youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

even mac has more

Steam OS is just Debian

>What is SteamOS
Not even Valve knows

"No games" isn't meant to be taken literally. There are simply far fewer games for Linux.

Nothing against Linux but, the refusal of the various developers to make it user friendly for the average person is what's preventing it from gaining market share at a rate faster than 2.5 percentage points per decade.

People are crying out for an alternative OS and the people who have the power to deliver it don't want to do so because things are cooler when only they and a few others understand how to use them.

Can't act superior if all you have to do to make something work is double click it.

Pretty much this.

I don't want to be stuck with botnet 10 but it's obviously the best option for someone in my position.

I don't want to use some obscure OS that requires months to learn and has no games.

If they make it accessable and let me have my gaymes on it I'll switch in an instant

Only kids play games.

Linux is the better OS because it has better performance and stability than either Windows or OS X.

You can go on all day about how many games it can play, but that has nothing to do with OS quality. Xbox can play games but no one is seriously using it as a desktop.

Windows 10 has the games, but that doesn't make it a good OS and no one should use it as their main desktop OS because it should only be relegated to gaming rigs. Windows 10 is a console OS for kids and man children living in their mothers basements who can't get laid.

>better performance and stability
lol no, go update your kernel and tell me about stability. also gpu performance in linux?
linux is better, but not for these two, your opinion is shit and you are retard

I can tell neither of you have actually tried using Linux (or are shills) because you assume it takes months to learn Linux. Try installing Linux mint or practically any ubuntu derivative or even plain ubuntu, it's super fucking easy.

That's simply not the case. There are plenty of distros that are designed to be super user friendly. Ubuntu, the most popular distro, is arguably easier than Windows to figure out. Sure, there are people who use meme distros like arch and gentoo who don't want casuals on their l33t OS, but most longtime linux users WANT more people to use the platform, because it means increased hardware and software support.

And before anyone accuses me (proving my point) of being a casual ubuntu user, I've never installed ubuntu in my life, been using arch for 4+ years. Sure, I personally think arch is a better distro than ubuntu and don't like some of the botnetty choices the devs have made, but I would rather have someone on ubuntu than on Windows or Meme OS X

do linux friendly games run faster when they are played on a linux system?

No.

>update your kernel and tell me about stability

I did:

Windows is an unstable piece of shit and that's why no one uses it on servers, not even microsoft. In fact MS knows that Windows is such a piece of shit, it's adding a Linux sub-layer.

Retard.

csgo does for me, on windows i could use my laptop as a heater while playing it and fps was ~60, while on linux laptop runs smooth with ~75fps despite having some shitty gpu drivers

>what is buy a playstation if you can't put away childish things.

thats a shame

i thought linux would leave you with more resources to draw frames?

Yeah for me. On Windows I get like five minutes of 60fps before my GPU can't handle it and then it foes down to about 45fps.

On Linux I get 55-60fps all day no problems. Windows just has shitty drivers.

cant tell if trolling

>steamos

not sure if bait or really this retarded

interesting

this would maybe make me try linux

Windows sucks on everything that isn't a gaming rig.

It's a shitty OS and the amount of games it has doesn't change that.

Wake the fuck up, my dude. Sure, ubuntu is easy to install, but as soon as you need to do anything more complicated than browsing facebook, you have to open the fucking terminal and type a shitload of commands, which will most likely return numerous errors and then you have to go around the internet trying to figure out how to make it work.

It would but it's offset by shitty 3D drivers.

You should because that's the only way you can get uncucked.

All Windows users are cucks.

generally no. It's a combination of bad drivers and poorly optimized ports, but I'm actually getting better performance on linux with my new rx 480 and the free drivers than on windows. With my last card, the 6970, it wasn't even a competition

is this the fault of the gpu manufacturers? cant be bothered making good drivers?

I wanted the whole Linux gaming thing to happen but it has become clear that it's a lost cause. It's impressive that Linux has the library that it does, but most AAA games on Linux are bad ports of the Windows version. To make it worse, half of the AAA games out there for Windows are ports of PS4 and XBO games.

So on Linux you're playing a port of a port. It's not surprising that most of the Linux ports have terrible performance compared to their Windows counterpart. It's not because of Linux itself, it's because GPUs are designed to run D3D better than OGL.

The whole Vulkan thing was light at the end of the tunnel, but the devs aren't adopting it. They would rather use DX12, so now we're back to square one.

nice b8, please tell me what advanced stuff are you doing on windows

That's my experience with Windows 10. It literally bricked my computer and when I was finally able to install an updated version only the integrated graphics would work and it refused to even sense my graphics card.

When it woke from sleep wifi didn't work.

Sound would only play when I was scrolling.

Windows is shit.

As I said, I haven't used ubuntu (most I've done is mess around on a friend's install for a bit), but based on what my friends have told me, they haven't EVER had to use the terminal. A couple of them probably don't even know it exists, like cmd on Windows

I didn't say it was super difficult, just that it's not what the average user has become accustomed to in their last decade of Windows use.

