I want to learn everything there is to know about linux as an OS, which books,courses...

I want to learn everything there is to know about linux as an OS, which books,courses,online tutorials should I check out?

Money's not an issue.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sJwwcw56d6c
tldp.org/guides.html
gnu.org/
kernel.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The Gentoo Handbook

Install gentoo
youtube.com/watch?v=sJwwcw56d6c

tldp

That's a waste of time comparable to get a degree on woman's studies. Why don't you learn a programming language instead?

I know python and that'senough for me.

tldp.org/guides.html
Have fun

Sure than what? How do I use an OS I know nothing about, I don't really feel like looking up a youtube tutorial everytime I wanna do something.

Thanks.

Well the first step then is to google and research what exactly you want to learn. For starters, Linux (the actual term) is the kernel, GNU is the actual GUI and both make GNU/Linux, or Linux for short. I found that it's easier to start with Ubuntu or Mint, if you're use to Windows, and learn how the OS works. Get familiar with the terminal, sudo, ect. That's basically what I did when I had enough of Microsoft's bullshit

>GNU is the actual GUI and both make GNU/Linux
What ?

>GNU is the actual GUI and both make GNU/Linux

Richard Stallman created GNU, a functioning operation system, back in the 80s. But it needed a kernel to work. The kernel is the brain that makes the operating system work. In the early 90s, a Finnish dude named Linus Torvalds gave Richard's GNU project his Linux kernel. The two combined to form GNU/Linux, or commonly known as Linux. It gave birth to Red Hat, Debian, autism, gentoo, ect.

gnu.org/
kernel.org/

>linux as an OS

Is that pepsi open source?

Did it come with the recipe to allow him to change and improve the product as he wishes?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a cockfull OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

How do you do your computing, user?

>Is that pepsi open source?
No, but at least it's not coke!

quote:
A supply of tea with milk and sugar would be nice. If it is tea I
really like, I like it without milk and sugar. With milk and sugar,
any kind of tea is fine. I always bring tea bags with me, so if we
use my tea bags, I will certainly like that tea without milk or sugar.

If I am quite sleepy, I would like two cans or small bottles of
non-diet Pepsi. (I dislike the taste of coke, and of all diet soda;
also, there is an international boycott of the Coca Cola company for
killing union organizers in Colombia and Guatemala; see
killercoke.org.) However, if I am not very sleepy, I won't want
Pepsi, because it is better if I don't drink so much sugar.

He's actually autistic.

All non-open source foodstuffs are a crime against muh freedoms!

Stallman is ok with artwork being protected and non-copyable. I think food is a form of art (or course can software not also be art?)

propepsitary.jpg

Terry's favorite drink is Shasta, lol.

Good point -- why is software not art?

There's more than one way to do anything, which means the developer is more or less an artisan making choices on the function of his creation.

Install a linux system and just play around with it. You'll break stuff very often, but that's okay, we all did at first. The important thing is you learn to fix the stuff that you will constantly break and you'll be better at understanding Linux. Alternatively, you could do the old fashioned boring way of reading books. There are a couple of well written books out there about Linux.

This guy knows his stuff, OP.

Go just install it and get a few books. Have a coke while you do.

Learn C.

>le learn C and you'll be able to understand everything!!! meme xDD

Fuck off with this shitty meme, C fags are the worst.

I haven't seen anyone who sell their software as art.
If you do that, you can argue why nobody should edit the source code.
But the source code should still be available as that is your art.
I have seen people who writes compilable poems and stuff like that, those could be considered art.
But as soon as it is a tool, then it cannot also be art.

lenr to configure configurations configuring gui configuration in terminal

>I want to learn
>don't feel like looking at a tutorial
Stick to Windows pal.

Why the fuck would you want to learn Linux? Do osx or Windows 10