Discord is complete garbage

Discord is complete garbage.

There is no way to schedule meetings, easily review or archive chat logs, the interface is cancerous and full of useless gimmicks that can't be turned off.

There are hundreds of suggestions in the feedback system to make this turd more bearable to use but none of them ever materialize. Some of those suggestions were already proposed last year. The devs seem more active on their stupid subplebbit than their own website.

If this application would be open source at least those suggested features could be implemented by users themselves. But stupid ass devs want it all locked down.

At the end of day it's an ultra-shitty IRC replacement with voice chat. Shit I'm furious any of you idiots actually use it.

Other urls found in this thread:

mattermost.org
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

just make something better haha

Discord is, by it's very nature, a piece of gamerware (software for gamers), and therefore it is utterly a piece of cancerous garbage. I suggest you use Skype :)

Skype is closed turd too.

I have to ask but is Discord the new american tech meme?
It's always out of nowhere that people try to push us into new services when the old ones work just fine.

>skype
>works fine
Good joke

who the fuck is trying to schedule meetings and archive chat logs using a gaming voip... its for gamers to easily setup a server and talk to friends... im actually shocked that you can be this retarded.

skype was good before it got sold to micropajeet

Discord is actually great if you use it for what it's for.

Guys why cant i make pizza with my teflon pan. Omg it sucks

Why are you surprised?
Discord is literally Sup Forums: the proprietary chat application.

What do you suggest fot voice chat with only 1-2 other people thats not skype?

if you want an alternative to skype then use tox or pidgin. If you wanna voip then mummble or teamspeak. Both skype and discord are awful.

Tox
I made the logo

Opensource? No thanks I dont want some insecure amateur project

>Schedule meetings

That's my main complaint with slack too - I don't mind that it doesn't have voip, as everyone has Skype, but it's frustrating that it doesn't have shared calendars. It would be especially nice if it could integrate a linked calendar of sorts, which can pull information from all major services.

>no thanks i don't want freedom

You can put a botnet in yourself famalam. That's freedom.

>insecure

It's encrypted communication and open source meaning you can fully view the source code. You cannot get more secure than this.

>There is no way to schedule meetings
nigga why the fuck do you need a meeting to just play CSGO or league

>Meetings
Nigga this isn't fucking SharePoint, get a grip you fuckin plen

Slack

Try Wire fampai. It's like Skype/Discord without the ad/spyware of Skype and the "gaymur maymays XD" of Discord.

Biggest beef is the shit voice quality compared to TS3

Are people really that easy to band wagon shit due to hype, or just deaf?

most people just don't care

> I'm angry that you use something I don't like

They dont care that they have to keep asking what the shit people said because it keeps cutting out, or going into robot voice?

the fuck?, even skype is better than this in voice quality.

Oh, I though you were referring to bitrate, not actual connection drops/packet loss

I wonder if corp rats only came after hearing about the infamous hacker, or if shitchan's always had corp rats

really an app name discord is not very productive? go fucking figure...

mattermost.org

Yeah I was looking at it previously.

Tried it, the application stalls too much.

I always hated discord, only use curse now.

>requires phone number
topkek

It does its job. Unless you are completely autistic (lmao I forgot where I was).

>ridiculously simple to use
>don't even need to download a program
>highly functional browser based version
>you can even have tech illiterate normies up and running in minutes
>good chat quality
>dark theme doesn't look like pure cancer
>free w/o ads (for now)
>unlimited free servers
>good text chat and chat bot functionality
>lightyears ahead of ts3 and mumble

Discord is a godsend for podcast interviews, and by far the best solution for the target audience. Stop complaining, because your WOW clan stopped using your riced out mumble server, you gigacucks.

Don't like it, make a better client.

Skype is even more cancer and so are you.

>ridiculously simple to use

A lot of programs are. Not a good metric to compare.

>don't even need to download a program

Like that's an issue with anyone.

>highly functional browser based version

Refer to previous.

>you can even have tech illiterate normies up and running in minutes

I'm not concerned about normies.

>good chat quality

Text chat? They one where if you want to review previous messages you have to contstantly scroll up and wait for it them to load? Or the one that starts auto-editing your last message? Or maybe the one that has hard to read gray-on-gray text?

