Want to make my own NAS, I'm thinking

Want to make my own NAS, I'm thinking
odroid.co.uk/odroid-c1-plus-motherboard will work.

What PSU should I get for 4 bays?
Are there any noob or buyer's guides?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-ITX-M2-Power-Supply-PSU-Car-PC-150w-8v-24v-/302050109990?hash=item465396ea26:g:Z1EAAOSwl8NVYb0b
ebay.co.uk/itm/182254425705
odroid.co.uk/hardkernel-odroid-xu4/odroid-xu4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

do I just need a 5V/2A Power Supply?

>What PSU should I get for 4 bays?
go off 30W per hdd, they will use much less when in use/idling, but they can draw around that much when spinning up
that's probably enough for the odroid, but no hdd's
just use an ITX/ATX computer psu, you can power the odroid directly off of it as well

Never bought a PSU like this, is this the type of one I need?

ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-ITX-M2-Power-Supply-PSU-Car-PC-150w-8v-24v-/302050109990?hash=item465396ea26:g:Z1EAAOSwl8NVYb0b

>no SATA
Are you building a shark NAS?

well that's for use in a car, presumably you'd want a mains psu

they're called sfx psu's, they're designed for itx cases, which are smaller than common atx cases

ebay.co.uk/itm/182254425705

just buy a drobo

>ebay.co.uk/itm/182254425705
Thanks a lot, makes much more sense.

Would that Odroid be able to stream at 1080? How about emulation?

Would a XU4 be the better choice?

>shark NAS
Presumed I could just use the USB

get something with at least a usb3 or sata port, and gigabit ethernet
using fast ethernet or usb2 will limit your throughput severely

any suggestions?

the XU4 has 3.0 and gigabit ethernet

odroid.co.uk/hardkernel-odroid-xu4/odroid-xu4

Just buy a prebuilt, it will prevent all the headaches

Sorry for using your thread OP but it's kinda related.

I have an old ass EEE serving a few things, including file sharing (for media and stuff), but I want to add 2 or 3 old SATA disks to it. What's the best method? A USB dock?

Whats the cheapest thing which is 4 bays supporting up to 12tb

probably. it will work. make make sure the drives are formatted properly and mount properly on boot.

I also use an eeepc (fucking love this little thing) and a sata dock for internal drives. It works fine, it would have been nicer if my netbook had usb 3 but it works well enough for streaming media from the drives through usb2

I'm using a 2 slot 2.5/3.5" combo dock from a brand called Sabrent, although I would think just about any brand would work fine

I'd spend £250 on a NAS that could support 12 TB, that mobo is £80, PSU is £20, usb Sata are cheap. I already have a case & drive holders holders so it would be half price.

Thanks bros, that's what I wanted to hear. It's just for streaming music and 1080p video, so I guess the USB 2.0 interface will be enough. The ethernet port is only 100Mb/s anyway...

>(fucking love this little thing)
Right? That little shit was useless as a portable PC but as a server it's serving me files, contacs and calendar (Owncloud), email, my VPN, seeding about 400 Torrents on qBittorrent all while pulling only 13 Watts from the wall.

streaming media will be ok, but transfers will be slow

using fast ethernet caps you at ~12M/s max
gigabit but usb2 at about 40M/s (unless the device has multiple usb2 host controllers, in which case higher throughput is possible)
gigabit and usb3 can do 125M/s

it seems a waste to assemble a raid and severely limit your access to it in the interest of shaving a few dollars off

>shaving a few dollars off

But the EEE is only 100Mb/s and obviouly not USB 3.
What solution is there other than throwing it away?

thought you were op
start your own thread next time

Sorry brah, It was kinda related.