Buying Used Xeon for More Cores?

I'm trying to build a workstation that's primarily going to be used for video editing and I'm trying to keep within a budget of $2500 to $3000 max if at all possible. I've been debating the idea of getting a current generation hexa or octa core i7 or a similar xeon.
However, ebay is full of various v2 12 or 16 core xeons for under $300 or even a 22 core for $1k. How would those stack up performance wise to the current gen processors with half the cores? Would this be a viable option? Am I likely to have issues with buying used cpus?

The performance is very similar to modern parts of same core count. Also look out, those used processors might be engineering samples. Make sure you know what you're buying.

Use Passmark for score comparisons.

A lot of the Xeons are shit for the money, and a few are excellent. Keep in mind that the motherboards can be very expensive.

Most are engineering samples, although I've found a few that aren't. Should I definitely stay away from the ones marked ES?

This is why I had planned on going with an i7 originally, but the 8 core is $1k and the 10 core is about $1500 so at that price point I'm really not sure which I'd get the most out of for the price.

I too, was looking at used xeons, to build a dual cpu render slave. Are used server motherboards good for this kind of thing?

I can't tell you what you should do, I use an es Xeon myself. Thing is, you should pay attention to that, because you don't want to get some es Xeon remarked as a retail sample without knowing about it in advance.

>tfw no Seattle 64-core ARMs

Okay, I'll look into it some more. I'm not opposed to getting an ES Xeon as long as it isn't likely to cause me problems.

What's the downside to getting ES dies?

are you intending to buy old equipment?
new xeons don't function on consumer motherboards

>new xeons don't function on consumer motherboards

I thought the opposite was true, that modern Xeons could go itno an X99 but old shit needed a specific socket.

They're 'illegal' to purchase/sell, and are 'stolen'

Some are kickass, some are a shit, usually they just have extra features or missing features. Depends on the model. You'll save $100+ for an ES version sometimes.

Seems like most of the Xeons are 2011-3 socket which has a few consumer options as well as a decent amount of server grade motherboards

Thanks for the info. I guess it's just luck of the draw as to what's been disabled or enabled? Doesn't seem like many of the venders are too specific, not surprisingly

That would be my assumption. Chances are you can Google that particular part number and see what features the chip has.

just keep in mind they are 'illegal' and 'stolen'

if you're on the "enthusiast" socket, yes, you're fine

There seems to be quite an offering on ebay for that being the case. Does Intel just not care, or are they slow to act, or oblivious maybe? I'm assuming any real consequences would be for selling them because of whatever agreement they had with intel.

They are Intel property, which means that you don't own them even if you pay for them.
They are pre-release parts and some may not get any microcode updates. So for example a Haswell Xeon ES will have TSX enabled.

May have something wrong with them.

Now, I'm not saying that you'll get a dud, Intel will take it from you and TSX will crash your shit but these are just things that make them less desirable.

Oh yeah and forget reselling. You can end up in a world of hurt.

>ARM
why

As a gambling fag with a soft spot for cyberpunk going for the silicon lottery on HOT STRIPPED ILLEGAL CPUS gets me all giddy with excitement. The very best next thing to stealing maglocks from a Megacorp.

>new xeons don't function on consumer motherboards
The E3 v5 Skylake ones, yes. The E5 2011-3 socket stuff works in X99 boards but you're spending big either way since server boards cost similar money to good X99 kit

I was looking at a 6900K or 6950X build for work but I can go brand new dual cpu for roughly the same money and have double the core count but at lower clocks. Got a gaymen pc already so I'm leaning towards the dual cpu meme for wank factor and so I can learn about dealing with NUMA shit when running across multiple cpus

living the meme, user

I got a used xeon dualCPU board with 2 E5420 processor & 24GB ram for £50
Never get consumer parts.