/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:G41
ebay.com/itm/IBM-Thinkpad-G40-Series-/272351089682?hash=item3f6963d412:g:F6wAAOSw9NdXvOI~
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Anyone have experience with the newer Thinkpads?
Looking at T460s mainly.

Page 9 BEGONE!

>tfw gaymez refuse to use dedicated GPU
anyone ever had this problem?

That looks expensive, m80. Money not an issue?

T420 - 200eur
or
T430 - 260eur

help pls

Not really. Light weight and battery life are what I'm looking for.

Anybody used the Dell M6600 before? Found a cheap one on ebay with a 15.6" 1080p display, quadro 3000M, 4GB RAM and i5-2520QM. Worth buying for 290GBP (380USD)?

T430
also, to anyone interested in gayming on T430 NVS 5400m card - disable nvidia optimus. In my case it adds more than 30% FPS in all tested gaymes - fallout 4, farcry 4, gta V

Yes, upgrade intel iGPU driver.
>i5-2520qm
there is no such a thing

Shit, i5-2520M, no Q.

i5-2520m is shit, I hope you'll upgrade it to quad core model immediately.

Windows
>right click
>unzip

Linoox
>open terminal
>$: tar -bzKJMbGF
>wrong command
>$: tar -vFBSJFKAJF
>wrong command
>$: man tar
>oooooh that's right it was a LOWERCASE zBFAMILAMFM followed by a CAPITAL JFMBX

Will do. With the money I save from not buying a thinkpad, I can buy an i7 for it. UK problems :(

I think it's for you

>implying this stale bait will save your thread from dying

But you don't use tar to unzip...

unzip name.zip -d location

If you can't remember that, you should go back to Windows, like the retarded user that you are.

hell if you have an actual de/filemanager you can most of the times just right click and press unzip/extract

What is file-roller?

>not just using extract from oh-my-zsh

>not using ranger in 2016

I have a 14" T60. What are my options as far as building a Frankenpad? Did I buy the wrong one, guys?

the shitposting experience becomes difficult without image previews

Use descriptive filenames then. Such as:

Pepe_in_warm_blanket.png,
Pepe_drinking_wine.jpg
Pepe_trump.jpg

Cheap, portable laptop for CompSci at uni. Is the X220/230 my best bet?
And is eBay best for used thinkpads in the UK?

You can swap the board for a 14.1" T61 or T61p. That's about it.

Do I pull the trigger? CPU isn't the best, there are i5 based things near the price, but that folding screen man

how are C2D's in this day and age anyways? Probably going to run some form of gnu/linux on it or just windows 7 to actually use the digitizer

x220

pull the trigger on your fuckin' head

it aint worth it mate

So what's wrong with it? Guess I just buy the i5 models instead?

im not a rich guy but im in uni
if i had about 150$ whats the best i could get?

The Synaptic Touchpad driver that installed on my T420 in Windows 7 is old as fuck. Lenovo System Update installed it by default and the driver software doesn't even let me control the touchpad speed sensitivity.

The only way I can change is it I go to Control Panel Mouse settings and change there

Went to a local store and found a X200 for $375 USD. Why did they price it like that?

>T43p
>GPU temp go up to ~95c when just watching a webm
>X crashes all the time with some message that radeon something is unresponsive
>boot screen has weird lines and artifacts
GPU is dead isn't it?

cause they know some fucktard will buy it.

whats the thiccest thinkpad ever made? i like THICC laptops

Linux
>right click
>unzip

Windows
>open your web browser
>search for some third-party archive utility
>download
>install
>right click
>unzip

My L412 is pretty thick, but it isn't a real Thinkpad to be honest.

G40/41 (bottom)

Which CPU?

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:G41

Turn off compositing in your DE and see if it improves.

Getting an x230 this week with i5,ips and 240gb ssd for like 300$, any thoughts?

x201 best girl!

I already did and yes it is mostly usable now when not doing anything taxing and having the fan blow hard constantly.

Time to upgrade I guess

plz respond

Good morning, /tpg/!

where can i get one?

Replace the keyboard and you're set.

YOGA 900 IS AMAZING

ebay.com/itm/IBM-Thinkpad-G40-Series-/272351089682?hash=item3f6963d412:g:F6wAAOSw9NdXvOI~

hp elitebook 2570p

I hate youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu both!
Dude, I'm waiting for my x200 piece of shit laptop to arrive and install freedom in it, and seller happened to choose myhermes.

Tracking information is nuts, just weird messages that, upon googling, yield a facebook conversation between a girl and the company.

Dude I envy you... For now I must be patient.

Good morning

Curious question, how much time does the battery of your thinkpaddu last? My intention is to make it my personal shitpostan machine.

cancerous

It's a 47+ battery that sits flush and it lasts about 3hr30min with normal use.

I've managed to squeeze 4 hours out of it if I turn the wifi off, but why would I do that?

Hi there.

