>2016
>not using NVME
>Still on SATA III
>Mechanical HDD

If you have a mechanical HDD you should kill yourself.

Other urls found in this thread:

theregister.co.uk/2016/08/30/samsung_pm1725a_ssd_release_vmworld/
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ok

If you're on Sup Forums reading this right now you should kill yourself.

not until you go outside

Yes, everyone should definitely be on some form of non-mechanical storage by now.
The difference compared to HDD is massive.

It's crazy how fast storage tech has moved in the last few years.

theregister.co.uk/2016/08/30/samsung_pm1725a_ssd_release_vmworld/

Samsung just pushed out this 1 million IOPS drive, that can take 5 full writes a day for 5 years.
That's insane.
Can't wait to see what Xpoint has to offer when it comes out.

If your PV is in standby there is no reason to get a SSD.
Got one from Intel on my laptop but only for the reliability. Shit IOPS but reliable.

>tfw have SATA III SSD connected to SATA II controller with two SATA III drives connected to SATA I and a few USB3 drives connected to USB2 ports

Let me know when they come in 8TB for $250 in a single drive.

>256gb m2 drive with operating system and games/programs I use regularly on it
>1tb hdd for storage

Why would I spend the money on a larger ssd when they have a higher failure rate and the speed of an ssd isnt really important because I dont use the files all that much?

Specs?

>C2D E8335
>6GB RAM
>ATi Radeon HD 2600 Pro
>240GB SSD

>dual 2GHz IBM PowerPC 970MPs (G5s)
>4GB RAM
>4TB HDD
>1.5TB HDD
>2x 1TB HDDs

I have my two SSDs connected to SATA III controllers because I only have a Z68 mobo.

>Y2K + 16
>Not knowing how tiered storage works
Sure buddy, right after you...

>spending $300 for 1tb of storage cause its faster
Yeah, no thanks. I can get 4 1tb mechanical drives and still have money left over. My computer accesses files pretty quickly and boot time isn't a concern since I'm not autistic.

>mfw using Sata II ssd on Sata III capable machine

But I'm using a 512GB Samsung 950 Pro NVME m2

>Needing 4TB of space
>Buying a 1TB SSD
Pick none.

>implying there's anything wrong with having 4TB storage
I've got 8TB and am upgrading to 16TB soon

For what purpose
Why do you data hoard

I'm downloading every episode of every show I could ever possibly want to watch. Once I run out of ideas I'm going to work on downloading every movie I could ever want to watch. A better question is why the hell not? Storage is cheap as fuck.

that's crazy!

There comes a point when time searching for shows should be spent watching shows. Hoarding indefinitely is for young people who don't understand the transience of life.

It's probably taken less than one TV show worth of time to add all these shows to my torrent client, get the fuck out of here with your bullshit.

>Why the hell not?
Because it's usually not a very long wait to find and download a season of whatever I want to watch. It's highly unlikely that all sources for a given piece of media will disappear, so I don't see the point in hoarding and wasting time hoarding.

Hoarding shit like Windows 7 ISOs for example is valuable because those would have disappeared forever if no one had them tucked away.

Generally it's just a waste of space to hoard things. Especially Chinese cartoons and television.

I like to shuffle everything, can't do that with your method. It's nice if that works for you but it doesn't for me.
>Generally it's just a waste of space to hoard things. Especially Chinese cartoons and television.
I agree with Chinese cartoons but TV shows that are actually good I don't see the issue with.

Its always a pretty good move to have a ssd just for your OS and lock it

Well I guess you're not hurting anything by doing. Just can't understand the mindset for hoarding things other than academic journals or textbooks.

How else do I shuffle all of the TV shows I'd want to watch?

Why do you shuffle television? Is it not more enjoyable to watch a series's episodes consecutively?

Most of the shows I watch don't have a continuing story from episode to episode.

>home servers don't exist
We're on Sup Forums and the concept of having large amounts of storage for media doesn't make sense to you?

Look I'm not against SSD at all, but with the prices being so high it's really only worth it to buy a small one and use it for your OS.

my samsung ssd unexpectedly died after 1 yr (CoD: a few power interruptions/bad luck?). Never lost an HDD.

not saying you're wrong performance-wise, but HDDs have a much better shelf-life

No they don't. You just didn't have a UPS because you're retarded. SSDs will outlive you with normal usage. Hard drives don't usually last more than a decade at most.

Flash storage is volatile, unlike magnetic. What do you do with 1TB+ of data on an SSD?

>he fell for SSD meme
enjoy your data loss cuck

>It's highly unlikely that all sources for a given piece of media will disappear

I'll bet you leech The Big Bang Theory

>transience of life
TV is just a nice coping mechanism for avoidance of things that matter in life. Same thing as collecting media

>You just didn't have a UPS because you're retarded. SSDs will outlive you with normal usage.
What part of your ass are you pulling that out of?

are UPS's the norm for Sup Forums? I schlep'd on that $60

I doubt current SSDs are engineered to live 10yrs. It's up-and-coming tech (NAND burnout, etc)

>power interruptions
This means you didn't have an UNINTERRUPTIBLE POWER SUPPLY.
>are UPS's the norm for Sup Forums?
The only people I know without them are utter normalfags that think power failure will never happen to them, or they only use laptops.
SSDs will live for a very long time with normal write usage. Planned obsolescence is a meme.

the wiki-rectal area, probably near the 'solid state memory' article

except battlestations aren't using the EEPROM used in ICs

>NVME
SSDs that use that interface are double the price for the same space. I'd buy one, but I'll wait first.

I'm saying the nice engineers are doing their best, which is only like ~8 years atm

Where are you getting 8tb HDDs for $250?

>seagate

>using externals for anything but long term storage
WEW

>using hard drives for long term storage