What went so wrong...

what went so wrong? at one point it looked like firefox was going to overtake IE as the dominant web browser with the biggest market share.

Other urls found in this thread:

techindroid.com/
google.com/googlebooks/chrome/big_00.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

extreme judaism

Chrome happened, so "being better than IE" was no longer good enough.

chrome didn't do anything better than firefox really. firefox just seemed to get worse after a certain point.

If you are interested in technology geeks visit techindroid.com/

TechinDroid is a technology geek blog techindroid.com

1. Firing Brendan Eich to please the SJW cucks
2. Wasting manpower on a mobile OS that almost no one uses
3. Refusing to modernize with 64-bit support or separate processes
4. Driving away the remaining hardcore fanbase with Australis

It took the chromium interface style. Honestly it's still a great browser, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

This. It's a bit memory intensive, but nowhere near as bad as Chrome.

Really? I think it was because of the boom in the mobile OS market: Android become popular and soon all the services that base around google raise up (Chrome, Gmail, Youtube,...)

Also, Firefox becomes SJW so peoples at least have reason to not use it.

Faster.
Far more screen real-estate. (Firefox eventually copied Chrome on this)
Tabs on very top of screen. (Microsoft has known for ages that the edges and corners of the screen are prime real estate for mouse interaction because they act as guides.) (Firefox eventually copied Chrome on this)
Stable.

Firefox got their UI sorted by copying Chrome, but they're still behind Chrome in speed and stability. They need to catch up there before they can start competing on additional feature sets.

Devs replaced by SJW/cucks.

Back to Sup Forums with you.

>faster
You only notice this if you have a 6+ year old PC. If you can play your current gen gayms you won't notice any difference between Firefox and chrome.
>stable
On phones yes chromium browsers are more stable than Firefox ones, but the PC version doesn't have any stability problems.
>eventually copied chrome on this
So it's not a problem anymore.

>You only notice this if you have a 6+ year old PC.
Ask yourself why you're shilling so hard for "slow."

>On phones yes chromium browsers are more stable than Firefox ones, but the PC version doesn't have any stability problems.

Sure... no memory leaks... no freezing...

>So it's not a problem anymore.

Ask yourself why you think they should get points for being second.

>slow, freezing
Not on my machine

Says the person who's never used Chrome.

Says the person who's never used Firefox.

>at one point it looked like firefox was going to overtake IE as the dominant web browser with the biggest market share.

It already did, like a decade ago. The only threat to Firefox right now is google chrome, but google chrome is literally the botnet in its purest form.

>Chrome has always existed
You're not too swift, are you? Rather explains why you're still on Firefox.

What the hell are you even talking about now? That was never implied you retard, so I don't know who you're quoting.

Firefox is the best browser right now. I've gone and used practically every single browser on the planet and I always come back to Firefox because every other browser is always missing something. Not the guy you replied to btw.

what happened was google came along and made the fastest browser and copied all of firefox's decent features

meanwhile firefox is using the same shitty rendering engine and is slow as fuck and is gay and full of SJWs

if firefox made faster and ditched gecko or whatever its using then maybe it would make a comeback

It couldn't compete with Chrome's marketing and bundling with other software.

Firefox did overtake IE in many countries.
Then Chrome happened and Firefox went full retard, getting worse and worse over time.

>maybe if firefox used chromium it would be great
I think they should stay on their current engine. It's good, easily customised and not Google's.

>It couldn't compete with Chrome's marketing
This is true. Firefox put out a second-rate browser and couldn't compete with the word-of-mouth advertising that Chrome was better.

Chrome got the advertising right-the fastest browser at the top of every google page. Update, install, upgrade. Eventually people go for it.
The first tests were things like startup time and load time, and chrome blew firefox away. But chrome would load as a process in the back by default, so opening a window barely did anything compared to opening up firefox, but that was revealed later.
Firefox for me started to lose utility with the major UI revamps and the change to chrome versioning, so i swapped to Chrome. Sandboxing, built in flash, good htlm5 and some other stuff were honestly nice and all features it would be nice if firefox snagged.

Firefox mostly just forgot what gained them fame to start with, powerful extensions,, customization, great for power users and new people alike. And now, they fire a CEO for personal politics while having a browser that isn't even allowed into browser security tests because it's too easy to break into.

>copied all of firefox's decent features

Oh you mean like how they integrated an insecure plugin like flash into their browser? How about giving all add-ons way more permissions than they need? How about chrome's add-on page being mostly 90% Chinese crapware and malware, with only very few add-ons? How about the fact that google chrome runs analytical scripts on every page you visit and keeps a record of everything you type, read and watch?

