Gtx 1060 vs RX 480?

I'm getting both the gtx 1060 6gb and the RX 480 8gb for the same price. Which should I get?

Based on all the reviews I have seen the 1060 beats the 480 but people are saying that the 480 is much more future proof

Both are cards with custom dual fan coolers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sRo-1VFMcbc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>I'm getting both the gtx 1060 6gb and the RX 480 8gb for the same price. Which should I get?

I thought you were buying both?

RX 480
/thread

performance is about the same (depending on what games and settings you cherrypick for benchmarking the results can skew either way. The texture fill rate on the 480 is 130% but the pixel fill rate is 50% compared to 1060)

the raw computing power of the 480 but it matters mostly for technical stuff like numerical simulations, altcoin mining or password hashing

the 1060 is ~15% faster than the 480 for the same price.

Excluding the games AMD helped develop, the 1060 gives higher 1080p frame rates at a lower TDP. Neither card is good enough for 1440p or 4K.

they're saying the 480 is more future proof because it has better dx12 performance. which is pretty much irrelevant, because all games will support dx11 for the next 5 years at least.

amd 480. vulkan is the future. amd software is better too.

its also cheaper because freesync monitors are an open standard and gsync costs hundreds more.

480 is not a card to use with a freesync monitor. It doesn't get high enough frame rates at 1440p/4K, and only a complete idiot would get a 1080p freesync monitor.

>What is 144hz 1080p Freesync

Get whichever ones cheaper but don't go below 4GB

470 4Gb.

Yeah the 3gb 1060 seems positioned to rip people off should be branded as a 1050.

A terrible investment

Similar problem. Should i build a 1350€ pc with i7 and 1070 or one with i5 and 1060 or 480 or 970 that will cost 900-1100€?
The pc will be for work and gaming

Will you use your graphics card for work? If yes, then buy a RX 480, if not, then choose what you will.

what games do you play?
what software do you need for work?

480 gets more driver improvements, give it a year and it'll tower over the 1060. It already does now with Vulkan.

1060 meanwhile has severe lag issues in its drivers.

what? gtx1060 has same price as rx480?
lel ayyymd bankrupt confirmed

I think the writing is on the wall.

256bit bus + 2GB extra VRAM + Async + AMD's terrible early drivers = RX480 beating the 1060 in the future.

No. Maybe some casual editing, but thats it..

>what games do you play?
WoT, WoWS, WT, CSGO, LoL, Skyrim, Total War
>what software do you need for work?
MS Office, VMware, IntelliJ, RStudio, Texmaker, Adobe Acrobat

That should be it, i hope..

480 + Freesync monitor

I'd likely go with AMD 480 8GB if it's around the same price as 1060 6GB. 1060 3GB isn't even worth considering for anyone as long as the 460 and 470 are around. If you want cheaper I'd look at the 470 4GB. AMD's drivers have been pretty damn good imo and even the first iteration of GCN cards like the HD 7900 series cards still see performance improvements on today's drivers.

I'd also keep in mind for any future monitor purchases. Freesync is the way of the future not Gsync. It's like BetaMax and VHS sort of where Freesync=VHS. Personally I have two 1080p 16:10 monitors that refuse to die so until there is too good to be true deals or they blow up I don't really require a 1080 or simlar.

>amd
>driver improvement

nigga what

>The amount of amd shilling in here

Let's look like amd's track record, have they ever lived up to the hype?

>480
>futureproof

>"it will get better with age"

The amd shill war cry

Also take into consideration that the 480 can be put into crossfire but the 1060 cannot do SLI. Only relevant if you plan to buy more GPU's down the road.

Pic not relevant

True but I wouldn't rely on it too much.

>june 2016 to may 2016

so thats the time for amd to release 1 whql driver

>Really

First off we know how terrible amd's drivers are with a single card and now we're talking about crossfire?

Don't think there is a reason to buy an Nvidia GPU unless it's a 1080 possibly.

>same price

Holy shit why are you even asking this question? 1060 all day. The 480 is supposed to be like $50 cheaper than the 1060 but if they're the same price go with the superior performing card obviously. That's the 1060 by a big margin right now.

Also forget the >futureproof meme. That's only really relevant with higher tier cards and not these budget mainstream cards which will barely last over 2 years at max. If that.

The 480 is really bad compared to the 1060, pic related

>Also forget the >futureproof meme. That's only really relevant with higher tier cards and not these budget mainstream cards which will barely last over 2 years at max

I beg to differ as I still have a rig running an HD 7950 and a 290. They're at least five years old or younger and perform better today than any of the cards they were supposed to compete with even newer generation cards they weren't. They also support the latest features unlike most Nvidia products.

go nvidia. just for software support. AMD reminds me Nintendo and gamefreak producing a new pokemon game every year. They put different shit in every game. they not improve games starting from the good parts of the previous one. they just make another shit, and another, and another...

The 1060 is faster and quieter but if you like vulkan games, get the RX 480

>doom

This. The only worthwhile Nvidia gpus right now are the 1080 and the new Titan X Ultimate. Either get those or wait for AMD's Vega.

AMD because of freesync and DX12 that will be common in 2017+

We can't support Freesync so let's gimp our cards. Screw the goys.

(((Nvidia))) merchant leave

gtx 1050 vs rx 460?

