/fgt/ - Friendly GNU Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fgt/ - Friendly GNU Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU.

Meet the /fgt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU Games
- /t/'s GNU Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

jwz.org/xkeycaps/
zdnet.com/article/hacker-hundreds-were-tricked-into-installing-linux-mint-backdoor/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fan_speed_control
archwomen.org/
kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sysrq.txt
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Linux nerds! How do I switch my Alt key for "Winshit" key? It's driving me nuts and I keep hitting it by a mistake. Everything would be fine if I could switch these things around.

Using Mint with Cinnamon.

Thanks!

gnu = cancer

You mean like with xmodmap?

>CrossOver Linux 15.0.1 is the easiest way to run Microsoft Windows software on your Linux PC without buying a Windows license, rebooting, or using a virtual machine. Also games, and utility programs all in one application

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:3236387e461b82ba70fcf85aac327f30bd416478&dn=Crossover+Linux+15.0.1&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fzer0day.ch%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969

you = cancer

kys

epic post bro

yeah, is there like a gui or something?

you never tried to look in the actual mint forum for mint related issues.... ????
>forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=3158

>Are there any Windows applications that you can't get working under CrossOver?

>We can probably get any Windows application to work. We managed to get Microsoft Office to run, so odds are pretty good that we can get your application running too. The only question is how much time and money it will take.

Sickening. So they're just bundling Wine and other software other people wrote and selling it? It's not even licensed under the GPL from what I've seen.

>you never tried to look in the actual mint forum for mint related issues.... ????
that doesn't actually do what I want. I'd like to switch Winshit Alt on both sides of the keyboard. I dont care about disabling the actual menu.

jwz.org/xkeycaps/

>Using Mint with Cinnamon.
Just a warning, Mint is currently the worst distro around, consider switching to a better distro. You wount get security updates for the kernel and packages will break. It was also hacked in the past and backdoors were added into the isos.

>:~$ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
>Odd number of elements in hash assignment at /usr/share/pkg-config-dpkghook line 30.

wut.

>jwz.org/xkeycaps/
OH FUCK YES! Thank you user. Exactly what I was hoping would exist. Doing it through command line and copy/pasting various key code is damn error prone.

>MUH ISSUES
Dude please. I dont care. Mint works perfectly for me. Everythign I need it to do just fucking works. It's the only distro that works well out of the box. Anyway, this is a wrong thread for distro evangelism.

>tfw install mint is the new delete system32

Also...

>E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
>E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

WUT.

Anyone care to point me in the right direction, I am trying to do a minimal install of F24 with i3wm, yet I am struggling to install Xorg with dnf, Google has provided little help.

I would be very appreciative of any input, thanks chaps

It's okay if you don't care, but don't say it works when it actually doesn't. Security issues are serious issues.

>retards think random anons will have any idea what the thread is about

means ya gettin hacked by the fbi

Install X window system in the netinstall. Or install lxde version and then disable the login manager and pretend lxde isn't there.

That sucks. I knew downloading Linux would make me a bigger target than I already was.

>It's okay if you don't care, but don't say it works when it actually doesn't. Security issues are serious issues.
bullshit. can you cite some news articles when someone's Mint got hacked?
anyway, gtfo! go troll in some other thread... preferably Winshit or some gaymer one.

>fedora
>minimal install
don't even bother
I've been there and it's shit

Linux Mint is shit, other distros are good. You picked the worst one. Why are you sperging out and acting like he's against GNU/Linux? He's not. You're just stupid.
zdnet.com/article/hacker-hundreds-were-tricked-into-installing-linux-mint-backdoor/

How can I back up ppas and the installed programs I have in kubuntu? I want to be able to add what I had and remove what I didn't have in a fresh installation.

>zdnet.com/article/hacker-hundreds-were-tricked-into-installing-linux-mint-backdoor/
thats not the fault of the distro itself but the person managing it. linux mint, when installed, has no sec issues.

ps: main dev of Arch got hacked too. so what.

Continued from , I tried startx and all that loads is a black screen with a cursor (pic related). I'll try undoing the changes I made before this happened, but the file was so minor that I don't know how it could have caused this. Basically I copied a file from wicd and edited that copy to connect to my uni's wifi. When I restarted my computer, it only loads terminal. I definitely fell for the Mint meme.

looks like PEBKAC

Ubuntu users thinking of switch to Debian, The thing is I actually like unity, it has this cool feature were windows automatically take up half the screen, Any DE with similar features? KDE looks kind meh... is I3 just a meme?

I prefer gnome over unity. But if you like unity why not just stay with Ubuntu?

Newfag here.

Do I use Nvidia or Noveau driver for my dGPU (GTX 960M)?

Or maybe disable it completely and roll with the integrated one by itself?

Do VPS servers usually come with a dedicated IP?
Also, do you guys usually set up your own DNS server when you run a website from a VPS?

Probably desu, but the file was so minor that I don't know why it would change so much

started with ubuntu and im not using mint, what's the next step?

On Windows, I used to use AutoHotkey for spelling corrections. You could give it a list of words and their replacements and it would monitor keypresses and just inject backspaces & their replacements. It works across every app.

How do I get that functionality under Linux?

>ubuntu
>next step
Install Apartheid Linux.

im now*

you are ready for gentoo

You've reached the apex. No need to fuck around. Use Mint to get important shit done. Unless you're in IT, fucking around with various distros is a giant waste of time.

Linux Mint is an enemy of your freedom.

Yes.
No.

