/pcbg/- PC Building General

Amateur, backup thread starter edition.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to build a pc, how to select components, and much, much more advice.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

- Post your list, rate other user's, ask questions in general.

- Always state the purpose of your PC and your budget. If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

-If you see any other "PCPartPicker thread"s or threads asking for advice on a build or parts list, please politely direct them here.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VIF43-0mDk4
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QRQLsJ
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/cGByKZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/mCFW3F
pcpartpicker.com/list/rrrtnn
anandtech.com/bench/GPU16/1533
pcpartpicker.com/list/YVNBjc
pcpartpicker.com/list/x6dbKZ
newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?N=100007583 600006305&IsNodeId=1&Submit=ENE
amazon.com/s?rh=n:572238,p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:3606145011
overclockers.co.uk/cases-and-modding/pc-cases/micro-itx-nuc/micro-atx-cases
anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/8
pcpartpicker.com/list/phdv3F
pcpartpicker.com/list/v3kzf8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Essential newb informational video:
>youtube.com/watch?v=VIF43-0mDk4

Planned build is pic related. I already have HDDs and an SSD. Any comments, etc. are appreciated.
Weirdly enough the EVGA FTW 1070 is one of the cheaper aftermarket cards, cheaper than the founders edition. The build is meant to be as quiet/silent as possible.

This was mostly based on logicalincrements. Any glaring issues you can see?

looks good apart from RAM. faster ram does not give any benefits unless you work with databases and such.
you could save a little by getting the gaming M3 or M5 and a different PSU. 850W is almost 2 times more than your build would use even with SLI.

>locked CPU
>huge heatsinks on RAM
>not 2TB drive
>no SSD

The 850w power supply is overkill in this setup.

The PSU is semi passive, meaning that it'll be working as a fanless model most of the time even under load. 850W is also enough for 2 high-end GPUs if I ever fancy them.

As for the ram, I know that it doesn't do much but it's like 10 bucks more, so it's not a huge deal.

The m5 motherboard is a difference of a few €, not worth mentioning, I'll look into the m3 though, thanks.

Anything I should change?

>fx 4350 with an rx 480
le bottleneck face

pretty much everything

either get an intel i5 now or wait for amd zen if you're a fanboy. the amd fx cpus are old as fuck and slow as fuck

your ram has huge heatsinks which is just plain retarded and has no functionality.

you dont need a DVD reader nowadays, get a USB drive instead.

and i really hope you're not going to play vidya with fucking wifi.

First time building a computer so I knew not everythig would be perfect

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QRQLsJ

>that RAM

Went onto another thread and asked bout this sorta thing.
They were such dicks.
I mean it is my first build
And I am 13
So I wouldn't know About all this stuff

Even with SLI, as stated earlier, it is still too much since 750w is recommended for 2-way 1080 SLI. Also SLI isn't always a great idea since not all games support it.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/cGByKZ

Thanks for the help

Extra headroom doesn't hurt, there are also GPUs that consume more power than a 1080, overclocking is also a thing, it'll remain passive for a longer time with the extra headroom, etc.
I don't see an actual issue with the 850W, I could save 20 bucks by going with the 750W version but that's not a huge deal.

>300W+ headroom even when OCing
>there are also GPUs that consume more power than a 1080
but you are buying a 1070...

>but you are buying a 1070...
And in 3 years I'll still be using this PSU.

pcpartpicker.com/list/mCFW3F

How is it? Poorfag, but I plan to get the GPU later to help move build along faster. I already have the case so that is $100 down.

>implying performance per watt is not increasing every year

Fermi was the high point of power consumption, cards are becoming more and more power efficient.

>it's overkill
And I'll enjoy fanless operation even under load and everything will be cooler and operate at maximum efficiency, what exactly is the problem?

Check out the Gaming M3 mobo as alternative.
Your RAM and cooler is probably not compatible because of the fuckhuge heatsinks on the RAM.
WD Black is a meme. Get any other 2TB drive for the same price.
>WIFI for gaming
please dont.

rest looks good and you're not a fucking poorfag

That's not how efficiency rating works, and headroom doesnt work that way either.