It's a good laptop, you'll be happy to show it off when it comes! Good luck!

jealous

Thinking about getting a W530. Is there any particular reason why shoudn't I buy one?

I ordered a 9-cell for this one. I'd like to be able to take the train home (6h) and program shit all the way along.
I wonder if GZDooM will run on this thing properly... People say that the nipple is kind of cool for shooters. I despise joystick in shooters but hey.

If I'm to watch japanese cartoons, do I need to have any special caution? will it run?

>new thinkpads

I don't think so, but it's too big in my opinion. :T

Personally, I would get a W520 for the keyboard. Ivy bridge isn't needed because I wouldn't really lug around a W520, I would use a T420/430 or X220/230 for that.

thinkan bout a X230T with a dock battery

hello /g
i am french and i would like to buy a cheap x220, do you now where i can find one?
thanks

Any idea how I could set up the nipple mouse as a sort of scroll stick? i.e. instead of moving the mouse it will just scroll up/down.

X230 with docking station for 300$ or refurbed X220 with 1 year warranty for the same price. I am open to swapping the keyboard on the X230.

whitch is better X230 or X220
i prefered small laptop

warranty is a meme

Is that a yes on the X230 then?

yes

X230. Learn to replace parts yourself and you won't need a warranty.

these look bretty old, i guess i will just get a chromebook

>It's a good laptop

Mind that it's the ole x200. Like, I know what I'm going for. It's gonna be a step down.

But, not that much of a step down because my current laptop is like, 5 years old, so, I won't notice too much.. r-right?

What laptop should I get.
I need:
- 1080p screen
- 8GB RAM / Ability to upgrade to 8GB
- Decent enough CPU for node development and to not take 10 years to run webpack/gulp

Is it a good idea to buy a used Thinkpad?

The move from the 220 to the 230 was the keyboard change from the old style to the chiclet keys. I like the news keyboards but if you don't then get the 220. It'll be cheaper and the other specs are almost the same. They both have shitty screens though. There was no decent resolution available on either model, even the IPS tablet versions were still 1366x768

Check out the W520

As long as you do your research, understand that you're getting a used computer which might require some service and upgrades, you should be fine. They were built very well up until recently. There's almost nothing of the old Thinkpad quality left in the newer Lenovo models

What?
You know you have to select what card you want to use in the nvidia drivers right? Or if you are on linux run the program with either optirun or primusrun

>you have to remember every command for every insignificant action
what's your favourite anime?

so x230 with no battery and a crack in the bottom cover for $60 bucks is a good deal right?

That sounds like a great deal. If the crack is on the palm rest, you can swap that out for cheap, and the battery isn't that expensive either.

>battery isn't that expensive either

Yeah its on the palm rest and the bottom cover too it looks like but everything is supposed to work. Only a 60gb ssd. But that should be enough for Linux. I figure the cost of a battery plus palm rest and bottom cover is still a pretty good deal.

nuhuh

How does the new style keyboard compare to the old?

What's the Thinkpad with the most functions?

Whats with people saying thinkpad has locked bios problems? Is this true? Really want to get one.

>original

Just a warning. Since the 30 series, laptops refuse to charge non original batteries.

>he thinks it wasn't genuine

If only I still had the papers and boxing that came with it, the big poster-paper lenovo warning sheets would be good enough proof.

Now find me a x230 original battery for cheap.

Do what I did and sit on ebay for weeks until an OEM battery pops up for a decent price, that's how it works.

Also, most *real* x200/x201 batteries go for ~$80, more expensive than the averages I'm seeing on the x230 batteries.

What's the most customizable thinkpad? I am looking for a thinkpad that is super cheap and i can change the cpu to an i7 if i wish.

Now think, is a x230 with no battery with cracks a good deal for $60? You'll have to buy the battery for another $70 and then a palmrest for $10 and you'll have spent $140 for a cracked laptop at the base that can't be fixed unless you buy a whole new underside for it, which is a bit more expensive than a simple palmrest. And it only has a 60gb ssd.

Doesn't seem like a very good deal to me.

TBLAZEIT

W520. T420 also has a socketed CPU, but it doesn't have the proper cooling system for a quad core i7.

X61 with the X62 motherboard and X60t SXGA+ screen transplant. Doesn't get much more custom than that.

Can confirm, the G40's were the biggest ThinkPads, its thicker than a W700ds but doesn't weigh as much.
Main part is because it uses a desktop processor, there is a Dell Inspiron I came across that had a P4 and I think was bigger but produced a hella scary high pitched warning sound.

The G41 removed the floppy port and put in an nVidia FX go 5200.

I have no idea what the G50 changed.
Putting up the G40 I have on the market for golds

Had a W530 and loved it
Only dissapointment was that I happened to get one with a 'bad' blue-tinted FHD display.

OMG thats the rarest thinkpad on the left, POST MORE

Is there a t420 that is around $150