Alright Sup Forums explain the install gentoo meme. Why would I install that rather than just Mint?

Alright Sup Forums explain the install gentoo meme. Why would I install that rather than just Mint?

Also if you're working at that level then why not just use arch linux?

Not really any reason to use it other than the USE flags.

Can you explain to me what the point is spending weeks configuring a machine entirely for looks? Why not use your time and learn something productive like a programming language or how to use Linux as a firewall.

I thought 'scrotwm' said 'scrotum'

I was a windows 7 user, but then windows 10 came and I updated. The telemetry was clogging my poor internet and instead of trying to disable it I just thought I would just install linux. Was looking for a change anyway

you fucking don't, that's the whole point
Gentoo turns you into a turbo autist, install a real distro like Debian, Ubuntu(or it's derivatives) or Mint

Art is fun, user.

Using Linux as a firewall involves editing a lot of config files. How is it much different from ricing?

Once you understand how programming languages and configuration files work they're not hard to work with.

Ricing your desktop isn't as hard as you think it is.

I never said ricing was hard. My post was about how wasteful of time it is. I get not every minute should be spent being productive.

only if you are using Arch, on Mint and Ubuntu I havent had to do any of that and it is as easy as using Windows

It's just fun and a bit of a time waster.

>go online to ricer foruns or dotshare or dotfile repos
>look at their setup
>find one you like
>download it
>copy in place
>ricing done or just minor edits if needed

Wew ricing is so hard and takes so much time now a days.

top kek if you think everything works that smoothly.

It doea if youre not an incompetent retard.

Dotfile repos exist for this sole reason to never have to go through long setups again. If you somehow cant manage to get then to work then you probably shouldnt be using linux to begin with.

> doesn't understand install gentoo
lurk moar

well some people actually enjoy using their computer and want it to look good. This is like showing up at a car show and complaining that the cars are painted. "Why didn't you guys just leave everything unpainted? What was the point of tinting the windows? Why did you spend time making the inside look good? You should have spent more time learning how the engine works"

This is something a literal autist would do. You are the autist.

This board is for computer enthusiasts. Why does it surprise you that people want a good custom paint job? It's probably that you are just too dumb to make your OS look good.

>showing off how leet your desktop looks
Way to go neck beard. I tend to spend my enjoyment for computers learning shit that actually matters.

That's because cars are something you take outside, around people and therefore tend to show it off. Only autistic fucks with no life try to show off their desktops off.

>being this retarded
Cuz people only paint their cars for other people to see

Are you retarded? People enjoy showing off what they've done to others. It's a big part of the satisfaction.

Lots of people are into computers.

Then I guess people buy good computers only to show off aswell huh?

Confirmed for kissless virgin

If nobody saw your car, nobody would care and no normal person would bother ricing it up.

>ricing is waste of time

I bet you also think organizing your desk at work to fit you is a waste of time too dont you? Probably coding on notepad at work because you don't want to spend time setting up a work environment thats productive for you too.

No but its certainly a big part. If you think there's no enjoyment talking about how good your computer is then fuck off I'm done responding.

You seem to be confused. Doing things for productivity is way different than ricing your terminal colors for 5 hours.

>I'm artistic

If I know nothing about C or any programming language besides Python, will I have a hard time with compilation and USE flags?

>5 hours just to change terminal colors

Its okay to admit you never used linux before user.

No, theres only a few USE flags even worth configuring if you dont know what else to do anyway. Gentoo handbook pretty much tells you what to do. Its really not as hard as people claim its.

And? No one cares if you can what your desktop looks like. I've never met a non neckbeard that gives two flying fucks about what my mint desktop looks like. What hardware? Sure.
What IDE setup? Sure.
The color of my terminal font? No.
Window tiling? No.
No one cares about the looks of your desktop.

Not being able to understand exaggerations is sign of autism.

>hurr durr im not retarded, youre just autistic

Windrones everyone

>implying I don't take my thinkpad with riced out arch linux to coffee shops and run pacman -Syu to show off

Is it only okay to be a casual user such as yourself? Are people not allowed to be enthusiastic about terminal fonts or window managers? Are people only allowed to like the things that you like?

