Women in CS

How do we get more women interested in joining the CS profession?

Give me a good reason why we need to shovel more women into CS.

They aren't interested because there aren't any hot Chads. We need to get rid of the disgusting nerds and replace them with functioning members of society first.

>women

We don't

most women just don't like the stuff. they have every opportunity as men do.

Most women don't like computers or the implementation details of the software they use.
This actually applies to most people.

Most people ARE NOT INTERESTED in writing software for fun or even for a paycheck.

Systematic bottom up efforts to encourage attitudes, educational systems and mass media portrayals of men and women as not having innate biological differences in abstract reasoning.

Imagine that you're a girl and you walk into a programming 101 class. 1/3 of the people there are Pajeets, 1/3 of the people there are Wangs. The last third is made up of a mix of nerds who are either fat or way too skinny, playing autistic games like MTG, LoL, or discussing something about ponies or this strange thing from Japan called anniemay. There are no decent looking guys in the class.

You think that this is the type of atmosphere that gives women "every opportunity" as men do? No woman wants to sit in a room full of smelly nerds all they. They want to be with their other girlfriends or with Chads.

A better question is why should we give a shit? If a woman is interested in CS, she can go into CS. If she's not, who gives a rat's ass?

By focusing on writing quality code and stop fucking care what's in between the legs of who wrote it

Tough shit.
You think men enjoy that atmosphere?

This is the worst argument I've ever heard.

Lack of motivation then. It's like saying being surrounded by a bunch of prudish asians (subcontinental and slanty) in upper division physics or chemistry detracted from the experience. You realize it's not intrinsically social to learn and move on.

Offer free sex changes for existing programmers

Give them computers when they're like 4 or 5. Anything else is a waste of time. People who say the pipeline problem is a myth are have never seen a university CS class. Even if the attrition rate at that level is higher for women than it is for men you'd have to be an asshole with an agenda to ignore the fact that they're skewed 19:1 (or worse) male to female to begin with. So even a slightly higher attrition rate is going to have a much larger effect. And that skewed ratio probably doesn't help the attrition rate.

The only way to change this is to get more high school girls interested in computers. The only way to do that is to get more middle school girls interested in computers. The only way to do that is to get more elementary school girls interested in computers. The only way to do that is to make them comfortable with and curious about computers before they can even read. That requires parents and teachers giving them chances to explore and learn in both structured and unstructured ways. Waiting until a girl has already decided she wants to be a chemistry major (I won't even get into how useless it is trying to convince people without other "STEM" interests that CS is fun) before trying to convince her to get into CS just isn't going to work.

Unfortunately for the feminists barking up this tree in 2016 it means they have to completely shift their focus and then wait until at least 2026 or 2036 to see any real change. But that would require patience and a willingness to admit that you can't complain your way to am immediate demographic shift.

How do we get more women interested in the waste collection business?

This isn't a fair comparison. Women don't want to go into the waste collection business because it's a lot of hard work for low pay. Women want to get programming jobs. They are comfortable and pay a lot. Women are just turned away because the of the toxic atmosphere.

What makes women so special that they can't handle a "rough environment" where all their problems are entirely in their head and they would be experiencing a higher quality of life than 95% of the world population.

What makes your toxic atmosphere so special that you need to keep it? Why can't you just go out and exercise every once in a while, or talk about football instead of your creepy pedophile cartoons?

>How do we get more women interested in joining the CS profession?
A good first step is to get everyone to stop being arseholes to the women who do get into it.

>creepy pedophile cartoons

That's my cue to close the tab!

"It's a shit atmosphere, but instead of fixing it we'll just tell people to quit whining." Real useful.

>talk about football instead of your creepy pedophile cartoon

> implying I don't do both

So basically you like being paid a lot to sit in a cushy software job but you don't like the people who work in software, so you wanna push them out?

Real fucking useful.

>get more women interested in joining the CS profession

what if we had pink syntax highlighting

by not hiring white and asian males.

