Why do people prefer Ubuntu over Win10?

Why do people prefer Ubuntu over Win10?
Some of the arguments I find online are: It's free, you can play free games (ha), it's faster, more stable, etc...
I've tried it many times but I never get it. There are a lot of programs I can not run: videogames, foobar2000, CCleaner, a proper Skype etc..
And I always get some bugs: This time I can't adjust the mouse sensitivity (the option is not there) and I have a wierd vsync error (sometimes I see the mismatched horizontal lines).
I just don't get it. I'm not a troll, I know I'm a "noob" but I'm curious and I am willing to learn.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mouse_acceleration
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'd use Linux but I need software that's only on Windows for work and games.

Please tell me why you would use Linux

People prefer Ubuntu over Win10 for various reasons, each unique to the individual. For most people, I would imagine it comes from a desire to learn about the GNU/Linux operating system, but still maintaining most of the ease-of-use of Windows.

>There are a lot of programs I can not run
That's because these are Windows applications. Likewise, Windows cannot run .deb applications.

Other reasons someone may use Ubuntu: concern about Windows 10 spying, customizing their desktop experience, a more powerful terminal.

>video games
virtualization software of choice + PCI-E passthrough
>foobar2k
gpmdp
>CCleaner
bleachbit
>Skype
Microsoft just released a new version of Skype for Linux. Works fine for me.

Faster and easier to use, sexy font rendering, better scaling, lighter, respects my FREEDOM way more than my Windows 10.

Why the fuck do you think you even need to run CCleaner on Linux, it's a program made for goddamn Windows since it bloats itself like fat fucking American..

and I have Logitech gaymen mouse and my mouse DPI is easy to adjust.

You don't need CCleaner on Linux.
Use mpd + ncmpcpp, it's better than foobar.
Discord is the better botnet than Skype anyways.
Videogames are definitely more Windows, but hopefully that will change soon.
Disabling Mouse acceleration (and adjusting mouse sensitivity) is best done my making certain config files in /etc/xorg.conf.d
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mouse_acceleration
The GUI is rather limited. Although I don't know if you'd run into potential breakage in Ubuntu due to how they have stuff configured (whereas in Arch you can change these things with no breakage).
There is probably some other GUI config that is better than the native stuff too.

I want to learn how to use the terminal. But is that really useful? I mean, all that sudo apt-get install just to install something you could type in the menu.
Can you recommend me any guide or something to start working on the terminal?

Also it tends to have issue(s) with latest customer PC hardware. It being Linux. I'm sure if I was smart and individual with great knowledge of coding and Linux operating systems I could fix them but hey I am not and I don't have the time.

I'm

How many clicks do you imagine it would take to install a program in Windows? You need to search for it on Google, be certain it is not malware, click through the installer while avoiding adware, and then install missing .dlls.

In Ubuntu, you can ctrl + alt + t, and type "sudo apt-get install thunderbird" and press y.

Learning terminal commands is going to be useful if you ever work in a Unix-like environment, but I don't think most users on Sup Forums ever will, so learning this system is only useful to you if you're going to continue using this system.

Terminal is godsend like goddamn every program updated by just one fucking string of words

So beautiful

t. currently using W10

>Its free, you can play free games
You obviously dont understand what the GNU&Linux definition of free is. Not free as in free beer m8, free as in freedom. The reason Linux is taking off is because the proprietary format of Windows worked at first, then has obviously started to fail past win 7. After win 8, 8.1 and 10 half the machine on the internet still use win 7. But why?
From in the past 4-5 years with ubuntu, its support and customization. You also have to actually learn how the system works, not a plug and play like windows. The Linux community is what drives the innovation and support for current and future systems not some business wanting you to BUY their shit and other shit and buy spyware and antivirus.

Theres also a constant GNU&Linux thread on here that will be more than happy to help you through it.

I couldn't get Ubuntu to install with my motherboard, it was quite new. Just wouldn't work with UEFI and when I installed it in Legacy Mode (or whatever it is called) the start up speed of the OS was cripple tier.

