Why don't movies/albums come on SD cards?

Why aren't there SD card movie/audio players?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SlotMusic
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TVACI4G
statista.com/statistics/484583/global-average-selling-price-smartphones/
pcworld.com/article/2999631/phones/pew-survey-shows-68-percent-of-americans-now-own-a-smartphone.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It seems like they could have done this 10 years ago if they had wanted.

CDs are cheaper and the common smuck cant tell the difference between audio quality

>inb4 apple introduces a new proprietary portable external storage similar to the SD card and releases music on it for their ipods and iphones but both devices are locked down to only read files downloaded from the apple store thus making it impossible to store pictures/documents on it. oh, apps can't be stored there either, cuz apple

Direct downloads are a thing now and CDs/DVDs are still cheaper than SD cards.

Most people download/stream their shitty movies/music so physical media is going out of fashion. Soon the prices of CDs/DVDs will skyrocket as companies clear out their last stock of these ancient artifacts.

So what? SD's are smaller.

You can fit a hundred of 'em in a old fashioned stapler. Plus you can port them into a cell phone, unlike CD's.

So we will have 128TB micro sd cards by 2023, yeah?

People are sick of streaming and cloud media. It turned out to be a huge turd. Its filled with proprietary hurdles and is incredibly inconvenient to work with.

I don't want to watch a fullscreen movie on my fucking 5" wide smartphone screen. I don't want to go to a dozen different servers to download music because of proprietary shenanigans. If the public was even aware it was possible for a smart phone of media player to use SD's, they would shovel their cash straight up your companies ass.

Price is still an issue. You can either buy [10] 50GB blu-ray discs or a [1] 64GB SD card for ~$20. Obviously no one in their right mind would use SD cards for commercial use.

Nobody wants to deal with a dozen different OS's. I mean ffs, chromebooks? Laptops with no external usb ports? What the fuck is the industry thinking?

They got their heads so far up Steve Jobs ass their eating worms out of his esophagus.

Actually they did.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SlotMusic

>People are sick of streaming and cloud media. It turned out to be a huge turd. Its filled with proprietary hurdles and is incredibly inconvenient to work with.
Nigger what? I stopped pirating music because Spotify is so much easier.

The only reason they are priced that way is because some idiot is trying to recoup the sunk cost of R&D by ignoring the PPU and charging outrageous amounts of money for something that costs pennies to produce.

Oh bullshit.

If I want to buy 3 seperate albums I have to go to amazons cloud, i-tunes cloud, and then burn a copy of an indy label and load it into my media player.

Why in the hell did we bother creating a universal audio format if no ones allowed to use it?

>People are sick of streaming and cloud media. It turned out to be a huge turd. Its filled with proprietary hurdles and is incredibly inconvenient to work with.
True, this would explain the surge in piracy.

>I don't want to watch a fullscreen movie on my fucking 5" wide smartphone screen. I don't want to go to a dozen different servers to download music because of proprietary shenanigans.
You don't have to, just pirate your shit directly to your laptop/desktop.

>If the public was even aware it was possible for a smart phone of media player to use SD's, they would shovel their cash straight up your companies ass.
They know but they use microsd cards for more convenience for on the go pirating. Media players are pretty much dead at this point, those still downloading old DivX shit do it because they have a 2012 ipod or something.

Anyway pirating is probably gonna get really profitable and popular from now on since streaming shit turned out to be such a fucking let down.

I bet you sure as shit they got sued into oblivion by some media conglomerates patent troll lawyers.

>The current selection of songs comes from Universal Music Group, Sony BMG, Warner Music Group and EMI Music.

Are you fucking kidding me?

The average teenager doesn't even know how to turn his smart phone off, much less transfer pirated media to it. With all the garbage OS's people are stuck with phones they don't know how to jailbreak with hundreds of proprietary aps that all do the exact same fucking thing. (namely sucking money out of your wallet for something that you should be able to use for free)

How many tech people even OWN a smartphone these days? Who the fuck wants to spend 200 dollars on cable/ phone service?

Smartphones are basically 200-500 dollar bricks, they have all the hardware capability of a laptop and none of the functionality.

People need to stop treating them like phones and pretending like a monkey could use them and acknoledge what they really are, small computers with overspecialized software.

>As of mid-2011, SanDisk's website lists a total of 14 albums available in the SlotMusic format.

maybe you should read the whole thing, dipshit

Holy shit are you retarded

Think about. A store that sells audio CD's could save literally several hundred feet of floor space by condensing them to SD cards.

Instead of 2'x2'x6" brick of DVD media player they could be using something the size of an ash tray. You could keep all your media organized in a tray the size of Hard Disk Drive.

are YOU?!

