If I download a .pdf with a virus in it, but just immediately deleted it and never opened it...

If I download a .pdf with a virus in it, but just immediately deleted it and never opened it, could it still have executed?

I-I'm asking for a friend

I really don't want to have to break out the neodymium magnets and thermite Sup Forums

>>/sqt/

Depends. Platform?

How did you know there was a virus in it?

Where the hell did you get an infected PDF?

No, a virus can be installed only if you open a file.

superior.co.nf

it will run a proper scan of your computer so you can know.

Infected PDFs work by exploiting bugs in PDF readers, such as Adobe Reader, and by injecting malicious code through buffer overflows. But if the file has never been opened, then it's just an harmless sequence of 0s and 1s lying on your HDD.

Nah, everything should be fine if you didnt opened it.

Mail attachment?

Windows, and I torrented the gentoomen library like the stupd cuck I am but realised my mistake before opening any of the files

Depends entirely on how it's launched. Usually opening it will execute the malware but it's no guarantee that just by downloading it you're not already fucked.

Dont use adobe. Use sumatra on windows.
PDF is not an executable by itself so no problem having it or opening with a safe reader.

Given the content is so old (gentoomen library is ancient) I should hope that whatever it contains wouldn't work on an up-to-date windows 10 install anyway.

>But if the file has never been opened, then it's just an harmless sequence of 0s and 1s lying on your HDD.

Yeah, because Adobe would *NEVER* make their reader program into a service that runs in the background CONSTANTLY.

I wouldn't worry about it.

skid

Joke's on you I do actually use Sumatra

But adobe reader creates thumbnails for pdf files

What's wrong with the gentoomen library?

Full of viruses and shit isn't it

You sure about that?

Really? I had no idea.

So did you open it knowing it had a virus in it?. When your AV tell you your system had been butt raped ?.

This. If the virus was created to exploit a weakness in Windows/Adobe thumbnail generation, just opening the folder the file was in with windows explorer could've been enough

Nah, viruses only affect linux OS

Windows can't get viruses now that microsoft keeps idiots from disabling updates

When are you going to start using a fucking tripcode

Avast detects at least one dodgy file.

Seems logical that it would be fulled with "surprises" to fuck over windows users.

I've been using VirusTotal to scan files that may potentially contain malware, but how reliable are the results when scanning PDF files?