>dark theme doesn't look like pure cancer

It sure does though. There's also nothing compact about the application.

>free w/o ads (for now)

They're coming due time and considering it's a closed source application it won't be possible to remove or filter them.

>unlimited free servers

For now...

>good text chat and chat bot functionality

That's part of community effort. Discord devs still suck ass.

>lightyears ahead of ts3 and mumble

I don't see an argument here.

>Shit I'm furious any of you idiots actually use it.
I wouldn't even have known it existed if you idiots didn't keep shilling it on Sup Forums

Just fuck off already with your proprietary garbage, either make something free or don't bother telling me about it

The real question is how they're going to monetize
You think they're already selling user data, or just still sucking that VC teat dry as long as they can?
They say they're going to move into cosmetic purchaseables but we've yet to see any progress towards that.

Nobody cares freetard. Go jerk off to your IRC abandonware.

>not a good metric to compare
So being convoluted as fuck is a good thing? It's much simpler to use than ts3, mumble, hell, even skype
>like that's an issue
Perfect for use on a work laptop, when you're not supposed to download foreign programs, and speaking with people that don't want or need to download it. Ie: talking with dad, who won't be using it regularly
>not concerned with normies
Other people have to be. This is not an argument.
>chat quality
I meant VoIP. Better than Skype, and on par with mumble, plus several extra features, such as speaker overlay
>cancer
Subjective. Are you seriously implying any of the alternatives even come close, aesthetically?
>Free
Time will tell. I'd be willing to pay a small one-time fee. It's a good service
>Discord devs suck ass.
How does that take away from the previous statement?
>I don't see an argument here.
Me either

>uses a chat/gaming source for business.

Id fuck off right now pal

You can change the bitrate for the channels. Not sure what can be done for the packet dropping, etc.

even on max its shit.

>Discord

It's because with TeamSpeak someone has to host the server, and the guy who hosts it is in charge
With Discord you can have your "own" private server without paying a cent
Which actually rises a question, how Discord is planning to make money from the service? It's amassing a huge userbase by being completely free but this can't last forever.

Also their "desktop" client is a joke.

I hate it, but all my fucking friends are apparently incapable of using IRC.

>but this can't last forever
I think there's more of an issue with paying the developers rather than hosting tons of text.

their desktop client is fucking chrome in a new skin lmao

Why does this exist
github.com/Zyst/discord-Sup Forums-theme

It's proprietary.
That should be more than sufficient to dissuade you from using it.

it has more features than TS3, their mobile app is free and my friends are loving not having to pay the hosting
other than the voice quality being a bit shittier, i don't see why i shouldn't use it (for now)

Man just use irc its very good. IDk why you all left irc to start desu.

Because all my normie friends would get scared by IRC and no voice chat

Besides voice chat discord has channel linking so everyone is informed what's available. If you only use single channel then basically IRC is better.

IRC has no voice chat (no, DCC is not an option)

Worst thing is that Discord today is literally the best VoIP/chat application for non-tech savvy people, but it doesn't work as a replacement for IRC/Skype/XMPP/etc.

>Which actually rises a question, how Discord is planning to make money from the service?

Sell the service to someone.

Eventually it will change for the sake of monetization and when they screw up even slightly Curse is lying in wait.

No one on Sup Forums would unironically recommend Skype

I hope

>XMPP
There is another protocol that tries to fix the mess of XMPP: matrix.org

>Skype
I'd say Discord replaces it pretty well. The main thing Skype would have over it is video-calling, as far as my experience goes.

it was dead on arrival
why would ANYONE use a web browser disguised as standalone program?

Download the channel list and set up tinychat sessions as needed????

yeah gonna stream fappy times with gf on tinychat

what could possibly go wrong

It does the job good for what it's for, I don't know what you are complaining about OP

Are the servers able to be personally hosted? Is it as secure as running your own IRC network, rather than one of the existing ones? Or is this like slack, where you use their infrastructure?

It has potential to improve on IRC features, it is at least normie friendly by comparison.

>why would ANYONE use a web browser disguised as standalone program?
Why not? It's convenient to use, while more lightweight than Skype.

It's closed source and everything is kept in their servers. Bot host services also have access to this data. The data isn't secure.