Pressing a CD costs basically nothing
An SD card however has to be manufactured, formatted and filled
And old music players and even many smartphones don't have an SD slot

Young people do have any god damn money. Old people are the ones buying all this garbage, and 90% of the time they don't have a fucking clue what they are buying or why, they just know it makes their kids happy.

Technology has become a fucking fashion statement, the people who own these devices don't have clue how to operate them, they just want to look like a wizard and show off to all their friends.

Yeah, but 8/16 will be most common for $20

T. Steve cocks

>The average teenager doesn't even know how to turn his smart phone off, much less transfer pirated media to it. With all the garbage OS's people are stuck with phones they don't know how to jailbreak with hundreds of proprietary aps that all do the exact same fucking thing. (namely sucking money out of your wallet for something that you should be able to use for free)
Most people use Android phones which are a download away in the playstore from being capable of torrenting. The average teenager can eventually figure out how to click through a few things to get his shitty yify rips.

>How many tech people even OWN a smartphone these days?
Pretty much everyone.

>Who the fuck wants to spend 200 dollars on cable/ phone service?
They don't. A lot of people are opting for unlimited high speed data plans on their phones and calling it a day (60-90/month).

>Smartphones are basically 200-500 dollar bricks, they have all the hardware capability of a laptop and none of the functionality.
You'd be surprised, they can pirate/play video just fine.

CD's have be manufactured from 99% pure silicon boules. They have to be pressed, their magnetic tracks formatted with a precision laser, their boot sector loaded and programmed to be compatible with the latest firmware.

The only reason its so inexpensive to mass produce CD's is because of the massive investiture of infrastructure that has been set into doing so.

>The average teenager doesn't even know how to turn his smart phone off, much less transfer pirated media to it. With all the garbage OS's people are stuck with phones they don't know how to jailbreak with hundreds of proprietary aps that all do the exact same fucking thing. (namely sucking money out of your wallet for something that you should be able to use for free)
>Most people use Android phones which are a download away in the playstore from being capable of torrenting.

Yeah. Except there is no file structure or folders for you to shuffle files from app to app. Each app has a seperate folder where it keeps all its data and until you jailbreak your phone or load its sd card into a REAL computer you can't even touch that shit.

The average teenager can eventually figure out how to click through a few things to get his shitty yify rips.
>yeah, which is why they pay 2x 3x as much for proprietary hardware that has half the functionality of a normal cell phone

>How many tech people even OWN a smartphone these days?
Horseshit. 90% of the world can't even afford to buy a cell phone.

>Who the fuck wants to spend 200 dollars on cable/ phone service?
They don't. A lot of people are opting for unlimited high speed data plans on their phones and calling it a day (60-90/month).

So you think somebody making 20-40 k a year is going to somehow be able to afford a 90 dollar a month service plan on top of home phone, home tv cable and home internet access, all without even knowing how to set up a router or hook up multiple machines to the same cable network?

Get real, computer cuck

>Smartphones are basically 200-500 dollar bricks, they have all the hardware capability of a laptop and none of the functionality.
You'd be surprised, they can pirate/play video just fine.

Also, where do you think all this bandwidth is coming from, chucklefuck?

We had to give up our Wireless television access and switch to cable television in order to support 4g networks.

The EM spectrum has a limited amount of frequency bandwidth. Pretty soon your going to start pushing up on the upper limits of what physics can do.

This is literally what SD was made for. The original idea never took off but the storage standard was perfectly serviceable.

Holy shit nigger do you even know what an Android phone is? Have you ever even used one?

Why are you even bringing up iPhones in this conversation? They hold less than 15% marketshare right now and it's getting lower, they're pretty much irrelevant.

I mean, if anything, portable hardware storage media result in MORE bandwidth, with faster rates of transfer between users, making your internet connect FASTER, because your not streaming 8 GB downloads of Batman Begins or something like that.

>Thinks 15% market share of literally ANYTHING is insignificant
>Citing a 2-4 year trend
>Not taking into account ipad and touchscreen sales

>smartphones are expensive and nobody can afford them
lolwut?

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TVACI4G

specs:
2390 mAh battery
LTE + Spark LTE
4.5" 540p screen
5MP camera
SD 410 SoC (4 A53 cores @ 1.2 GHz)
8GB ROM + msd slot/ 1GB RAM
$39

>>Thinks 15% market share of literally ANYTHING is insignificant
>>Citing a 2-4 year trend
>>Not taking into account ipad and touchscreen sales
We're talking about phones you mong. iPhones are pretty much meme smartphones, that's just how it is. What are you, a paid apple shill?