But i can understand you want a fanless unit, just saying that even 650W would be more than enough and give plenty of headroom even when you OC to the max.

And future proofing is not an issue because of what I just said about performance/watt.

Your money and choice and I cant stop you.

wtf

Thanks, gonna make those changes. By the way, I wanted to get a liquid cooler by Corsair/NZXT in the first place for clearance reasons. I heard that Noctua was the better CPU cooler to get for the case, yet everyone with the case I seen use liquid cooling.

Would a liquid cooler help that compatibility out or is it too meme?

what in the world

>That's not how efficiency rating works, and headroom doesnt work that way either.
I'm sorry, you're only talking to an EE student here. PSUs are the most efficient at roughly 50% load, higher wattage units are dimensioned to take more current (obviously) so they'll either run cooler because the cooling solution is better or they'll have higher quality components inside. Whichever way you slice it, buying an overkill PSU will just prolong the life of that PSU since it never has to work at or even near its limit.
>future proofing is not an issue because of my predictions
Except that you could be wrong.
>650W
Will be hard pressed to run an overclocked system with 2 TitanXs or other cards with higher power consumption.

You mean AIO/CLC (all in one/closed loop cooler)?
The thick triple fan ones are really good and usually beats even the fat Noctua coolers. Some dual fan coolers might even be around the same performance.

There should be plenty of reviews of AIO coolers with comparison against the NH-D14 or D15.

>>future proofing is not an issue because of my predictions
>predicitons
>you could be wrong
sure, but it's a realistic prediction and has been the trend since Nvidia Fermi for the green team and even earlier for the red team.
shit, it's been like that for CPUs for the last decade. Performance increases while staying at the same power consumption.

>Will be hard pressed to run an overclocked system with 2 TitanXs or other cards with higher power consumption.
you're not getting two TITAN X's are you? stop moving the goalposts.

You got me on the 50% load efficiency tho, i'll give you that. But you're a bit too invested in that i feel.

BTW, have you checked out some platinum rated units?

My parts are comin' in the mail right now. Two-day shipping on everything except the tower.. hopefully will be here by Thursday at latest.

pcpartpicker.com/list/rrrtnn

Tell me how I did senpai

Not him, but your assumptions aren't entirely correct
>PSUs are the most efficient at roughly 50% load
True, but it's also a curve whose peak efficiency depends on the unit itself. Some are more efficient at a broader range than others, some have really small peak efficiency ranges that drop off dramatically the more you load the PSU, and some have steadily increasing efficiency up until around 3/4 of its rating, which then drops like a rock afterwards.
>buying an overkill PSU will just prolong the life of that PSU since it never has to work at or even near its limit
While theoretically this is true, in the real world, all components degrade with age, humidity, temperature fluctations, etc. There are too many variables in play when it comes to determining how long electrical components last that unless you live in a perfectly controlled environment drawing the same amount of power at every blinking moment of the PSU's lifespan, you've got a better shot of guessing tomorrow's lotto numbers than predicting when your brand new PSU will conk out. That's why you buy a PSU with the highest rating, not because they're more efficient, but because the quality of the components in the thing that makes it that more efficient also reduces the chances of spontaneous failures during heavy usage. Of course, this is not always the case and some 80+ Gold rated PSU *cough*Thermalfake*couch* have attrocious quality control that undermines the semi-decent components that went into it. You can buy an overkill PSU and run it with no problems, but it's not a guarantee that it will last longer than a lower-rated PSU.

>you're only talking to an EE student here
Must have started your first semester this week.

>you're not getting two TITAN X's are you? stop moving the goalposts.
I'm getting a single 1070, who knows what I'll be buying in a few years? I already had the situation where I was running a 680W PSU, got myself 2 R9 290s and suddenly needed to upgrade the PSU. Which is more wasteful that getting an 850W unit right now.
What you're saying is right, power consumption has basically remained identical, so high-end GPUs will still be at roughly 250W stock, getting 2 of them puts you into 750W territory especially with overclocking and the 850W unit is just 20 bucks more.
Yes, all of this depends on whether I'll be running a dual GPU system at some point, but I just like to have that option without needing to mess around with a new PSU. And even if I never buy a second GPU I basically spent 150 bucks on a fanless PSU.
>platinum rated
Incredibly expensive still.

