The i4790-K has a max turbo-mode clock of 4.4 Ghz

The i4790-K has a max turbo-mode clock of 4.4 Ghz.

On air cooling, even with a high-end tower cooler, the highest you can reliably OC it to without having constant temps over 90C is around 4.5 Ghz.

So is it even worth overclocking the i7-4790k on air at all? Or am I better off just leaving it alone for guaranteed stability and low temps? It seems like pushing the clock over 44 doesn't really give much of a return for the temp increase.

>as109
wew lad

Weeb

"on air" are you using the stock cooler or?? I'm @ 4.3 with 4770k on water - that's 400mhz over stock turbo

Sakuya a shit.

Honestly your fine with boost clock.

The highest clock I got was 4.8Ghz, and this was really stepping up my cache voltage and core voltage (>1.3V). With water cooling I could still hit thermal throttling (H100i Corsair closed loop water cooler). The issue is the coolers contact/chip's own TIM. I'm at 95C on my dye, but the water in my loop is at 45C.

TL;DR You are fine with turbo-boost. The gains are very minor even if you work your ass off.

What kind of cooler are you using? you could try the delidding meme since devils canyon has shit TIM
kill yourself

the fucking TIM life - I wonder who could be behind ((this))

I'm not using the stock cooler, no. I'm using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.

>I'm @ 4.3 with 4770k on water - that's 400mhz over stock turbo

So if I'm understanding this right, bumping the clock ratio up from 40 to 43, thus setting the non-Turbo clock to 4.3 Ghz, also increases the Turbo clock by the same amount? So an OC under 4.4 non-turbo actually DOES do something when turbo mode is engaged?

>TL;DR You are fine with turbo-boost. The gains are very minor even if you work your ass off.

Yeah, that's what I figured.

I've heard about delidding, is it really worth doing or is it just another annoying thing that yields very minor gains? Am I just going to destroy my CPU or what?

Also, I heard Devil's Canyon actually improved on Haswell's TIM, I shudder to imagine what Haswell OCing must've been like.

the turbo thing goes away when you overclock... you are essential binding the freq to a single value. the whole dynamic clocking thing is a meme for desktop applications anyway. Sounds like the 212 isn't your problem. how legit is your case fan config (pics)?

DO NOT delid if the cpu isn't disposable in your mind. especially for as an amateur you could easily fuck it irreparably.

>how legit is your case fan config
It's alright but it could be better. I have pic related, Corsair Obsidian 750D. It comes with three 140mm fans, two in the front one in the back. I could potentially mount two more such fans on the top and two 120mm fans on the bottom if I wanted to, but as of right now I'm not.

There's also the fact that my room temperature is pretty high. The computer already throws off a lot of heat which seems to really warm my room especially in the summer when I can't just open a window to cool down. Plus my room's insulation is kind of shit, so that doesn't help.

On stock settings I idle around 40C, to give you an idea of my baseline here. Not sure if that's high or low for this setup, considering I also have two graphics cards.

Also I set my case fan speeds in my BIOS to be max speed at all times, they're pretty silent so there's no downside for me, the CPU fan is what makes all the noise. It seems to me like the case airflow is probably pretty good.

You're a shit

Anime website

is the back fan setup so you are push/pull on the cpu? if not than do that - people often seem to fuck up by mounting there cpu fan 90 degrees to the existing case fan.

if you want to add more fans then I recommend the bitfenix (sp?) ones that move 122cfm and cost like 14 bucks. silent/quiet fans are a meme - you want airflow. also dont even bother with bottom fans they hardly do anything and pick up alot of dust..

you might be better off to put one of the front fans in the top right by the CPU while keeping the one that blows on the GPU.

This is a blue board

i have the 4790k but never bothered to oc it since i have a crappy mobo

intel does it on purpose to sell 999 usd cpus 2bh

Wtf how do you guys have such shit CPUs my 4790k hits 4.8 at 1.35v and never goes over 70c even after hours of gaming.

And what temps are you getting in stress tests? What kind of cooling system do you have and how cool is the room temp?

I have a kraken x61 and doing the full prime 95 it hits 100c instantly but during real world testing it doesn't pass 70

I don't have water cooling so that explains why your temps are better. However the 90C temp I stated in the OP was from Prime95, not during gaming. It was my understanding that one should shoot for temps under 100 in benchmarks so that in real usage the temps never come close to that.

When I was ocing what I read said that haswell/devils canyon dies when full cache is used no matter what and not to worry about it.

keep it 100 - lmfao @ those temps

I'm this user and I hit 88-90 in p95 at the 7 minute mark - game for hours np. at stock clocks it still hit 83 so idgaf.

>i5 2400 runs cool as fuck in my 26°C sauna of a room

I'm gonna upgrade to a 6600k soon, hope it'll stay kinda cool as well