Yep, forefox's 'decent' features alright.

This is literally the only reason why Chrome rose to the top. Google kept marketing it as the fastest browser (and it used to be, but now it's sluggish and eats up too much resources). They even went as far as to directly insult Firefox and all their competition and force websites to design their stuff to work on Chrome best. It's just Google being Google, as always.

Firefox in its desperate tries to compete with Chrome turned itself more and more into a copy of it which makes people like me who don't want Chrome looking into alternatives to Firefox. It's sad, really.

You argeu like ther is only chrom and firefox out there

All the others are lacking some serious features or they're outdated. Firefox and Chrome are the only two real browsers on the playing field. There's also Opera, but you may as well just use Chrome, new Opera is nothing like the old one (though they have a good integrated VPN).

eww...wtf? hairy mole?

>chrome didn't do anything better than firefox
That's what you newfags actually believe

Firefox 3.0 and 3.5 was shit!
It was ugly, slow, bloated and not standard compliant.
It couldn't even pass the ACID2 test for crying out loud!

Safari/Webkit has already shown that a better browser is possible.
And then Chrome happened.
It was fast, standard compliant and started immediately.
Firefox 3.0 and 3.5 was an embarrassment!

Now Firefox is better than Chrome because since Firefox 4.0 Mozilla started to unfuck Firefox from the shit it piled on it during the 3.0 and 3.5 cycle.

But Chrome now is being bundled on everything, Android and iOS happened, and honestly Chrome (apart from the spying) and Chromium are pretty good. Not the shitshow that IE6 was back in the day.

Still, I use Firefox. For all the fuckery in Mozilla Firefox still is the best browser, the most flexible one and the one that respects your privacy the most.

how bad is firefox compared to the botnet currently?

It's better. Unless you have an older PC you won't notice a difference in performance and stability. Firefox still beats it when it comes to customisation and addons. But it takes 1-3 seconds longer to open initially, less on SSD and faster HDD.

Give me stylish for gui and a decent vimperator equivalent on chrome and I'll will use it instead of ff

I've tried all the wacky browser alternatives that Sup Forums likes to jerk off to but got fed up and went back to chrome and instantly felt like I was at home. I even tried Chromium and that browser was a broken piece of shit. I'll just live with the botnet.

> it's the same browser

It's literally the same browser. You should have used Opera if you want a chromium based browser.

google.com/googlebooks/chrome/big_00.html

>Sure... no memory leaks... no freezing...
We talking about Chrome here?

Really everything is a piece of shit now.

Chrome is worse in performance than it used to be and is somehow even more user hostile and non-configurable.

Same goes for Firefox.

Opera was straight up ruined.

IE finally got to be good, then MS replaced it with Edge which I haven't used much.

Firefox tried so hard to look like chrome I just left for chrome

I bet the CIA Niggers did this. . .

Chrome has a huge budged for publicity, it even comes bundled with a lot of installers on windows.

Google put up a "browser faster with Google Chrome" banner on all of their pages.

That, and Firefox implodes over time as your user profiles start to get filled up with crap, and as you add more and more extensions. There was no quality control there - some basic extensions have caused crap like a new tab taking 5 seconds to open.

>word-of-mouth advertising

>Literally on the google frontpage

Suck the corporate cock harder, fucktard

>or separate processes
The problem with that is they end up breaking support for old addons in the process. They're bringing out E10S for multiple processes now, but to do that they have to kill the old method of doing addons and are moving to Chrome Compatible WebExtensions that make addons like Tree Style Tabs, Classic Theme Restorer, and a few others impossible.

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. I tried Chrome because someone told me it was faster than Firefox, not because there was an "INSTALL ME" button on Google.

>firefox copied chrome

you illiterate sperg

Who even uses that many extensions? I'd be surprised if more than 1% of Firefox users used over 10 extensions.
Now try Opera, it's faster than chrome.

>tfw I used to have fun ricing Firefox, adding a bunch of developer and download utilities to my status bar, using TreeStyleTabs, trying on different themes
>tfw the status bar was deprecated years ago
>tfw top menus and tabs below the tool bars, AS IT SHOULD BE, are no longer default options
>tfw it's only a matter of time before TreeStyleTabs and all other layout-changing add-ons become unusable because they'll remove XUL and XPCOM.
>tfw Firefox will become Chrome within a few months.

I am genuinely worried about what will happen.

>with 64-bit support
64-bit support became official months ago senpai. However, for some reason, the default Windows web installer will still get you the 32-bit version.

