Worst recent tech purchase

Worst recent tech purchase.

Died after a year, could have been me using it as a desktop drive.

There is a lot of 1 stars review on Amazon so the drive may just be shit in general.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Seagate-Archive-6GBps-128MB-ST8000AS0002/product-reviews/B00XS423SC/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

just check that any aam or apm is disabled. its the frequent head parking that breaks drives

>2016
>Not using an SSD as storage
You deserved it you dumbfuk

I have that as a storage backup drive/external drive for laptop.
Still working.
Unfortunately there's no other single drives with better price/gb and I don't want to lug around 2 4tb drives.

It's an archive HDD, what did you expect?

Archive HDDs are meant to be filled with data, then set aside for months and months at a time and only brought out if needed.

They are meant to archive or backup your data, not to be used as an actual operation disk.

Pic related,died in less than 20 days of use
using the warranty for the 3rd time now

I went with WD this gen. Am I safe?

all harddrives from all manufacturers have a chance of spontaneous failure, there isn't anything you can do about it if you happen to have one of those HDDs, that's life.

Maybe he couldn't of afforded a 1tb ssd...

Stop being poor dumbass

The drives are just shit.

amazon.com/Seagate-Archive-6GBps-128MB-ST8000AS0002/product-reviews/B00XS423SC/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0

I didn't say I was a poor, maybe he is...

>8TB hard drive cheaper than 4TB datacenter drives
well no fucking shit.

>buying semengate
all their drives are shit

You're literally the most annoying namefag on this board
Congrats i guess

You posted this thread before. The disk is perfectly good, and it's your own fault for misusing it.

>Seagate
oh, we told ya...

buy HGST

or if you don't care about data but don't want to get ripped off by manufactuers then buy something with 5yr warranty

>8TB meme
>not even a helium drive
Come on, OP. You should have known better than buying the first generation of a new technology.
Next time, just buy a 6TB drive and buy another one once you run out of room.

Hows wd now?
would I regret getting wd reds for storage/ movie watching, running vm's off of, and some mild gaymin?

explain why 8tb is a meme

never had any issues with toshiba 1/2tb drives

had 1 seagate painfully squeal then die on me and a western read head fail but these things happen, keep more backups

At my job, we found that WD has awful driver support for those dedicated passport drives, but never come in for data recovery unless it's ultra old or an extreme case.

It uses shingled magnetic recording, which means it has massive write amplification. It's completely unsuitable for use as a general apps/OS drive. It's called "archive" for a reason.

In order to fit 8TB onto a 3.5" case, they either had to increase the sector density on the platters or add more platters. They did the former through shingled magnetic recording, which basically overlaps the read tracks on the platters for higher density at the expense of writing data, since the write section of one track overlaps with the read section of the subsequent track.
What does that have to do with the Seagate's reliability problem? SMR allows the designers to recycle their spindle head design from the previous Seagate Desktop 5900rpm models for reduced cost, but their spindle design was never that great to begin with. They are optimized for silence over performance and longevity (not helped by their aggressive head parking firmware), so the spindle is just as likely to burn out or crash as the Desktop ones. Since the tracks are more closely put together on the 8TB drive, it is that much more vulnerable to head crashes, damages, or other errors from vibrations since more tracks have the potential to get damaged from a single fault.

Damn. I was thinking of getting a couple WD Red 4tb for my data hoard.
do the 4tbs suffer from the same nigger rigging?

Ive had wd drives for years, its been a daily use drive since 2008 and its been loyal. Had wd gone to shit since then? Seagate use to be good, but then they were kill.

This.

This.

They are rated to be a "hot" archive, so not just left on the shelf but rarely written and semi-frequently read - but you're correct that you absolutely mustn't be frequently overwriting sectors.

It's fine, if you're using it as rated. It is not AT ALL rated for any desktop use.

/thread

Weird. I've had the same HDD since 2009. No issues, but I've been thinking about getting an SSD for the speeds.

It's an archive drive. It's perfect for dumping your pirated movies, music and chink cartoons on but don't ever use it as an OS drive or for running programs and games off.

Reliability wise they're about typical for Seagate/WD tier drives. Expect that they will probably fail. Always have backups.

