/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

corsair.com/en-us/support/downloads)
linux.com/news/bring-back-deleted-files-lsof
gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bash.html#Bash-Startup-Files
lwn.net/Articles/676664/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for i3 is comfy

how do you set up an active desktop in i3?

why is fedora so based everyone, is it because its put on by redhat?

Strong community of developers, strong alliance with upstream package developers. Adhering to strict package distribution guidelines and fast adoption of new technologies.

t. fedora representative and community manager

Define active desktop

>Meet the /fglt/ team:

Hey it's the corsair fag from before. Here's my situation:

>Corsair m45 mouse
>Want to use it on mint
>Unable to scroll, use right click, use nav buttons, or switch dpi
>software which controls settings is not available for linux (corsair.com/en-us/support/downloads)

Is there anything I can do? I have a spare mouse but I'd like to be able to use my normal one.

>Is there anything I can do?

try posting in the proper thread next time for starters ;)

Any of you nerds used Solidworks in WINE? How does it run?

I am asking for both my desktop AND laptop, really. Windows runs like garbage on my laptop for whatever reason, even though I can run KDE even better. (Although I choose not to.) And I just am trying to break my windows dependency as much as I can on my desktop.

found the guy who was banned from the irc

>tfw I thought Manjaro would be comfy and easy to use.

I keep having to figure out small tedious problems. It's not even fun.

I'm having a major brain fart
I want to input a percentage and find the percentage of a number based upon it.

for example, I want to input 90 and have my program come up with 90% of 4400. however bash is retarded so I can't just use a percent.

what do I do

fucking christ it's literally multiplying 4400 by a decimal I'm so retarded
I'm just gonna go jump off a bridge now

holy shit, at least you figured it out user.

Ok so i just installed this.... now what..

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda

Why did you install it if you don't know what to do with it?

how would one recover from
# rm /lib/libc.so.6

without rebooting?

It doesn't really matter

>linux.com/news/bring-back-deleted-files-lsof
looks like some mild black magic

alright fuck bash, it can't even handle decimals

I had to coble something up in python for it to work
the neat thing is I've never used python before about 20 minutes ago
I should really learn it
#!/usr/bin/python
import sys
import os
brightness=input(sys.argv)*4400
os.system("echo %g > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness" %brightness)

now I just need to figure out how to make it accept 90 instead of .90

Whats the lightest debian based distro?

devuan

where on their filesystem does Sup Forums usually mount extra HDDs? i was mounting mine in ~/Drives/ but i realized that's probably a bad idea if i want to log out of my account, any suggestions? I have 5 HDDs besides my OS drive so it kind of needs a dedicated directory

what are some good qt widget styles?

breeze looks pretty awful

`dc` is available pretty much everywhere, but it's insane
$ keks=80
$ dc -e "4400 $keks 0.01 * * 1 / p"

I'm having an issue with a shitty Dell E1505 I decided to put Mint on. I tried it out via a live USB to see if the laptop would be speedy enough for my usage, and everything was fine. Now that it's installed I have no audio, and the moment it boots into post I get the sound of a horse trotting in my speakers. Repeated constantly, two clicks at a time, about five four clicks per second. I had to fix the hinges that hold the screen on, but I can't imagine this would have caused the issue. Any ideas? I've done a lot of googling today and I'm frankly ready for a little spoon-feeding if anyone is willing.

The one that comes with no window manager.

Fusion Dark is awesome

Shotcut uses it

Devuan.

>I just need to figure out how to make it accept 90 instead of .90
Are you in kindergarten?

Debian or devuan

/mount

I used Arc Dark for a bit.

Just installed Debian and I've been playing around editing files and such, I came across something kind of curious. I installed Archey to increase my swag levels, and someone on reddit said to add the line archey to ~/.bashrc iirc. I did that and it still didn't boot, so I added it to the file in the usr directory which, I think, was somewhere under the /usr/ directory.

When I opened the 2nd file and added the line, it worked. There was also a lot more lines written in that file. Long post, I know, but why are there two different files with that name? And why did only one of them work?

When I say boot, I mean the logo and system info appeared automatically when I opened the terminal, whereas I had to manually type archey to do it before. I'm trying to get used to using nano and editing files from the terminal since I don't have permissions if I use the file manager.

Het /fglt/ I'm quite a noob and I've run into a problem, I haven't found a sollution on google so I thought I'd ask for help here.

I'm trying to install manjaro on an old computer using a usb boot.
I'm using a cd with plop, since this old computer doesn't accept usb to boot.

I've only gotten the usb to work by pressing u+alt in the main menu, but after it gives me the available boot options and I type start and return, it doesn't continue it just stops there and won't do anyting else.

What should I do?

Is there any program for Linux for playing videos that can remember your position in a single video, or even a playlist of multiple videos?

