What mathematics do I need to know before starting computer science?

What mathematics do I need to know before starting computer science?

Other urls found in this thread:

vex.net/~trebla/haskell/prerequisite.xhtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

counting, addition, etc

Anything simpler I can start with?

Not strictly related to CS, but your question strongly reminded me of this article which I think is well worth a read

vex.net/~trebla/haskell/prerequisite.xhtml

can you make a logo?

Why are Haskell users so pretentious?

i think counting is the simplest desu

I'd say boolean logic and some simple discrete math (with basic knowledge in some algebra) should set you straight. If you need to know any calculus for a CS course, the Uni should have you on track for some type of calc 101 or derivatives course.

Discrete maths (esp combinatorics(gay))
Number theory (cool)
Linear Algebra (awesome)
Probability (pretty cool)
Theory of Computation (cool)
Also some sums, series, and limits

If you are going to college, they will make sure you take the courses you need. Endgame you will probably end up taking calc II, discrete math, and maybe a logic course. Algorithms and Data Structures are both really algebra heavy, but the most deep cut you will get is an infinite series that reduces to a well-known number (like 1, e, or -once I got one that reduced to the golden ratio), but most of the time the professor will just say what it reduces to and that you should remember the series in case you come across it again. I cannot remember ever taking a derivative or integral in any of my actual CS courses for any actual reason.

How much gun powder it will take to propel a small bit of metal through your skull

Joke post? You don't need math for programming.

>Linear Algebra (awesome)
jokes on you I have no idea how I passed linear algebra we went from "how to make a bonfire" to "alien technology from the year 3 million AD"

How long would it take someone to get through all this?

Game Design & CS major here; all these courses usually get done within a 3-4 year period. CS programs usually try to convince you to take a 4-5 year program to get your masters, which is honestly the best option for the modern day; if you can shill out the cash.

Depends heavily on the niche you want to get into. Webdevs mostly need to know fuck besides basic math. Systems programming can go deep into advanced linear and number theory. There are huge fields in between.

Figure out approximately where you want to end up, get the minimum math you need and then focus on you programming basics. Data structures and algorithms, best practices, tools, etc.

NO!

Assuming you're pretty good at maths you could develop a decent understanding of the main theorems/results/facts of all of them

Elementary school math is all you need to get into CS. The most advanced thing I've done is program a bunch of linear algebra problem solvers, but that's it.
I'm sure there's harder branches of CS that require harder math knowledge, but I don't need it for what I'm doing.

Analytic number theory and formal graph grammars are a must.

A year.

Basic arithmetic in base 2,4,8,16 and conversion to/from decimal.