEEE

>reputation means nothing

Well, I was going to write a detailed and unbiased review on the card but unfortunately my browser crashed and I lost all of my text. Here is the general gist:

>1060 is really good.
>Perf in Dx11 and OpenGL is better than 480
>Becomes dated quicker than AMD
>Better in some dx12 games (might be because of how early the tech is)
>worse in all vulkan games that aren't ports
>Nvidia is anti-competative
>AMD respects MUH FREEDOMS, Nvidia doesn't as much

Despite all my negatives, it's still a very good card and you should at least consider buying it.

>oy vey goyim buy our shit its magically better than that other faggots shit that is the exact same shit as ours

>Perf in Dx11 and OpenGL is better than 480
lol no

It was certainly disappointing; they gutted the shit out of that game. Nevertheless, I had fun with it while it lasted. The nonexistent endgame is a huge letdown, but they might patch it over time.

As for the 1060, I can't think of anything to complain about; it does everything I need it to do and I don't run garbage like Windows 10, so I don't care if the 480 has better async or whatever the fuck.

>>>Better in some dx12 games (might be because of how early the tech is)
Only DX12 game where the 1060 is faster that I can think of is RotR and even there the developers are saying that you shouldn't use the DX12 mode for benchmarking just yet. As for Time Spy it's an absolute minimum feature level implementation made so that it'll run on older cards and Intel integrated graphics and is thus more or less useless as a benchmark. Futuremark literally refused to create any branches for hardware with support for more DX12 features.

I emulate a lot and enjoy PCXS2, would a rx 470 do me in with the open gl?

I don't think there really should be all that many issues unless you want to run at really high settings. If PCXS2 anything like Dolphin you're more likely to run into CPU bottlenecks than GPU ones.

>implying windows 10 is different from 7

>480 @ 1470 Mhz

I didn't realize water-cooling was allowed.
Also, Nice shilling.

it will be fine, plus a lot of stuff is moving over to vulkan now anyways

I'm not disagreeing with you, the games that don't take advantage of DX12 very well are the games that favor NVIDIA. However, in my eye this is likely because of how young the technology is, for the most part.

Windows 7 doesn't have DX12. So there's no advantage in using AMD cards. DX9 and DX11 don't have async compute. It will give you better Vulcan performance but nothing uses it yet. 1060 is better value right now. If you are a huge n64 emulation buff, go with AMD, since the new LLE emulator uses Vulcan to achieve playable speed.

Meant to say liquid nitrogen

RIP my witty quip

you also have to account for how many people WILL use vulkan though. This generation it will probably be 30% Vulkan 70% DX12

I could see emulators using Vulkan before most developers.

I've posted this in a few threads wondering what some would think of that price. I can't be arsed paying £40 more for as a 480.

I know 8gb is a waste but 6gb of it may not be.

How long are you planning on having this card?

water cooling doesnt matter any decent air cooler can do the same now stop shilling

4 years ish. I don't really have the clout to refresh too often. Not sure if I should spring more for an rx 480 if that's the case though.

I have an i7 920 running stock clocks
I'm thinking about getting a 1060 and doing 4ghz overclock.

will there be much of a bottleneck?

I also heard you can drop a xeon in, that also might be a option.

I'm from a 3rd world country and I'm tempted to buy a MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X, is it a good card? It'll cost me equivalent to 350 USD or should I wait for an EVGA GTX 1060 SC to be available?

An ASUS RX480 here cost around 350 USD as well.

READ NIGGA READ

also you have to win a huge fucking lottery silicon in order to be able to overclock that much.

As for your shilling attack, I have a R9 390x and Fx-8350. I chose AMD because they respect my software freedoms.

dumb nvidiot

No you don't now stop shilling nvidiot cuck amd can overclock and anyone who says otherwise is a shill

>dat core voltage
typical retarded amdrone

Nvidia is out of the question then. Also i'd spring for the 470 in your case, if you increase the card's voltage you can easily get it to within 90-95% of the 480. I'd rather not link it directly here, but for more information check out AdoredTV's 470 review.

Oh, it was bait the whole time. Damn.

>amdrone
>anime
opinion disregarded

Memory clock != core clock

also samefag?

Both great cards..

Buy whichever is cheapest in your local climate.

Unless you are playing at a pleb resolution, both of them will need to be upgraded in a years time anyway.

>proving amd can overclock is somehow bait
are you retarded

Is nVidia planning on ever producing enough 1060s that you can actually, you know, buy one? The non-shit tier ones are constantly sold out and when they aren't, they're like $349 USD.

>Nvidiot butthurt that he cant touch voltage
top kek now go back to /reddit/

>AdoredTV
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

no just get a 480

It does look good and the MSI is the quietest.

nice meme
$.01 has been deposited into your nvidia bankworks account

What's the next upcoming graphics card? 1080Ti?

vega

I got a zotac mini for my itx build for $360 Australian pesos(cheaper than stock 480's)

Didn't really expect too much... but this little fucker clocks well.
2.2 on the core with a max temp of 69c after changing the paste..
Gets a little "loud" but compared to my windforce3 290x/780 its quiet as fuck.

either that or 1050ti

1060 3gb scam already is the 1050ti

no the 1050ti specs have already been leaked from lapop shit

The GTX 1060 vs RX 480 debate is complicated.

At first it seemed that the 1060 was the better card overall, but recent games like Doom with Vulkan made things unclear.

IMO they are both on par, and we will see this year and the next both cards performing about the same with the occational X gives you 30% more fps than Y and viseversa.

Pick your poison, or just buy a 1070.

oh, I wasn't being serious. But this is interesting. Tell me more.

so much butthurt

you dont have to believe me I dont really care

always posting benchmarks without actually experiencing the thing yourself is retarded.

I'm 99% sure they used at least 4x MSAA here, which is stupid as fuck.

>just buy a 1070
Shouldn't one wait for a 490 though?

go back to /reddit/ with your reddit-tier """benchmarks"""

How common is applying thermal paste to GPUs? I mean, it makes sense, I've just never thought or I guess had to do it.

>The 980 getting btfo by the 290.

See kids, this is why you don't buy GPUs from a company that will make them obsolete when they want to.

if you are planning on playing on future titles that utilize dx12 and vulkan the 480 is the superior choice

>these benchmarks dont favor my preferred company!
>haha must be le reddit XD
do the world a favor and stick your head into a vat of acid

back to /r/amd
>mfw /x/ conspiracies have higher chance of happening than the shit that faggot spews in his channel

I'm willing to see what you're willing to put up. The only thing stopping you from proving me wrong is your chronic addiction to shitposting. Unfortunate.

>redditor telling someone else to go back to /reddit/

Where'd the meme that he's an AMD fanboy come from anyway? Is it just because he rants about AMD stuff when he goes in depth?

butthurt r/nvidia mod detected

>A redditor trying to fit in
Heh

Easy as pie..

And stock paste of most *cough*all*cough* cards sucks ass..

Be careful though make sure the manufacturer you choose allows removal of cooler.. some will refuse warranty.

I've probaly been here before you can make coherent sentences.

Samefag

The point on just buying the 1070 is so that you don't feel like a retard when you bought the 1060 and the 480 btfos the 1060 in "that game you will like in a year" or viceversa