And don't use it in a RAID array either. You might be able to get away with ZFS/BTRFS raid but conventional LVM/MDRAID will give single digit MB/s array rebuild speds

The last gen WD Red doesn't have SMR, but I'm not 100% certain of the new models. They're fine as long as you have multiple back-ups and copies. RAID1/5/10 is not a back-up.

Lesson to be learnt - never buy Seagate, or Toshiba drives. Trusted a 1tb Toshiba drive with a ton of data a few years back, thing had no SMART errors or issues, one day, boom, ticking. All of a sudden, thing never left my desktop. Also sick of fixing PCs at work with dead Seagate drives, with more Seagate drives, I'm just being told what to do even though I know they'll just fail within 6 months again.

pic related
Its too noisy

Ive never raided before, but I was thinking of doing whatever raid writes complete copies to both discs.

I have a seagate 2tb 3.5" external from 2010 that is built like a tank. It's fallen so many times, even while it was spinning and it just keeps going. Eventually I learned to just leave it laying an its side and not stand it up like its designed to.
I had an old seagate ide in a laptop years ago that failed, I really want the data back. So because of that Im always skeptical of seagate.

Ive used toshiba laptop drives that were probably a special order by a company of non computer use, those usually get the click of death and a few have stopped working.

Ive never used hgst. WD is about the only thing I will trust when it comes to mechanical harddrives.

>Ive never raided before
It's best not to and do weekly back-ups of an entire drive onto another drive. If your files get corrupted or infected, RAID will just copy those problematic files onto the other disk, meaning that you're still going to have issues even with a copy.

This. RAID doesn't protect you from human errors, file system errors, and ransomware.

Bruh pls. I have two in my machine and I don't even hear them.

>If your files get corrupted
Use zfs and raid-z

Good point about alot of that stuff. I'm not really concerned about ransom ware or infections though. I use Linux and most of my files I don't even have read or write access too and I don't unlock them until I do a reboot.

Is there any downside to using wd reds in a desktop? Someone mentioned something about backup harddrives having shit heads, someone else said parking broke the heads on seagates.
What I was planing on doing was having an ssd for my os and frequently used things like firefox, and a couple wd reds set to be redundant copies of my files. I noticed the drive settings have have it power down when not in use, I thought about having it shut the mechanical drives down after 10 minutes or so.
How bad was I about to fuck up?

>seagoy

>seagoy run

So I have that same drive and it's doing some strange noise when I power up my PC, I've been using it for a year and half and i'm getting paranoid, should I buy a new one and do a back up?

I'd buy a new drive, copy the contents over and keep the old drive in your closet as an emergency backup

The drive didn't exist in 2009.

[citation needed]
>(not helped by their aggressive head parking firmware)

So ok, 2 posts cite over parking as a failure source. How? I'm truly interested.

>buy HGST
Oh FUCK yes! A 1tb drive came to me aa a fellow IT monkey got it as payment. He sold it to me because he needed the money and I reluctantly bought it to help him.

That was like 4-5 years ago, it saw 2 old seagates and a WD died. 1 was a doomed 3tb seagate (I suspected it died from vibration issues witha faulty fan in a vidcard) but the Hitachi is still strong with no SMART issues after 23k hours in operation.

The problem in my country is the maket being flooded with seagate, wd and toshiba.

The next desktop drive I will get will be an HGST for sure.

Someone PLEASE tell me a good but cheap 120GB SSD.
Looking at the ADATA ($40) but it uses TLC, or the Transcend ($45) which uses MLC.
I will buy an 850 EVO when I have the proper money to get a 480GB drive.

Is the SSD Kingston V400 240gb good?

Thanks for using a trip since now i can filter you, tripfag.

Crucial MX300 275GB ssd. $70 Last I checked. Uses Micron based 3D flash nan like the 850 EVO series does and the drive is only a tiny bit slower than the EVO in many regards.

>tfw my Toshiba HDD is fucking up

Every now and then windows says there's a hard disk problem, and several disk diagnostics programs tell me the raw read error rate is bad, but then suddenly it goes back to being ok and windows shuts up about it

what capacity/type of toshiba drive/ I have 2x4TB Toshiba x300 drives in my server. 10+TB written per drive as soon as I took them out of the box. No problems.

