/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

first post for seiko master race

Indeed.

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

Do you own anything that's not a Seiko?

I do.

I sold off a lot of my pieces over time (Both Seiko and non Seiko) so my collection varies from time to time.

Looking to get another Swiss piece (Vintage/Dress/Auto) and an NY0040, though i got a 8346 in the mail.

What do you guys think about citizen watches in general? Any obvious reason for not getting one?

The Eco-Drive watches are great. Some are a bit ugly, there are nice ones though like pic related.

Generally pretty meh for their price, particularly in the attention to detail department. movements are okay.

As an aside is there an easy way to Polish out that fairly deep scratch on the crystal or will I have to pay through the nose to have it replaced?

If it's a mineral crystal, you're going to have to replace it.

why do you guys never talk about smart watches like the samsung or lg

>What do you guys think about citizen watches in general? Any obvious reason for not getting one?

i wish they would make an ecodrive dive style watch

all their shit is so ugly

the ecodrive is genius though

because they are rapidly outdated and useless as an investment?

smart watches appear to be turning into health and gps tracking devices.

People occasionally do and your more than welcome to try to start up conversations about them but these threads are more about traditional watches.

that's like saying your cell phone or video card is not a good investment, its nice getting text updates on your wrist

There are Eco-drive divers.

Seiko made the first solar Quartz movement, so no, the Eco-drive is not "genius"

i get far more emails then text messages, and i don't have push email turned on.

apart from the garmins, the smart watches appear to be useless without a phone, so i'd rather spend that money on a phone.

>There are Eco-drive divers.

they are ugly though

>Seiko made the first solar Quartz movement, so no, the Eco-drive is not "genius"
the eco drive is different, lasts longer and does not need you to replace the power cell, 20+ years without having to fuck with your watch in any way

better than the movement you came up with

just got a moto 360 for $50, it's pretty freaking cool

My daily carry.

Every rechargeable cell will lose the ability to hold a charge eventually.

What's the normal service interval on a Seiko solar movement?

I'm looking for a reasonably priced valjoux 72 with a black dial.

>What's the normal service interval on a Seiko solar movement?

don't know

citizen will replace the powercell for free for the life of the watch, so you never have to buy one

So how do straps really work? Can I buy any watch a replace the strap with one a I want? Do most brands offer the same watch with different straps?

There's loads of aftermarket straps for sale.

Nice. The 33xx movements are excellent.

Read the guide in the OP.

>tfw my obscure GP quartz still hasnt arrived

in the meantime, r8 pic

The guide just talks about the different kinds and doesnt answer my questions. Is it common to buy a watch and replace the strap?

> Is it common to buy a watch and replace the strap?

Yes to most cases.

I see a few newcomers, along with what i think is that Thai GS/KS quartz which was posted a while ago (?).

Guess i'm going to going hunting in the Jaffa market real soon. I'll try to dig up something interesting.

Digging it overall.

Crap I was afraid of that.

What watch is this?

thx senpai :3
not the thai one, i got it at around the same time though.

>they are ugly though

Look up the "Excalibur" promaster divers.

Nice Bagelsport m8.

R8 my nine year old cousins watch

Which would you choose?

104i, I like divers

556i, very classy yet sporty.

Wow, nice collection.

Shitty Homage

556 is the most versatile choice

that looks like something a romanian gypsy would wear.

oh shit, I'm sorry

Bretty gud, user. Does the Raketa Amphibia have a ratcheting bezel or is it the same as on the Vostok?

What are the best looking chronographs under 2k?

Most watches have their strap or bracelets attached in a pretty much universal way (but not universal size). This is so straps can be replaced or changed out.

It's common

>oh shit
because there's no shit like steinshit

>muh gun

its even looser then vostoks. i like it though, its made out of plastic from when plastic was still considered cool

I can tell you don't know shit about smart watches.
>currently have one, best watch I've ever owned.
Also, rapidly outdated? What kind of dicks are you smoking on user?

the newest addition to the meme team

Unsure if that's sarcasm or?

Either way, pic related coming in soon.

Different user chiming in.

The on-board hardware ages quickly (Not necessarily planned obsolescence) with each software update making it less and less usable (especially on earlier models), the screens at times are not legible enough in conditions of harsh sunlight (Depends on the model), subpar battery life leading to both it failing to be a reliable time keeper and daily charging and the limited to no existent waterproofing is a big nope.

Now, the subpar battery life that lasts between 24~48hours at most depending on usage is the biggest obstacle here. Since they must be constantly connected to a mobile phone to receive alerts on emails, messages, call and etc the battery life will drain quickly. 3G supporting models are an interesting idea, but don't quite nullify that issue.

As they sit right now they aren't quite mature enough, with loads of space to improve. Though it seems that most companies have slowed down on this lately.