in general 50-80% is as good number.
I'm buying a well reviewed unit with stellar test results, what you're saying literally doesn't apply here and I was never talking about PSUs in general but rather this specific one and whether I should get the 850, 750 or 650W version. And yes, in that scenario the higher wattage units are more likely to last longer.
>Must have started your first semester this week.
If you base that on a bunch of bullshit you interpreted into my post instead of what I actually wrote then you might come to that conclusion, yes. But how about you actually look at the facts instead of picking fights with random people on the internet.

this is what i had on my tongue but couldnt get the wording right myself. spot on, my good sir.

>who knows what I'll be buying in a few years?
>I already had the situation where I was running a 680W PSU
>got myself 2 R9 290
>completely ignoring everythin i just said about new tech being more power efficient every generation
fucking hell, it's like talking to a wall

>faster ram does not give any benefits unless you work with databases and such.
Some games can take advantage of it.

>not a 7200rpm drive
You dun goofed.

which games

He's young. I've been working with and messing around with hardware since the first Pentiums came on the market. He's still got a lot to learn if he thinks parroting "facts" from PC gaming blogs and reddit makes his words any more credible than the degree he has yet to complete.

how much can case affect sound? I have a HAF912 and realized my pc is so much louder than my friend who has a Define r4, and I'm starting to think it's because my case is literally only sheet metal and mesh

what's the cheapest quiet case I can get?

sause?

Sure. But computers have also become huge electricity drains. A 140W PSU used to be enough for a good high end desktop PC 20 years ago. Now you need at least a quality 450W PSU. A current high end computer consumes about 50-100W idle. about the same as late 90s high end computers. But at load, a high end computer can easily hit 400W, a late 90s one would hit 120W or so.

High end CPUs and GPUs used to be passively cooled. One fan (in the PSU) to cool the entire system. Giant tower coolers and AIO coolers became commonplace.

New chips are better at throttling, but computers are worse for your electricity bill now than they were 20 years ago.

Manufacturers (especially GPU manufacturers) went nuts. At least they appear to be going the right way now tho, but it's still a far way from the high end 3D graphics cards of the late 90s that simply could not draw more than 15W due to being limited by the PCI slot.

I'm sure an old computer would be even more efficient if paired with a modern PSU design (tho altered to suit a system that draws more from the 5V rail than current systems does.)

>HAF912
>my case is literally only sheet metal and mesh
Because that's what it actually is. If you want a silent case, you need one with acoustic barriers like foam paddings on the front/side panels and non-direct intake vents to further dampen the noise from the intake fans.
Your fans also have a lot to do with the noise output. The more air it pushes (aka how fast the fan has to spin), the more noise it will make. If you want a completely silent build, you need to remove the need of having more than one fan. Put a 45W TDP or lower CPU with a massive fanless heatsink, a PSU with a quiet setting on its fan (preferably one that is rated about twice the wattage that you'll actually need at peak load, because then the fan will rarely kick in), and an SSD-only storage solution. If you must have a GPU, then you'll need a case with foam-lining on the side panels and a blower-style fan to keep the GPU heat from spreading throughout the case. Windowed cases can be as loud as heavily vented cases because acrylic transfers sound pretty well.

I can't find benchmarks for any good games, but Fallout 4 benefits.

Boku no Pico

>20 years ago
>the 90s
your information is incorrect and you're wrong. every generation for both CPUs and GPUs they become more and more power efficient. we already hit the peak power consumption several years ago.

look at some actual fucking numbers and you will see.

anandtech.com/bench/GPU16/1533

Are there news about the 490?

>RX490
It will either be a RX 485X2 or a Fury successor. The smaller Vega chip was cancelled.

He's right though, $20 is a decent enough savings, a lot of PSUs stay the same price with more/less wattage. And I SLI'ed 2 [spoiler]stock[/spoiler] 1070s on 650w with headroom to spare
I'm just saying, saving $20 and keeping a quality power supply with still way more than enough wattage is hard to do, and you can do it

Efficiency is optimal at a range around half the max wattage, and your computer will RARELY ever pull what PCpartpicker states

You're missing the point, SLI is crap, and there's no new cards coming out that will need 800+ watts, even in SLI with mild overclocks

pcpartpicker.com/list/YVNBjc

I'd like some general feedback from you guys before I start buying things.