I'd like to just be able to quickly close and start it without having to always try and remember where I was before

>manjaro
found your problem

mpv

What's the best CD burning software for Linux a la Imgburn for Windows? Particularly for creating .cue files for flacs.

Damn it I knew I shouldn't have asked for help here.

I have mpv but how do I make do that?

save-position-on-quit

oh wow, this actually works with playlists too. Thanks user, sorry for not checking the manpage myself before asking. Really just didn't think mpv would do something like that

>however bash is retarded so I can't just use a percent.
The only retard here is you son.

percent=$((100*$item/$total))

hello Sup Forums
I use an alias that has:
service apache2 status | grep Active && service mysql status | grep active

And it would output something like this:
Active: active (running) since Wed 2016-08-31 16:34:07 XXX; 42min ago
Active: active (running) since Wed 2016-08-31 16:33:54 XXX; 42min ago

1. How do I label each line according to the service it is check?
2. How do I colorize the output word (active==green, inactive==red etc)

printf '\033[32mActive\033[m\n'
grep command for active stuff
printf '\033[31mInactive\033[m\n'
grep command for inactive stuff

30-37 black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan, white
use 40-47 for coloring the background

Enjoy your retarded package manager

I also suggest to use a function, not an alias.
checkstatus() {
printf '\033[32mActive\033[m\n'
service apache2 status | grep Active
service mysql status | grep active
printf '\033[31mInactive\033[m\n'
service apache2 status | grep Inactive
service mysql status | grep inactive
}
Go away neo Sup Forums.

but apt has lots of config files and --long-options and three dependency levels because you need to have things the maintainers thought would be handy automatically installed, that means it's good

even if it's bad at actually managing packages

>apt broke, can't do anything, at all
>the debian user becomes very good at getting out of this situation

>even if it's bad at actually managing packages
nope, using it since years, never had a problem

Alright, I put lubuntu on the usb now.
Same thing happens, I select try ubuntu without installing and it freezes.

I remember the first time I installed debian

I learned that you had to upgrade the entire system before installing even one program, or apt would deadlock itself until you used dpkg to manually untangle it

now i use nextstep (OS X) because spaghetti package systems are for hodge-podge hobby systems with nary a standard API

>GNU/Linux

emacs users get out

There is no bash related configuration in /usr.
But to answer your question, bash has multiple configuration files, which can be categorized as follows, system wide and per user, login and non-login, interactive and non-interactive.
I'll explain per user config.
.bashrc is run for non-login shells, that means it's run for example when you open a terminal like konsole or xterm.
.bash_profile is run for login shells and is run when you log on to console instead of GUI or log to a remote machine via ssh.
Some people source .bashrc from .bash_profile for this exact reason, to unify the config for login and non-login shells.

Things get little more complicated with other shells, sh uses .profile for login shells for example and bash has compile flags for interactivity checking etc.
Usually .bashrc is non-login AND interactive, so that bash scripts don't run it.

Same files exist for root and also exist as systemwide configs in /etc.

gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bash.html#Bash-Startup-Files

Thanks user but it doesnt label which line of status is the service belonging to.

Just add a second line.

checkstatus() {
printf 'Apache: \033[32mActive\033[m\n'
service apache2 status | grep Active
printf 'MySQL: \033[32mActive\033[m\n'
service mysql status | grep active
printf 'Apache: \033[31mInactive\033[m\n'
service apache2 status | grep Inactive
printf 'MySQL: \033[31mInactive\033[m\n'
service mysql status | grep inactive
}

If your system uses acpi_video0 instead of intel_backlight like mine, no need for that, just put this in a xorg.conf.d file.
Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "Backlight" "intel_backlight"
EndSection

Trying to add a keyboard shortcut in rc.xml in openbox to open a file in nano (nano ~/.todo). I assumed the execute action would achieve this but it doesn't seem to work. Incidentally I've tried adding a keyboard shortcut for ranger before which didn't worked either. How would I get these commands to open in the terminal with a shortcut?

If not I suppose I can just add an alias for todo. It would be nice to get the ranger shortcut working as it's currently quicker to open a GUI file manager.

gnome-terminal -e "nano /home/username/.todo"

Thanks. Feel a bit foolish for never having looked at my terminal emulator's man page.

Look into cdparanoia

okay im new to this so sorry if it stupid but which version of GNU/linux do i get for gaming/digital art, 3d dedign etc purposes?

sudo pacman -Rs your-shit-meme

I use debian for that but any would do.
Are you using blender, krita, inkscape and gimp or something else? I know that there is a maya executable for rpm/fedora/centos if you are into that (i personally prefer blender).

