Laptop with 37 GB space, 11.2 GB free

>laptop with 37 GB space, 11.2 GB free
>delete 3.5 GB of files
>free space goes from 11.2 GB to 13.1 GB
What the fuck is going on?

have you checked your recycle bin? :^)

Might be something to do with pagefile

I always immediately empty my recycle bin if I'm deleting something.

>not using shift+del

I think there is a strange update in windows which do strange things with duplicate files.
Or your disk is broken OP. Did you check it?

I've been known to accidentally delete the wrong files before so I need that little bit of foolproof to keep me from doing something really stupid.

install...

Maybe you have file compression on and you deleted compressed files. Check in properties for 'size on disk'

ur a feg lol

Gentoo

external drive

What kind of poorfag laptop has only 37 gigs of storage?

It is probably due to the Windows system restore using the new free space as much as it can. See pic related.

it's windows that keeps the files until they have been upload to nsa servers

a neo-laptop

You are supposed to store your data cloud-side, user. Remember, it's $currentyear. Meanwhile, be happy that at least your OS is still local (probably not for all that much longer though). Storage devices becoming unavailable for purchase unless you are an enterprise customer is a real prospect.

why even have a recycle bin in the first place.
You can change it so that it gets deleted right away instead.

As safety net

On the odd occasion of inadvertently deleting something important you can use an undelete utility.

Dubs of truth. Sad truth, but truth nevertheless. Oh well. Let's enjoy our local storage capabilities while they last.

Make a recovery drive then remove the recovery partition, shit takes up heaps of storage.

Next decade's kids will be carefully conditioned to consider local storage as something completely unnecessary and ancient, even bothersome, and will laugh at and ridicule it as well as anyone missing it, just as the "kids react to xyz" videos have taught us.