People don't really want much of a learning curve. They don't like learning. They just want to plug and play everything.

I'd love Linux to blow Microshit out of the water. I just think that could be done better than it's being done right now.

Definitely a part of it, although AMD is putting a lot of money into the Linux drivers, free and proprietary, and they've made a TON of progress over the past 4 years. Actually getting close to comparable performance between the two. Nvidia's free drivers are abysmal, but their proprietary ones are probably the closest to Windows performance of any drivers on linux. However, they aren't really actively pursuing it, so I think AMD could easily catch up in the next year or two.

>use windows since forever
>decide to try linux because bored and dont play games anymore
>install xubuntu a few months ago
>does everything i need and more

i'm a retard with the terminal but it's not like i have to use it that much

>is this the fault of the gpu manufacturers? cant be bothered making good drivers?

AMD helps the devs a bit. Nvidia actively works against them. That's why GPU drivers for linux tend to suffer.

Yes for games that don't have a directx version. Directx shits all over OpenGL. That's why Linux users are hyped for Vulkan to replace OpenGL.

Ah, okay. In that case, I agree with you. I don't, desu, think Ubuntu is the future of user-friendly distros. I think it's easy enough, but it's kinda hit a floral maximum', I guess, and something much different needs to be tried to really win. Things like ElementaryOS and Mint though, from what I can tell, seem like they could take off and appeal to Windows users. We're not at the point of getting anyone's grandma to use linux yet, but if we can get non-tech savvy people in their 20s and 30s to adopt, that would be a huge step.

One day you'll understand OS X IS LINUX , it uses UNIX filesystem you're the meme using black people unix

that's great, man! in an ideal world, there would be distros where you don't even have to know the terminal exists (not that you can't use it, but you shouldn't ever /need/ to).

If you're ever looking to get back into a little light gaming, all of valve's games run as good, if not better, on linux than their windows versions. Other games are hit or miss, though.

was typing on phone... 'local maximum'

OS X IS UNIX. "LINUX" = GNU = GNU is Not Unix.

>using GNU/Linux to play closed source proprietary games.

Microsoft and closed source wins again!

i'm sort of tempted to dual boot with windows 7 because i really want to play deus ex

i don't play much of anything anymore, but deus ex looks pretty good

Vulkan wasn't meant to replace DX12 overnight, it was at least partially meant to make it easier to port from DX12 to Vulkan by having similar structure.

To be honest, many ports on linux are complete shit, but there are many great ports as well. And, even ignoring that, even a shit port from 2013 runs pretty well on a rig built in mid-tier 2016 because GPU performance is still rising very quickly, and buggy releases are getting cleaned up.

There are also several companies who actually prioritize linux games. Paradox's releases are all available on linux, and those are, to me, more fun than most "oh it's another shooter" AAA releases.

It's not happening as fast as I hoped it would, but it's not too late for linux gaming to still succeed. People are getting more and more tired of Windows and are looking for an excuse to jump ship as long as they aren't giving up too much in the process.

video games are art, art is not GPL

There's good reason to think Deus Ex will be coming to linux. There are steam repos for a linux version that have all the assets, a 1.5 gb executable, and are being updated regularly. I'd say, wait a month to see if you hear any news, and, if nothing comes up, consider dual booting.

Nonsense.

youtube.com/watch?v=WRWrmT0ovPE

>girl
I mean, yeh, that explains it.

You don't even have to install SteamOS.
Every distro with the Steam client in Big Picture mode is essentially SteamOS.
Also, it's the inly meme winfags can rechoice to.

>video games are art
This is the most retarded thing I have read so far in this year of 2016. There is an awful lot of code in those games that are kept secret and take away the users freedom that don't have to be kept secret. The actual art can be separated and sold/licensed accordingly.

>There's good reason to think Deus Ex will be coming to linux. There are steam repos for a linux version that have all the assets, a 1.5 gb executable, and are being updated regularly. I'd say, wait a month to see if you hear any news, and, if nothing comes up, consider dual booting.

yea i can wait it's not a big deal, tBh i'm mostly waiting for a cracked version because i just can't justify spending $60 on a video game because poor

Congrats, you just described competition.
GNUfags are tje worst thing that could have halpened to Linux.
>inb4 GPL, i wasn't talking about GPL, i was talking about GNUfags

no

don't pirate games :( especially ones like Deus Ex. It'll be on sale for $30 in the next 6 months, guaranteed.

You mean American

How can one pirate games when copying is not theft?

yes, both on steam and if counting all sources.

>the 'hurr durr you can make infinitely many copies' meme
really?

Linux doesn't have gta 5 :^)

Nigga you so mad about being made look like a beta proprietary cuck that you can't even spell correctly any more.

good. Let's keep it that way.