I understand that these are more guidelines than anything, but they do explain as to how a watch strap is held in place (more or less)

Guess i ought to add a few lines for dummies when i release the next update of it. Updated version with is somewhere on my laptop, which i can't seem to find after moving (Which i hoped i didn't forget at the base).

R8 mine while you're at it Just replace the soon to be sold resin brick with and SKX on an older GL styled rubber strap.

my nigga.

I just got this vintage one today.

aw snap

what is a good watch in the 250€ price range?
I think i prefer quartz

I have that same watch. Super shit cheap ass feel. But at least the wrist strap is comfy.

i like most of it except the gshock, but i do think two seiko's with nearly identical dials is a bit much. best solution; buy more watches :3

for dressy swiss autos i would look at vintage omega or longines.

bruh i wont ever be spending more than like $150 on the watch. being cheap is the whole point lol

>vintage omega or longines
Was thinking on an old Omega for quite a while but with a soldiers budget over here it's troublesome.

Might get a handwound Omega or some other less known Swiss brand (Eterna, Wittnauer, Tissot and such). Or to see what i can dig up on Monday.

there's p nice handwound omega geneves for cheap to find on ebay, i dont even like automatic movements desu

Define cheap.

What i get here per month is what i used to do 2.5 days worth of work, so even a 250$ Omega is on the border.

What are you doing user?

Only hint you're going to get.

Though, i get paid a bit more than the regular soldier but not by much.

You can get COSC quartz for around $340 US or 300 euros. Or you can go cheaper and get a precisionist Bulova.

>What i get here per month is what i used to do 2.5 days worth of work

Economic warfare is a hell of a thing

nice watch-strap combo

Get a nice Swatch
pic related

I got this neat box the other day. I don't even use the Polar anymore because the HRM that came with it is busted.

The steel fossil is the first watch I ever owned, my mom gave it to me when I was young and we had very little. I need to get a new battery for it. Probably the reason I bought the second fossil, sentimental transference or something.

Where did you get the box?

trouble with Apple products is that before new hardware comes they push out OS upgrades that cripple old machines to provide a more dramatic """improvement""" for new hardware. I would not put past them that they even slowed the clock.

Anyways the hardware is way overkill. A 1 GHz Snapdragon is only used because the programmers for these watches are the equivalent of the frankenwatch "repairmen". The result is more bad programmers and hardware that sucks batteries dry in a day.

It is strange to think that the first spreadsheet ran in 48 KB on a 1 MHz 8-bit processors but then again that was a different class of programmers.

Walmart actually, it's got a little drawer on the front too... I keep my pocket knifes in there and a couple other things. Was on clearance for $20 so I said what the heck.

>It is always 17:20 where I live. The chrono police have not yet caught on, thankfully.
When are you translating the text? I seem to remember a colleague(?) of yours reported in with a similar symbol in gold.

National service? Should only be 2 years, right?

Seems my pay rises whenever we get to US to gives us more "aid" shekels per year.

Okay.

Hint No.2, i'm an airforce kike and said buddy is a naval kike.

2 years and 8 months total, 2 years left to go though. And national service here is a completely different thing.

>nice watch-strap combo
I do what i can.

Pic related

One of the better collections in /wt/, good job user.

8/10

Fake of an already dogshit watch.

Is that a real NF? Nice AR, also great watch as well. One of the best swiss made watch under $1000.

Where is that mesh bracelet from? Looks great.

FACT: all people who wear metal mesh or gold metal bands look like this.

1. Correct
2. Are Hublot's dogshit? I quite like them

thanks familia :3

theyre like the high segment equivalent of fashion watches. like for real they make a new limited edition every week.

hey thanks man

it's hard to find any appreciation in this thread that's supposed to be about the appreciation of watches.

>it's hard to find any appreciation in this thread that's supposed to be about the appreciation of watches.
That's because you buy shit like Steinheart.

Don't listen to them user, Steinhart is a good brand nothing wrong with owning one. In fact its probably better than whatever overpriced brand they wasted good money on.

this what we're doing now? hokay.

I take this g-shock out in the wilderness when hunting. These things are indestructible.

>Don't listen to them user, Steinhart is a good brand nothing wrong with owning one.

>In fact its probably better than whatever overpriced brand they wasted good money on.

kek

it's like you hate quality for a great price

man you should buy a steinhart
top tier basically a rolex quality™

Next thing you will tell me you own a MK23.

close enough

>hk
Absolutely disgusting.

why in gods name would you buy a polymer sig

like damn son

same reason he bought a timex

>he thinks his hk is better than my poly sig because it cost 3x as much
I bet you think glocks suck for the same reason.

Also it's 1 of 2 poly sigs I own, and I used to own a 3rd. My favorite feature is where they down pull your pants down as they don't weigh 9001 lb.

don't* pull them down