Gentoo Dev dead at 29

gentoo.org/news/2016/08/23/in-memory-of-jonathan-avenj-portnoy.html

RIP sweet prince. Important Gentoo dev just died.

Jonathan David Portnoy, 29, of Wilton, died August 10, 2016. Computer wizard, vaping expert, faithful friend, and original thinker, he was known for his wit and intellect. He was widely read, had eclectic interests, and willingly shared his knowledge.

His fascination with computers began at an early age. Totally self-taught, he became a prominent member of several online communities, including IRC White Tower and Gentoo Linux. At 15, Jon was named head of Gentoo Developers Relations. He excelled at software programming, which he pursued on both a freelance and volunteer basis.

Jon also recently became an e-cigarette aficionado and enjoyed creating a wide variety of unique flavors. He loved kayaking, propagating plants from cuttings, debating politics, and listening to music, especially at an electronic dance music festival.

Jon will be deeply missed by his parents, William and Diane Portnoy, his brother Joshua, and his friends – locally and online around the world – as well as his vape customers.

Donations in his memory may be made to the Perl Foundation at
donate.perlfoundation.org/donate.html

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/user/avenj
wmur.com/news/nh-news/Wilton-man-accused-of-assaulting-woman-he-met-online/14432180
youtube.com/watch?v=W69SSLfRJho
twitter.com/AnonBabble

install gentoo

>vaping expert
h-h-here we go

[F]

rip

even if he didn't like things I like, and liked things that I don't like (perl, vaping, edm festivals) it's still sad to see someone who spent a large portion of their time working for charity, and on a project I've personally benefitted from, die prematurely like this

first harambe, now this?

>Gentoo
>Made by 15yo vaping expert
And people think why Loonix distros aren't thought of as serious operating systems.

cause of death?

Hasn't been reported so he probably killed himself. Not reported on the Gentoo site or on this obituary site.

accidental removal of life-critical USE flags

kek

>Jon will be deeply missed by his parents, William and Diane Portnoy, his brother Joshua, and his friends – locally and online around the world – as well as his vape customers.

No GF or wife I see.

riparino pepperoni

Why did he die so young? Is this a GNU/Linux developer conspiracy after the passing of Ian Murdock? What about the grooveshark founder a year prior? Where are all these young tech founders going and why is no one posting their death cause?

I think we should keep watch to the near future to see if Gentoo finally adopts systemd...

so many references to vaping jesus christ. Did he die from some sort of vaping accident?

Are you implying RedHat killed this Gentoo developer?

RIP. As a Sup Forumsentooman who has installed gentoo, I pay my respects.

i never knew the guy, but he might have lol'd at this

yes. Or NSA

>Jonathan David Portnoy,
No complaints?

Or CIA niggers.

the NSA doesn't kill people, they just solve maths problems. You're thinking of ISIL

Agree, sounds weird (not just the vaping part)

As far as you know.

let's not politicize the death of an open source software developer

could you give a reason?

That's a cucks way of thinking.

Think about it. If there was in fact nothing at all and it was natural death, then we press F and move on.

However, if there was in fact dirty/foul play involved, do you not think that it's the right thing to do to expose the guilty and give justice to the name of the deceased?

Why do you think coroners and medical examiners exist instead of every death being just ruled out as "natural"?

and nothing of value was lost

because, satan, the inability to prove a negative is the cucks way out, allowing them to perpetuate conspiracy theories: pretending the 1% likely scenario is the 70% likely scenario, and then saying that all evidence that says the conspiracy is false is actually part of the conspiracy

someone pls make terry x justfuckmyshitupguy pic

Daily reminder that vaping kills

he contributed more to the world than you could ever hope to

He contributed to a meme operating system.

Nah, I don't vape, so I've already contributed more to the world than he ever will.

and what is a meme, if not something that has affected many people

Nice way to put words in my mouth. Plus you made those numbers up.

I never said to disregard all other evidence in lieu of a small contrary minority, nor did I even imply it.

I am merely suggesting that if something is suspicious then it should be explored and then interpretations and decisions made after, and said decisions and interpretations be left to the individual (though consensus would be nice).

I bet it was an NSA Nigger.
Install liquid tobacco

I could go out and start throwing my bottled piss on people and it would affect them. Does my life have worth now?

Gentoo is meritocratic by nature. He may have been a vaping douche, but he was a vaping douche who could do something

which still had a positive effect on many peoples' lives

you're doing exactly what i said

You can use systemdicks on gentoo, however when you use alternatives, you don't

Thank you, Jonathan!

Those same people who "think" that didn't do jack shit for any Linux community or anything like it, right?

Fuck the people who think you need to be such a "respectable" person like them.

wtf? By suggesting that suspicious things should be investigated, I'm "perpetuating conspiracy theories"? Are you dense?