>buttmad WDumbs detected

>tfw riding the HGST train
Why bother with anything else for mechanical storage?

DT01ACA100 1TB 7200rpm, bought about half a year ago

>run goy run

What part of "Archive HDD" did you miss?

You write shit to it, plug it out and put it away. It's used for mass storage in archival purposes, not designed to run in a constant desktop workload.

This is also known as cold storage:

Cold storage is a computer system designed for the retention of inactive data on a long-term or indefinite basis at low cost

>could have been me using it as a desktop drive.
That's what it was, you fucking dumbass

I hope you're one of the guys shitposting with that name and not the actual shitposter that legitimately uses that name. Either way the post is retarded.

That beawesome faggot's still worse, Jordan's in close second though.

Says the guy who has 2 980's in SLI and an ULTRA(tm) MEGA(tm) GIGA(tm) EXTREME JEW EDITITON MEME motherboard. (Gaming).

I've been using a seagate hdd for 2 years. I turn it on every day and iy never failed me.

>DT01ACA100 1TB 7200rpm
Ayy m8, you got the shit drive. Apart from the newer P300, any Toshiba drive under 4TB is pretty bad in terms of reliability because they're all based on the same fragile platter/spindle design from 2010. The reason why >3TB Toshiba drives have much better reliability is that they're actually based on their enterprise drives that didn't pass all of the stringent hardware specifications. Those have much faster random read speeds and small file write speeds because of their server-centric firmware, a larger cache size, and a different spindle design aimed at access speed over noise (which is why all 4/5/6TB Toshiba drives are loud as shit, because noise doesn't matter in a server rack).
Backstory: Toshiba didn't have a design for hard drives greater than 3TB because they thought there was no consumer demand for it as far back as 2013. Once the demand started arising, they realized that their previous designs could not be expanded to hold denser than 750GB platters (I think it had to do with the platter hub taking up too much writable platter surface area), so they had to come up with something in a really short span of time. What they did was they took the only 4TB+ designs they had in their production line - which were all enterprise drive - and consumerized them (aka cheaped them out of firmware and hardware features) to get them on the market quickly. That's why all their 500GB-3TB drives are made in China (a consumer drive factory that also made their laptop drives), but all of their 4TB+ drives are made in Thailand (which only made higher quality enterprise drives up until 2015).

WTF

I thought Hitachi went into bankruptcy and they got snapped up by WD for pennies? did they just buy the name and Hitachi operates as normal

>2 posts cite over parking as a failure source
Do you know what head parking is?

HGST is still a company, they're just owned by WD now. WD may own HGST, but HGST still has the better drives.

my k70 vengance
Had to contact Corsair twice because the switches died
Not because the 5 million clicks or smth like that
Because Corsair
It broke down a third time and just gave up and switched to a ducky

if you can afford an 8tb hdd you can afford a 1tb ssd
they're pretty much the same price

>same price
>holds 8x less data
>SSD for data storage
Yeah, no thanks

Samsung user here, mishit faggot

AFAIK HGST was sold to WD. I guess WD maintained the HGST brand because it is well positioned in the market. I really hope that WD leaves them to be as they want as long they produce reliable hard drives.

So, I saw affordable Toshiba drives with 4/5/6tb capacity, but honestly I'm biased against Toshiba since I got many laptops with faulty Toshiba drives.

So, are the P300 and the X300 drives reliable?

How about the L series?

Toshiba got some of HGST's 3.5" plants when WD bought HGST. Essentially their 3.5" drives are HGST.

this is the case

I know a guy who's still at risk of losing job because of the merge
he's also my sauce for free drives :^)

Thanks, that is exactly the kind of info I come to Sup Forums for

>P300
From what I can tell, they have slightly different platter motors and possibly a new spindle arm/ motor design. They also have twice the cache size (from 32MB to 64MB). They are alright for a consumer drive and pretty fast by 7200rpm 3.5" drive standards (think better than 2013 1TB WD Black speeds in a drive roughly half the cost: 200MB/s peak read, 190MB/s peak write mostly thanks to the enlarged cache size).
Now, I own both the X300 and previous Toshiba 5TB models and they have the same exact physical design apart from a slightly altered PCB housing the controller. The motor for the spindle might be different (the X300 sounds a little less raucous, but that might be placebo) and the warranty on the newer X300 is a year shorter.
>Toshiba got some of HGST's 3.5" plants
Yes, and those were all located in China. But their hard drive designs (and the plant itself) originated from Fujitsu, whom Hitachi bought out long before.

