Is it true that the police (or security agencies) can still get access to your internet browsing history when you use...

Is it true that the police (or security agencies) can still get access to your internet browsing history when you use Tor? That's what I was told yesterday by someone who works in that field, but it's also possible he may have been trying to intimidate me.

Other urls found in this thread:

theprivacyblog.com/anonymity/why-tor-failed-to-hide-the-bomb-hoaxer-at-harvard/
metrics.torproject.org/hidserv-rend-relayed-cells.html
metrics.torproject.org/bandwidth.html
youtube.com/watch?v=7G1LjQSYM5Q
youtu.be/zXUcYMscIbE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

1. There's lots of shit that can circumvent TOR and give up you real IP/location

2. NSA/US Army operate a lot of TOR exit nodes and do some Voodoo shit to still find you.

There are a lot more issues that these. There are also many ways to tip the odds in your favor again.
Nevertheless, TOR on it's own isn't very useful for anonymity, aside from normies buying drugs.

>TOR exit nodes
You can use Tor without exit nodes.

turning off scripts and operating through an additional VPN layer gives you a reasonable level of anonymity. that's reasonable, as in far from impenetrable.

If that's the case (and that's what the man I was talking to seemed to indicate), why don't the police crack down on all illegal activity on the 'deepweb'? Is it just that they don't care about people buying drugs, as it's a fairly low-level crime? Presumably all the stories about more serious crime (e.g. hitmen for hire) must be completely fake if anonymity is compromised?

And also, if Tor doesn't work, is there anything that does?

Yes. If you control the exit nodes you control where the data is sent back to. Apparently it's fairly trivial to track people who use tor.

>exit nodes

VPNs are the easiest way to get revealed, you're an idiot.

You don't just throw on a VPN and suddenly your Tor traffic is masked.

1. The VPN can see everything you're doing.
2. If they manage to trace you through Tor, a VPN isn't going to stop them. The VPN will hand over logs to _government_agency_ and they'll find you immediately.

Same questions as

Too much hassle to acquire incriminating evidence(You actually need a lot to make a case happen)/gotta get those tehyowrists

Don't forget about correlation attacks.

>theprivacyblog.com/anonymity/why-tor-failed-to-hide-the-bomb-hoaxer-at-harvard/

I think they confirmed one member of LulzSec that way too.

how can my VPN give something that they don't have?

How do you know that your VPN provider doesn't log?

Do you even know how that shit works nigga?

Exit nodes are entirely optional.

How do you use tor without getting out of tor, except maybe with onions?

>except maybe
There you go.

Solution: Connect to a MCDonalds wifi, get one of those range extenders with a portable power source, strap it onto a wall somewhere and hide in a alleyway as far as possible without losing signal, connect to a VPN overseas and use TOR, this is probably an overwhelming amount of safeness already, even if MCDonalds cooperated with the police you wouldn't be on their security footage.

This only works with onions, and most people using TOR don't give a fuck about onions

It's like saying "Yeah a plane can work without engines if we're on ground"

You're getting nowhere if you never use engines on a plane, like you can only access onions with TOR

Your shit argument is invalid

>most people
[citation needed]

Now you're just strawmanning to avoid the undeniable fact that exit nodes are entirely optional.

Try to connect to something that's not an onion without an exit node

And there's still Rendez-vous point, which are weak points

Also,
metrics.torproject.org/hidserv-rend-relayed-cells.html

VS

metrics.torproject.org/bandwidth.html

>Try to connect to something that's not an onion without an exit node
The OP clearly says:
"use Tor",
not
"use Tor to access the clear net".

>He didn't mean it that way but this way
A normally configured tor browser should not be storing your history anyway, and even then, TOR circuits are pre-established, the server just connects to your exit node trough their exit node with encryption between them, just making the exit node another node

Tor just works that way, give up little guy, and just go see how tor works

Maybe you should learn to read.
"Using Tor" does in no way imply the usage of either Tor Browser or exit nodes.