A) I don't work in software, B) I don't want to push anyone out, I want the people in it to behave better.

>This isn't a fair comparison. Women don't want to go into the waste collection business because it's a lot of hard work for low pay. Women want to get programming jobs. They are comfortable and pay a lot. Women are just turned away because the of the toxic atmosphere.
Hahaha, all this bullshit. You can ask Ada Lovelace, Grace Hopper, Marissa Mayer or Margaret Hamilton if they gave a shit about the "toxic environment"
What you white knights fail to acknowledge is that everything worth in life isn't easy. Academia doesn't give a shit about sex. Employers don't give a shit about sex. Get your heads out of your asses and get with the times

You don't like nerds.
You want the nerds gone so stacy can feel more comfortable.

Women don't want creepy nerds trying to hit on them. Seriously, stop raping women with your eyes.

I like nerds just fine if they can behave themselves.

Could you please clarify what "behave themselves" means?

It's hard to take you seriously when you reason in such black and white terms like this.

>You can ask Ada Lovelace, Grace Hopper, Marissa Mayer or Margaret Hamilton if they gave a shit about the "toxic environment"
When they were around there was no toxic environment. Programming was seen as a secretarial task mainly done by women.

Pre-med is just as infested with Harold and Kumar but that doesn't stop lots of sluts from studying it

>Programming was seen as a secretarial task mainly done by women.

Back then, programming work was basically on the same level as working telephone switchboards.
All you had to do was replace the vacuum tubes and feed in cards full of fortran instructions prepared by the male data scientists upstairs.

Give them very simple work that a child can do and pay them the same amount as someone doing real work.

Because there's far less of the "you can't possibly do this because you're female", both from within the field and society in general.

I went and looked up prominent women in the software field and the only ones who accomplished anything worthwhile are all male to female transsexuals.

Why are women so shit?

>I don't work in software

Look, I'm enthusiastically for more women in CS... to a degree that would make most on Sup Forums uncomfortable. But, get the fuck out of here you fucking dweeb. Your opinion is less then meaningless. You're noise. The only signal worth listening to is coming from people who actually do this for a living. We can police ourselves just fine you meddling twat.

I went and looked up prominent men in the fashion field and the only ones who accomplished anything worthwhile are all faggots.

Why are men so shit?

>tfw CS has been around for just as long as women's liberation
>tfw there's still barely ten women in the history of CS that have made any real contribution to the field
And yet there are still people that deny that there are innate biological differences between the neurology of men and women

"less than meaningless". Pardon my typo.

Gay men are still men.
Trans women are still men.

Men are just better at everything.

It really has little to do with the ATTRACTIVENESS of the men in question; guys don't enjoy being around disgusting guys either. It's more just that people feel out of place in a place full of the opposite gender.

This

Do you want to go into the waste collection business? No? Then stop whining about how women don't want to.

To increase your chances of finding a gf

Not sure about the others, but what Lovelace and Hopper did wasn't exactly "secretarial". Lovelace did a lot of theoretical work related to the Analytical Engine, and Hopper was a major contributor to the development of COBOL.

Basically, the secretarial work you're talking about (which was indeed done largely by women), is what today would be referred to as "coders", as opposed to programmers/computer scientists. Basically, tedious work to implement algorithms developed by someone else. But at least some of those women you mention were more computer scientists than mere coders.

>We can police ourselves just fine you meddling twat.
No group can police themselves worth a damn.

>is what today would be referred to as "coders"

Women dropped out of software in the late 70s as soon as computers became cheap enough that you could have one at every desk.
Suddenly, you actually needed to know how to design software systems in order to pull your weight and clearly, most women weren't up to the task.
Even today, where most trivial CRUD application problem has 10,000 working solutions on Stack Overflow, women still think coding is hard.

Programming has literally never been easier and women still aren't biting.
Women, in general, DO NOT ENJOY SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT.

This is bait.

You know very well that fashion has no use value. It's worthless.

