Is there really any point to this distro when you can use a minimal debian or fedora iso to avoid bloat?

Is there really any point to this distro when you can use a minimal debian or fedora iso to avoid bloat?

Other urls found in this thread:

bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/unity/ bug/1596623)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

and vice versa...

There are no distributions, there are repositories and package managers maintained by different people.

Debian's repository structure is bloated as fuck. Even GNOME core installs Firefox or chromium. Whereas Arch kde mininal doesnt even come with a file manager.
Furthermore AUR ports is divine

Rolling release and if you use the aur then you get a repo that rivals Debian's in size

> sudo apt-get install pacman
I fixed your distro for you... at least, partially.

Debian has a rolling release repository but Arch fags are learning resistant and will resume to claim the opposite tomorrow.

> learning resistant
You wouldn't know your power button from your asshole if it weren't for the Arch wiki.

Besides, everyone knows:

> Arch = playtime
> Fedora = worktime
> Debian = GNU/bees

I don't mean to take part distrowars. I just personally wouldn't use Debian if I weren't on stable or unstable since that rock solid stability is what makes Debian good imo.
It's not worth much as an argument since my arch install is subtly broken in ways that I haven't managed to pin down yet but last time I tried even just pinning a few testing packages on my Debian install I managed to fuck everything up so badly that a dist-upgrade decided that I didn't actually need xorg. To be fair I didn't really know what I was doing and probably fucked that up too.

>Fedora = worktime
man, i really am a boring person arent i?

Is there any point to minimal debian or fedora iso when you can use that to avoid bloat?

probably...I mean you're sitting on Sup Forums pontificating about distros...but not really.

I am too, but then again, I very rarely come here anymore. I think this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've visited since I quit coming here willingly back in 2009.

and with that, i'll see you lads in 2020 or something.

but if i use debian i cant tell everyone on the internet how cool i am

AUR

install gentoo

>debian
>minimal
Are you high? You must be.

The AUR. It's so good due to the ridiculous amounts of packages and package mods available that despite the inherent flaws to arch and the cancerous direction it's gone recently, it's still completely worth using and nothing can come close.
The package count on debian distros look larger, but that's because they split each package into 5 packages (x, x-doc, x-dev, libx, x-extras would be a single package: x, in non-debian distros)

That's mostly true, but that is pretty much WHAT makes a distribution. There are also several software that do not work outside their native distro for various reasons (manjaro driver manager, ubuntu driver jockey, opensuse YaST), some distros completely change the filesystem structure (gobolinux), some have radically different operating paradigms (qubesos, whonix), some are meta-distros (bedrock), etc.

Arch is too retarded.

Fedora.
Debian.
Ubuntu.

All these are superior.

None of these have anywhere near as many packages, nor as up-to-date packages. Additionally, of the 4, only arch lets you cleanly remove systemd and use openrc instead. Recently, arch has also been the most stable of the 4, so these distros end up being strictly inferior in every single aspect except out-of-box ease of install (which is mitigated by architect or alternative arch distros like manjaro).

Install gentoo

>ignorant Arch poster
Minimal bootstrapped Debian is smaller than minimal bootstrapped Arch.

>thinking manjaro is the same as Arch

Nigga, are you high?

>Recently, arch has also been the most stable of the 4
>Source: my ass

It's literally the same thing except with held-back "tested" stable repo.

That's like thinking ubuntu, mint and debian are literally the same thing.

t. retard

This.

Litrally /thread

>can't argue back
>y-your'e a retard!

why so salty?

Listen up and listen good.

Boring office stuff like spread sheets: Red Hat, CentOS
Gaming and noobs general: Ubuntu
Entry-level coding: Debian, Fedora

Reale serious coding, top-end server stuff and hacking: Arch

Liberty of choice, I don't understand distro wars I use most of them... And I get a 6 figure paycheck on the enterprise software branch
Pic related

>thinks you have to argue against idiotic claims

kek

100% wrong.

>Ubuntu
>Superior
hahahahahaha
Ubuntu suffers from the same highly-visible bugs that have existed for years (such as, Apport crashing and being unable to send error reports), Nautilus loses functionality with every release, Ubuntu has the worst performance of all GNU/Linux distributions (along with Kubuntu), and 16.04 is the buggiest vesion yet. There is nothing about Ubuntu that is superior to anything. The only reason you like these babby distributions is because you don't have to have any knowledge about anything and you're too dumb to follow basic installation directions.

How do you define stability? Ubuntu is so over-engineered and so bloated, it is impossible for it to not have programs crashing on a daily basis. I have been using Arch for years and I have yet to have a kernel panic or an application crashing.

>There is nothing about Ubuntu that is superior to anything.
It's the better debian :^)

I don't even see any reason for this kind of argument you guys are having with each other.

OP clearly made this thread to bait the Archneets.

Every single time someone makes a thread with that Arch logo it brings the inner autism of this board.

True, true

Are you seriously this angry about not being able to think of any argument or are you a kid trying to be an epic troll? Because both are equally hilarious.

Can you do a "minimal" installation where you login don't have to install KDM or GDM, and you can immediately install a window manager rather than a bloatware DE?

Honestly curious.
Pretty sure however minimal you get it you still get stuck with some bloat.

also, graphical installer is a bad idea.

