ESXi for dualbooting W10 and Arch

Asked this in /wsr/ a while ago, someone replied, now i dont know

My parts arrived for my new itx baby
>i5-6500, RX480, 16GB RAM, 256GB 950 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD, 2TB HDD

done with w10 and want to try Arch. I'd still like to keep W10 for my vidya. wiki.archlinux says I just have to install windows first, decrease w10 partition size, boot arch from usb and install on remaining space left. Then use a bootloader to chose what to boot
Plan is to equally divide the SSD size and use the HDD purely for Arch

user on /wsr/ told me to use VMWare ESXi, but I'm unsure as to how this will exactly work. Doesn't VSphere require an extra pc to connect to the host which runs ESXi?

What is the best way to get this done?

Other urls found in this thread:

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162768
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Avoid dualboot and use KVM VGA-Passthrough to play games. This way you can get 97% performance of dual boot but don't have to restart.

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162768

This is great, but it may be a little advanced for OP

Is arch gonna be your first linux distro? if so try some other more begginer-friendly distro first.

If it's not and you're unsure about the partition scheme:
-To decrease the w10 partition graphically you can use the windows tool or boot a live gparted usb, or any distro live usb as long as it has gparted.
You can also format your new partitions there or you can follow the arch begginers guide

-To mount your boot partition during the installation process, first mount your root partition and creat a boot folder inside it, then mount the boot partition inside that folder.

Again, this is your first linux experience, try somehing else, Arch is great, but it's not something to have as a first distro.

If you really want arch choose Manjaro or Antergos which is basically arch with a graphical installer and extra repos.

Once you've acquainted yourself with linux, you can try the bare-bones install of just arch.

but I still use Antergos for their extra repos

Thanks, kind user. I'll be using the iGPU the first month or so and buy the RX480 then due to availability and budget issues.
It says it requires two GPU's and that Intel iGPU is not supported though.

I've spend a few hours in Ubuntu but Arch is going to be my first actual distro. The goal is to learn a ton through trial/error, lots of frustration and troubleshooting.

If knowledge through pain is what you are truly seeking then LFS will be right up your alley :)

Fucking this.

Don't bother with dual booting. Have your own boxed Windows for games instead.

Looks way harder then it is. I did this when I never had used Arch before and took me 4 hours.

You need a igpu and a normal gpu (Rx480 for example). The igpu will be used by the linux system and the normal gpu will be used by the kvm-qemu. Don't bother with 1 igpu then just use dual boot.

Thanks for the pic

Four hours is no problem. I've multiple days I'm willing to spend on it to figure it all out.
Will the dedicated GPU be deactivated whenever I'm using Arch and only activate in the VM, or will the dGPU just deactivate on Arch and activate in the VM whenever the VM is loaded?

>Looks way harder then it is
Are you talking about arch or gpu passthrough?

If it's the latter, that's true, but as OP said
>I've spend a few hours in Ubuntu but Arch is going to be my first actual distro

I'd go first with dual-booting and after you get used to linux (in any distro, the core will be preety much the same), then go for the whole windows VM thing.
GPU passthrough is great, and, as mentioned before, not as hard as it looks, but it's still not easy, specially for a begginer.

I've been running a windows VM inside arch for a couple of months now, the most annoying thing was to get the sound right, it wasn't hard, but it was a lot of testing.

>Will the dedicated GPU be deactivated whenever I'm using Arch and only activate in the VM, or will the dGPU just deactivate on Arch and activate in the VM whenever the VM is loaded?
It will only activate once the VM starts and it will only interact with Windows. Once you shut it down the card will be unused again. Arch cannot use the dedicated GPU in any way shape or form, only the VM can use it.

Basically you install the NVIDIA drivers on the Windows VM and use it as normal. Just like if you had installed Windows on the metal.

Might sound complicated and crippling, but it really isn't, I'm using it myself and the Intel GPU works perfectly for any Linux task, while the GPU is used for games.

Have you used any flavor of Linux yet with your IGPU?
It's a buggy fucked up mess and I doubt it will work.

I haven't had any problems on Manjaro. I'm on Devil's Canyon though so it's not Memelake or cutting edge.

Adding to the IGP I think there used to be an issue with Chrome/Chromium or something but I don't use the Google Botnet and use the SJW botnet (FF).

dont fucking bother, esxi is not meant to be used that way.

just dual boot so you can be a special snowflake and fit in here

Well thanks for the worthless reply, fucko. And since when is a cpu that's been on the market for damn near 1 year cutting edge?
On Manjaro also.

>not using ESXi
laughingsluts.jpg

>It's a buggy fucked up mess
What shitty distro are you on? I've never had a problem on arch.

>Ignores the "or"

>RX 480
>Arch
He isn't switching to Linux.

You have to be really careful with that, your CPU can EASILY bottleneck your GPU with that setup. My I5-4460 can only push a max of around 50% of my GPU in even non CPU intensive games, you have to be sure your hardware can handle it otherwise you'll be disappointed and waiting to buy upgrades like me.

>unironically using arch
Jesus christ, use a fucking real distro.
Even a "pleb" distro like Ubuntu is more usable than Arch, which is nothing more than a toy distro that is never used in the real world.

post screenfetch then

Literally all of them. I guess you've never dealt with the HDMI bug or the case open bug.

Fuck off

OP was referring to a skylake system, not Devil's Canyon, retard.

>post screenfetch then
why?

>Literally all of them.
Lies.

>I guess you've never dealt with the HDMI bug or the case open bug.
Nope, never had that

Fuck off

Tried Mint, Ubuntu, Open Suse, Fedora (I got that working...briefly) Debian (worked for a bit, too much screen tearing).
You don't have a Skylake system, so you have no idea what you are talking about.
To get Skylake to even fucking boot, I had to buy a refurb gt 720. Why? HDMI output is broken. Now most of the major distros wont even boot because of a case open bug. Yes, that's right, a mechanical security feature black screens the install. Linux is a fucking mess with Skylake

>Ubuntu
>usable
Lol

Why so salty?
I think you must be overthinking your shit, as I said, never had a problem with it.

>To get Skylake to even fucking boot, I had to buy a refurb gt 720. Why? HDMI output is broken

Are you sure you didn't bought a broken mobo?

>one of the most popular server distros
>fairly widely used as far as linux desktops go
>not usable

Question to you anons that have done gpu passthrough.

How long until I have to redo everything due to things breaking up?
I have heard some horror stories about it and I didn't really want to do on my main system for obvious reasons.

I would love something extremely stable that would let me run stuff on windows VM from time to time.
I can't really be bothered with something that will require tweaking and reinstalling every 4 months when some system update breaks the entire distro.

I've been using gpu passhtrough for about three months now, until now I haven't had the need to change anything.

>The only Linux distribution that normies know
>this means it is usable
Lol m8. Ubuntu is the worst that GNU/Linux has to offer. It suffers from highly visible bugs that have been around literally for years, it's packages aren't indexed properly, nautilus loses features with every release, it has the worst performance (along with Kubuntu) of all GNU/Linux distributions, 16.04 is the buggiest version yet. There is nothing that turns more newcomers away from Linux like Ubuntu.

no it was a bug I had. There are currently 65 Skylake graphics bugs right now. W7 worked fine with HDMI, Fedora 4.3& Debian testing 4.5xx worked fine but the HD530 drivers are non-existent/functioning, and the open-source nouveau sucked so hard I was forced back to w7. I have waited MONTHS to find someone with a skylake system on linux with the Intel drivers(hd530) in s screenfetch thread or something. Dosen't exist. Unicorn.

agreed. Trash.

Manjaro is amazing.