Just using logic here.
If i steal your car it's gone. Stolen.
If i make a copy, both of us have it.

Windows == CuckOS

>resorting to grammar naziism without counterarguing

>If i make a copy, both of us have it.
Yeah, if you conveniently forget that he paid for it, to own it or be made and you paid nothing which is still theft.

Perhaps I should make a copy of your house keys, ID, bank statements and such. I haven't stolen them after all, we both have a copy :^)

>what is steamos

It's Debian.

Counterargument to what? Calling someone a "GNUFag" and telling them they are "tje (sic) worst thing that could have halpened to Linux" isn't an argument it just makes you look like a retard.

That's just a sideffect that doesn't oppose to what i said.
But hey, i'm the stupid one for paying a copy when you have paid already, right? ;^)

God, this thread has so much shitposting potential, MAKE ME STOP.

You're still at it i see.

Just another garbage distro.

>i'm the stupid one for paying a copy when you have paid already, right? ;^)
You're not stupid, just a slimy little thief.

That's not true, i didn't steal it. Catch my drift? :D

Piracy is still illegal and should be illegal.

Don't get me wrong, I still pirate I don't give a fuck if some multi-billion dollar globalist kike company loses profit, but let's not hide what we're doing. Piracy should be a crime.

I take back.what I said. You are stupid as well as a thief.

If you're talking about intelectual property, you're right and all my arguments are invalidated. But so far no one but me has.

is steam os even still a thing? it got nothing but hate here when it first came out because muh proprietery games is ebil

>"Linux has no games"
>Wine exists

I never said it was stolen, I said "pirated" which is the conventional term for copyright infringement. Let's say a company just developed a new drug that can be used to fight some disease. They spent a ton of money on R&D and failed attempts before finally creating this. Then another company comes along and reverse engineers the drug in a matter of days and violates patents by selling it for a significantly reduced price (which they can easily do and still make a profit because they didn't have to front any of the R&D costs). They've effectively eliminated the original company's ability to make money off the product, but they haven't "stolen" anything. Just copied. Now, consider -- would the first company continue to spend money making drugs like that one if there weren't laws in place to protect them from the above scenario happening? The answer is, obviously, no.

Now, consider games. Let's say everyone, every last person except the one person who had to purchase it to get the first copy, did exactly what you did. Just "copied", but didn't steal. The profits would be non-existent. The company would make $60 on the game (minus Steam's cut), and would have lost thousands, millions on development. Answer the question: Are they going to continue to make games?

Here's a rule of thumb to tell whether you're being an asshole -- What would happen if everyone in the world did what you are doing? Would things still work out, or would the entire system collapse? If the system would collapse, you're probably being an asshole. Sure, you pirating the game, or littering, or whatever example you want to think of, on its own, isn't really having an effect. But the world wouldn't function if EVERYONE did it, and so, why should you get to do it, while others don't get to?

See I was just shitposting, man.

>tfw Hollywood still hasn't collapsed yet. WE NEED TO PIRATE MORE

Glad to hear it, but the point still stands. The "just making copies bruh" meme is very prevalent on Sup Forums and Sup Forums in general.

kek, yeh I could get behind that jew enterprise collapsing. please don't kill the music and game industry though :(

Yrs, because it seems plausible at first.
But you made a very detailed counterargument, which desu is domething i value these days. Kudos to you, user.

>But the world wouldn't function if EVERYONE did it, and so, why should you get to do it, while others don't get to?
The world also wouldn't function of everyone were a president. They pay because they are dumb. It's that simple.

Yes, but there are systems in place that prevent everyone from being president, namely elections. Piracy is something everyone could do if they wanted to, whereas being president is something that only one person can do at a time, regardless of how many people want to.

>Piracy is something everyone could do if they wanted to
This is false and you know it.

but it's not false, they just have to want to badly enough to learn how to do it. just like riding a bicycle is something everyone can do doesn't mean you can just hop on a bike and ride with no learning curve

Kek

isn't that an os only built for launching games?

okay, true, but my point still stands. If everyone who knew how to pirate (which is a huge percentage of PC gamers) chose to pirate, sales would drop a ridiculous amount and many devs would just choose to stop developing for PC altogether.

thanks man

Exactly like becoming a president then. I'm just pointing out how retarded that rule of thumb by the way.

no, not like becoming president. there are bars to entry for even trying to be president and if you think any joe shcmoe can become president just because he's determined to then you sir are a fool

I used to play warthunder on linux.

No, because no matter how badly everyone wants to become president, only one person can be president at a time. If everyone wanted to learn to pirate, everyone could pirate at the same time.

I actually lold irl

dota 2 and crusader kings 2 work on linux, can't see why any other games are necessary

this desu

>What is SteamOS
Shit. That's what it is, user

>but as soon as you need to do anything more complicated than browsing facebook
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
youtube.com/watch?v=lqgugAj69xw
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms

Add game dupport to linux and it wont be a meme os.