My budget is around $1k, but I won't lose much sleep if I'm a little over that.

One of my main goals is to have a smaller pc that still does everything I want it to. A mid tower just seems too big/excessive. I would have liked to go with a micro-atx instead, but it looks like there aren't any micro-atx cases, so I'll have to settle with mini-itx.

I already have a graphics card that plays all of the games I want it to. Decided to go with a beefy cpu because I do a lot of software compiling. Sometimes I like to fuck around in UE4, and it seems to put the light baking work on the cpu.

One thing I'm a little worried about is that m.2 ssd. Mini-itx motherboards put the m.2 slot on the back of the mobo, where not much air flow happens. While the worst that will probably happen is that the ssd will throttle, I'm still not entirely sure about the decision. I like the idea of having everything on the m.2 though. This will be a tight build so the less cables I have to deal with, the better.

I might forego the blu ray burner. I just threw that in there because there's a space for it in the case. Admittedly, I will probably never use it.

I also already have a copy of windows 10 as well.

I've thought about waiting until December for kaby lake and the new chipset that will come with it, but I'm a little weary of adopting a new technology like that. It bit me in the ass in the past with sandy bridge. Also, that's four months away... Might be nice to build now while the cpus are starting to get a little cheaper.

20 years ago a 3D card simply could not draw more than 15W. Your link show them sucking up 200-400W, more than an entire high end computer would. CPUs were also a lot more friendly to your electricity bill. With many sitting at less than 30W.

Back then undervolted desktop chips were good enough for laptop use.

It became cheap to make power hungry and overpowered parts, so to one-up the competition, everyone started throwing more watts and their chips to get better scores on a benchmark.

>look at part list every few days
>keeps getting more expensive
pcpartpicker.com/list/x6dbKZ

I don't get it, there's plenty of mATX cases, I'm getting a 350D.
There's less motherboard and chipset options for sure but I see plenty of cases

>but it looks like there aren't any micro-atx cases
Then you haven't been looking hard enough
newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?N=100007583 600006305&IsNodeId=1&Submit=ENE
amazon.com/s?rh=n:572238,p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:3606145011
overclockers.co.uk/cases-and-modding/pc-cases/micro-itx-nuc/micro-atx-cases

>Mini-itx motherboards put the m.2 slot on the back of the mobo, where not much air flow happens
It's not as significant as an issue that you think it is because putting an M.2 right beneath your GPU's massive heatsink is probably worse. If you really care about throttling, then you won't be using the native ports on any motherboard on the market and using an adapter card that has mounting holes for a heatsink.

Also, Kaby Lake is not new generation for this node. That would be Skylake, Kaby Lake is almost certainly what Devil's Canyon was for Haswell.

>Your link show them sucking up 200-400W, more than an entire high end computer would
>>>>>>>>>>Total System Power Consumption in Watts

And if you do go ITX, make sure your graphics card fits and it's well cooled. The biggest problem of ITX is cooling

get regular SSD instead. MUCH cheaper and less trouble. every modern case will have a mounting bracket.
Fast RAM is a meme unless you use databases.
Check out some coolers from Scythe, they have good low profile ones.
Do you really need a DVD drive? You can do everything with a USB stick these days.
Are you set on that type of chassi case cus there are some other ITX designs that's less wide/long but a little thicker/fatter instead. Also have you check to see if your GPU fits in the case?

rest looks good.

This. There are plenty of mATX cases.

Your whole argument falls apart because you are ignoring the change in performance. Learn what perf/watt means.

We already hit max power consumption. New hardware is becoming more powerful while staying at the same level of power consumption, or even using less power while still being more powerful.

How many fucking times do i have to tell you this?

He's talking about this guys 400w GPUs

Fug
X2 is a dualchip with hbm?
Fury successor sounds expensive..

