I'm returning to college, and I am looking for a netbook that has:

>fast boot time
>cheap
>good battery life
>non-OSX
>non-chrome
>separate clicker buttons on touchpad
>primarily for web browsing/document editing

After looking at a couple dozen top-rated netbooks, the best candidate is the Lenovo IdeaPad 100s:

cnet.com/products/lenovo-ideapad-100s/

The only downside seems to be
>flimsy feeling keyboard

Is there a major flaw in this netbook that I seem to be unaware of? Are there other things I should be taking into consideration? Is there a netbook that you know to be a better fit for a poor college student who wants to do his homework while out of the house?

I am also assuming that I can install Ubuntu on it to make it run even faster, and that there is plenty of software GNU/Linux software for me to do my typical class assignments in the typical windows file formats and turn them in, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01FFBN4W4/ref=mp_s_a_1_42?ie=UTF8&qid=1472650361&sr=8-42&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=chromebook&dpPl=1&dpID=51-19G04kHL&ref=plSrch
zipso.net/chromebook-specs-comparison-table/
amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-NVIDIA-Windows-E5-575G-53VG/dp/B01DT4A2R4/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1472659790&sr=1-5&keywords=laptop
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just get an X220/X230 and throw in an SSD.

>stuck with 32gb ssd forever

nope

You can't install linux or any other OS on it. Also it doesn't have much storage.

You're better off buying a used thinkpad.

buy something like an acer c730... Super awesome community out there that has gotten windows and linux to run with no hooks

HP Elitebook or MBP

I've got an Asus t100ta, memory isn't a problem when you use it for college. Stop hoarding cartoon cp.

>2GB of ram
>Shitty screen and keyboard

This thing is so basic. It'll be slow doing anything more than typing. And with that keyboard, yeah no thanks. Pay more for a better screen and keyboard. Id probably go for an older xps 13 if anything.

This. Still cheaper and restore cds are easy to find.

ASUS K501UX

> 1080P IPS
> SSD + HDD(Europe version)
> I7-6500U
> 8GB DDR*(there are multiple versions)
> Only 2KG
> Gigabit, Wifi AC
> Ergonomic keyboard
> Battery lasts about 6 Hours
I own it and yes the battery is great.

100S owner here.
Only thing that you gotta do is make sure your drivers are up-to-date out of the box and you're good. the thing is fast enough to get shit done, and I'm extremely happy with mine.

just make sure you drop a 128GB MicroSD card in the slot, and set your browser of choice to download only to that.

The battery lasts a fucklong time for the size, I'm absolutely amazed. The keyboard IS flimsy, yes, but you get used to it and it's not so bad. Win10 runs great on the hardware regardless. Win7 would run just as nice if that's you're choice, and Linux support for the Bay Trail-T platform is getting better with the coming days. The speakers are nice, yes.

The only modification I need to suggest you make is to open the bottom up (don't lose any screws) and replace the rubber bumper thing that goes over the area of the supplementary chipset and replace it with a thermal pad. in fact, get a few and place them in various areas. the entire area in the middle of the board is where the Atom makes contact to the plate up top.

>ergonomic keyboard

People sure have low ergonomic standards these days.

my laptop cost $150 on black friday last year. not too long ago i turned gui boot off in msconfig and it boots up crazy fast. but you wanted a different type of mousepad and ubuntu but its mad slow on my computer. fedora runs well though.

With that modification the bottom corner of the machine will get warmer than the rest, but the machine will keep cooler upon heavy load. if the Atom goes over 65C, Turbo Boost to 1.83GHz disables until the chip cools down. with the thermal pads, you keep it in the 50C range all the time.

Science Studio on youtube did a 100S teardown and his own review on the thing. the teardown to look for modifications that could be made is the reason I bought one in the first place.

Had one as well, I agree on the preformance. Its ok for what you want to do. But the speakers are actually pretty shitty and the touchpad is singletouch only. That means no gestures like two finger scrolling which I found annoying as hell.

XPS 13 and dual boot it with Ubuntu or Fedora

yes, but I'm not a fan of gestures anyway. I'd sure love it if Lenovo released a driver for it that actually disabled the tapping features.

the speakers are fine for the size. I did punch two smaller holes in mine in the far corners to improve back pressure release, and it did make a difference. but that does void the warranty.

but with a battery life of 9 hours or so nominally speaking, there's no reason not to at least try it. Worst Buy has them for pretty cheap, even open-box, but they're the red model. the Blue casing is much more nicer in my opinion, but you have to find the shells on eBay or buy it direct from Lenovo/Amazon to get that.

no battery life is shit
i have 4 genuine batteries

Looks like a lot of performance for a pretty good price. However, I already have a desktop for heavy lifting and the battery life doesn't seem that great, and $400 for a refurbished model+SSD is getting moderately expensive

there'll be like 16 GB after the OS, that should be plenty for text documents and powerpoints and stuff. If it does become and issue I have a few 64 GB thumbdrives

damn, I looked up some stuff and everybody was indeed having trouble putting linux on it, even in the best fixes the OS couldn't identify the wireless card/speakers/et cetera

>acer c730

looks pretty promising, I do see that getting Ubuntu to dual boot is really streamlined

old HP elitebook 8460p seems pretty decently priced for the power, but it's got a HDD. I really am just going to be editing documents, looking up webpages, and playing music on this thing

Get a Chromebook, put different Linux in it

I picked up a Dell Inspiron Mini 1012 on ebay for $36, and it just needed an HDD. Came with an Atom N450 and 1GB RAM. I threw in a 160GB HDD and installed Lubuntu and it's great for word processing and web browsing. Good price for performance in my opinion.

looks really nice, but it's over $800, and I don't need that much power

I like how big the keyboard is and how cheap it is, but I don't like the sound of that HDD. You say it still boots pretty fast? Fast with windows and fast with Fedora?

