I spilt a beer on my Lenovo T410. It-s been drying out for 10 hours for now. When the spill happened...

I spilt a beer on my Lenovo T410. It-s been drying out for 10 hours for now. When the spill happened, I immediately pulled the plug, plugged out everything out of USB. I didn't manage however to pull the battery out before it turned itself off. Is the motherboard toasted. Is there any chance for it to run anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d7cvi00OZDM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Did have these Devices holes for liquid to flow through? Did you opened it? Have you removed the Keyboard and looked underneath?

I spilled hot coffee all over my t530 the other day.

I actually left it on for a bit while I cleaned up the spill area around the laptop. I should not have done that.

The drain holes actually worked really well, but I lifted it up to get some of the coffee underneath and the laptop freaked out, went into airplane mode, and told me it was crashing (the lenovo software on windows). It said it detected a power problem, so I assume some coffee reached the battery.

I immediately powered it off and removed the battery.

Then I cleaned it as much as I could, and used a blow dryer to try and evaporate a lot of the coffee.

I then disassembled it and manually dried what I could in each of the bays, under the keyboard, and the bottom ram slot opening.

I didn't bother disassembling the top around the panel, because no coffee went there.

After blowdrying for a while and letting it air out and getting what I could with paper towels and tissues, I reassembled it.

It actually works totally fine now other than some coffee stains on the keyboard backlights. It did smell like coffee for a few weeks though.

Yes they do, I flipped it upside down after I pulled battery out and all the beer got out. I didn't have any conditions and tools to disassemble it, but I will have access to tools in 40 minutes

your thinkpad should be working fine.
just give it some time to sober up

How long should it dry out before powering it back on?

I pushed the button immediately after

don't do this,

put the whole thing in a sealed container with some rice or dessicant and let it dry for at least 24 hours

if you see some coffee residue on the motherboard, clean it with isopropyl alcohol and q-tips

also don't use a blowdryer on hot setting, someone posted a pic the other day of a melted TP keyboard

I have put the entire laptop into a sealed container with oatmeal (dont have rice)

I tried turning it on and the lights came on then turned off quickly

have you taken the motherboard out? it's pretty easy to do, will take about 1 hour and some patience

You shouldn't try turning it on again until you are very confident there is no liquid inside of it anymore.

Also, you should not turn it on with the battery in. Just try it with only AC power at first.

after you do this, clean the motherboard with isopropyl.

i have to make dinner now, hopefully another user or someone on the /tpg/ thread can help you out

good luck user

Probably dead
>drainage holes
they don't do shit captain. look up the flow rates they're rated for. they're abysmally low, lower than any normal spill. there's a reason all the demos of that "feature" have someone gently, smoothly pouring a slow stream of water onto the device

Take it completely apart, rinse it with pure water or isopropyl and microfibre cloths, dry it out, and put it back together.

The crap that is in the beer will corrode it over time if you don't clean it off.
You can use water if you take all the batteries out because it won't short circuit if there's nothing powering it.

They're more like splash resistance than anything else. A small amount of liquid spilled over the entire keyboard will leak out slowly.

Can i still clean it off after 10h?

Yeah, just make sure you take out all the batteries (including the CMOS) and hold the power button for about 10s to drain the capacitors.
You definitely want to use Isopropyl if you can get a large volume of it, but water should be OK for cleaning the PCBs as long as you can dry it out thoroughly.

And how long should it stay before i can safely turn it back on?

Depends on where you are. How hot it is and the humidity.
For water, I'd leave it for at least a day in a warm, dry place.
Isopropyl is pretty safe to reassemble after 5min. Try and find 99% isopropyl! You don't want to fuck this up.

Also, if you really want to use water, use filtered bottled water, not tap water.

Don't forget the CMOS battery.
Then there's the job of getting all that sugar out.

So if I try to turn it back on too quickly it can short out and not turn back anymore? Or will it just not start and put it back for drying out once again?

If you turn in on with water on it, the water could short circuit it.
Isopropyl isn't very conductive, so it's not as much of an issue.

The reason you use pure water is because it's actually not very conductive. The more shit that water has in it, particularly salts, but anything ionic, the more conductive it is.

My cat urinated on my laptop once. I still have that laptop and it works.

>put the whole thing in a sealed container with some rice or dessicant
This is stupid advice, this shit just accelerates corrosion. If you want your shit to survive, disassemble it ASAP and clean off the spill.

Get some rubbing alcohol and clean off the board in case there is any corrosion beginning to appear. Take it somewhere that can do it if you're not comfortable. It's happened to me before, everything turned out okay.

>I flipped it upside down
There's your fuckup. You're supposed to let it drain right-side-up. Now the beer that was in the grooves meant to drain down just splashed all over the MOBO and shit. Nice going.

That's a very elaborate story for the cum stains on your laptop.
You looking to sell it soon or something?

That's a very weird obsession you have with my jizz stains, user.

Sorry, it's not for sale. You are going to have to look for someone else's crusty cum.

>some coffee residue on the motherboard
learning new stuff every day, beer transforms into coffee when dripping on a motherboard

>You are going to have to look for someone else's crusty cum.

i've got some I'm willing to part with for the lump sum of a 16GB meme.

bottled/filtered water is just as conductive as tap water. You probably meant distilled water

Spilled water on my x201 a few days ago. I pulled the battery and took off the keyboard and palmrest/trackpad, then hair dryed the top of the mobo. Then let it sit for a day. Works fine now besides a super tiny part on the bottom of the screen that has a little bit of moisture that makes the screen brighter.

well, power it on and test it out

your laptop won't die because of water shorting circuits, it's not happening. it's always because PCB gets damaged with long-term effects of water or because solder gets fucked up.

Disassemble it, then take hair dryer and dry mobo/other internals. If something looks sticky, clean it with alcohol. It will be fine.

No it doesn't, the rice is for the chinese people that come at night to fix the device...
Also, OP do what the other people said, leave it in a container with either rice or sillica gel packets to absorb the moisture as much as possible. Make sure before you turn it back on that there's no more liquid.

Need to take it apart and clean all the leftover beer once it dried, try using diluted isopropyl. The sugar in the beer will eventually glue up from the heat and crystalize and then start conducting current around and then your laptop is ded

> Is the motherboard toasted
Shouldn't be.
youtube.com/watch?v=d7cvi00OZDM