/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
youtube.com/watch?v=O2efSysPvy8
wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Mumbleguide/English#Whisper
lwn.net/Articles/676664/
zdnet.com/article/linux-mint-website-hacked-malicious-backdoor-version/
arstechnica.com/security/2016/02/linux-mint-hit-by-malware-infection-on-its-website-and-forum-after-hack-attack/
techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
manjaro.github.io/expired_SSL_certificate_update/
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2bxt4p/debunking_manjaro_myths_las_322/
debian.org/releases/stable/
debian.org/releases/testing/
debian.org/releases/sid/
swaywm.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Are you running wayland, Sup Forums?

Please. Contain your shitposting and help people for once, guys. Don't reply to bait.

Can two people connect to a public Mumble server and have a private conversation?

>Are you running wayland, Sup Forums?
Not sure, Sup Forums, there's virtually nothing but GNOME 3.20 that can run in Wayland.
I want i3 Wayland Edition or something.

What's KDE's status on Wayland anyway?

>those shoes
>those pants
>that smile
He was pretty sexy for an autist

never
wayland sucks

Is that a shopped image or is that actually him? I can't tell.

He's not that skinny

So I need a Linux Distro that's easy to use, and riceable/customizable. Someone pick one for me.

Please avoid using the term “photoshop” as a verb, meaning any kind of photo manipulation or image editing in general. Photoshop is just the name of one particular image editing program, which should be avoided since it is proprietary. There are plenty of free programs for editing images, such as the GIMP.

But he looks younger there, and I've seen pictures of him when he was younger and he was skinny.

Sorry, Mr. Stallman

Arch Linux

>inb4 Arch isn't easy
Yes it is

Some options for ya.

>The
>One
>I
>Am
>Using

:)

Wrong. it's the one I'm using. Get your answer right, newfriend

How the fuck do I choose a distro?

Valid point

You use the one I am using. Very simple.

Every distro is riceable, there is no such thing like a distro for ricing.

Is Ubuntu GNOME a good choice? Or should I get something else
>don't say *too or arch

I already answered. It's the one I'm using.

Why not arch? Serious question?

What's so bad about gentoo/funtoo and arch?

you don't

install gentoo

Why not the one I'm using? Serious question.

I gave it a spin with GNOME 3.20 and it was beautiful just for the fact that resizing windows was so smooth and there was no tearing or graphical glitches.

Openbox-like compositor for Wayland, when?!

I just tried Linux-Libre, everything works like a charm, except for the WIFI. Seems there isn't the right module or something. Do I need to go back to vanilla Linux or is there a way to get my WIFI working?

This isn't as funny or witty as you think it is.

>starting a new thread before the previous one isn't even at the bump limit

What's so bad about the one I'm using?
Install the one I'm using.

No need for another bait thread. kys

who /the one I'm using/ here

Only because you're not using the one I'm using.

It's funny the first time, but now it's just getting old. You can stop now.

I don't want Gentoo or Arch because i'm not that good at using GNU/Linux yet and wanna just take a spin and see if I can fully switch from Botnetdows.

The one I'm using master race.

I'll take a repeated joke over distro wars any day of the year

You don't need to be good at Linux to use Arch, just download Antergos and use sudo pacman -s instead of sudo apt-get install

Wayland isn't shit per se. Its rendering model is fine, yes, you loose 'Network transparency' but true Network transparency isn't relevant and didn't exist for a long time anyway, what matter sis whether or not you can do it over the network. Which you can.

What otherwise makes it shit is that in true Freedesktop fashion they once again managed to think in 'use cases' rather than simply providing something that is low level and generic enough to be used as a building block to implement whatever you want more or less, like what X11 has done. xdg-shell, which is a gimped aequivalent of EWMH actually requires the server to implement it in Wayland as some protocol extension whereas EWMH is just built upon the tools X11 provides. The Wayland core protocol by design is gimped as fuck and can't deliver more than powering a facebook machine, you have your windows which have applications in it, that's fucking it, any 'special windows' like toolbars or popups or application launchers can't be implemented in terms of it, which X11 does just fine.

The most infuriating b.s. is that they phrase gimping shit as 'security'. Wayland did not implement the same thing more securely, it just omitted functionality. It's 'more secure' in the same way that a computer which has no internet is 'more secure' than a computer with Telnet rather than what SSH does which is implementing the same functionality in a more secure manner, they just omitted it.

The end result is that in Wayland at the moment you're forced to use a 'desktop environment' and the philosophy of using a lot of standalone tools like a standalone window manager, combine it with a standalone compositing manager, a standalone hotkey daemon and what-not is dead, because Wayland omits the protocols necessary for those things to communicate with each other so they become internal properties of the compositor and therefore not portable.

