en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts's_law?wprov=sfla1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

nowhere

Left side dumb ass.

bot, it's easier to manage windows.

>2016
>using a task bar when keyboard shortcut exists
Pleb

Prefer top, but using bottom right now because I have two monitors arranged vertically, and on the top of the bottom monitor doesn't make sense and on the top of the top one is too high.

Depends on your monitor's ration

> 16:9
On the left

> 16:10
Bottom

Wide screen?
Left side.

Bottom. Anything else looks full retard.

Left

Right
(I'm colombian btw)

On the right.

On the bottom on my sides monitors and on the top of my middle one

wouldnt it be the other way around?

on both diagonals

Nice

File/Contextual menus belong at the top.

Window management bars belong on the bottom, so as not to conflict with window snapping.

Tasks and important processes/widgets belong on the corners.

If you must do anything else, put it on the left (unless you're Japanese, then put it on the right).

bottom/left/right=degeneracy

Task bar down (or on sides depending on the screen), as in your programs and open windows should be there. Status bar should always be up, as in date/time, network options, sound and whatever you need that isn't an "app".

>taskbar

Windows: bottom
Linux: depends on the WM

Top is best if you're using a tiling WM

I like it on top even in windows, because all the programs have their titlebars and menue stuff on top too.
So, all the tools and system stuff is on top, everything else from then down is uninterrupted content.
I don't at all like having two panels, one on top one on bottom either.

I have started to prefer top.
I put a "close window" widget in the topright corner and the bar should be able to close windows with a middleclick.
Then I make windows that are fullscreen drop the decoration.
This means that windows can be closed from either middleclick at the top of the screen (like tabs in a browser) or by throwing the mouse in the top right corner.
I like it this way

In the middle, to minimize average mouse travel distance.

Global menu bar belongs at the top.

MODS!!!!

devious

no

This is a great idea, at least when you use multiple windows. 7/7, would use.

hidden at the top

Top, cuz I'm a pussy

Both

Why the fuck should we care?

Problem with a status bar up top. is it would ether be clipped out by a program or just have a strange space eating bar up top. making programs look smashed together between a status bar and a taskbar.

Might as well just have a single taskbar and be done with it.

This user knows his shit.

Most of the population uses it at bottom so I have to say top.

Top-right corner is the only correct answer.

GNOME Style with Dash to Dock

Wherever you're most comfortable with it.

bottom
i literally cant conceive of it being anywhere else, its like driving on the left

In the middle of the screen.

Just fucking convert to Haiku already grandpa.

For 4:3 or similar "square" monitors - bottom, this way you don't have to aim your mouse when interacting with window buttons, plus window title bar glued to the taskbar looks damn ugly. For widescreen left side is the only choice. Or right side if you're a jew.

Top. Stays out of the way and gives you more space.

Top. It makes more sense since the "start" menu and other drop-down menus drop DOWN like all other drop-down menus, rather than rise up from a bottom bar.

Bottom although I can deal with top. Left I just despise even though it makes sense from a space management perspective.

Bottom is the best.
your monitor can get bigger and bigger but the bottom will always be typically at a 15 degree angle from your eye level

Are you a manlet or you just like to be sitting for hours with your head pointing upwards? The top of my monitor is exactly on my eye level and I'm pretty sure everyone reasonable set it up this way too.

Top seeing as it's closest to the window controls. Left is pointless, it looks ugly and my taskbar takes up about 15 pixels in height and moving it only gets me one extra 13pt line of text on screen.

>nowhere
>using a task bar when keyboard shortcut exists
This is the correct answer.

It's been so long, I don't even recall why people use status/task bars.

Bottom unless you're a macfag.
Next.

This is objectively the best answer.

Here is proof.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts's_law?wprov=sfla1

>Where does the status/task bar belong?
wherever the fuck i want it to be

i enjoy my computer having functionality

>Thin status bar eg: Gnome/OSX
>Chunky task bar/dock eg:Windows/OSX/Ubuntu/KDE icon version
Right
>Thin task bar eg:Cinnamon/KDE
Bottom

Depends honestly. Sometimes bottom sometimes top sometimes left

Side with autohide

Screen space > vertical screen space > horizontal screen space

left, hidden

>not being quadrant masterrace

AND

BOTTOM

>mfw gnome 3

Why not?
(I'm black btw)

>left
>right
>single monitor plebs detected

How else can I quickly check that my VPN is connected?

BOTH

on top goes the status bar, on bottom or side goes Dock

Top. If your panel and window titles are both on top then you aren't missing space on both sides. Just the top.

On the other hand, I also tend to disable window titles.

I used bottom when I was still falling for the Window meme, but I think seeing #! have tint2 on the top is what first converted me.

Left side, strong side. Although bottom at work where I use three monitors.

I've got two monitors and keep a panel at the top of my right monitor. None on the left. I could have one on the left, but keeping no panel on the left means borderless windows look fullscreen on that monitor. Great for games that try to take over both monitors in real fullscreen.

most of the population sticks with all default settings and is resistant to change

bottom

yes

maybe

Bottom. I can't stand taskbar at top. It makes me neurotic and claustrophobic. I had OS X in previous workplace and got frequent panic attacks. It is inhumane. It is so suffocating and oppressive, it feels like it weights down and doesn't let me think. It is just insane.

Tried Ubuntu mate, immediately had the drive to try the debian installation again.
Glad it worked this time, cause mate was just annoying.