We use the 8460p models where I work. Typically put an SSD in them. Decent machines.

ZENBOOK
E
N
B
O
O
K

Looks like there's actually a chromebook version of the lenovo 100s, and it's better
>slightly cheaper ($140 new)
>slightly better construction
>can dual boot chrome OS and Ubuntu

this might be the one

>fast boot time
Depends on the OS, Gentoo boots the fastest.
>cheap
ThinkPad
>good battery life
ThinkPad
>non-OSX
ThinkPad
>non-chrome
ThinkPad
>separate clicker buttons on touchpad
ThinkPad
>primarily for web browsing/document editing

I don't see it with the thinkpad. New ones are $800+, old ones are heavy and have dying batteries. Replacing old laptop parts quickly raises the price, negating the bargain price I got and still leaving the possibility of other issues. I ended up going with a lightly used Acer Chromebook 15-6 CB3 531 C4A5 for $95.

>less than 2 years old
>less than 10 second boot time
>chrome OS + Intel CPU allows for easy Linux installation
>unusually large screen for a crappy little netbook, 15.6"

>Powerful
>Slim
>Good Battery Life

Pick two.

>I'm returning to college, and I am looking for a netbook
F, good luck next semester pls pay 10k tuition

why are there so many fucking laptops

OP said NETBOOK not ULTRABOOK you mongloid

I recommend the 2016 MacBook with Retina display

I used one when my main laptop for college shit the bed and I was broke.

The battery life is fucking amazing.

The boot time is comparable to a 5400rpm mechanical drive. Its not exactly the fastest flash storage. Also there's only 32 gigabytes of it and you'd probably need a micro SD card after windows eats half of that.

The keyboard doesn't feel flimsy, its just shallow as fuck even compared to my new XPS 13.

As far as linux goes, just fucking look that up and see. 32 bit versions of debian supposedly work without sound and wireless and with a lot of kludging.

Honestly I ended up using it as a device almost purely to run teamviewer to do work with my desktop while in class.

That said, not a bad choice. You get what you pay for.

Try the HP 11" Intel Celeron 2GB 16GB Chromebook.
Seems alright

Yeh, switching out discs is like brainsurgery.

That brushed aluminum lid looks so tacky. Why does Asus do that?

macbook with linux/windows

or just use os x, it's okay.

Get a used thinkpad if you actually care about your money
Get a macbook pro if you have money and want to fit in

>I am also assuming that I can install Ubuntu on it to make it run even faster
Bwahahahahahahahah

amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01FFBN4W4/ref=mp_s_a_1_42?ie=UTF8&qid=1472650361&sr=8-42&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=chromebook&dpPl=1&dpID=51-19G04kHL&ref=plSrch

Just brought this. How badly did I fuck up?

what the fuck did you just fucking say about netbooks, you little bitch?

x220 or x230, no other options are legitimate

You get a lot for that money but 16/2 is fucking small and will piss you off .
The Great Suspender chrome addon is essential for multiple tabs.

> written on an identical tosh chromebook

Im sure I can get it open and jam more ram into it. I only plan to use it for short trips.

> very unlikely

Theres no evidence online of 2016 acer chromebooks with upgradeable ram but for the last few versions, it hasnt been possible.

zipso.net/chromebook-specs-comparison-table/

and you can upgrade the flash storage. I upgraded the storage on the c720 to 128 GB and installed Arch on it.

Eh, we'll see when it arrives. Probably something I can work around

As I say, its possible with a tab suspender, ( is there one for firefox ? ) and a ram meter.
Still a good machine for subĀ£200

>he doesn't take apart all his new electronics

very hihg quality aluminum body with shiny sucrfae

Well if its soldered to the board and designed for that size ram only...then whats the point.

not him but can i fresh install windows on it?

buy the 100s OP.
literally the only bad things are keyboard flex and linux support but you will get used to the keyboard flex and learn to type like a normal person not slap the keys like a monkey and as for the linux thing just wait a couple of month for support to come to the new hardware. ai want one, too. i need fitty dollars more doe

Those are the words of a casual

this is pretty good

except it doesn't have the separate clickers on the touch pad.

amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-NVIDIA-Windows-E5-575G-53VG/dp/B01DT4A2R4/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1472659790&sr=1-5&keywords=laptop

>except it doesn't have the separate clickers on the touch pad
That's a plus.

>X220
>X230
>CDs

>USB optical drives don't exist

>old ones are heavy and have dying batteries.
>Replacing old laptop parts quickly raises the price, negating the bargain price I got and still leaving the possibility of other issues.
a new battery is like $60

In what universe?

>old ones are heavy
an X220 is like 3 pounds
and the battery lasts anywhere from 9-12 hours

This one.

You seem to be in the wrong universe.

>requirments
>>cheap
>>non-OSX
>>seperate clicker buttons on touchpad

>suggest a MBP

People on here don't read past the first 6 words do they? Kill yourself.

Nah

>Buying Taiwanese-tier products

Trump would be disappointed user. Buy American guys. HP for Windows, Apple for OSX.

I prefer to go elsewhere for osx

>intel celeron
>2 GB

no no no no, i have these specs in my netbook right now and its complete garbage. it goes barely fast enough to type, let alone surf the web or watch a video. also 16 GB? youre gonna run out of space incredibly fast if youre not planning on cloud computing, and if you are you might as well stick with chrome OS

Dont listen to these retards and dont fall for the thinkpad+lincuck meme unless you are autistic

>tfw t60 is dying
s-should i just replace it?