Are you a systemd cuck?

How many of you are cucked by systemd and cucklord pottering?

How many of you are are free?

Other urls found in this thread:

suckless.org/sucks/systemd
youtu.be/3jQoAYRKqhg
cr.yp.to/talks/2015.05.08/slides-djb-20150508-4x3.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is gentoo the only distro that isn't completely compromised by this nigger dick slurper.

>he doesn't want unification between his system objects and their dependencies

It's not that systemd sucks, linux sucks.
We need a new OS that isn't a 50 year old pile of hacks.

Void Linux uses runit
Archbang uses OpenRC
Devuan is Debian but with runit or OpenRC
Slackware still uses sysvinit

>all Literally Who distros nobody uses
wow you sure showed him

Can anybody explain what is this "systemd is bad" meme?

Kek what, slackware is more used than gentoo though :&)

systemd is NSA-inside / GCHQ-inside. If you use systemd, you're owned.

:^)

>insufficent space

It's bloat and bloat is automatically bad.

It's basically autism. There is nothing else that needs to be said.

old school unix autists experience extreme aversion to change but are too lazy to better their own systems so they just belittle anyone who constructs new, useful and necessary FOSS software to replace their archaic implementations.

So what's the big deal with systemd

>long time Solaris user
>comes over to Linux
>sees a ton of hate over systemd

OpenRC is shit.

I don't... what??

Running Debian with SysVinit
just werks

you have Windows

Systemd is a fucking nightmare

suckless.org/sucks/systemd

Especially implementations like nspawn, DNS, networking in PID1

If you look at this init from a distance you can begin to even see how it can be a deliberate effort to damage the security of the operating system

Systemd's push into critical parts of the OS is alarming.

Systemd is very much trying to make itself an irremovable part of modern GNU/Linux with its development style of absorbing other OS elements. As it becomes more bloated it will continue to become harder to audit and control what is running on one's machine.
In the end, all the distros that adopted this will be dealing with volatile high velocity corporate code running critical parts of their OS.

The FSF should say something before it's too late.

I'm kinda upset that Arch decided to adopt systemdick, but hey, you can only roll with the times.

because Arch was supposed to completely match your contrarian lifestyle right

Sounds like it's a deliberate push to turn the most mainstream GNU/Linux distros into literally Windows, in the sense that it's so fucking overly bloated, convoluted and hacked together with gum, that nobody including their very own developers know how it actually truly functions, just that it does.

>contrarian

Nigger what? Arch is number 10 on distrowatch.com in terms of popularity and you call it contrarian? Are you fucking stupid?

Also nice way to assume. I only used Arch for a while and have hopped through many different distros. I juts found that I liked Arch the best out of all of them, pre-systemd implement of course.

All os suck. But once linux gets wayland sorted out at least it will finally be on par with osx as a desktop os.

>convoluted and hacked together with gum, that nobody including their very own developers know how it actually truly functions, just that it does.
yes and once you introduce this level of complexity it means serious bugs. Huge attack surface area that is constantly being rehacked together. I don't want to be the conspiritard but this seems too fucking good not to be an intentional action by RH to gain control of mainstream distros for its interests. RH might also share interest with other parties in doing this

>I don't want to be the conspiritard

Well you should. It's good to do so. Always look at the names, and follow the money. Remember what GaymerGayte discovered. Bill Gates is neck deep into the implementation of Common Core and the inevitable dumbing down of the coming generations.

I was reading the archive, and some anons were saying Lennart will eventually suffer the same fate as Appelbaum. Do you think this is true?

I mean, who wouldn't want the juicy task of developing systemd with him out of the way?

I haven't looked into it very much but does parabola arch use systemd? I know systemd is considered libre so I assume it does...

Exactly, RH is NSA: The Company. And Poettering bends over to take the NSA right up his German-cuck asshole.

You don't need to get him out the way, he's the one bending over backwards to put backdoors in systemd.

If systemd is FOSS then there's no problem. What's that you say, you can't audit all that code? Then you need to pick one: the entire enterprise of FOSS as anything other than a meme OR you're just being a sheep autist trying to be a nix edge lord with this garbage

Sage

Systemd is open so no one can hide anything in it. You autists are just being autismomaximus.

