Don't want to buy AMD after they dropped support for my 6970 so quickly

>don't want to buy AMD after they dropped support for my 6970 so quickly
>nvidia doesn't scale as well at dx12/vulkan

Will gcn get dropped like hd6000 soon? I'm not really happy with AMD but it looks like its the only choice.

Other urls found in this thread:

community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1435
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>>don't want to buy AMD after they dropped support for my 6970 so quickly
What? I can still get the latest drivers for my 5850.

Latest drivers are a year old unless you want beta drivers that gimp performance

DX12 and Vulkan will never, ever be relevant.

you would be happy with nvidia even less when it comes to support

DXMD has the fucking r9 380 beating the gtx 970

HD5000 and 6000 series got legacy'd only because they were pre-gcn, which amd seems to be staying on for the foreseeable future.

>so quickly
>Release date: December 15th 2010
>so quickly

I agree that AMD are stupid for not providing a placebo for absolute fucking morons like you though. You see Nvidia releasing """""new""""" drivers for the GTX 400 series and think the grass must be greener, when in reality there's no fucking difference and you both have a functional Windows 10 driver. But the placebo of Nvidia re-releasing it every month convinces morons like you that they must be hard to at work optimising the latest games to work on a GTX 460. And that's why AMD should be doing this as well - because there are lots of stupid people about.

DX 11 forever?

yeah AMD are fucking cucks.

my hd5850 2gb is still usable today
but cucks from AMD no longer want to supply me with optimized drivers for new games.

never ever buying AMD GPU again

it's not a placebo with fallout 4 beta drivers i received good 5fps average gain on my old ass GPU

>you don't need drivers guise
t. AMD pajeet

>The placebo is totally real guise!!1
t. Sup Forums

Dude you have no idea what you're talking about. Nvidia still provided up to date drivers for 8xxx series until just recently. You can still use those on Windows 10 if you really want to.

I don't know m8, those updates seem to do something. Especially in newer games, I usually gain a few extra fps once nvidia updates their drivers for the 600 series.

API changes and OpenGL updates are placebo updates?

Oh shit I should be using AMD with no drivers then since it doesn't matter... oh wait XD it does.

Actually nvidia does do that. They do optimize the driver so that latest games "work" on old cards. I was playing The Witcher 3 the other day on a GTX 460.
... At 26 FPS. Worked without any issues. Aside from the shit frame rate.

Most of the time I've been able to run modern games with old nvidia hardware, the only issue is performance... in that it's shit. To be fair tho, nvidia doesn't even sell modern cards that have 336 CUDA cores anymore.

Just remember,

Maxwell (2014) is are already legacy.
HD 7000 (2012) is not legacy.

EOL Drives wich are the ones mentioned for W10 for the 8000 series are that EOL Drivers

For the other series legacy drives are indeed in the small picture, just a lines of code saying they support the legacy series, in the big picture they come with a few upgrades that really don't do much.

Battlefiled 3 was the last game i could play nice on my 8800GTX and that was medium to high settings at 768p.

My brother HD 7770 still plays good anything that isnt DOOM beyond medium settings or Forza Apex @1080p.

My 970 is fine but lately a friend of mine who has a 390 is spanking my 970 in several games.

Im waiting for Zen/Kaby/Vega to drop and update my i5 2400 and my 970.

HD 7000 is legacy, AMD to the best of my knowledge is no longer producing any of those cards. At least not without changing the numbers on the box.

What are you talking about? We are still at DX10. DX11 is just DX10.1b

>2010 was 6 years ago

fuck...

community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1435

Well HD 7600 and down is the mobile GPU's. since that time AMD made only APU's with integrated gpus.

You can see there are a few HD 8000 series exactly because of that.

But no HD 7750 or 7770, nor 78-7900 gpus are legacy.

I think i have a VaporX 5750 somewhere would be nice to do some benchmarks against the 7770 and the 8800GTX.

AMD only changed numbers in the High end actually and made tweaks...same as in his time did Nvidia with the 8800-9800-260-360(OEM) series.

You do realize that the 5750 was released 3 years after 8800 and the 7770 6 years, right? I mean in theory, the 8800 GTX is not significantly weaker than the 5750 and it has a modern architecture unlike the 5750 but I can't imagine either of these cards would run a modern game, specially when a GTX 460 struggles which is a more powerful and modern design than 5750.
The 8800 GTX doesn't even support DX11 or SM5.0 for example.

Even if the 77xx GPUs aren't legacy, I don't see what the point is. What's the merit of producing these 4 years after release? Who buys them brand new?

The point is:

Excatly because the 8000 series introduced CUDA and Stream processors, they been using that architecture until now, of course uArch are vastly different but makes my point.

AMD had VLWI4 and VLWI5 before the introduction of GCN on the HD 7000 series.

In paper the 8800GTX was much older and slower to my HD5750-7770 but the 3 played BF3 at the same exact levels, HD 7770 being able to use better quality texture and being more stable on FPS but with the 5750-8800 still playable (45+FPS)

The trend of Nvidia moving gpu's to "legacy" is mostly of marketing that is not the newer/most powerful line of gpu's it also serves as a buyer's beware and even helps boost sales on both ends, it's all cumulative in the big picture.

AMD doesn't do that because, A: they want to exploit the GCN architecture scalability in terms of long time support and improve their "no drivers" image (wich have been doing good lately.

Once we got Navi we will start see EOL of the HD 7000 series and such.

I can go as far to say that after Navi/Volta, the GPU market is goin to become more aggresive in this aspect since they're promoting perf/watt down our throats.

As i said im waiting for the new product lines before upgrading but i see a lot of headroom and troubles one we got mobile versions of said product lines.

Nvidia and AMD are much quieter in the mobile version of their product lines so i looking forward to having a kabylake i5 or zen+ APU with a nice beefy volta/navi gpu.

>buying AMD
>Ever
ISHYGDDT

Recent drivers are there to optimize performance and that's it.
You can run witcher 3 on a driver from 3 years ago if you want

Actually they are mostly there for bug fixes. Sometimes newer software doesn't run on older hardware if the driver doesn't have fixes/workarounds.

Performance is nice, but it's very rare that performance is increased by anything significant.