So my friend is trying to convince me that he needs 64gb of DDR4 for is computer because he literally never closes tabs...

so my friend is trying to convince me that he needs 64gb of DDR4 for is computer because he literally never closes tabs (as evident by these 134 tabs). his system has an i3-6100 and r9 390 and 16 gigs i think, i keep telling him he's retarded and he seems to think otherwise

any advice?

16gb of ram is plenty for tab hoarding. What he would benefit from is a better processor. Two cores is pitiful. Also he could change his browsing habits. Bookmarks exist for a reason, use them.

he'd say kill yourself, he'd rather get two 32gig sticks and call it a day
which he says getting individual sticks as opposed to a kit will be 100% ok, which i told him he's retarded for

It will be okay. Ideally the timings should be the same for the best performance and latency, but even if they aren't the other stick will slow down to match. Your friend is a computer illiterate retard.

he claims to be working on associate degrees in
>networking
>network security
>Development
he also claims to have certifications in A+, Microsoft, and Cisco. though he's never brought these up until now

>Total: 4068 tabs

Same

>any advice?
get better friends

Hey, his money, let'm waste it over a dumb habit.

Ah, a Microsoft monkey, no wonder he's this dumb.

>
>he claims to be working on associate degrees in
>>networking
>>network security
>>Development
>he also claims to have certifications in A+, Microsoft, and Cisco. though he's never brought these up until now

And he purchased an entry level i3. Hmm... I smell a noob...

>I got an i3 because that's all ill need
he actually told me that

He doesn't need anything more than a fucking Q6600 for browsing the internet even with 1000 tabs open.

You must be a noscript user.

how can anyone possibly be so stupid that they don't know how to bookmark a url?

ask him and he'd probably give you bullshit about how he """""""might"""""" need to come back to that

If you just rely on the OS to page unused memory, 16 GB sould be enough. Unless you decide to hold down Ctrl+Tab for several seconds straight. That might suck.

this disgusts me already

two things though to mention

first is i have a build with g3258, 16gb ddr3, r7 250, and cx430m psu. I don't feel bad about skimping out on the CPU and GPU because i needed something to use, and I can front the money for a broadwell i5 and nvidia card later on. I don't see anything wrong with using an i3 as a temporary part.

2nd, are you using some kind of macro or something that pastes a series of """""""""?
this is the third time i've seen posts like that, i think i also saw you in a thread where some faggot was whining about tek syndicate.

You'd be a fool not to.

this, i don't get why so many people shit on it.
its like they've forgotten what the unfiltered web is like. if anyone should need a reminder, go visit a popular website with vanilla internet explorer, its fucking horrible.

anyways, i don't understand why people don't just have one really locked down browser profile for personal use, and one for when you need to be identifiable(email, bank, ebay)

Let him get it and then laugh at him, what's in it for you? Not your money - not your problem.

poop in his eyes when he is sleeping and pee in his ears when he is eating

not trying to be demeaning or anything of that sort when i ask this, but does he have OCD tendencies or anything of that sort?

i am trying to understand how someone would look at this and think its okay, and it just isn't possible to me, i cannot understand it. if i am of sound mind, then this moron clearly isn't.

Tab hoarders are worse than IRL hoarders.

no im not using a macro, i just guess how many " to use
hes just...special
we think hes some sort of nuts

How much ram is being used in the op?

That's the important question here.

16gb of ddr4 i think

this.

I mean actively by the tabs open in the op pic

idfk, he'd probably say its like 13gigs but i have like 80 open plus BF4 and im barely over 11 gigs

Id say about three fiddy

I don't understand why people need that many tabs open

i told him he has bad computer usage habits

what is his excuse for leaving the tabs open?

he's not given me one

Tell him to change to Firefox with a TabTree expansion. Firefox doesn't load all tabs at the startup so he will be able to have them in the background and TabTree will make them more manageable.

why would I ever close tabs individually if I can leave them open for later?

seems stupid not to leave all tabs open

never seen grown men gossip like this

no, don't tell him anything

if he can't already see what is wrong with this, then he likely never will

if thats you Tim fuck off, youre retarded
i mean i might as well leave it, or rub it in his face once or twice that im right

What's wrong with having many tabs?

everything
its so messy

With the treetab expansion it isn't messy at all. But thats a Firefox exclusive.

He is retarded for having in chrome though

If he's going to change motherboards in the next 4 years, maxing out RAM might be dumb. Something will eventually require 64GB down the line though.

>derstand how someone would look at this and think its okay, and it just isn't possible to me, i c

Actually, I feel like his friend. I'm an hardcore Internet user.

>/fit/ Sup Forums Sup Forums and /biz/ are always open
>two taps of stock market
>about ten tabs of Youtube (mostly tutorials, music or conferences)
>Some Web API
>One google search
>University Email and personal emails
>shitload of academic research.

I used to have in excess of 600 open tabs on a P4 with 3GiB of RAM. So yes, thinking that 64GiB is needed for 134+ tabs indeed seems retarded.

honestly am i the only person who doesn't give a shit what my friends do with their computers?

like sure i wouldn't buy 64GB of RAM for tabbed browsing, but i also wouldn't respond with more than a shrug if someone told me they did. what do i care? were they going to give me $1000 minus whatever they spent on RAM? does this somehow matter to me in any tangible way?

if he's happy with 64GB of RAM, then just let him be happy. you don't have to be right all the time. just be happy.

Since your friend is using chrome you can type
>chrome://flags
And find the option that disables the tabs in the background when not being used, and when he clicks on that tab it will be reloaded again from the internet. This has been a hidden feature in chrome for a while and your friend will be find with 16gb of ram unless hes just trying to fill his mobo slots and waste money.

literally what the fuck was that?

The WebM or the URL I posted?

sorry, the webm. i really hope people aren't blown away by chrome://flags (although i feel like someone like the OP with his choice of friends might be)