Archbabby here, considering a switch to Debian and got some questions:

1) What is the rolling version, is it testing or unstable?
2) How to get the rolling version? I can only find stable images.
3) I hear memes about security flaws and breakage on testing and unstable, did I fall for the meme or are there problems?
4) On Arch I check the news for possible breakage, what is the Debian way?
And finally
5) Is there a way to get a minimal version of Debian where I can install my favorite packages without preinstalled DE etc?

i need a light os for a netbook that isnt shit specwise

ive tried mint with MATE DE, ran pretty smooth, but can it get faster?

was thinking of puppy or crunchbang

thoughts?

>netbook that IS shit specwise*

mint is utter crap, dont use it
puppy is basically for a stick or live cd
crunchbang is dead, if you want something simliar, get the succsessor "bunsenlabs"

if your goal is a light system, don't choose by distro, get what you want but use a lightweight DE or even just a WM like openbox or for tiling i3, bspwm, dwm, for battery life, don't use flash; watch videos via mpv instead

Manjaro has some lightweight community spins for Xfeces, OpenBox, bspwm and i3. Try one of these.
Also bunsenlabs is pretty good if you want a prericed openbox Debian without configuring everything.

Arch
>bunsenlabs
Debian + sudo apt-get openbox tint2
>manjaro
If you are too stupid to install Arch go back to Windows

thanks for the help guys

also does that mean EVERY distro has options for lightweight DEs and WMs? also how do i watch a video via mpv

sorry, new as fuck

10/10 meme skills
0/10 helpful informations
Typical Arch user shitpost.

>also does that mean EVERY distro has options for lightweight DEs and WMs? also how do i watch a video via mpv

Yep, most distros provide different DE versions, if not, you can still install a any DE or WM you like. As example, you can install a plain Ubuntu and then install i3. In your login manager you can select the new i3 session and that's it.

For mpv there's a nice Firefox addon called "Openwith", where you can add mpv. Then you just right click on any website or link to open it in mpv, youtube-dl (usually a dependency of mpv) will do all the job.

>broken english

Yes, I started with GNOME on fedora, then switched to cinnamon, then xfce and now openbox.

Install mpv whichever way your distro specifies.

In terminal:
mpv /path/to/file
mpv URL (if you have youtube-dl)

Optionally install open with firefox extension
Optionally set file associations for automatic opening with file manager

I'm just trying to help. ;_;

why is mint shit?

What's the most non may may-quintessential distribution?

Debian?
Ubuntu?
Red Hat?

Fedora or RHEL. Debian and its derivates are trash

Can someone help please, when i try to do
php artisan migrate
on laravel, i get
[PDOException]
could not find driver

How similar is the Android command line to Linux?

lwn.net/Articles/676664/
tl;dr mint is a hacked together distro that may look nice but under the hood there are serious security flaws and breakage

Why is Ubuntu/Debian trash? I like Unity

Debian if you know what you're doing.
Ubuntu (a fork of Debian) if you don't know what you're doing.
There's no reason for Red Hat stuff like RHEL unless you're a company and need payed support.
There's no good reason to use Fedora at all since it's a testbed for RHEL.
10/10 meme skills

Rhel requires a sub?

Is it actually worth it? I mean, what do you pay for? One year of software updates? Phone tech support with pajeet?

I would consider buying if it were a one time thing, or at least had the option for a one time purchase

You pay for tech support which is usefull for a company, but not for a casual user. A normalfag would use CentOS which is basically the same without support.

You can install Unity in other distros as well. Debian's repository is plain retarded and the system gets bloated over the time
Grow the fuck up retard.
developers.redhat.com

>Ubuntu (a fork of Debian) if you don't know what you're doing.
Why do debqueens feel ANY superior to ubuntu? If anything, *buntu is the superior debian

Just stop with your memes, seriously.
This is a friendly thread.

Lads I'm in dire need of help.

I have Xubuntu on my laptop.
I was changing the brightness settings from the top bar.

I accidentally put it all the way down (0%) and now it is fucking black.

Removing the laptop from AC does nothing.
Restarting it only gives black screen because brightness is set to 0%

The laptop controls that adjusted brightness when it was in Windows don't work (FN+arrow up or down)

h-h-elp

>memes
>Says the person who goes "Ubuntu (a fork of Debian) if you don't know what you're doing." and "There's no good reason to use Fedora at all since it's a testbed for RHEL."

18+ board

i wish'd memers would just leave this thread
if i want to read how to rm -rf ~ i go to Sup Forums

Great arguments.

HEY hey

This is a FRIENDLY Linux thread. Not a meanie Linux thread

What's going on with that new "Debian is bad" meme? I don't get it. It's one of the oldest distros, many distros are based on it and even the NASA is using it.

Seriously. I'm using Debian Sid since about 5 years on 4 machines and never had a problem. If anyone has questions, in case something doesn't work, feel free to ask, but please don't spread disinformation.