Hey Sup Forums. I noticed that the install Gentoo Android guide is quite outdated...

Hey Sup Forums. I noticed that the install Gentoo Android guide is quite outdated, so I started working on an up to date version with more relevant and newer app selections.
Pic related is what I've got so far. First I'd just like to do is the app lists for each category (if I missed an important category or important app please let me know).
After that I can start making it look nice, add app icons, and add descriptions for each app as well.
Let me know what you guys think and I'll try to update the image.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/seSuperuser
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It looks good. I would add opera to browsers tho.

Plain old opera or is there a specific version you would recommend?

>Keyboards
Add Keepass2android, integrated keyboard. It's also a GOAT password manager

>Internet Browsers
Opera is probably a Chinese botnet but great for browsing Sup Forums. Has arrows to quickly go to the top and bottom of a thread, and it allows you to use the search function before a page loads - great for looking up a recent thread in the archive without waiting 5000 seconds.

Samsung's native Internet browser with Adblock Fast is great, has a shortcut for 'Request PC version' but it might be a Samsung botnet.

Orbot + Orfox (Android Tor)
>Root Essentials
Total Commander
Titanium Backup
SecDroid
AFWall+

>E-mail clients
Don't know if K9 still exists
Protonmail is great at the moment
Tutanota is meant to be similar to Protonmail, but Germany based, has no integrated search function and takes 30 sec to load, so maybe not

>Utilities
OpenVPN for Android for VPN users.
You must put F-droid somewhere there
ZArchiver (like 7zip)
OsmAnd instead of Google Maps
Flud for torrents
Syncthing (instead of Dropbox - decentralized and simple)

>Messaging
Signal for data messages (voice sucks though)
Silence (fork of signal for SMS)
CSipPhone (VOIP)
Antox

>Media Players
NewPipe instead of Youtube

That's what I can think of

Add the CyanogenMod browser (Gello Mod) for the internet section.

Damn. Too late.

Thanks for the long list. I'll be sure to look into these and add them.
I was also thinking of adding a Misc section at the bottom for useful apps that don't fit into any of the large categories.

I'll add this is an alternative to tugabrowser if your device does not have a snapdragon chip.

Isn't tuga closed source?

It's built from open source chromium, but yeah I think tuga is closed source.
I still use it thought just because it's faster than anything else I've tried.

I used it for a while, and switched to Gello Mod. You should list that Tuga is closed source in the image.

Yeah I hadn't thought of that.
I think I'll just add an asterisk next to every app name that is closed source.

Currently not home, but when I get back I'll update it.

You could add some games, for example Time of Exploration or Pixel Dungeon

>busybox
Use termux from f-droid, doesnt require root and provides a debian-like environment

I don't really know much about mobile games, but I'll try to find some interesting ones. I'll keep these 2 in mind also.

>Sup Forums media players
>the most normie music players lacking basic features

What's wrong with mx player and Poweramp?

Hi OP,

Please do not take any more initiative; I wrote that and you are only going to cause incompatibilities.

Signature follows,

The existing guide is outdated and isn't very helpful anymore.
I don't care about getting credit for this project, I just want a more up to date and relevant guide to redirect people to.

He's just a faggot that identifies 'issues' without providing solutions.

Anyway:

Privacy Browser

Red Moon is a FOSS version of Twilight, which is a non-root Flux solution

AIMSICD = Android IMSI Catcher Detector

FreeOTP instead of Google Authenticator

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Still kind of busy but I'll try to have the updated image uploaded here sometime tonight. If people are generally happy with I can start working on formatting, icons, and descriptions.

If you're going to put something like Chrome Beta for browsers, I recommend Sleipnir. Touch gestures, customizabe interface, adblock, sync, and userscript support (you'll have to convert them though) make it an underrated browser. Speed Browser from XDA is a fork of Lightning that is highly regarded by some anons on here. I also advocated for the inclusion of a weeb apps section: Ankhyou! (streams anime), Mi Mangu Nu, Tachiyomi, Mbooru, Anime boxes, NHBooks, and EHViewer. Most if not all of those are FOSS. For PDFs, Moon + Pro, µPDF, and Perfect Viewer are mentioned a lot.

lacks basic features like crossfeed, opus replaygain, parametric equalizer, etc

When was the last time you've used poweramp? it does everything you're mentioned. MXplayer on the other hand shouldn't be used for audio playback and rather for video. Who the fuck uses mxplayer to listen to music anyway.

Please post proof of opus support, parametric eq and crossfeed.

If it does those I'll buy it right now.

>opus support
I've tried an example opus file from the official opus codec website, works fine. don't know if there are any limits as I've never personally used opus before.

>parametric eq
It doesn't have a parametric eq, I've mistook it with graphical eq but why would you need more than that inside a playback device. this is no studio mixing or anything special. it does it's job just fine with the graphical one.