With the exception of Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Paul Smith, Hubert de Givenchy, Tommy Hilfiger, Stephen Williams, Guccio Gucci, Mario Prada, Louis Vuitton, Yves Saint Laurent, Pierre Cardin...

Oh fucking spare me. We're talking about the culture of an industry here not how much it does or doesn't pollute the environment or something of equal importance.

Grace Hopper (who was apparently born female) wrote the first ever compiler, in assembly language, within 3 years of first encountering a computer. She was also an early proponent of the idea that computer languages should be designed so that humans could understand them.

Just because a difference exists, doesn't mean it's caused by neurological differences. And the number of "greats" in computer science, male or female, can probably be counted on one hand. Most of the well-known people in the tech industry were only mediocre programmers, their main claim to fame is their business skills.

>Gay men are still men
Yes, but that fails to explain why they perform some tasks better than straight men, especially considering they are often more woman-like than straight men are.

All closet faggots

>why don't you conform

And there you have it. The agenda to get more women into programming isn't to solve a diversity problem, it's to upset the status quo of people that I don't like.

>Hopper was a major contributor to the development of COBOL.

You mean like how Marie Curie was little more than a glorified lab assistant for her husband but is remembered as being a "major contributor" to the study of radiation?

>Not sure about the others, but what Lovelace and Hopper did wasn't exactly "secretarial". Lovelace did a lot of theoretical work related to the Analytical Engine, and Hopper was a major contributor to the development of COBOL.
Mayer ran Yahoo when everyone (male included) were chikening out.
Hamilton wrote the landing software for the Apollo, which was so good that it handled errors thrown by other on board software.

Of course white knights will fail to recognise the effort they made to archive what they did

Mayer destroyed Yahoo, wtf are you talking about?

>they perform some tasks better than straight men
See the ratio of straight fashion designers:gay fashion designers is not much different to the ratio of straight men:gay men in the general population

>A) I don't work in software
Then your opinion doesn't matter. Get the fuck out.

Looks like someone is salty at Curie contributions.

>I like jews just fine if they can behave themselves.

Kek, Mayer definitely ran Yahoo, she ran it straight into the ground

>Women dropped out of software in the late 70s as soon as computers became cheap enough that you could have one at every desk.
Because the majority (not including exceptions like Hopper) were not really "in software", they were just doing tedious, menial work (switching wires and putting in punched cards), and those jobs were no longer needed when you could simply type in a program on your terminal and hit run. Women continued doing secretarial jobs, but those jobs were no longer a required part of the process of using a computer.

>Even today, where most trivial CRUD application problem has 10,000 working solutions on Stack Overflow, women still think coding is hard.
I think it's more that there are a LOT of idiot programmers, male and female (I say this from experience as a computer science major), but women are far more willing to admit they are having difficulty and seek help, while men are basically taught throughout their life to avoid showing weakness and handle everything on their own.

Fashion is a form of art. Do you think art is worthless?

There is no "you can't possibly do this because you're female" from within the programming community. At least, no more than in any other field.

She would have had to actually have made some contributions for me to be salty about them

She served as technical consultant on the COBOL committee, and was the head of the team that developed FLOW-MATIC, the predeccessor of COBOL.

Not the guy you're replying to but art is by very definition worthless, if it had intrinsic value it would cease to be art

Women are for m8ting m8.

>She served as technical consultant
Then she definitely did jack shit but got lots of unwarranted credit.
t. technical consultant

Maybe "worthless" is not the word you are looking for. Something can still have value even if that value is not intrinsic.

I didn't say she saved yahoo. She just took leadership when no one wanted it.
yahoo has been dead since early 2000s but at the very least she tried to save it without firing people left and right, and for a while yahoo stock went up.

Her management style was learned at Google (where she was among the firsts employees) but it became evident that it wasn't working. Still worth mentioning since there are faggots that think that women in IT must all be some sort of goodness who make no mistake. She came, she failed and she kept going. Like any person should.

we offer them bukake sessions. In school, at work, everywhere..

with them fucking everything, people will pay more for us