For all a man could bend over, I think there's still a part of him that tries to hold onto some sliver of ethical practice. I mean, they can threaten him or whatever, but having your own man inside would be much better.

For all "SJW" those guys could be, they're still coders first, and their commitment is to the community, not to the government shills.

(Although, I find it easier and easier to believe Appelbaum was a fed all this time, like Weev said.)

Systemd breakdown:
>10% good ideas (like auto service restart upon failure)
>10% downright awful ideas
>80% shit nobody asked for

memes

>For all "SJW" those guys could be, they're still coders first, and their commitment is to the community, not to the government shills.

I don't think you understand an SJW then. They are loyal to their tribe first, everybody else second. Unless you're conflating your average liberal to a SJW in which case you may be right.

I'm telling you, there are too many things that point to this being a systemized takeover of relevant GNU/Linux distros:

-First systemd fragmented the GNU/Linux dev community by making it a situation of either you are with or against us. Now all the developers are too far into developing for a systemd specific system to work on anything else. Systemd in this way has gained a grasp on the dev community and made two groups of distros: new era systemd, and old era specialized, hobbyist non systemd that will fade into obscurity

-systemd continues to absorb critical OS elements into its function (it continues growing in lines of code and complexity meaning the attack surface continues growing), This essentially means that very subtly placed bugs can be exploited and the systemd devs will never have to take responsibility for them if they were order to be planted. It also ofcourse means that unintentional bugs will happen that will have grave consequences for systemd based operating systems due to all the critical functions of systemd.
-systemd is killing off auditability. The code moves too fast and is too large. It's very expensive and difficult to follow its iterations.
-there reasons for having security holes in an OS that runs the server world (along with other important markets) is pretty obvious

This shit is pretty scary when you start putting the pieces together

Weren't there already a few occurences of people trying to insert backdoors and bugs into the linux kernel? I mean, imagine if you could insert a tiny bug like Heartbleed, and keep that knowledge all to yourself, for 10 years. It would be catastrophic when it got out.
At least I think so.

They went all out on Appelbaum, and he was one of their most outspoken supporters. I'm pretty sure the same could happen to any other person of interest in the community, at the blink of an eye. Like the Soros hacks made blatantly clear, people are loyal to money, above all else.

wrong
can tell you've never written anything

code complexity and how quickly it changes over time are critical to its security

nasty things can be put into systemd that are very difficult to find because:
-it's too large
-it's too complex

auditing costs time and money. auditing a fucking init system of systemd like velocity and size is not checking over your 30 LOC hello world

>es of people trying to insert backdoors and bugs into the linux kernel?
they literally came to Torvalds and asked him
He has spoken about it

Haven't kept up with Torvalds for a long time now, but how is he these days?

Still based and telling people to fuck off?

I mean "stealthly". Looking at lkvm, it seems it happened 2 or 3 times in the past. A piece of obfuscated code here, another one there... If Linus and the top guys weren't so autismal (in a good sense) about auditing the code, I'm not sure someone else in their place would have caught those.

The thing with a bug like Heartbleed is that it's a much more ingenious approach, since you could relegate it to human error, instead of malicious intent. And even so, an attacker could make it so only him would know how to activate this system-critical bug. Keep this bug hidden for a few years and it'll be seen as legacy code by then.

He'll never change.

He's in his 50's now, isn't he?

I think he should at this point begin looking at the option of finding a successor that will completely carry on his legacy of autism so that Linux doesn't fall into evil hands.

tl;dr
how to insert a BD into open code:

1. Add "feature" that will become extremely large and complex
2. Develop a strategy to have everyone contribute to the new feature to keep it relevant in the market you are interested in
3. Exploit the new feature by either intentionally adding bugs or finding unintentional bugs that are numerous due to code size and complexity
(this will be hard to trace back because they're bugs AKA mistakes AKA no one can be blamed)

That's what I meant. Bugs can be exploited just as well as backdoors, but the former have the advantage of being relegated as mistakes, while the latter are easily identified as intentional.

yeah, you're right. It's exactly what happened with heartbleed. Really nasty trick

There's already many videos about how backdooring of open source goes on:

youtu.be/3jQoAYRKqhg

Watch this and it goes from lulz to wait, what that's actually happening.