Oh wait, I guess you must be one of those academic intellectuals I've heard about.

>there is no reason to look into anything suspicious
>seriously, don't look over there
>nothing to see! Honest!

Yeah ok Chaim.

Gentoo has been one of the very first distros to support running systemd. It's just optional, like pretty much everything else that can be optional.

of course you should investigate suspicious things, but you should follow the evidence, not your feelings about the evidence.

Not the same dude, but the point is there's nothing actually suspicious going on here.

And I agree with that. So I don't understand what we're arguing about.

I just believe that if something happens, these questions should always be asked:

Why did it happen?
When did it happen?
How did it happen?

You can't always just pass things off as non-suspicious even if it may appear totally innocuous on the outside.

Like I said earlier, you look into something and if there's nothing else to find you move on. Otherwise you continue looking.

>Gentoo
>Perl
>Mouth Fedora "aficionado"

I'd fucking kill myself too.

Sounds like you should consider it anyway!

It could, yeah. Right now, you are just arguing on a pointless chinese typewritter bbs instead of doing anything constructive. Oh, also the part where you are just talking shit about dead people. I'd take the piss-flinger over an entitled little shit like yourself.

Unlike him, you're still wasting resources and space, so he probably has you beat now.

Neither did basically any religious figure, or people like Newton who contributed a great deal.

>le internet hate machine meme xDDDDD so funny guise I almost feel outta my chair cuz I can't stop laff
kys

>wasting resources and space
I'm not a jobless NEET though.

You probably are though.

And even if you aren't, your mcjob is likely hardly a contribution

>"eclectic" (head case)
>vape (autist)
>"plant cuttings" (weed)
>EDM (pills)
>more than likely off'ed himself
There you go, an actual legitimate degenerate as head of Gentoo.

I'm sure his parents aren't happy that he's dead, but I'm certain they're relieved that he's gone.

Install Gentoo. ;_;

dont ask to many question or look too closely, you might find out that there really are monsters under your bed, and then where will you sleep at night

>vaping expert
How do i become an expert at smoking chemical water?

>I'm sure his parents aren't happy that he's dead, but I'm certain they're relieved that he's gone.

I bet his cause of death is too much vaping.

>Best OS if you know your shit
>Best high-level language if you know your shit
But yeah, Mouth Fedora

Removal of a person from the equation is a math problem.

>the right thing
>give justice
Every death is "natural". You sure are sounding righteous, Satan.

more like erotic asphyxiation

You forgot

> politics (Gaymergater/MRA)

Really sad news. My thoughts go out to his family and friends

>start throwing my bottled piss on people
It's 2016 and you're still peeing in bottles? How fucking old are you? Stop this shit it's embarrassing.

You really need to invest in a canning system for your piss. The metal cans protect the piss from light damage. UV light destroys flavor and aroma molecules. And don't be a philistine and say "no one can tell the difference it's just piss". Trust me, the people you throw it on know. They know

>vaping expert

but i thought arcades were senpai

So is this shit meme finally dead?

*were dying

RIP in peace man. All you gentoo users, pour a little out your piss bottles to honor this man.

lennart poettering hired the redhat hitsquad to push the systemd malware onto our glorious gentoo

> vaping expert

FUG :-DDDDDDDDDDD

>Wasted his whole life on shitty operating system which nobody even uses

>dead at 29
he killed himself didn't he

he could have been a rogue african

Anyone would kill himself if all he does is installing gentoo.

I just spent two fucking 9hr days at work installing Gentoo and I kek'd at this

The internet AI God assimilates them. It helped them transcend their biological form.

>yeah I vape

What did he die of?

kernel update

Freak vaping accident

When will the kill-commands finally be removed to stop the triggering?

>Jonathan David Portnoy, 29, of Wilton, died August 10, 2016. Computer wizard, vaping expert, faithful friend, and original thinker, he was known for his wit and intellect.

>... so I pointed out I'm a Jew and they let it go.
reddit.com/user/avenj

There is a god

Gentoo.

Vaping

Rip, always sad to hear this

You're supposed to tell us how he died in the first paragraph.

0/10 you're fired

this

Did he kill himself?

wmur.com/news/nh-news/Wilton-man-accused-of-assaulting-woman-he-met-online/14432180
Short video clip of him at 1:20

He was anti-systemd, nuff said

>ou might find out that there really are monsters under your bed,
read that
sounds familiar
trying to thing what show its from
keep re-reading it
saying maybe there really are monsters under your bed in my head over and over
coffee pot hisses one of those real deep slow long hisses it does when its out of water
spoopy

I hope he finally found his peace.

A reminder to everyone not to let our interests consume us as our peers separate from us we will find ourselves alone.

Nobody knows cause of death? I'm seeing some hints towards suicide.

where the fuck do you work?

youtube.com/watch?v=W69SSLfRJho