>Fast RAM is a meme unless you use databases
Not anymore. Skylake's memory controller does magic with higher-clocked memory that actually improves performance in many applications, including many current games. I'd still wait for DDR4 prices and latencies to start dropping before investing in a higher frequency stick.

No, it's just two RX 480s smashed onto a single board. They did this with some mid-range Radeon cards back when Radeon was still owned by ATi.

Is buying a 400w unit enough for a i5 6600k + RX 480? Don't worry, it's a quality unit (be quiet straight power 10) and I'm considering that rather than a lower-end 500w.

One:
Are you going over overclock/overvolt either the CPU or GPU?
Two:
If so, how far are you willing to push the two?

No, we're talking about the anandtech chart. The dude doesnt know how to read.

anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/8

>quad core
>2016
Lel,poorcucks

Ram is good but for non gaming things wtf

Ew yeah I remember some 3870 x2 4870 x2 pro duoand 295 x2 never bothered about them much... Do they run better than sli? From what I remember they just use much power and perform as one in poor optimised games.

Thanks for showing me those cases. I do remember coming across those. I wonder why all micro-atx cases are cube shaped like that. Surface area is a bit of a premium in my room so they don't do me much better than a mid tower. I've thought about waiting for that dan-case to come out, but again, I don't want to wait 4 months, and I don't know if I want to spend that sort of money on so much nothing.

>get regular SSD instead. MUCH cheaper and less trouble
What do you mean "less trouble"?
>Fast RAM is a meme unless you use databases.
As a matter of fact I do use databases.
>Check out some coolers from Scythe, they have good low profile ones.
I built a computer with a scythe low profile cooler. It was a bit of a nightmare. Though in scythe's defense, the cooler was half covered by the cd rom drive with maybe a millimeter of clearance and it was cooling a hot running amd cpu in a small dusty htpc case. Still leaves a sort of bad taste in my mouth, though.

My graphics card is a 'EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+', so it runs nice and cool and will fit in the case.

Hi guys

I need to get a short term laptop to last me the next 2-3 years. I'm looking at a $200 refurb HP EliteBook 8460P, intel i5 processor with 2.5 ghz, 8 GB RAM. I basically only surf the web, program, and play basic games like Civ. I know hardware specs have slowed down in the last 5 years too. Do you think it'll be enough?

Thanks

>One:
Not in the beginning, but yes, I will overclock the i5 6600k. I'll probably leave the RX 480 at its 'stock' clock (as in what the aftermarket card clocks it at).

>Two
Probably something conventional I guess. I often hear 4.6ghz being thrown around. Most online calculators say an i5 6600k and RX 480 at their max TDP is still well under 400w.

You can buy used six core Sandy bridge Xeons for 150€...

>anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/8
>DDR4-2133
And a pair at 3200MHz actually extends the lead in applications and games that are affected by memory bandwidth.

>Do they run better than sli?
No, they might increase the overall FPS average (in Crossfire-supported games only), but at the expense of latencies between each rendered frame. This also causes a choppier overall experience because the FPS can fluctuate significantly over time.
SLI is also shit, but because it's unnecessary and is becoming unsupported.

>What do you mean "less trouble"?
you dont have to worry about the location of the connector like you mentioned.

>As a matter of fact I do use databases.
then you can make good use of faster ram, keep them or maybe even get even faster if you can afford.

>It was a bit of a nightmare. Though in scythe's defense, the cooler was half covered
yeah that could cause issues. the one i'm thinking about (big shuriken) has good reviews.

>I wonder why all micro-atx cases are cube shaped like that
to fit a regular ATX power supply and regular sized graphics cards mostly. some have one bigger fan intake.

>intel i5 processor with 2.5 ghz
which generation and model?

provide a source please

That is still a lot higher than the 120W peak of 15-20 years ago. And that number was measured using a 15-20 year old 300W ATX power supply.

System I used to measure has a CUSL2, Coppermine 1GHz, 133 MHz SD RAM. One HDD. One GeForce 256 DDR, and 2x Voodoo 2 in SLI, Vortex 2 compatible sound card.

It idles at 70W with that old power supply.

Would probably need a APU or a system with a GTX 750 Ti to get that kind of power consumption, and computers with that kind of components aren't exactly considered high end. Tho they can be pretty nice for general use and games.