*$38

>amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TVACI4G
Thinking that an exception somehow proves the rule

statista.com/statistics/484583/global-average-selling-price-smartphones/

>So you think somebody making 20-40 k a year is going to somehow be able to afford a 90 dollar a month service plan on top of

>home phone
Nobody has that anymore

>home internet access
This is what phones are replacing. If you have LTE where you live you can probably find a mobile carrier that will give you unlimited high speed LTE for $60-90 a month. Your average bandwidth would hover around 10-20 Mbps especially if you live near or inside a city. That's plenty enough for pirating and watching youtube videos.

Negro what does the average price of a smartphone have to do with affordability? This is one of the main reasons Android holds close to 90% marketshare, it caters to the poor, rich, and those in between.

they already did something like this for music wayy back in the day

Streaming is literally THEE most inefficient means of transferring media in terms of bandwidth, time, energy, and cost.

We should save our bandwidth for important things, like low impact data feeds that don't eat up massive amounts of pipeline, essential news services and important industry software updates.

Not to mention streaming eats up the most limited resource of all, the users attention span.

I'm not talking about some Hong Kong backdoor red market prototype being sold by korean gangsters as a fucking shopping mall kiosk.

I'm talking about a major brand name funding and backing a major industry push for this hardware, taking up real shelf space in real stores. I'm talking Hitachi and Samsung. I'm talking real 80's VCR gangbuster type HuSSLe, u know what i mean?

I mean, hell, CD's were already out by the time VHS hit the shelves. People still prefer to go to a real store and browse and select music sold by a real person, even if it is more inefficient than amazon sales.

People like having something they can touch and can feel and doesn't seem like futura spooky ashitto if you know what i mean.

Nah that would torrenting especially since you can LITERALLY stream while you torrent your shit. It's a one time thing where you can seed if you're nice too.

>I mean, hell, CD's were already out by the time VHS hit the shelves. People still prefer to go to a real store and browse and select music sold by a real person, even if it is more inefficient than amazon sales.
>People like having something they can touch and can feel and doesn't seem like futura spooky ashitto if you know what i mean.
Tell that to blockbuster.

Because the average person doesn't have the access to even know that phone is available to them. And even if they did, they sure as shit aren't going to find it buried underneath a million ads for conventional (non smart) phones priced nearly exactly the same as that one. Even IF by some miracle they found that add, had access, and could afford it, they still can't afford the monthly fees and drain on their income the data plan would cost. Don't you read the fucking papers?

Half the goddamn world is making less than 20 bucks a day. Unemployment is rampant, automation is taking over everything... its fucking murphies law man.

Guess what? I live in a poor neighborhood not 2 blocks from 2 video rental places, Jungle Video and another skeezy joint called Angels Video.

Maybe if you fucking mellenials ever took a ride outside of your cozy little suburban habitats and actually saw what the rest of the fucking world was like, you might not be so eager to stick your tongue up Trumps asshole in order to maintain the status quo.

I live in a civilized country, and in civilized countries, most people have smartphones. Several carriers that have pay as you go options provide smartphones for as little as $40, go outside once in a while.

>Because the average person doesn't have the access to even know that phone is available to them.
Not everyone lives in north korea.

>they still can't afford the monthly fees and drain on their income the data plan would cost. Don't you read the fucking papers?
lolwut?

>Unemployment is rampant, automation is taking over everything... its fucking murphies law man.
No it's actually just shitty countries with shitty governments. People magically get better once they come to the states which obviously means something was wrong with the country they originated from.

I swear to god everybody on Sup Forums has the exact same personality. You all think you are individuals bucking the status quo but really all your doing is towing the party line. You eat what the media managers feed you and think that somebody running a human botnet paying unpaid interns in the latest version of bitcoin is really where its at.

You fucking teeny boppers are so easy to manipulate, the minute somebody tells you the truth or says something you don't want to hear you all gang up on him like a herd of dildos and tear em apart.

If you'd learned anything here besides how to be a contrarian you might actually fucking LISTEN and pay attention to whats going on behind the scenes.

But you don't, cause your generation is afraid to ask questions. You're afraid to stand up. You're afraid of being recorded and black bagged and whatever other horseshit your fetid imaginations can come up with.

You scream 9/11 was an inside job at the top of your lungs in WOW servers like you were fucking Moses coming down off the mountain, you kids are fucking idiots, you know that?

Just God damn spoon-fed, braindead idiots. Somebody should pull the god damn plug.

>In civilized countries, 1-10% of the population have smartphones

fixed that for you

>ever took a ride outside of your cozy little suburban habitats and actually saw what the rest of the fucking world was like, you might not be so eager to stick your tongue up Trumps asshole in order to maintain the status quo.
I'm not voting for him and the same could be said for you, cuck.