(cont.)

>the first time
>It's the first time you've seen "the one I'm using"

Your new is showing. It's the default response to avoid shitposting over which distro best distro.

Also, if something breaks in Arch, is it easier to fix then if something breaks in Gentoo? Or is it more controlled?

>(cont.)
stop

The idea that people have about a "beginner distro" is really kind of silly. There's no such thing honestly.

And yes, Sway on Wayland is a desktop environment, it comes with its own hotkey daemon, screenshot tool, toolbar and what not and you cannot exchange these things for standalone tools that provide similar functionality but in a way you like more, itś a locked down fucking prison which is a shame because as said, the rendering model is a lot more sane in this day and age.

And if they didn't think of your use case then you are completely out of luck.

It's garbage befitting of Freedesktop like the usual garbage that Freedesktop tends to generate.

And you know what the most hilarious part is, this is from Freedesktop's own mission statement:

>Users should have a maximum amount of choice in selecting the applications they wish to run. Users should not be limited to a certain subset of applications; ideally, even the components of the desktop environment (window manager, panel, file manager, etc.) would be interchangeable.

Lofty ideals, and maybe they believed that when they first started, but all their members have not believed that in a long time, especially fucking GNOME who glories in it and revels in it with William Jon McCann oozing litres of vaginal fluids at the mere thought of having another way to further limit what users can control about their own system.

Is Antergos better than Manjaro?

STOP

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

Antergos is a installer that rebrands Arch, Manjaro is a distro on its own, based on Arch.

the one I'm using is better

Oh, okay. Well I guess i'll go with Antergos for now then.

Don't use antegros. If you want an installer for arch just use arch-anywhere.

Quads confirmed.

Antergos is closer to Arch than Manjaro and is more bleeding edge, can't say which is better or worse.

There is such a thing, honestly. It's the reason people with common sense and a basic grasp on how the majority of newbies coming from Windows recommend distros such as Ubuntu flavors, openSUSE, Fedora, Manjaro, or (if you don't mind stepping up a notch in tinkering) Debian. That's why people with common sense don't direct newbies to Arch or Gentoo.

Please, don't get meme'd.

please die but checked

Alright then

>Antergos
broken arch installer
>Manjaro
broken arch fork
>the one I'm using
The best. Just the best

*on how the majority of newbies coming from Windows think

And yes, you might try Arch and it might be awesome for you and you might love it, but at the very least, if you don't like it, don't let that sour your impression of Linux in general.

That's all I wanted to say

Anyone?

Seriously. Installing Arch takes 10 minutes by running 10 commands. Even a beginner can copy paste those commands blindly, which was proven a million times in these threads. That said, Arch is a meme. Devs don't care about the users, the Arch way is a meme, kernel comes with all modules enabled, repos are bloated. People think it's 1337 to run Arch because it has no installer, that's why it's so popular. There is no good reason to use Arch.
Install Gentoo.

>People evangelize Arch, a distribution that is completely anti-user, and which is basically a dictatorship on the whims of the devs, giving no choice and extra bloat.
>People advertise memes about Arch being lighter, more customizable, more minimal, modular

Please don't do this. If you're gonna advertise Arch, at least be honest.

So I updated my Debian install today. And now I have a gray transparent band of about an inch width in the left side of screen running all the way from top to bottom, like an overlay over desktop. At first I thought Compton fucked up and killed it. Nope. What's happening?

Also screenshot is worthless because screenshot doesn't show the overlay. I don't have a camera or phone atm. I am pretty sure my screen is not defective because grub menu is just fine. No overlays there. I am sure that the problem lies within my DE which is xfce or something.

Pls halp.

NO
STOP
FULL STOP

LET'S NOT GO DOWN THIS ROAD AGAIN FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME.

Honestly if someone doesn't want to put in the effort to learn about their distro, and they're looking for something like Ubuntu or mint because it just werks then they really shouldn't be looking at Linux at all.

Just my opinion. I don't mean to offend any newcomers here.

xfce is a DE which is notorious for bugs
I don't use it so I can help you, but I hope someone else chimes in. Good luck user

>Mint
At least the lesser evil: Ubuntu. Mint is literally a hacked together pile of shit.

>bloated repos

*can't, sorry

Well, that's alright that that's your opinion. I just happen to think it's harmful to the growth of the Linux community in general if we're so close minded and construct this high bar for entrance

youtube.com/watch?v=O2efSysPvy8

I never said it wasn't

Thanks user. Hope so.

OP here.
I just need a intermediate distribution that can be dual bootable with Windows 10. Please.

the one I'm using

>intermediate distro
What is that? What do you mean?