>were windows automatically take up half the screen, Any DE with similar features?

xfce has that, you just gotta map it in the settings because I don't remember what the default shortcuts are. I have mine to ctrl+alt+left/right_arrow

fedora then manjaro

Just installed arch and i3.

What did I do? What should I do? Did I fuck up?

I'm too retarded for this shit.

If you want to do anything gpu heavy then install the proprietary driver for better performance, otherwise shouldn't be necessary

you need to install fonts
ttf-dejavu if you want it to just werk

whatever it is you use a computer for?

Is that it? Hmm thanks.

I didn't think it'd be this minimal...

How do I slow down my chassis fan? I followed this guide but it doesn't do shit to my fan:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fan_speed_control

I think CPU fan is automatically controlled but my chassis fan is at full speed all the time. It's so damn loud!

So I have been using Fedora for a good while I love it. I have a question though, if I update to the newest Fedora will I have to use Easylife again to install the proprietary stuff?

So I'm retarded and I only have a couple of Powerbook G4s to spare for Linux. What's a good distro for these things? I would use YellowDog had this been 2010.
Thanks

the answer to all questions is

fuck you

install gentoo?

Haha there's so much stuff that isn't installed and I just tried to install urxvt-patched and now my i3 terminal keybind is broken. I think I really am too dumb for this.

igpu for normal stuff
nvidia proprietary driver for everything else

Nvidia is enemy of your freedom, they have shit open source drivers

what does it mean when a job says they expect me to "know" linux? what do they want me to know?

Linux

>manually tiling a tile-less wm
you mad nerds?

You could at least make your edges line up, man.

>urxvt-patched
why?
also, stop saying that shit is broken
nothing is broken, you probably need to configure
just because the defaults aren't working the way you want doesn't mean it's broken

what is wrong with GNU, GNU is just fine, fuck off back to the BSD thread if you wanna cry about how GNU is communism and how you have PTSD over the word GNU

mint doesn't provide security patches for the sake of the stability, because their DE is "shit". I find it awesome for the user, but it's buggy as hell on other distributions

GNU are for neckbeards who can't even see their own dicks because of their fat. Just look at RMS.

I'm currently installing Debian
WHen it prompts software selection:
Do I have to install debian desktop environment + GNOME
Or can I just install GNOME?

plz respond

How am I to open the terminal to edit the config? I haven't set a keybind for dmenu yet.

Any software that allows me to keep an agenda to stay organized?

nevermind I'm dumb

you can just install gnome, no need for debian desktop environment.

Sup Sup Forums I need to write a bash script that'll crash and force a reboot on a linux computer because I don't have sudo rights and I'm not walking half fucking hour to hard reset the machine by hand.

Anyone have something like this?

FUCK
the way it was listed made it seem that gnome was dependent on debian desktop environment

ctrl+alt+f2
login and edit
reload i3

emacs org-mode

Reminder that females matter.
archwomen.org/

a simple fork-bomb can crash the machine, I don't know about re-booting it though.

can't forkbomb, limited in processes

kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sysrq.txt

R E I S U B
E
I
S
U
B

permission denied

send the keystrokes

I'm trying to do a fresh install of mint 18 on my laptop currently running mint 17 and a smaller partition with an old antergos.
Problem is it won't load the live version off the DVD. I burned the iso, change my boot options, get to the gnu grub, select the mint 18 cinnamon 64-bit option, and get a black screen. Compatibility mode does the same thing.
Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Don't install Mint it's the worst distro.

Could use an answer to this problem, if you patricians could spare the time.

I'm a pleb and I'm used to it. I just want it to work. I've also tried suse and didn't like it much

Thank you man really. I'm sorry to bring my retardation here.

Where do I start with Linux security?

>Arch is going SJW like Debian and Fedora
At least we still have Gentoo.

1, mpd
2, something like plex or kodi probably
3, would like an answer for this too.

are there any really minimal display managers?

like just a command prompt, where you type in username & password, then it sends you to your regular graphical session

Ufw/iptables, dnscrypt, selinux...
Maybe follow your distros hardening walkthrough.

You can make startx run automatically on login in one tty, tty1 at best.

In a previous thread I asked about using apple's wired keyboard with Linux... and now I finally picked it up from a guy off Craigslist. Paid $35 for it brand new after bargaining with him.

I've been using mechanical switches all my life (never owned laptops so never encountered chicklet style) but I was never satisfied with them. I tried MS Designer bluetooth keyboard at the store but wasn't exactly happy with the keys (they are mushy and doesn't register keys well). MS Designer Bluetooth keyboard is also expensive but it does come with a mouse... which is great if you need one.

Anyway, after using this apple keyboard for an hour, these keyboards are the fucking GOAT! It takes so little force to press them yet the travel is near perfect. My fingertips don't hurt after typing for long anymore!

Linux modifications were easy too. I remapped media keys and assigned those 'show all windows' and 'show desktop' keys and now it's perfect. The keyboard also has two USB ports on the side and I plugged my wireless mouse dongle into one of them. My mouse also feels a bit snappier & doesn't disconnect since the dongle is so close to it.

Anyway, if you want a great keyboard, find a used one of these. Don't own any apple equipment but this keyboard is fucking great! Thanks /flt/!

Good for you.

Thanks for the response, family.

About to try linux mint 18 on a laptop i'm not using.

Is it worth? Windblows boi here.

Mint is a poor choice. Go for Ubuntu or Fedora.

Already tried ubuntu, no matter what I did it was just too ugly.