You've only told me once. But your stance seem kinda BS to me tho. perf/w would still be huge compared to those mid 90s early 00s computers even when you used components that were a lot more power efficient. See GTX 750 Ti. Bus powered card. When paired with a lower powered CPU, you could get a power consumption more like the computers of the late 90s.

It's the high end that's gone batshit insane with their 60-140W CPUs and 150-300W graphics cards. And you kinda need those if you enjoy games at higher framerates and higher settings.

>this fucking guy

>Performance[MHz]
It's Traysh, It's all Traysh!

>Titan XP, a real 4K card, can play any game maxed at 60+ FPS
>Reccommended PSU: 600w

2.5GHz Core i5-2520M

dual core

What makes you think I deny the performance per watt increase? I'm commenting on how ridiculous the need for 500W power supplies is. Even the RPI and similar devices can show a perf/w increase with each generation.

200-300W was more than good enough for the high end around the turn of the century, now 500W is just good enough for one.

To get peak performance in 2000, you'd see 120W drawn from the wall, now you see 400W.

Ofc. the perf/w has increased, and that's great. What's a shame is that the overall power consumption also increased. It's great that these new graphics cards shows a lot more finesse in their power consumption. Consumes less, but shows a great increase in performance.

And a 1070 pulls half the max wattage of a Titan X, so SLI would be fine (even though SLI is not just double power)

>gtx 1080 uses 100W less than a R9 390X but is 40% faster
>this is just over 2 years

>intel's latest generation is 10% faster than the last generation while keeping the same or lower power consumption
>20% faster and lower power consumption than 2 generations ago
>also just 2 years progress

and stop with your fucking 20 year old bullshit, it's no relevant because of the way the tech has developed.

take a gtx 950 for example list every older generation card with the same performance and look at how much power it consumed.

it should be ok

>What's a shame is that the overall power consumption also increased.
IT STOPPED INCREASING YEARS AGO YOU RETARDED FUCK

pcpartpicker.com/list/phdv3F

I've updated the cooler to something that seems to be generally recommended for this tiny case, and removed the blu ray drive. Other than that, same as One thing I am thinking about doing is putting the case on its side and putting a monitor on top of it, sort of like what they did in the olden days. It would save be a bunch of room, and the case comes with feet so airflow on the bottom wouldn't be a problem. However, the base of my monitor would probably take up half of the vent on the right/top side of the case. Should I expect that to cause issues? I don't think this case has any fans in it other than the ones in the psu, gpu and cpu. If it is an issue, I can always put it upright I guess.

I've debated going with silverstone's sfx-l cooler, but would 500w be enough? I'm also a little worried, as I hear the fan in that thing has rattling problems, which seems counter intuitive given that the point of the sfx-l form factor is to run quieter due to the bigger fan.

Pentium 100 MHz was a 10W chip. 85W is more common for an i3-i7 now. I mention 20 years since that's how technology developed over the years. I think it is a bad development, but as you can see at I did mention it was great how new stuff seems to consume less than parts from 2 years ago. I still think there is a long way to go.

Sounds like you're still on your perf/w train with your GTX 950 comment. I never denied the perf/w increase. I think perf/w have been mishandled. Instead of making parts that consumed little and performed great, they made parts that consumed a lot and performed even better. They made hot chips that need giant loud coolers. They're so heavy they start to sag. The cards occupies one slot in your computer, but also blocks the use of its closest neighbour. You probably don't need 7 expansion slots, but losing 2 out of 4 (instead of 1 out of 4) in an mATX system sucks.

Stopped increasing years ago doesn't mean there wasn't a huge increase since the early 00s.

Your counter argument does seem rather juvenile tho. I guess you never grew up with those old systems.

There also was a time when a _smart phone_ had a battery life of 5-10 days, not 1-2 days.