>crossfeed
Might not be the best thing, but it does have a mono button which I sometimes use when listening to tracker music that only uses stereo in order to have more channels and are uncomfortable when listening via headphones.

Mind you I'm using the new alpha version which has a bunch of new shit coming up, why don't you go ahead and request that feature?

>why would you need more than that inside a playback device. this is no studio mixing or anything special. it does it's job just fine with the graphical one
Fine-tuning. I don't want niggerbass, i want an EQ to somewhat fix the downsides of my headphones which are only 2 frequencies without touching the adjacent ones.

Hell even a fucking sansa clip+ from 2009 has a parametric eq.

>why don't you go ahead and request that feature?
I doubt they'll listen to some random nobody, and there's a request for one already from february with 0 replies.

I'm using Neutron which does all these things perfectly but the UI is awful, i'd really like an alternative.

you should should try the app one more time as I've got rid of the niggerbass quite easily

>Neutron
That app looks.. exactly the fucking same like the old poweramp but feels more like android 2.3 and it even costs twice as much. Why.

If you can you should try the new poweramp alpha, trial is free anyway so nothing to lose there. I've been using it for over 3 years and had no problems with it. good luck finding the perfect app.

Code it yourself
Start a git project
Its Sup Forums i wont tell you how the world works

Just got some more time so I'm going to start editing the file now. Should be up in the next half hour.

>and it even costs twice as much. Why
Worth it imo, it has a true parametric eq.

Also plenty of shit for audiophiles like usb dac support and stuff but i don't use them.

>he fell for the parametric eq. meme

yeah he might've, I see no real reason to use that outside of when I make music. I don't even listen to music on my phone with my real headphones, only with earbuds that just about do the job at not being shit.

Anyone know a good gallery app?

I don't trust Google and QuickPic with my pics

>VLC
>Google Keyboard
>Swift Key
>Nova Launcher
>Lightning bowser
>CPU-Z

Pls be b8

>VLC
MX player is definitely better, but VLC is the only open source alternative worth using.

>google keyboard
Have you used it recently? It's god tier

>swift key
I agree with you on this one. Not sure why people really like this.

>nova launcher
best launcher desu

>lightning browser
lightweight, open source, and aesthetic. Not really anything wrong with it.

>CPU-Z
Never used it but what's the issue?

Tuga Browser is shit. YuBrowser is better.
Z Launcher for people who don't give a fuck about rice.
SuperSU is bad.
Flux is stupid.

SD Maid in root essentials.
Titanium in root essentials.
Viper4Android in root essentials.

KeepPassDroid in essentials.
K-9 Mail in essentials.

They are all bot-net tier.

guide was made to be bot-net free.

Lightning browser is fucking aids btw

Parametric eq is useful especially for cheap earbuds because you can basically counteract or eq out the gross frequency response the buds have and make them sound something near ok.

Guide was not made to be botnet free, but there will be an indicator if an app is proprietary or not.

Yubrowser from the play store? Never heard of it but I'll look into it.
What's a better alternative to SuperSU? I don't believe there is one.
Flux works and I'm adding an open source alternative. I will keep flux there however since it is superior to the foss alternative.
What does SD maid that you can't do from recovery?
Everything else you suggested looks good.

Ok this is as much as I'm editing for today. Will continue adding more apps and finishing some extra things up tomorrow.
Let me know if I missed any important apps or I should elaborate on any of the descriptions any more.

I will probably post the next update in the /spg/ thread so more people can get a look at it.

Newpipe is NOT a substitute for youtube, it is still incredibly incomplete. Frequent crashes, oft-broken background play, no 1080p, no comments (at least add the option, theres plenty of time where comments are useful e.g. saucing purposes)

Newpipe is great but it is a compliment to the youtube app, not a replacement. Fortunately this changes soon though

I feel like you should mention that the app has a pro version to look for. For example, MX player pro is a separate app from the non pro version, and well worth it but it is not an unlocker that you buy, it's a completely different apk

file browser xplore

Will definitely keep these in mind. It's kind of late where I am, so I will continue working on this in the morning.

>What's a better alternative to SuperSU? I don't believe there is one.
Any superuser application that is open source. SuperSU is proprietary.
>What does SD maid that you can't do from recovery?
Trim, optimize databases, find same and largest, automated deletion of junk files created by apps and system, etc. Even functions as a file explorer.

give me a specific alternative to supersu. I need an app that lets you manage root permissions that is also open source.

Any of them work but I am partial to this one.
github.com/seSuperuser

>keyboard
add Anysoft keyboard, open source, really fucking good and on F-Droid

looks good, but is there no apk release?
I'm not so sure about linking a github page where you have to build the app yourself in the guide.

>Llama
maybe for unrooted phones this stuff is easy but haven't seen anything better for non rooted.
>Moon reader
>slide
for reddit

There isn't really an open source replacement that is as easy to install as SuperSU for MM.

add #NoChromo to browsers

just use OGYoutube

Naked browser isn't open source tho

Isn't this more about having a selection of no shit apps?