Systemd is supposed to be an init system, but instead also manages networks, logging (in a binary format, not a text format), devices, logins, and now the fucking sudo command.

tl;dr it slowly snowballs, taking up more and more features than it needs to. It's the opposite of the Linux mindset, becoming a big monolithic shit thing.

Void Linux takes over its intent without Systemd.

This reminds me when systemd was crammed into embedded routers and things, and its inclusion in projects like GenIVI and Tizen.

None of systemd's watchdog services are needed, s6, nosh, even runit provide those features but the insanity complexity of systemd was crammed in for obvious reasons (Operation Orchestra)

hey guise what's going on in this thread

USE="-systemd"

is this actually confirmed to be a strategy used by the nsa? ofc with the budget available to the agency it seems obvious, also it would make a lot of sense to target complicated low level software, bloat it to make it unmaintainable and then get some backdoors in. this is scary.

as time goes on you'll see more dependencies further down, e.g. logind for plasma 5

Wouldn't something like that still cause dependency conflicts, making it easily noticeable? I have "-kde" and "-gnome" also.

Fuck it, here's my global use flags:
USE="mmx sse sse2 X xft jpeg png apng alsa ao cdr dvd efi efiemu extraengine multilib
nvidia opencl pcsc-lite pkcs11 pulseaudio smartcard thunar usb opengl flac mp3 opus mp4
unicode icu pdf sound udev ncurses bash-completion dbus acpi consolekit gtk gtk2 gtk+
-bluetooth -cups -gnome -kde -ldap -qt -qt4 -qt5 -systemd -wifi"

>xD no argument
>xD no argument
>xD no argument
/thread

>smartcard
wat

armyfag

The whole talk was the FreeBSD guy was doing a thought experiment "How could I sabotage open source, but without spending much money and without a paper trail or special authorizations" then proceeds to give examples he's found that fit his proposed strategy of sabotaging consensus and standards.

Likely yes, they are doing this. You can read Dj Bernsteins posts on the Crypto Working Group IETF list too to see him spotting all kinds of NSA/GCHQ shilled type bogus standards and possible backdoors. He too wrote an article on how to sabotage called ""How to manipulate curve standards: a white paper for the black hat." which details the bullshit at the IETF that's been going on for a decade.

for SD card multireader, duh

oops, djb slides
cr.yp.to/talks/2015.05.08/slides-djb-20150508-4x3.pdf

Entire talk on how standards/protocols get manipulated and backdoored often for little money.

systemd is pretty great

init scripts are a horrible experience.

I don't care if systemd is taking over my networking, it works quite well honestly. I have it using dhcp on the WAN and it serves as the forwarder for BIND which serves the LAN. the best part is it also takes into consideration the local hosts file so I can define all local hosts and do some DNS poisoning to block adverts.

systemd is pretty sweet. I think the best thing it replaced was chron... and init scripts fucking backwards hacks of distro-specific bullshit.

As far as (surface) functionality goes, it serves its purpose, however many people reject systemd for a bunch of other reasons outlined itt.

It's also a great generation fracture. People growing up in the early days and who were accustomed to the init scripts were extremely opposed to adopting systemd, trying to "fix something that isn't broken" in their views. Meanwhile newcomers come in, adopt the new way without known the old (or very little of it) and say whatever, it works.

I would go into more Sup Forums territory here, but I don't want to get shouted down.

Just stop, Microsoft. I know you're mad that systemd has made GNU leapfrog even farther ahead of your crappy stolen/bought pieced together by retarded monkeys OS, but this is just pathetic posturing.

Report paid MS troll threads
Do not reply to paid MS troll threads
Message Sup Forums admins about MS troll threads taking over Sup Forums

The Sup Forums territory interests me, go right ahead.