>putting the case on its side and putting a monitor on top of it
make sure the side panel is strong enough if your monitor stand does not go all the way across so it rests mostly on the corners.
you could try rotating the case to get the vent in another position.
dont buy old generation GPUs.

are you for real? stop ignoring everything we're telling you.
everything you have said is wrong.
power consumption is not going up every fucking generation. it stopped doing that over 5 years ago.
look at some real fucking numbers instead of pulling shit out of your fucking ass.

the early 00s is irrelevant. the only juvenile here is you since you keep dismissing and outright ignoring everything everyone is telling you.

and smartphones is another discussion in itself (BATTERIES), stop trying to connect two points that have nothing to do with each other you retarded fuck.

you're using fallacy after fallacy in all your posts.

But the higher performance per watt designs that start with the high-power parts are also used in the cheaper lower-performance stuff.

It lasted that long because mobile data was expensive and slow, so you didn't want to use it much.

>dont buy old generation GPUs.
That 960 has been floating around in my house for a while. I would never buy a 960 today.

>power consumption is not going up every fucking generation. it stopped doing that over 5 years ago.
I never said it did. I said it had gone up since the mid 90s / early 00s. And it's gone up a lot. Stop ignoring everything I've been telling you. :)

I also mentioned a few times that (this might be the third time) that it is great how these new cards consume less than similarly priced and tiered cards from the generation before them.

The early 00s and late 90s shows that you can still have high performance desktop computers without needing a 500W power supply. Don't you think it would be great if current high end parts would run fine with something like a Seasonic G-360?

Phones are relevant tho. Manufacturers shove more power hungry parts in a smaller space, but the battery remains the same. Resulting in a huge hit to your overall battery life.

Yes. It is a shame intel and nvidia gimp those slower components for features tho. Would be great to have the option to make a SLI GTX 750 Ti system, or just desktop tier quad core pentium processors. Dual CPU Celeron system used to be a thing for a while (tho not exactly "approved" by intel). This has more to do with jewing than power consumption I think.

I like you. You seem like someone people enjoy talking to.

Revised my build, still look overpriced for the performance somehow...
pcpartpicker.com/list/v3kzf8

>Don't you think it would be great if current high end parts would run fine with something like a Seasonic G-360?
They will in a few years.

>Phones are relevant tho. Manufacturers shove more power hungry parts in a smaller space
because consumers want it.
>but the battery remains the same
because battery tech is not progressing at the same speed as microprocessors.

>Pentium G3258
>LGA 1150
nigga what are you doing

Swapping the 1080 for the XP most likely using Intel BXSTS200C as my cooling options, case is a Haf-X. This is my overkill 4K streaming/mining idea atm bought the case/storage already tempted to up the Xeons to E5-2630 v4s or the 40s maybe

Was going to suggest a cheaper case, but those don't include a power supply I guess.

I guess that's the bare minimum if you wan't a discrete graphics card I guess.

How about a 7200RPM drive? or a 3.5" drive if those fit in that case. 5400RPM 2.5" drives can be painfully slow. The ones I've used have been at least.

As might be trying to suggest. Would an LGA1151 system be more expensive?

I think consumers can be pretty retarded too sometimes. They come in to the store I work in wanting to return their 6 months old iPhone 6S because the battery only last half a day, complaining about it being broken. Looking at the battery usage, there are lots of shit like snapchat eating up 70-80% of the battery.

They don't realise their usage pattern and "hardware requirements" is the issue, not the battery. The phone isn't broken. Not the way they want it to be at least. These people think getting a new iPhone 6S will improve things. It is also strange how these people spend 700 dollars on a phone, but only get the cheapest crap 350 dollar laptop.

>Dual xeons
>Dual PCIe SSDs with a lone HDD
>streaming
You definitely don't have enough cores

Why not get 2 XPs at that price

I have a RAID storage array in my other box...
I'm a fan of single GPU personally.

>nigga what are you doing
Are those not compatible with each other or are they too weak?
If its the later then I am actually fine with that, I have been gaming with a sandy i3 and according to cpuboss g3258 is a tad better than that cpu.

Some user suggested that case and I really liked it so I am building a PC using that case. There's actually room for bigger card in case I want to upgrade in the future
And what are some 7200RPM 2.5 drive that is not much more expensive than the one in the list?

they are compatible, but it's outdated socket and shit tier performance.

you're basically paying extra for nothing just because it's old and is in low supply.

hold on ill make a build for you...