Every distro that I know of can be dualbooted with Windows 10.

You haven't stated what you're gonna use it for, but I asume just regular home desktop use.

If you're a pragmatic user, Ubuntu is a good choice if you just want it to work without learning much. Any flavor you prefer (GNOME) is one.

If you care about the philosophy behind distros, then Ubuntu is not a god choice. Better to go upstream, and use Debian instead. It's not hard to use, plenty of documentation, and it's a pretty solid distro with three branches: Stable, Testing, and Sid. If you decide to use Debian, know that it might take just a tad more legwork and learning than in Ubuntu, but it might be worth it if you care about the ideological side of things. If you go down that road, know that the best way is to burn a netinstall ISO (with non-free firmware included if you want convenience during install) to a USB, boot from it. During install it even asks you what DE you want (default is GNOME, uncheck "Debian DE" if you don't want GNOME). When install is done, you will have Stable. Now move to Testing branch once it is installed (if it's for desktop use). And there ya go.

But again: this is only worth doing if you care about the philosophical/ideological side of things. If you don't give a flying fuck, then maybe you can save yourself the hassle by using Ubuntu GNOME.

*Any flavor you prefer (Ubuntu GNOME is one, they just change the default DE)
*If you care about the philosophy, then Ubuntu is not a good choice

Sorry, typos are going crazy today for me

Alright, thanks. Yes, desktop use. I just want to get into Linux and see if after I can switch from Windows 10.

Also with Ubuntu, should I get the LTS or the regular version?

found this;
wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Mumbleguide/English#Whisper
not certain if it's secure though. it's not hard to run your own mumble server

what some lightweight, easy, stable distro?

What do you use on win10?

Photoshop, Sony Movie Studio Platinum (it's like Sony Vegas but a bit less complicated), general Windows software.

That's up to you. LTS is if you don't want to reinstall it until much later down the line. Regular version is if you don't mind updating your whole OS to a new version every year or so.

READ. ABOVE.
It gets irritating to answer the same questions every single thread, multiple times.

Stick with Windows

Could some kind anons extend this list?

>Did you fell for the memes? Make the test:

>Did you fell for the Linux Mint just werks meme?
lwn.net/Articles/676664/
zdnet.com/article/linux-mint-website-hacked-malicious-backdoor-version/
arstechnica.com/security/2016/02/linux-mint-hit-by-malware-infection-on-its-website-and-forum-after-hack-attack/
techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/

>Did you fell for The Arch Way meme?

>Did you fell for the Manjaro is insecure and holds back packages meme?
manjaro.github.io/expired_SSL_certificate_update/
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2bxt4p/debunking_manjaro_myths_las_322/

>Dis you fell for the Debian has only outdated packages meme?
debian.org/releases/stable/
debian.org/releases/testing/
debian.org/releases/sid/

>I want i3 Wayland Edition
swaywm.org/

nice meme

>Did you fell
>Make the test
Basic english, familia. You don't conjugate a double past tense. It's "Did you fall". And you *do* a test, you don't *make* it, unless you're actually writing the questions. Also, use quotation marks for phrases inside a sentence.

I used mint and i would like to use something different now. But something as light as mint.

Thanks.

Try Debian. Next question.

>lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

I don't see anything wrong with this

That's good. And I agree, the title the guy you quoted it from put on it is misleading.

I feel that that mail in particular should be publicized, not for generating bad press for Arch, but for generating HONEST press about Arch. I absolutely hate people who don't know what the hell they're talking about recommending a distro based on memes and hearsay. If you're gonna recommend a distro, then recommend it based on what it actually is and how it is actually developed.

If Arch devs make these decisions and pave the way for Arch development this way, then that's a-okay. And it's important to make it clear how they plan to run things, so that people can decide whether they wanna use it or not based on that.

If you feel that's fine, then power to you.

But what is not good is for that information to be hidden away and for people to not realize how the distro actually works and how it's ran and managed.

I just like bleeding edge, is there any other distro that does it better than Arch

(cont'd)
Thus the importance of variety of philosophies in the Linux world. If you like how the Arch devs handle things, awesome. If you prefer how Debian devs handle things, then that's awesome too. The cool thing is that you can actually pick and choose from the vast number of projects to see whose ideology you agree with the most.

Nice.

DEFINE BETTER
PLEASE STOP USING AMBIGUOUS TERMS SUCH AS "EASY" "INTERMEDIATE" "BETTER". Define what you mean.

Not really. But yes.

gentoo

Being more bleeding edge, dipshit

Other bleeding distros:
Debian Sid, Fedora