I'm trying to play Doom on a GTX 970 at 1080p

I'm trying to play Doom on a GTX 970 at 1080p.

Every video I see shows it running between 70 and over 100 fps on maxed out settings, but I can't even get a stable 60fps without bringing down the resolution scaling a bit

I also checked my 970's temperature during gameplay and it was reaching 90° C while all my other components were in the 30's and 40's.

Why is my card struggling so much when it should be playing Doom with ease?

What CPU do you have?

Dont use vulkan, it makes it run worse

it's an i5 2500K

I'm using OpenGL.

Did you install windows 10 as an update to windows 7 or 8?

if so, wipe your os and install windows 10 fresh

for some reason all my vidya ran slow as shit no matter what I did until I gave up and did that

it's possible the vram usage is above 3.5Gb

i would use a program to check on ur cpu and gpu usage and details while running the game

>Resolution scaling
Why?
Run that shit at native senpai

This. Had the same issue on my 670.

Your heat sink is fucked
I never see my 970 go above 70C under max load even when with a mild overclock
It's probably thermally throttling itself.

Those benchmarks were done with a better cpu than yours.

You're mother was done with a better cpu than yours.

dont you get black borders when running at a deprecated res?

90°c hot damn senpai!

No one's bringing up the fact is when 90°c, the 970 throttles

>mfw this retarded

>Did you install windows 10 as an update to windows 7 or 8?
I upgraded from 7. I really hope that's not the issue.

It's possible. what's the best way to check?

because it's not running well at native 1080p

shit

So if I replace my heat sink i'll start getting higher framerates?

true, but one of them did have the same cpu and it was running a solid 60fps, probably with vsync

no. it just stretches it out across the whole screen and the Anti aliasing smooths it out.

90 c is insane.
Water boils at 100 c.

How hot is your room op?

83 F

You may not need to replace the whole heatsink, maybe just replace the paste and remount it.
All I can tell you for sure is that something about your cooling is fucked

>So if I replace my heat sink i'll start getting higher framerates?
Give us a pic of your chassis, pic related hits 90C even with a 6000 RPM 80mm fan feeding the GTX 980s. You might just be fucked

>tfw chilly 50°C on RX 480 Vulkan Ultra settings @ 1920x1200

>playing doom

One of the fans looks like it's being blocked by a cable. I'm gonna move the cable to another port and see if that helps

OK so I had to move 2 cables to different ports and now the fan is running again, but it has a slight wobble to it.

Are you sure the heat sink isnt clogged with dust? It looks like it might be. And is the right fan dead? Why is only one fan spinning?

You're shit

>playing doom
You bet!

>GTX 970 at 1080p
Found the problem

Is that right fan missing a blade? It looks like the gap in the bottom is far bigger than the gap betwene the rest of the blades

there is some dust in there that I'll have to clean out, but the fan not moving was from the 2 black cables under it. I moved them out of the way and put them in different ports and now the fan is running just fine. I'm going to test the game and see if there's any changes in framerate and temperature.

It does look like that in the picture for some reason, but no there's no missing blade

This thread should be saved and posted to anyone who thinks Cable Management is pointless

So right now it looks like your game was running slowly because you're graphics card was thermal throttling because you're a spazfucker who couldn't do adult legos properly.

I hope for the sake of your pride that this business with the fans isn't the problem.

>you're graphics card

It's the year of our lord 2016, and google still can't stop it's botnet phone from autocorrecting me into using the wrong form of your. Fuck you google.

Oh nVidia... What even.

My 280x has 0.5GB less RAM than your 970 does and gets triple digit framerates at 2560x1440

> Buying nvidia

Stuff a quarter in your asshole pal, because you just played yourself

do a fresh windows 7 install, the upgrade might seem fine at first but over time performance degrades

Ok so I''m at a constant 60 fps and was able to max out the graphics and resolution scaling. and my card's temperature is 71° C now that the fan is running again. Thanks for all the help, Sup Forums

That's fine with me.

>0.5GB less
Your 280x has 3.5GB vram?
What?

Why am I suddenly hungry for a big plate of spaghetti?

>he doesn't know the 970 is a 3.5GB card

> He doesn't get the joke

What the fuck, learn some proper cable management. The fans are not working at anywhere near their potential because everything is blocked.

What are your temps?

learn to read a thread retard

There a bit of a difference between bad cable management and the cable is fucking stopping the fan

it's just an extreme case of bad cable management

HI hello I don't want to start a new thread so I'm going to bootleg off this one

I just recently built a new computer and my FPS seems low as fuck for a 1070/i7-6600k build. I'm getting 40 - 60 FPS on Witcher 2 with everything maxed and vsync off and was getting only a maximum of 70 on Ryse: Son of Rome. My temps are great, my usage looks good so not really sure what to look for next. I'm currently afraid of launching Witcher 3 because I'm pretty disappointed since my computer should be blowing through these games

These are overclock benchmarks btw

Did you read the thread? Make sure cables aren't in the way of a fan or something.

Otherwise, I suggest reinstalling your OS. As you said user, your computer should be blowing through those games.

970 has 4GB of usable vram and you can't prove me wrong.

Meme all you want though :^)

Nvidicucks btfo

tell that to the 30 bucks I'm entitled to because Nvidia falsely advertised the card

>tfw 60c sunny at the beach w/ r9 390 ultra at 130 average fps

Most test sites have room temp at like 68f when they test.

That wasn't over the vram you tech illiterate nigger. That was for the ROPs and l2 cache