Wow thank you guys for the info.
Is that google music program really good? I never heard of it.
Another thing. With windows I know where my files and software are (installed). In Ubuntu I don't really know what all those "root" and "home" folders are. I mean, I have 2 discs (1 hdd with windows and a partition for music and films) and the ssd where I have Ubuntu. I don't know where exactly Ubuntu is installed nor the programs in it.

Videogames is better on windows, so alot of people who use linux use windows when they want to play a game that doesnt run on it.
Otherwise, its a different bloody operating system. You use different programs on it. Even if you can use a windows program on linux, might be a linux program that'd be better if you're using that OS.
I could use MPC-HC in wine, but that would be retarded, you should just use vlc, or an infographic told me bomi is good, or something.

Anyawys, I use ubuntu because I dont want to be fucking spied on. Its not alright because it hides from you or doesnt stop your programs or something. Windows 7 is also alright in this respect, but you wont be able to use it forever, it'll go the way of XP sooner or later. Its already old. so, its good to just start using a modern OS thats not fucking evil now.

If you want a program that you can make superficially look like foobar deadbeef works for that, mostly. For my foobar config it did. There are a bunch of other gui music player you can just find easily if you search, if you dont want to figure out the CLI player stuff people are reccomending

>W10 spies on me
Just pirate the Enterprise if you are tinfoil maximus.

mean while your Skylake spies on you using Ubuntu so~~
or AMD equivalent

>OS is provably, unarguably spying on its users
>lol paranoid tinfoiler why do you even care?
Kill yourself.
You're still forced to update eventually on enterprise, and its pretty microsoft wants to go in a bad direction with it. When modern games stop supporting win7, if they're not all available on linux, Ill make an 8.1 install.

A few things to consider:
1). How often are you at the command line
2). What do you use your computer for
3). How much do you like computers

>unarguably spying on its users
I have still to detect this in my Enterprise even after monitoring it with a Wireshark and MikroTik server router though. Monitored it once for 12 hours and saw nothing suspicious myself.

There's some upload during updates but I assume it's just some update data, but obviously Sup Forums, the board that legitimately thought for 6 months that you need new license for Windows if you change motherboard, thinks it spies on you by taking your VISA information and filenames and image previews etc. during the 4.6kb/s upload.

I mean it 99% sure is riddled with NSA backdoor but that's at hardware level.

thats cute considering ubuntu phones home all the time.

oops

Personally, I just find Linux more responsive and quicker. I'm typing this on a Win10 machine, which I've had for about a month. If it weren't for all the spyware shit, I would use it for more than the few things my work requires me to do through their shitty VPN.

Stupidly enough, yes, they want me to only use a win machine for their connection software.

>I don't know where exactly Ubuntu is installed nor the programs in it.

The root folder is just the highest directory, pic related. Your home directory is within the root directory at /home/ and is basically like your C:\Users\ in Windows.

That's amazing image thank you

Im aware its not such a thing for the enterprise version, and I'd agree some small upload during updates is almost certainly just update data and maybe basic diagnostic stuff.
I still want to avoid using even that if at all possible, since they still force updates to my understanding, and just out of not wanting to offer it any support. I cant see anything that would benefit me about using it, even if it was enterprise edition, compared to say, Loonuks+8.1 for games.

Thanks!

Does any one here uses placebo headphones that require an amplifier?

Have you had any problem using that amp with Linux or it just works?

this was something that was kinda hard to get used to for me. I never actually use my user folder on windows. My C: has folders titled 'アニメ', 'text documents', 'music' and others in it.

>My C: has folders titled 'アニメ', 'text documents', 'music' and others in it.
Are you using a pre-Vista Windows?

nope, 7.

People don't prefer Windows 10. If they did Ubuntu would have a greater market share.

Yeah and I'd like to switch to Linux but it had some issues with latest hardware when I tried and I still need Windows software for work

posting from gf's laptop. Just noticed she has windows 10 installed. there is no windows.old folder and no option to roll back to 8.1

she is telling me she did the upgrade install, so these options should be there but they arent. where do i go from here??

Install Linux.

That's because it is enterprise you dum

customization desu senpai
command line is p cozy too