You would still want cushions on the seats. You wouldn't want to keep trash in your car. Don't tell me you're one of those hermits that live in a trash pile?

>No one cares about the looks of your desktop.

There are threads just for showing off your desktop.

There for many forums and guides setup just to show off and tell how to rice your computer.

Every movie and tv show rices their desktop just to appeal to people.

You are flat out wrong on so many levels.

Setting something very pretty looking up is fun, because making aesthetic things is fun and so is appreciating them after you've made them.
Other people who enjoy doing this with their computers will enjoy seeing it, and you may enjoy seeing what other people do to that effect.
Noone cares that you/whoever else doesn't care.
God, I have more fun looking at the cool stuff other people've made than posting mine, but even if someone is posting their rice for validation, better they're wanting it from people with similar tastes and interests than trying to fit into whatever the fucking idea of 'normal' behind "non-neckbeards" there is.

If you aren't a ricer you don't really enjoy computers and need to get off Sup Forums.

Right sorry, no normal person with a life cares.

Can you explain why you haven't kys yet?

>look how normal and well adjusted I am
>I don't care about obscure loser crap like you
>I'm better than you
>I fit in, im normal, im cool, unlike you weird autists.
>NOONE CARES ABOUT (x)(I don't care about x, people who aren't freaks dont care about x, and im not a freak)
This shit is vastly more cancerous than even the most insufferable autists or the most oblivious normies.

Right but the color of the cushions wouldn't matter. If it does the job the way you want it, and nobody sees it, why does it matter what it looks like.

>Casual
You think changing colors, fonts, and window managers makes you elite or non-casual?
Look at me guys I riced my desktop I'm so good with computers guys

I look at my terminal all the time. I code for a living. Hardly anyone else sees my code but if I'm going to be looking at an editor and terminal for eight hours a day for the next few decades I want it to look good.

Aesthetics do matter because they create feng shui, which helps boost productivity for everyone who isn't a literal autistic fuck.

Go on bavk to reddit then normie.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Doing something for productivity is way different than ricing for no reason. I have custom color codes for my IDE because it's what pops out to me and makes me work better. I don't spend hours configuring meaningless bullshit though

How is ricing a desktop any different than configuring a server though? It's all editing config files.

"Look at me guys, I configured ubuntu to serve a web site but I edit configs so rarely it feels like a chore so I hate everyone who rices their desktop. Bu.. but I'm good with computers because I don't edit certain config files!"

I rice my desktop *and* get paid to program. I can do both. People who see editing a few config files as a waste of time are idiots.

What meaningless bullshit do people spend hours configuring?

>IDE
Ah, so you aren't even a real programmer.

Takes a whole 5 minutes to customize terminal colors and thats by yourself. Most people simply go online and download terminal color sets with pic reference.

Your argument is once again invalid and this is only a one time deal that lasts forever.

NO FUN ALLOWED
AESTHETICS ARE MEANINGLESS AND WORTHLESS
DOMAIN OF WEAKMINDED UNDERMEN
THEY DO NOT INCREASE PRODUCTIVITY
BEEP BOOP

>install gentoo meme
thats all it is. and please dont install mint. then you will turn into a dank meme

Window users hate linux ricers because their OS is so shit that ricing requires tons of third party software just to even begin and its still limited and shitty.

Haters gonna hate

My eyes are bleeding

>gotta find the spot at starbucks where people walking in can see my desktop

>Not a programmer
Say what you want but it's easy money.

This looks painful on the eyes, nigga.

>implying this isn't what literally every developer using default visual studio does

"Look I'm using the codes I'm a haxor!!1"

Because people only change terminal colors and nothing else.

It's fine if you work in a well lit room. I like the contrast.

t. Windows user

Most of the apps in OPs pic are running in a terminal... so yeah.

You need to improve your reading comprehension.

Wew downloading an emacs or vim color scheme and adding it to the init file is so hard.

Dotfiles are so hard to download too, i almost broke my system copying them into the right place.