>Not wanting a consistent userland like the BSDs

A reminder that every time I post this type of post, regardless of popularity, the thread dies.

It's almost like Microsoft is afraid someone might find out and stops the paid shilling.

Seriously, MESSAGE Sup Forums ADMINS. This invasion of Sup Forums has to stop. Instances like this is PROOF that I am correct (and I've been told by Microsoft employees that this shit happens all the time, I used to work with them on a project).

It's over, Microsoft. Give it up. You're finished. There's no shame taking your billions and closing up shop today way, way, WAY ahead. None at all. You've lost. Bye.

Well I don't want to write an entire thesis on the topic, so I'll try to keep it as tl;dr as possible. Also bear in mind that I'm no expert on this (these) matter(s), just reporting my observations and connections.

But basically it seems that the whole systemd issue (as it deservedly should be called given the fracturing damage it has done to much of the GNU/Linux community) is but a single issue being pushed deliberately by unknown (or unconfirmed, being the better word to use here) entities in order to deliberately divide and conquer the F(L)OSS community and weaken it to the point that it can taken over completely or at the very least given an inside way in to dismantle everything from within.

Many of these tactics being deployed are but modified versions of the tactics being deployed on image boards (hell even to subreddits as well) in order to demoralize, divide, infiltrate and ultimately destroy from within. This is where it starts to go more into Sup Forums territory.

These tactics are tactics used in the process of Subversion (this is the key word you want to hold onto). To understand what I mean by "tactics", you should look up a man called Yuri Bezmenov and his lectures on Subversion. Bezmenov is a Former KGB defector who describes how the Soviet Union and the KGB infiltrated the Western world in order to spread Communism and its ideals from within without most people knowing (eventually turning the Marxist ideals into the modern day SJW you will find all across your University Campuses and especially within the Tech industry, you know which ones I'm talking about).

Now how does all this relate to systemd? Go back to the word subversion and understand what it means and entails. That is what systemd is. An attempt to subvert the GNU/Linux system. On the surface it seems like a practical solution to fix many problems that the system has (society), and slowly it creeps in getting larger and larger and and taking control of more and more critical functions to the point that it's overtaken the entire system and can't be removed easily (Politicians and political figures). Eventually the system is subverted and no longer what it once was, control too far to be removed without killing the host.

This is the general scheme of the systemd issue. Fortunately another user(s) has pointed out the other, more specific problems of systemd, the technical ones here

Believe me. This is no accident. The implementation and integration of systemd is being done on purpose by people we don't know (yet) for reasons we also don't know (yet), though we can speculate and speculate accurately at that.

GNU/Linux is a free system that gives the user total control and freedom to do as they want. This is directly against the vision of people like Gates, Cook/Nadella, Zuckerberg, and many others in the tech elite (and other economic sectors I might add) want. They want users to be restricted in THEIR environment, under THEIR rules so the users are only left with the options of THEIR choosing.

GNU/Linux is literally the exception to their rule and they won't have it. So they will have it subverted and taken over.

>actually believing that your shitposts could stop or even make a dent on Microsoft

Dude, I loathe the fuckers like they've killed and fucked my mom in that specific order but you must be super deluded.

>a topic about systemd is a Microsoft shill thread.

Nice try Lennart Poettering. Get offline and go suck your nigger boyfriend's dick.

void is irrelevant

I'm fully aware of Yuri Bezmenov and the tactics he talked about. I never thought about them being applied in a technological context, but I don't see why not. You could be on to something here user.

give it a few more years and you will be stuck on a cob webbed system

systemd has fragmented the dev community horribly

Most Linuxses are irrelevant.

Why move the goalposts? It's exactly what you want.

pls hlp with smartcards

I want some programmable ones and it looked like anything compliant to ISO7816 was supposed to work however the SLE4443 models can't be read in GNU/Linux
What am I doing wrong?

You didn't think they could applied to a technological context?

Just look at Faceberg. Do you remember what facebook was like when it first began? Do you remember what it was like 5 years later? And 5 years later after that?

Every subsequent year more user information was requested, more user information was collected, more user information was analyzed, and more user information was made public. And everybody agreed to it.