And "using tor" doesn't imply not using Tor Browser or exit nodes, whatever happens, you need exit nodes, they just become intermediaries when you use hidden services

I'm still gonna say it, get your lazy ass to google and see how that shit works

TOR already slow as fuck
VPN Makes things slower too
Lets throw in McDonalds WiFi(TM) with it's
fantastic reputation for speed and reliability

What the fuck are you people even doing to warrant this? stop selling drugs anons.

Lols

>you need exit nodes
That is completely wrong.
Connections to hidden services never even touch exit nodes. They only pass through RELAYS and _optionally_ BRIDGES, not exit nodes.

“Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know.”

For an idiot, in this context what is 'an onion'?

Police are understaffed pretty much everywhere. And just because NSA/Russian/Israeli/Chinese intelligence could find out what every fucking user does local police usually can't do shit, usually because they have to little knowledge, resources and time.

Also, on the big scale no one really cares for drugs and a few occasional murder, this way it at least seems like they couldn't know absolutely everything for several years now.

"An onion" is a vague way to refer to what it's actually called: a hidden service.

The NSA/FBI would need to control all 3 nodes to see what's going over the network. Sure, they control some, but they don't control them all. Plus, with the internet becoming more and more HTTPS, it will be harder to eavesdrop.

Still, TOR without exit nodes is NOTHING, TOR needs exit nodes for pretty much 90% of it's usage, and you saying [CITATION NEEDED] like a fucking retard is just proof of how fucking lazy you are and can't even look up metrics

Also doesn't change the fact that rendez-vous points are weak points, but I'm pretty sure you're going to respond "Huh you're changing the conversation huh you don't know shit huh you're cocky huh you're saying what i'm going to say huh and you just said that huh you saying huh just proves that you are 'uneducated' and a 'cocky person', bollocks."

Just admit that you were wrong.

>you need exit nodes, they just become intermediaries when you use hidden services
>you need exit nodes, they just become intermediaries when you use hidden services

Factually wrong.

Holy shit, can YOU even look up metrics? For fuck's sake, PLEASE learn how to use Google, Anybody who's even touched Tor knows how those work.

The man and I were talking with respect to a 'non-serious' incident (i.e. unlikely to be a concern for national security agencies, will be dealt with at a local police level), and he said that the police were still able to track browsing history even when an individual was using Tor. The meaning I took from this was that in this specific instance the police will retrieve the individual's Tor browsing history but, like I say, there's a good chance that he was simply trying to intimidate me.

Jesus, what a bunch of fucking fudd in this thread.

Can a mod simply ban tor threads from now on? The amount of stupidity is astounding.

>The amount of stupidity is astounding.
Welcome to Sup Forums

>trivial to track people using tor
>really easy to bypass guys
>however, FBI relies on distributing malware, deploying java script exploits and using social engineering for all their busts
>99% exploits are related to the tor browser
>countless articles mentioning using tor makes it very difficult to caught criminals

The only tor bust that was actually "tor network" related was the guy who ran a site and kept the same node up too long. this made it easy to analyze the servers traffic over a period of time and thus traced. that method only works on those running tor sites.

>Is it true that the police

Actually you don't need to be a sworn officer. Council parking officers, animal control, the taxi commission and the ports authority can all access your complete browsing history by flashing their ID card at the Tor browser.

>really easy to bypass guys
Well maybe not for the FBI and NSA but Sup Forums expert hackers can bypass Tor in their sleep.

>this made it easy to analyze the servers traffic over a period of time and thus traced. that method only works on those running tor sites.

Source? Genuinely interested.

Ehm hello?? Bridges guard nodes clean socks proxies and so on there are so many ways to improve your experience just be creative

But 1024 can be a hexadecimal number user.

Finding the source again would be a pain. I know was a kiddie site, but none of the 'major' ones. It definitely involved a man in the US.

No. You are completely safe.

some VPN services allow VPN through tor.

So even if they have logs to hand over they only see exit nodes of TOR.