I personally think a website with cathegories and lists would be better for this since there are so many apps for so many different things, a single image can't do everything.

>maybe for unrooted phones this stuff is easy but haven't seen anything better for non rooted.
what do you recommend for rooted phones instead of llama?

I don't care if he included proprietary apps, but he listed Naked Browser as being "open source".

>no es file explorer
>inb4 Chinese ad infested botnet
Someone's listed AFwall+, you can just stop apps from using Internet. Also add AppOpsExposed as a module, it can manage permissions.

>AppOpsExposed
Simply does not work, it's a meme my friend.

XPrivacy

Trying out tugabrowser, what does power saving mode actually do?

>es file explorer
Give me at least two reasons why it's better to use that instead of for example Solid Explorer.

idk solid explorer, but does it mount smb?

yes, it also does a shitton of other web stuff, ftp sftp lan drive it's all all in there

>doesn't work
Works for me pal.

>I want software to fix my shitty headphones
Why don't you just use Dolby Sound Mod or Viper4Android while you're at it?

I don't know, I don't have one. Maybe being rooted isn't important for that area of things?

add rootcloack in the root essentials

welp

I know what it does, but what uses does it actually have?

letting you use 3rd party plugins without problems for certaing apps, or stop certain apps from checking root status, i.e. snapchat checks for root status and 3rd party addons, and if it notices root status or addons, the app will stop working, so with rootcloack you avoid those problems

does it work for banking apps too?
My banking app wont work since i rooted my phone

add BlackPlayer to media players.

i suppose so, you could try it and see if it works.

Alright! thankjs in advance!

you're welcome, post if it worked

Separate video and audio players.

Video
> MX Player with custom codec for AC3 playback
> VLC

Audio
> Poweramp
> Google Music
> Phonograph
> Black Player

Also
> Viper4Android in Root section
> Fleksy Keyboard
> Psiphon

no DICE player? works fine, what does VLC or MX do that DICE doesn't?

K9 has permissions problems on Android 6, i tested it myself. CloudMagic is botnet tier but it just werks.

Not the guy you responded to, but what's wrong with K9?
I just set it up last night and it worked fine on 6.0.

Permission problem when adding certain types of email accounts. (imap, etc...) I've tested it on previous android versions and it works well, but not in Android 6.0.

Sorry for any mistake above, i'm an ESL fag.

No problems, your English is fine.
That's strange though. I just added my Gmail as an IMAP account last night and it was working fine.

To be quite honest, i dont even remember what bug it was, i just remember it was related with email permissions. I cant reproduce this bug now because i'm literally in a place where i have poor internet signal, so i cant download the app here.

It was a Gmail Acc?

I'll give a look into it when i arrive home. Thank you user.

bump

thanks for the bump.
Gonna work on a few more edits now and post the updated version in a bit.

I've seen Naked Browser's source. Just saw it yesterday again, actually.

Where have you seen it? Can't seem to find it by searching for it or on the developer's website.

Updated version is here. Cleaned it up a bit more and I added some more apps.
Should I add a way to contact me if someone wants an edit? I could also just upload the .psd files somewhere and let anyone edit them, but I don't want several different versions floating around.

why clover and not DashChan?

Not him but it's better.

I've never used dashchan. I'll give it a shot and if it's nice then I'll add it in next to clover.

Out of curiosity though what difference are there? Clover pretty much does everything I want it to already so I've never tried any other browsers.

>Root Essentials
Link2SD
Orbot
>Xposed Modules
XPrivacy
AppOppsXposed (if it still works)
MinMinLock
>Media Players
Apollo
OGYoutube
QuickPic (3.4.9.1)
>Internet Browsers
#NoChromo
>Misc
Dashchan

i'd say upload the psd files after we're done with all the recommendations, it's sunday so the board it's a little slow but tomorrow and today you'll get more recommendations, or if you want to quit already upload them and somebody else can continue editing the guide

I have orbot + orfox in the browser section.
I am familiar with apollo, but I wouldn't say it's an amazing music player. Power Amp is definitely better in terms of features.
I forgot about XPrivacy and AppOppsXposed, so they'll be in the next version.
I'll look into OGyoutube, quickpic, and #nochromo.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll see how long this thread stays alive for. Once it dies I'll probably post in the /spg/ threads for more attention.

OGYoutube is modded Youtube that allows background playback and has integrated downloader
QuickPic is (was) the best photo galler app around (until it was bought by CM). I heard the Piktures is also great but I've never tried it
#NoChromo is Chromium with bulit-in Ad-Blocker so it's great for people that don't have root access and can't have apps like Adaway

Okay. I never used Clover so i just sked

Piktures is also a good alternative to QuickPic