Redpill me on ultra-wide monitors

redpill me on ultra-wide monitors

They radiate estrogen

40" 4k > 34" 3440x1440

So? 40" 21x9 > 40" 16x9.

most games don't have native support
some are moddable, a lot aren't
google 21:9 + the games, you have and you'll probably find forum posts of people trying to figure out how to make them work

Get yourself a cup of tea and take a seat. Let's start with the basics. Monitors have two dimensions, width (x) and height (y). In the distant past, most monitors were of a squarish format (5:4), or 4:3 so the dimensions can be combined together to give you the diagonal:

d = sqrt(x^2 + y^2)

Making cathode ray tubes as square as possible made manufacturing more efficient, so these formats dominated. The reason for this is to scan across the same diagonal distance at the same rate (50/60Hz) took a large electric and magnetic field, thus larger coils and plates. For this reason, wide screen televisions were more expensive to produce thus were perceived to be of higher value, since you could watch theatre style movies without the "black bars".

Thus back then you could compare apples to apples when it came to marketed "screen size" and wide screens were in their own categories.

Then, a cancer called TFT LCDs popped into the market. Those low contrast monitors had a production cost that was a function of area rather than overall size. This is the key to understanding why manufacturers jumped on the wide screen bandwagon. Wide screens were already perceived to be "higher value" because of the CRT days and on top of that, only the diagonal of the screen was stated. Now, the area of a monitor is given by:

A = x * y

Let's consider the aspect ratio of a screen (it's "wideness"), e.g the horrible 16:9 you get these days. This is basically:

r = x / y

You can express the area of a monitor in terms of only its diagonal and its area:

A = d^2 r / (r^2 + 1)

i.e the trend is for the area to be a function of d^2 / r. THUS, for any diagonal size you can increase the ratio until the area shrinks to zero and still market it as that diagonal.

This explains the reason why they're selling these pieces of shit. Because they market them based on diagonals, not area. And no idiot consumer can understand what I wrote above.

Demand area measurements, you'll get sane aspect ratios.

i have a x34 and it is great.

That doesnt exist, there was just announced today a 38" 3840x1600 ultrawide though.

Fantastic post. I learned something. Now I understand why the 21:9 bandwagon even exists, since the aspect ratio is inherently pretty pointless.

Worst thing is the way things are going they'll manage to ruin laptops further by making the screens even wider (16:9).

I'm hoping that the 3:2 Chromebook pixel screen will sway people towards better, more practical aspect ratios. I'm on 16:10 right now, but not by choice.

Meh, I'm on 256:135 and I honestly can't say I care a whole lot about minor aspect ratio fluctuations.

Widescreen is pretty comfortable for me especially as a glasses wearer because it pretty snugly fits into the aperture that I actually use for vision (through my lenses).

I tried a curved ultrawide 144hz monitor not too long ago and it was possibly the best monitor experience I have had. Its like having two screens without any border and then like 10x better than that because its curved. I've never been able to use my 3 monitors again without feeling uncomfortable.

They are awesome because it's like having two square-ish screens side-by-side without bezels.

But Sup Forums hates them because Sup Forums is a poor NEET who can't afford them.

This is true. 21:9 fanboys don't talk a lot about how most games aren't supported, they only talk about how support is growing, etc. etc.

I have one, and don't get me wrong. The witcher, and crysis 3 look fantastic on it. but for games and movies it can be a bit of a pain. At the very least you're in for some tinkering.

Need to weigh the benefits of playing/watching in 21:9 vs the downsides of sometimes having no options other than black bars on the side. It was definitely more of a pain that I expected, but I still like it.

>256:135
Jesus Christ. Do you actually do any work? That's impossible to deal with, unless it's huge and you're using it as a split screen.

Don't you just get black borders to the sides?

Binned 4k monitors that had bad pixels. Allows them to crop the screen and sell.

Why would you want one?

>The downsides of sometimes having no options other than black bars on the side

That's what I said.

4096×2160 is 256:135

it's probably around 40-46"

>ruin laptops further by making the screens even wider

You mean making laptops better?

Because a 21:9 laptop would fit much nicer into backpacks.
So for the same portability you'd get the same screen height, but extra width.

Damn is there any way we could get 16:10 back

>Because a 21:9 laptop would fit much nicer into backpacks.
That's what you consider better?

Fucking hell do you actually get work done on your machines?

How would you write with a screen that wide? Have you ever picked up a book in your life? How do the lines run? That's right, they're narrow compared to the height of the text.

>So for the same portability you'd get the same screen height, but extra width.

Fucking wrong, read this

I can fit at most a 14" 16:9 laptop into my backpack.
If it was a 16:10 laptop, I could fit a 13.5" max.
But with a 21:9 laptop I could fit a 15", possibly even a 16"

Might as well stick with 4k. Normies are going to push that to be the resolution everything uses just like normies killed 16:10.

overwatch works, pretty much all that matters

>But with a 21:9 laptop I could fit a 15", possibly even a 16"
a 15" 21:9 laptop yes, but you seem to be limited by height.
That's not a failure of the screen. That's the limitation of your backpack.

By the looks of it you are using it to watch movies or something. That's not what most people use laptops for.

Isn't 5K already more common with computer screens?

It's 31.5" and I get more work done than before.

There are two 5k displays that I know of, the apple one, and the dell one.

On the other hand there are 30+ 4k monitors on the market

No?

16:9 1440p 27" or 16:10 1200p 24"?

General usage

>That's the limitation of your backpack.

EXACTLY!

Now you get it.
My backpack is 55cm tall and 23cm wide.
Which is 21.5 : 9

So it would fit like a glove around a 23x54cm, 21:9 laptop.