Also, I know for a fact that the 4/5/6TB Toshibas, both old and new, are reliable as they come. They might be consumer drives, but most of their hardware has been cannibalized from the MG04 model aimed at data centers. My MD04s are almost two years old now running on 24/7/365 and they are still running just fine; no bad sectors, no drop in performance, and no signs of hardware malfunction despite being used as a home surveillance drive (constant writes) and a seedbox (constant read and writes). The X300s are only a year old, but they still have the same performance as they had when they were new, despite nearly 15TB being written on them.

So I had a chance to talk to an HGST rep at a convention. What was explained to me was that Toshiba is getting the old "Hitachi" plant drives and production. HGST is on a new production line that they are producing their HGST drives on as well as WD now. The WD acquisition of HGST is because WD barely has any entry into the server market.

Mine is still going strong since Sept last.
But it is in a NAS so it's being used as designed, mostly for Time Machine backups.

>amazon.com/Seagate-Archive-6GBps-128MB-ST8000AS0002/product-reviews/B00XS423SC/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0
Despite the bad reviews 56% of purchasers gave it 5 stars.
Probably going to jinx myself but mine is going fine after 11 months in a DLink ShareCenter.
Many complaints about mounting holes and the disk size being an issue for some OSs posted on Amazon.
Wouldn't you think a buyer would check these things?

Honestly, all drives have their share of bad reviews because they got a defective or DOA drive and now vow never to buy anything from that manufacturer again because of that one incident, despite almost half of all drives on the market today originating from the same factories. The HDD industry today is more incestuous than a deepwood Appalachian redneck family thanks to all the buyouts and manufacturing partnerships.
The best way to buy a 100% reliable drive is to buy a 10 of them at once and RMA the defective ones after stress-testing them for a week. And even then, your tested drive will now have a higher chance of failing.

Also
>mounting holes and the disk size being an issue
>OS-related
doesnotcompute
They're bitching about how the MOUNTING HOLES on the drive itself is somehow incompatible WITH AN OS. Jesus Christ I need to kill something.
>all mac owners
Ah, that explains it!

I meant my own hdd,

>I know they'll just fail within 6 months again.
You ever heard of a thing called "job security"?

nVidia 3D Vision 2 would be one of the recent wastes of money. Devs, movie producers, and whoever else dropped 3D support like a bad habit all at once one day. It was a decent novelty for the games where it did work, but nothing something to use all the time or for serious play. The 144hz monitor was well worth the money though.

DAILY reminder that Jordan is a fat degenerate and we make fun of him everyday.

Can confirm Toshiba 2TB drives are shit.
Died after a year

I don't understand how people didn't anticipate the 3D drop when VR started gaining the slightest traction.

See

>>mounting holes and the disk size being an issue
>>OS-related
>doesnotcompute
>They're bitching about how the MOUNTING HOLES on the drive itself is somehow incompatible WITH AN OS. Jesus Christ I need to kill something.
So you failed reading comprehension.
And you failed trolling 101.

You're comparing apples in oranges. There was nothing to anticipate off of anything. The last wave of 3D was a massive effort by hardware manufacturers and content producers to get the average consumer to pay a markup for better experience. It gained some traction, but the hardware people wanted moar profits, media producers didn't want to put in the effort, and game devs wanted a COTS solution for their game engines.
VR got its start as couple of guys running a kickstarter that essentially said "we can do goodnuff VR on the cheap," the geeks went apeshit, and the incumbent hardware folks jumped in with Facebook coming out of nowhere.

>you failed trolling 101.
I didn't realize how dumb the Archive's shell design was until I actually opened the page and saw the picture. I can only imagine that it was designed with their external drive cases in mind for some inconceivably stupid reason. However, you can still use two of the bottom mounting holes or at least two of the side holes to keep the drive secured to the caddy. It might not be the most secure way to mount the drive, but it's still somewhat possible.

And mounting holes (physical hardware) and drive size (again, physical hardware) have NOTHING to do with the OS (software). Nice try though.