Every user on Facebook was subverted without realizing it. They give all the details of their life willingly to complete strangers and they believe this to be good. It never was implemented in one giant leap. It was slowly crept in, and people think it's normal. This is the process of subversion.

Facebook is not the only one guilty of this user. It's everywhere.

Let me ask you this, do you think that "figures" like Anita Sarkeesian (however the fuck you spell that) and Zoe Quinn (aka Chelsea von Valkenberg) got speaking slots at the fucking UN to talk about "online harassment" and "girl code" was a fluke? Hell the fuck no.

They were and are insiders or at the very least useful idiots in order to normalize the destruction of the tech sector as we know it, or knew it I should say.

Not sure which card readers even work anymore, but I've got an SCR3310 that works under GNU/Linux.

I have a PCI-express 54 card reader that works fine but I can't find the right model of programmable cards for it

It's surprisingly difficult to locate documentation on card compatibility

I guess I should ask the libccid people

The "do one thing and do it well" is a unix mindset, not a linux one you fuckwit.

Which PKCS#11 lib are you using? I'm using CACKey but it probably won't work for you since it only supports DoD CACs.

this, this, and fucking this

"Have lots of modular parts and replace what you don't like" is a Linux mindset though

It's becoming very difficult to replace systemd because it's becoming a hard requirement of tons of shit (such as udev or KDE Plasma)

>most popular distro
>Literally Who
Retard.

> udev pulseaudio dbus consolekit
You might as well start using systemd at that point...

I actually like systemd and pulseaudio

not a big fan of journald, it has caused performance issues on some of our most busy servers at work, but it is easily switched out with syslog alternatives again.

pulseaudio is just great for desktops in my opinion, i like being able to RTP stream to remote speakers on remote systems, i like having individual stream controls, i like being able to apply arbitrary ladspa filters like DRC and such (which is so easily achieved on windows), the API for programmers makes it simple to enumerate and use sinks.

pulseaudio seems well architectured, well designed, and really does feel like it has been the final word in the preceding decades of linux desktop audio mess.

>Which PKCS#11 lib are you using?
That's a good question. Thanks for the input. I will have to learn about the internal lib options and see how it affects my situation. I just kind of installed libccid and openSC blindly assuming there wouldn't be an issue. Get unresponsive card for all my SLE4443s though.

>Nigger what? Arch is number 10 on distrowatch.com
>distrowatch.com
are you stupid or just pretending?

>Especially implementations like nspawn, DNS, networking in PID1
I keep hearing this a lot, is it FUD?

Systemd is PID1, and in the systemd source tree are many things that previously where separate projects.

But they are not PID1. Systemd is PID1, it starts those services under a different PID and if they crash systemd is notified and starts them again (or does what it was configured to do)

So, in essence, it works just like any other init system!

> So, in essence, it works just like any other init system!
# systemctl restart dbus
Exactly like any other init system.

it's a better init system, you luddites

enjoy following your "UNIX way" while the rest of your system is blatantly against it

>don't speak to me or my wife's udev fork ever again

launchd master race

this is how I know you're retarded.

pulseaudio is literally spaghetti written by one guy and adopted because it was somehow slightly less shit than using alsa for everything.

pulseaudio has no architecture, it has no design. It is literally organic to the point where you could attempt to reimplement it exactly and your code would look nothing like it.

Don't bother

Suckless fags have very low IQs and can't understand that there's little difference between a massive meta-tree of many sources and an integrated project

If you rolled the UNIX shell and its utilities into one program they'd flip, but they're compiled into separate binaries so the LOC per name is low and they're all pleased

Systemd has a lot of LOC under the "systemd" umbrella, even though you can audit the individual parts and whatnot
so it's bad

>Systemd is supposed to be an init system,

And that's where you're wrong. Systemd is supposed to be an OS. An OS layered ontop the Linux kernel. An init system is just one part of the package.

And that's what people are taking issue with, they don't want a whole new OS.

so why has nothing replaced it?

Maybe noone cares. Maybe it works just well enough for people to not bother trying to replace it.