Are you legit stupid? Why are you bringing in high end enthusiast tier cards like the 290 into this when I said "budget mainstream"? A fucking budget mainstream 2xx series card would be a 280 and not a 290. And don't even bring up that 7950 ever again. That wasn't a budget mainstream card either. A card like the 7770 would be budget mainstream. The 7950 is utter dogshit today anyway since the more powerful 7970 is basically a 280x now and that card is trash in modern titles.

8pin 480

rx470

Nvidia can support freesync if they wanted to, but the problem is it clashes with their $200 proprietary version.
Imagine trying to sell the idea that you should support something that makes gsync obsolete

Considering the old 950 demolishes the new 460 I'd say wait for the 1050 as it will probably dig the 460s grave.

RX 480

nvidia is gay but not that gay

You're to smart to be on this site.

Can 1060s do VR?

Why should they? They basically have a monopoly over the pc gaming hardware space (70/80%) and they know that since a massive majority of people will be rocking nvidia hardware, the market for Gsync is there for them. The only people who shill freesync or even know it exists are amd babbys on this board. I bet you that 90% of casual gamers don't know there's anything other than Gsync.

hahahahahaha. vive is kill.

I found a Sapphire nitro r9 fury at like 30 Eurobongs more than the price for a 480/1060.

Any reason why I shouldn't get it?

>First off we know how terrible amd's drivers are with a single card

This is how we know you have not owned an AMD since 2006

just ordered my 1060

coming from a 750ti im fucking hyped. i might just skip classes if i get it on a school day fuckit kek

Currently have a 680.

So fucking torn between 480 and 1060. Seems like no matter how many of these threads, they offer no clarity.

However, I feel myself leaning towards the 1060.

The fucking struggle is real.

show me a reference card that doesnt suck at cooling

i have and they do suck. i love waiting a year between whql drivers before the shit known as crimson came along

nVidia intentionally designs shitty reference heatsinks so that suckers like you will eat up the shit that PNY and ASUS put out

>i love waiting a year between whql drivers

The only difference between those and the whql ones is that they paid a couple grand to get the whql certification.

They don't make any difference quality wise. See the nvidia drivers which burned down cards: all were WHQL certified.

Kek people recommending nvidia with frame latency issues

Buy 290x, needed bios update out of the box just to function. Finally get bios from manufacturer. Overclocks over +1% = insta-crash. Returned for 780 sli. Haven't looked back. Also had a 5770 back in the day, before I knew any better.

Gtx 1080 masterrace checking in. Amd shills eat shit.

>2016
>still being a poorfag

>only a complete idiot would get a 1080p freesync
Explain why this is idiotic

Sorry to hear you're still a poorfag

Yeah that's why I shill for amd

Oh

Wait

>that's you bro

>hurr durr I can't figure out how to RMA a card
>hurr durr I'm butthurt because I got a bad card
End you life, desu

The i5 + 1060/480/970 will be plenty, unless you're running a 4k or 144hz display.

responding with shill and poor fag when AMD drivers are currently less shit than Nvidia.

rx 480 costs less can be xfired lil weaker than 1060

Desu I sent it back to newgg for another 290x and it was exactly the same as the first. A big pile of shit

N
E
V
E
R

H
A
D

A
N

I
S
S
U
E

pls respond

Looks like someone got punished by mum.

Stop lying out of your ass. I have several friends who own amd and I normally don't give a shit about brand wars but all they do is complain about drivers and problems with applications like maya and shit. One of them has a 390 and he couldn't play gta 5 without it crashing after 10 mins for 6 months before amd released the driver fix. You can even search it up yourself. Amds drivers truly are terrible.

> next year
> op wants upgrade
> gtx 1060 no sli
> fucked up

>sli/cf

rx 480 4way cross fire
gtx 1060 no sli -> fucked up

It will need 550W+ PSU. Might also be loud, check reviews. Otherwise go for it.

>implying sli/cf are relevant

Enjoy your crash, your no driver and your shitty frame times

3x 24" 1080p, but only one for muh games.
A 1440p in the future would be nice, though.

The fucks that want to run 4 or even two 480's. HA!
Get that 1200 watt PSU and have a fire extinguisher in every room.

I checked and should be quiet as fuck and I have a 620w PSU

2 way sli works fine and is cheaper than an upgrade
People who make 3 or 4 way sli/cf setups are idiots

Green = CF. A lot games have no drivers

You only need one Nvidia card for a house fire.

!!!THE ORIGINAL AND UNDEFEATED CHAMPION OF THE HOUSE FIRE!!!

youtube.com/watch?v=sRo-1VFMcbc

You make me blush senpai

>RX480 within striking distance of the 980Ti

If Vulkan takes off then the RX480 will be the clear winner over the 1060.

Its great for that price, go for it

What about without tssaa/ async compute?

>hat's only really relevant with higher tier cards and not these budget mainstream cards which will barely last over 2 years at max. If that.
No. R9 7870 is still a relevant card, released in early 2012. Four and a half years old. Pic related.

The 480 is this gen's equivalent to the 7870.

How much PSU does the Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 470 needs? I don't want to call the fire department.

> (OP)
>>same price
>budget mainstream cards which will barely last over 2 years at max. If that.
Still rocking a budget mainstream hd 5750 here.
Still maxing out my shitty gayms at 1080p.
7 years and counting.

The 7870 is DX12 supported correct?

I bought the 1060 strix because I will never buy a single fan gpu card again. Its nice to play gamens in quiet, so I paid the ASUS tax.

Also shadowplay is handy to have.

yes.