Why would I want to leave empty space?
So I can have a smaller screen area.....why I exactly?

>By the looks of it you are using it to watch movies or something.

Nope, I only use it for software development.

The 1440p is objectively a better option.

People debating are talking about arguably similar monitors in some respect. You're not benefiting from 16:10 when your monitor's displaying less no matter what.

Overwatch doesn't work properly though.
You still get the same FoV as someone playing the game at 16:9, so it's like playing while looking through a telescope.

FoV is fine for me. I know a lot of other games make it really telescope-y but desu it looks normal on OW. maybe I should try playing in 16:9 again and then see if it's just cause I've gotten used to seeing it stretched.

look at the real estate available at your workstation

what axis is the most premium, width, height, or depth?

depth, right?
we moved away from CRT displays not because LCD displays had better picture (because they didn't), but because CRT was taking up too much of the desk

so now you're looking at "ultra-wide" monitors?
but the next axis that is the most premium is width
why are you doing that? why would you deliberately be buying a ultra-short screen?
is the available height in your workspace so low where you need it for the ceiling clearance?
no of course it isn't

stick to 16:10 displays

>redpill
Fuck off and die.

>You're not benefiting from 16:10 when your monitor's displaying less no matter what.

This is the opinion of a sane person.

It's not the opinion of Sup Forums.

I'm exaggerating with the telescope thing, but you lose a lot of vertical height. It matters a lot in Overwatch since verticality plays a big part in most of the maps.

Why would anyone pick a laptop based on the specs of their backpack and not the other way around?

14" is definitely more than enough for your wordpress "developing."

Perfect for no-scoping though...

I think it's funny how blizzard complains that ultrawide gives unfair advantage, so instead of figuring out a way to balance it, lets gimp the people using ultrawide instead. If it gives an advantage (which it probably does), then the competitive people will migrate to it. That's like saying that m/kb gives you an advantage over controller, so if you have to you can, but you can only aim with the arrow keys.

That's the nicest thing anybody has ever said to me.

>Why would anyone pick a laptop based on the specs of their backpack and not the other way around?

It's not just my backpack, pretty much every backpack is around 21:9

>14" is definitely more than enough for your wordpress "developing."

We have 27" screens at the office.

Would love to upgrade to 30" 21:9 in the future.

I'm trans so I think I can live with that.

>not shifting your animu subs off the image

Only a pleb who can't utilize the glory of 16:10 would spout such inane nonsense

Cool, what kind of expresso machine do you have at work?

>expresso

Espresso.
This one.

Kill yourself, lefty.

I like my 34" 21:9, but it definitely has problems with support from games.

In the end two things matter: Area and ppi.

The aspect ratio scam is just to minimize cost while selling something as "bigger screen" because people are retarded.

Jewish consiracy

That's a damn good machine

you get some nice crema out of that boss?

I only use the freshest, man-made crema available ;)

Garbage logic, a 26" 16:10 is already at its near maximum useful vertical resolution, anything taller makes it just a pain in the ass to use. People look sideways, not up. Ultra-wide, with decent vertical space, is the logical next step.

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

thicc

>Redpill ebin maymay
>Another le ebin redpill meme :-))))))) thread le matrix XDDDD

LOL REDPILL XDDD RED PILL ME(ME) LOL I LOVE THE REDPILL MEME
AHH LE NOT MAINING MEMe :)

le charlie epic random wildcard fake vidya xd tv/ editon ;^^^)

gentleman :---)

XD
D
LOL
O

[YouTube] Epic sax guy 10 hours (embed) [YouTube] Epic sax guy 10 hours (embed)
[YouTube] Epic sax guy 10 hours (embed) ]

PIZZA ROLLS r DONE!!!
le epic so ebin dae le epin win xD pwn’d ftw le bacon narwhale xP
*unsheathes katana*
wellllllllll m’goodsir, I think u thought u had me beat, but wacht this !!!!
*charges up energy*
*goes super sainant*
*farts*
*raises paw*
hhmmmmmmmmm.......

XD NINJAS RAWR PIE CAKE IS A LIE XDDD

xD xD
[YouTube] eiffel65 im blue 10 hours (embed)

AYYLMSOOOO
Y
YY
YY
Y
YY
Y
Y
L
M
A
OAYYYYLMAO

le epic so ebin dae le epin win xD pwn’d ftw le bacon narwhale xP

le epin troll i coax youed int o al e ruxze xD D D tfw no gf xD ayy lmao! :p
>>>
upboated good sir i tip my fedora to you, fine gentlemen le real men have class xD real human bean!!1 dae cake is a lie lel
epic fail!!!!!!!! ;p for YOU!! :DDD XD we r :)

A
Y
A
O
AYY LMAO

HE
E

epic simply epic :^) i tip my hat to u sir

*tips fedora*

lol cool 1 bro i almost piss mystlelf in lafter xD
gud joke man

##wreckt

my sides r in space :)

>le maymay arrow
is this a le new epic meme? screen kapped for dat sweet karma xD. FUS ROH DAH!!!!!1 i used to be a christmas but then i took an arrow 2 da knee :^(
BAZINGA BAZINGA ZIMBABWE. top kek, toppest of keks. le rick from pawn stars? hahahaha le mayonaise
fucking epic ass meme

i like this bot

kys

>bot

You may think so because of the robotic style, but in reality it's just some autist

B-BAZINGA XD

PPI is essentially irrelevant, what matters is angular resolution and that depends on screen size, resolution and viewing distance

what monitor didja get?

someone rec me a decent cheap 1080p ips monitor