So my raspberry pi came in, and im a little dissapointed. It can surf the internet and watch videos just fine...

So my raspberry pi came in, and im a little dissapointed. It can surf the internet and watch videos just fine, but I thought it would be like using a small laptop board with a different architecture.

This thing barely has a bios, and raspian is surprisingly lacking,including things like multiple users, including a proper list of preferences/administrative commands that I would normally get with debian. Hell, the piece of shit wouldn't hide the default user's password when I typed the new one.

Is it most of this really this limited for reasons I don't understand, or is raspian (at least installed offline through noobs) fucking garbage? Please tell me I can just learn how to make all of this suck less...

are you retarded?

*adminstrative programs, not commands

Today is not a good day for me, so yes, yes I am. Can you just answer my question?

Yes, the raspberry pi lacks a lot of shit that a modern OS has to make it cheap as fuck and simplistic Its meant for little projects, not to be a daily use desktop.

That thing either works as a basic server or as a media center. Forget using it as a normal pc.

>I thought it would be like using a small laptop board
You were wrong.

Thanks. It still seems like the people who maintain raspian are lazy as fuck though.

>This thing barely has a bios
youre a moron

The rpi company is a charity that gives kids in africa or whatever computers, and raspbian has only recently begun to be geared toward project-types or mini computer people like you or me. It works with what it's got, just with a different end goal in mind. It's not meant to be windows.

t. guy writing this on a rpi3 right now running a modified-as-fuck raspbian OS

OP you dumb fuck. Youre just used to GNOME and not LXDE.

And I cant comprehend how dumb you must be to think adding a new user is difficult

Are you poor?

You should be able to strip it down and install regular Debian packages instead. There are other distros as well.

yes, I realized that I said that wrong. I don't have one of those newer UEFI setups, so I have a bad habit of saying bios, and I have no clue what the pi uses, but I figured there might be something like a bios where I could switch shit around.

Which Pi did you get and how much did you pay? Also you can always use a non-Raspbian distro can't you?

you sound more and more retarded the more you say

You're a fucking moron. Replace raspbian with gentoo and setup a distcc server and STOP BEING A GOD DAMN BITCH.

Im not too upset because I mainly got this thing to use as an SSH server, backup server, experimental DIY shit, and eventually replace my mom's shitty power chugging dinosaur PC when im done with this thing. She doesn't want us spending a lot of money on a new one.

I sortof remember how to do it in terminal, but I wanted to do it quicker, like you would normally..

lol chill

A pi will do literally all of those things.
I run SSH from one pi to another pi in my basement that runs 3 tiny little websites. There's a large userbase that sperges out over the GPIO pins over on the website all the time, works well for diy. And it runs a hell of a lot better than an old dinosaur, that's actually the reason I got one as well

You just need to put the time in to get all the packages you need (you might have to build a couple from source, if you use apt-get you get some outdated packages sometimes).

>I sortof remember how to do it in terminal, but I wanted to do it quicker, like you would normally..

see

Thanks mate
I'm so damned tired I almost said command line instead of terminal. Hopefully you know what I mean instead of 'the normal way'.

user i'm sorry you're goin through this but incase you haven't noticed by now Sup Forums is pedantic as fuck with terminology

no one criticized his terminology you fucking idiot

fucking hell Sup Forums is full of massive fucking retards