Does this really hold up in court? It's like saying "We don't have any proof he murdered anyone but he was there at the time so he must be guilty."

how did the network determine he was using tor

That was a very special case and has only been used once or twice.

>How Tor Users Got Caught - Defcon 22

>Harvard bomb threat
old case. he was the only one on campus using tor. go figure

> getting caught for logging on to IRC one time without tor
ditto

>javascript exploit
ditto

>Ross Ulbricht (Dread Pirate Roberts) making too many mistakes
ditto

Thanks for regurgitating the same information that has been around for years.

It looks different from regular HTTP(S) traffic. Maybe if he had used a bridge with obfs they wouldn't have caught him. Probably would have been safe as well had he tunneled everything through a VPN since they wouldn't even have been able to prove he used Tor.

Well, you can see with this thread that this kind of information, despite being around for years, is still not known.

It never hurts to regurgitate sometimes.

If they get physical access to your hard drive they can get your browsing history.

If you want to be anonymous make sure your final proxy is through a non tor exit. You can find a list of free proxies that offer high anonymity. If you don't know how to bounce your traffic through multiple proxies then you shouldn't be browsing anything illegal.

Course not.
The thing is, the police can arrest you for that, and then interrogate you.
Turns out that in the bomb threat case, the idiot confessed after being picked up.

You're right- it's really weak evidience- it's coincidental. But if you fucking confess then it doesn't matter. It's just the evidence the police use to pick you up.

Like "he was there at the time the murder happened so he's a suspect" kind of thing.

more stealth spyware than backdoors

>tor
Newfag detected. You're supposed to use 7 proxies.

youtu.be/zXUcYMscIbE

If they can't explain the attack in detail they have no idea what they're talking about.
Case in point >do some Voodoo shit to still find you.
He has no proof, he has no clue what the's talking about, he's just parroting shit he's head on Sup Forums over and over by people who also have no clue. If Tor was broken it would be BIG news.

I don't get why people can't understand the simple logic that a VPN can see everything you do on tor. All that tor privacy is gone when a VPN receives all the shit your doing to wgen they send it to you

>what is https

>If Tor was broken it would be BIG news.
well there's still that classified exploit from the fbi, which was used on that last pedo site they busted.

People slay me talking to the cops.

It's literally your right to keep quiet and wait for a public defender to be assigned to you, The police are not your friends they are scum that live off the taxpayers and get paid to meet quotas, They literally don't give a damn about anyone that's not a cop or related to one, Its like a mob.

You do know that doesn't hide the information right? All that does is hide it tell it hits the VPN server, before that server pushes you the information that shows up on the VPN.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Who will guard the guards themselves?

Not sure what you're saying. If anything, the VPN knows the IP to forward the request but that's it. Everything it gives and receives is encrypted if you're on HTTPS.

NSA has mostly defeated the spread of HTTPS with the use of Cloudflare.

Hes BSing you.

>Hes BSing you

With respect to which part exactly? Do you think regional police do have the resources to counter the anonymity of Tor?

>If they get physical access to your hard drive they can get your browsing history

Even if Tor was used?

Seriously?

You know what, I'm not surprised at all how some people get caught.

Fucking hell.

Care to explain why? TOR is in "incognito" mode and should not leave history or cookie trace on the machine.

Sorry but I'm not too tech-savvy. I don't use my computer for anything illegal (or, at least, nothing that police would be concerned with), but I have used Tor in the past because I'm not comfortable with my online privacy being compromised. As far as I understood it, Tor operates through a series of thousands of computers with multiple layers of encryption, so I don't understand how that would leave some sort of physical trace on the hard-drive, unless material was uploaded or downloaded from the hard-drive.

To be honest, a lot of people who work for intelligence agencies (my experience is with CSIS) tell people they can get literally any information that currently, or has ever existed. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's not realistically something you need to worry about as long as you take some basic precautions and aren't brown.

Can anyone shed any further light on this, seeing as the person who says it's obvious seems to have disappeared?