Have you ever tried a minimal install?

No that's why I was curious. Does it just drop you at tty like arch?

Fedora doesn't have compton. Wtf.

>debian
Enjoy your 3 year old packages or 1 year old horribly unstable packages
>fedora
Enjoy horrible instability, retarded unnecessary system protection bullshit you have to forcibly disable, and the NSA botnet

Yes, that's why it's called "minimal".

Okay, cool.
Then I'll default back to my graphical installer argument.
Waste of space on the installer, not the installation, but still not minimal.

Apt is just too slow. Debian needs a better package manager on par with pacman or yum.

Yum is dogshit and is on par with apt.

Why are wireless drivers in linux kernel so dogshit? Lost three fucking hours fucking my rtl8192cu after an update broke the last fix

yum is deprecated. we dnf now.

Graphicall installers are good when you feel too lazy type, also, try a minimal install and see the graphical installer in there.

Because
a) you're shit
b) your wireless card is shit

>Debian users
>pic related
>"We can't expect them to figure out how to add a user."

>Arch users
>man useradd
>"oh okay"

Making a user account is a standard feature of most distro installers.

>too lazy to type
Sounds like a Debian user to me

>wireless
Bunch of proprietary half-working shit. Don't even bother.

lol, as much as I agree that wireless is shit, it's a necessary evil if you ever want to leave your basement.

That's why useradd is on the arch iso. Not everyone needs your pointyclicky Dumb Windows Luser level shit.

Why are you derailing this thread with a totally unrelated question?

Sure, the only counterexamples I can think of are Arch and Kali.
Arch because they want you to have all that manpage fun, Kali because they either want you to break your system or expect you to run as root in a VM.
>inb4 Mr Robot doesn't use a VM

>Ubuntu

kys moco poster

>ubuntu
>it is impossible for it to not have programs crashing on a daily basis
nigga r u high?

Arch linux, the post

Not at all. I've tried all of the 16.04 distributions. Kubuntu and Ubuntu Unity are unusable.

This.

Anecdotes. What exactly went so wrong?

>archneet detected.

That's a cute 2hu :3 Can I download it, please?

You turned her into awoo 2.0

Apport suffers from the same "System Program Problem Detected" bug it has had since 2012. This is highly visible and you would think it would get a fix right away, but here we are.

Unity suffers from a massive amount of bugs when trying to use basic functionality, like moving windows between workspaces (bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/unity/ bug/1596623)

Unity is a slow, bloated desktop environment. It gets in the way of doing actual work more often than it uses its functionality to the benefit of the user. Every version of ubuntu gets worse and worse. After 11.04 or so, Nautilus started losing features, and now it's been completely gutted.

Ubuntu is just a disaster, mate.

You get a sane package manager, which can't be said about Debian or Fedora

Manjaro and Arch are much closer than Ubuntu and Debian.

Do you need Arch to use AUR?
I thought since you have to manually use AUR that you can just use it on any other distro too?

>Whereas Arch kde mininal doesnt even come with a file manager
That's a feature?
And you wonder why people make fun of Arch!

If I install a DE I expect to have all the features a DE is supposed to have and this includes a file manager. I don't want to micromanage just to get a basic experience that should be the default!

> If I install a DE I expect to have [...] and this includes a file manager.
u should install freebsd. u cant even install kde without getting shit like xscreensaver or a planetarium.

But a file manager is not part of a DE. It is not a feature a DE is supposed to have, because DEs are separate from file managers.

The point is that afterwards you install whatever file manager you want. You fucking dunce.

DEs do not build in file managers. Ergo FMs are not part of DEs.

he would install nautilus.

>supposed
[citation needed]
Nautilus doesn't exist anymore. A bleeding edge Arch user should know this. It's Gnome Files now.

The Arch memes are real!

Nothing to do with Arch. KDE itself does not come with a file manager. Blame KDE.

and raider is now twix.

>are real

please leave Sup Forums

Tried Arch.. tried Manjaro.. tried Antergos...

The soul of Arch is boring.. I can't express it in any other way..

>AUR
>boring

I think you must be mentally ill.

>soul of arch

dude what

When you do actual work, you want your distribution to be "boring".

All these arch aspies defending muh distro.
I refuse to believe most of Sup Forums is this retarded.
It must be a very vocal minority.

Anyways use whatever gets the job done, that's the beauty of GNU/Linux as RMS Otou-san would say. Be free as in freedom my boys and move on from this distro wars. This is Sup Forums tier bullshit.

> arch aspies
who told u?

I install it. I tweak it to my liking. An irritation builds up.. I get rid of it.

install windows

>arch
>actual work

Am arch user and this is no!

Watch your tongue.
Arch is not a toy. It's a powerful tool for professionals.

You can use any repo with any distro, but package incompatibilities will completely kill your computer and probably make grub panic.

>archfags are so retarded they don't even know what a DE is

desktop environment

dark elf

arch is a bore. you archies need to be able to bear opinions that differ from the "truth" spewed all over the place.

A stupid fight about distros breaks up the monotony of stupid fights about graphics cards, and stupid fights about women and indians, and stupid fights about microsoft.

I just wish we had some decent threads to break the monotony of constant crap that this board produces