>CDs are cheaper and the common smuck cant tell the difference between audio quality
Are you retarded?

[citation needed]

If someone took away your cell phone, where would you be?

Would you have any skills? What would you do with your 6th grade highschool education? With no internet to answer your fucking questions or spoonfeed your media, where would you go if something went wrong?

What would you even do in an emergency? Do even have a flashlight in your house that isn't attached to a keychain? Do you know the number for your local police department? What would you do if somebody DDOS'ed 911 and there were riots in the fucking streets?

You'd fucking choke, thats what you'd do.

>mellenials
As usual, a millennial who can't spell millennial is bitching about millennials.

pcworld.com/article/2999631/phones/pew-survey-shows-68-percent-of-americans-now-own-a-smartphone.html

Huh, looks like you were at least 57% off you fucking retard.

you first, bitchtits

You stupid fuck. You're on an American website, made by an American, for Americans, hosted on American servers on the internet Americans invented.

If you want to start arguing on the basis that you live in Mogadishu and can't afford to take your goat to the witch doctor and that's why a $40 android phone might as well be a Rolls Royce, you gotta announce that shit right up front. There are no flags here and at any rate, none of us were talking to you.

Too little too late.

In 2008 it was literally too late for such attempt. It would have made more sense had they made those around 2003.

off the bat I could see people complaining that they're easy to lose and difficult to store, in the end you'd probably be shipping them in big-ass jewel cases and at that point, why the fuck wouldn't you just press blu-rays for half the price

>Tell that to blockbuster.
blockbuster didn't die because of physical media though, they died because renting physical media is an inconvenient pain for something you don't own anyway

Hah wow I just had this thought a second before reading your comment... Got a free trial and thought "what's the point in downloading anymore... Can I afford this?"

But fuck it I like downloading for the lulz

People seem to forget that flash memory can't keep data for many years.

Even when CDs and DVDs can get defective after a while (scratches or the reflecting surface getting damaged by all kinds of things) they usually keep their data reliably than flash memory.

>audio quality
dumbest post I have heard all day

One word:
Transfer speeds

It actually can. Flash drives are rated to last for 5+ years under non-extreme conditions (ie stored in a dry room temperature storage).

If what you said was true then we would have already had a mass pandemic of people losing their important data because they left their flash drive disconnected for more than a day.

All of what you mentioned is cheaper and easier than putting a sd card with the same content on the market.

Are you trying to make a point or just showing off, cunt?

I never ran out of bandwidth. Averaged 150 gigs of torrents to my phone a month for 50€... Fuck that thing got hot in my pocket!

I could afford that easily on 28k

Op the reason it won't work is I want to listen to music wherever I am, not wherever the sd card is. I have options today: I can pay for Spotify and listen to it, I can get free Spotify and last thru the ads, or I can torrent it. I have no qualms tormenting on a cafés network (for music, not a movie or some shit). More so, it would appear that they care not also

>This is what phones are replacing.
NO.

Maybe for the average consumer, but not for the person who would actually need 20Mbps or greater.

Talking about several years and not days.

I'm curious how all the SSDs will do over the next couple years.
There are lots of 3 decades old HDDs that still have all their data form the 80's and still work.

I doubt SSDs or random usb drives will be able to pull that off.

>Talking about several years and not days.
That's what I was talking about you fucking nigger. Flash drives will literally retain data for 5+ years if left in proper storage.

The average joe doesn't even need a 1Gbps home isp. 8Mbps is more than fucking enough to do literally almost everything you can think of.

3.6GB/hour

600MB/10 minutes

1080p VP9 Youtube streams: ~2-4 Mbps

Yea, but the rest of us need more. I'm happy with 100/100.

>Yea, but the rest of us need more. I'm happy with 100/100.
Nigga no you don't. You could easily survive on 8Mbps down and ~2Mbps up. What do you do that you think requires a 100Mbps up and down connection?

5 is like nothing tho.
it's literally shit if it can't keep its shit for at least 10 to 20.

>Nigga no you don't.
Who the fuck are you, nigga?
>You could easily survive on 8Mbps down and ~2Mbps up.
No, nigga, I couldn't.
>What do you do that you think requires a 100Mbps up and down connection?
Upload and download large files, duh homie.

>being such a consumer whore

8Mbps are more than sufficient

This.

Fuck man, are you downloading bloatgirl rips day and night?

>being a NEET who doesn't do anything productive
Ok f.am.

>downloading
Na, he sounds like the great guys who upload all ay everyday, to allow us peons some download.

>ad hominem
And that's the hint why you probably aren't a professional and not use the bandwidth for your job like you are implying

>I can tell who you are based on your behavior on Sup Forums
Really nigga?