>Far more screen real-estate
FUCK THIS.

A web browser is supposed to have functionalities. Stop obscuring them in favor of content. I'm an adult and I'm able to use my fucking mouse wheel to scroll through content.

I want a top menu and a bookmarks bar. Those are two reasons I preferred Firefox over Chrome. The day they decided to change that it was like... "Why the fuck do we even have two browsers?"

Firefox should have never stopped trying to appeal to its acquired userbase to get Chrome's userbase. We need variety and choice, not "the best browser at being Chrome".

I tried out Ubuntu few weeks ago and it comes with Firefox by default. I haven't used FF since 4.something and honestly I thought I was using Chrome only it was really slow and then I realised it was FF when some ugly-ass pop-up appeared when I tried to download a file.

What's even worse is the final step of Firefox completely becoming Chrome could happen before the next LTS version. Meaning Firefox only has 5-6 months left to live.

>his Firefox is slow
Upgrade your 8 year old PC

I dont use one and single browser senpai
Chromium
Nightly
Opera developer
Edge , fast and actually usable
Palemoon and
Vivaldi

Not him, but you don't need to be a Sup Forumsfag to see that mozilla is becoming very leftist and is prefering hipsters over competent devs. I don't know how much longer I'll be keep on using firefox for. Chrome/chromium is jewggle shit and the rest are proprietary garbage. If there was a browser that supported the addons I used and was good, I would jump ship.

Non-burger leftists are also annoyed by SJWs.

Alternative to firefox that supports the same add-ons?

install Lynx

>4. Driving away the remaining hardcore fanbase with Australis
Is that where aerodynamic tabs come from?

>only Sup Forums is allowed to acknowledge reality.

What about brave software?

No, the problem is that anything that isn't a liberal opinion is automatically Sup Forums or alt-right or whatever faggy strawman liberals can think up.

>liberals
How to spot a brainwashed moron.

Stop framing things in such an asinine way and think critically about the underlying elements that actually matter. These labels "liberal" "neocon" "progressive" "conservative" are at best hazy buzzwords meant to control you through crowd psychology and tribal social dynamics.

The usage of "SJW" and "cucks" is a dead giveaway that you're not open to discussion and are obsessed with your ridiculous self-victimizing everyone-who-disagrees-is-a-cuck "redpilled" narrative. You're not the _victim_ of strawman arguments here.

You got it pal, you're just above it all aren't you

Yes. I make my own heuristics.

What was so great about Brendan?

Agreed. But you have to remember that a lot of people on this site just follow the "trends" of Sup Forums and Sup Forums and have no idea what they're talking about. It's pointless to argue with people who don't want to argue and choose to talk shit instead.

Google killed Firefox. Ruin the entire web browser market so everybody makes chrome clones.

Mozilla was obsessed with gutting their browser so they could push out that multi-process shit. Firefox didn't need that shit. Now they're working tirelessly to get rid of the extension system which is the only reason anyone cares about Firefox and replace it with a more chrome-like extension system.

I'm very disappointed.

How Can Liberals Be Real If Our Politics Aren't Real

also, kill yourself you juvenile faggot.

I'm switching to it once they implement proper bookmark management. It looks fucking promising.

>kill yourself you juvenile faggot.
>kill yourself
>you juvenile faggot.

chop-chop, get to it.

wow user, you sure are hurting his feelings.

No I'm very busy today.

He only cofounded Mozilla and invented Javascript.

Isn't Chrome botnet shit though?

Neither of those are qualifications required to hold the position that he did.

>no memory leaks... no freezing...
I'm on Linux, and Firefox is working perfectly. No freezes, no crashes, nothing.
I will say however that I've had those problems with Firefox on Windows in the past.
Maybe Firefox is somehow optimized for Linux? I don't know.

>and invented Javascript.
>implying that's a good thing

Same here. These idiots haven't used Firefox in 2 years and probably even used a shit PC and they think it's still "slow".

Funny how SJWs drool over a language that was made by a homophobe.

Liking gays should not be a qualification for the CEO of Mozilla.
Better than the alternatives - Java and later on Flash.

I like this image, I can see it working for either side.

Anything is better than flash.

I use chrome with addons for browsing and opera for pages which doesnt work with addons

Firefox is kinda gay, i always think about it as a reskinned IE 8

huh - i'm on linux on my thinkpad t420. it's slow as dog.

on average it loads websites 1 - 2 seconds slower than chrome. and the ui has a 500 - 1000ms lag. stuff like opening a new tab

Is it possible to update the 32 version to a 6s?