Tfw Linux on the desktop is dead

>tfw Linux on the desktop is dead

Other urls found in this thread:

netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=9&qpcustomb=0&qpsp=187&qpnp=24&qptimeframe=M
github.com/haasn/gentoo-conf/commit/f91b77daac30dd332237f3f04b078af64773d690#diff-636b990cc3d422488f90924b0f3a85c5L7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

True. Linux isn't retard friendly and computer illiterates are the majority of desktop users

>implying it was ever alive

>tfw will never boot into windows 10 partition again because it will wipe my linux partition

netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=9&qpcustomb=0&qpsp=187&qpnp=24&qptimeframe=M

>April 1.65%
>May 1.79%
>June 2.02%
>July 2.33%

>nerds actually think Linux will be one day be widely adopted

>Linux will surpass 100% marketshare in less than two years

Thank you based curve fitting

What did you expect? It doesn't even have a decent window compositor.

>primarily a desktop user
>only really use my laptop when away from home
>have had Linux on all of my computers for years
>people keep saying there's no such thing as Linux on desktops/Linux won't survive on the desktop
I seriously don't get this maymay.
It works just fine on desktops, functions fine for a workstation, or as a family computer, or for personal use.

Came to post this. After dicking around with several distros this month because I foolishly believed it would be better than the last time I tried linux, only one had no screen tearing.

If you faggots can't make it work at least as good as windows 10 out of the box, then you need to hang it up.

everything works better than windows

I literally just explained one thing that doesn't. Think before pressing submit next time, nerd.

I found a convoluted way to fix this

linux: the post

No, more like
>windows 10: the post
It had retarded settings with uefi which prevents you from booting into grub

anecdotes

otoh i have mac laptop and linux desktop, only one problem which i solve by vm: Traktor S5 hardware not recognized

enjoy your game not launching and then having no option to launch from command line to see error messages, and having no idea whats wrong!

I've been running GNU plus Linux as my main desktop for over 10 years.
Also I have 16 GiB of RAM.
$ free -m --si
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 16388 2145 597 1235 13645 12669
Swap: 9437 438 8998

meme amount of RAM, too much for normies, too little for Sup Forumsurus

I distribute my workload
Desktop: 16 GiB
First server: 16 GiB
Second server: 16 GiB
Laptop: 8 GiB

# free -m --si
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 16119 15861 257 0 0 4130
-/+ buffers/cache: 11730 4388
Swap: 4194 4191 3

WAIT, THIS HAPPENS. WHAT THE FUCK.

I dual boot my desktop with Windows Server 2012 and Linux

>#

Also I have a pretty normie laptop:
$ free -m --si
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 7895 7295 600 1881 1023 2731
-/+ buffers/cache: 3540 4354
Swap: 6138 545 5593
Linux works pretty great on systems with a lot of different specs.

You don't need super-amazing specs to do things with technology. Though, when I do need something heavier, I generally distribute the load.

> 2016
> not using free -h
$ free -h
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 31G 8,6G 440M 4,2G 22G 18G
Swap: 0B 0B 0B

free -h displays lying American units for historical reasons.
Use "free -h --si" to get correct SI / ISO units.

> I'm too retarded to dual boot
> I think changing the boot partition wipes out the other partitions.

Wew

Also, any way to get it to display 3 significant digits instead of two?

www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/08/windows-10-anniversary-update-delete-partition

>tfw paid microsoft shills continue shitposting on Sup Forums and Sup Forums DOES NOTHING ABOUT IT
Fuck you, Microsoft, and come the fuck on Sup Forums, this is ridiculous.

thats not true, i lauch every windows software through terminal, and when something goes bad its shows the problem, and solving with help on google search. The problem its always the user that is lazy to solve any problem.

doesn't basically every software on windows fork immediately, not showing anything in cmd?

>correct
Computers use powers of 2, not 10.

There are 1024 bytes in a kilobyte. The liars are fucking HDD manufacturers that started using this power of 10 shit to market their drives as bigger than they really were.

Learn how computers really work, kids. It's pathetic that you're all falling for the lies and bullshit fed to you by greedy shit corporations that have taken over computing.

It makes more sense to define "kilo", "mega" as 1e3 and 1e6 consistently across everything.
one gigawatt =1e9 watt, 1 kilogram = 1000 m, 1 megabyte = 1e6 bytes

>Computers use powers of 2, not 10.
Correct.

>There are 1024 bytes in a kilobyte.
False. Kilo = 1000, and it has been long before computers were even invented. It's a common mistake. You're thinking of Kibi. 1 Kibibyte = 1024 Byte.

nice to see the 16gb of ram guy moving on to bigger and better baits

Congratulations to GNOME, the ALSA crew, Kroah-Faggotman, Lennart, and all other Freedesktop-types who succeeded where Microsoft failed.

From a user perspective, "Linux on the desktop" is the most unstable and inconsistent it has ever been.

The dream is dead, I've given up.

Fuck.

No one uses it on the desktop solely. They all dual boot.

>16gb of ram guy

Well my 32 GB are well used. (Currently 1.5G free). I basically have everything in RAM. When I download a 10 GB RAR I can extract it in seconds, because it is automatically cached completely. When I do something like compile larger projects or whatever I put it in /tmp so it's immediate. My ~/.cache and similar folders are also in RAM.

I was implying that OP was the same guy that spent a few months posting that same image with "tfw you fell for the 16 GB of ram meme" everyday

Any downsides to having ~/.cache in RAM? Having to remake thumbnails on every boot? I don't think that'd be too big of a problem though.

Wrong. I've got 3 Ubuntu installs and 5 Arch installs across numerous computers. I haven't used Windows in years and don't miss anything about that horrible piece of crap.

Have not noticed any so far. Just watch out if you don't have swap like me or some of your 90 chrome tabs will start getting killed.

Ah. I usually don't browse Sup Forums, I actually first saw that meme in some guys mpv.conf.

Where he also actually changed it to 32GiB:
github.com/haasn/gentoo-conf/commit/f91b77daac30dd332237f3f04b078af64773d690#diff-636b990cc3d422488f90924b0f3a85c5L7

>No one uses it on the desktop solely. They all dual boot.
I haven't had a Windows installation since 2005.

>Any downsides to having ~/.cache in RAM?
tmpfs is the better choice. It automatically moves the data to swap when you actually need the RAM

Thats what I meant / use.

I don't have swap tho so no difference for me

I have two separate computers. One with Arch that has terrible specs, and one with Windows 10 that has amazing specs, used for games.

Guess which one runs better during everyday tasks.

Try CubLinux, it's normie friendly m8.

>idiots don't realize linux is already used basically everywhere

It's working fine over here user.

In 5 years Andriod will be better at desktop than linux will ever be.

Install Windows first. Grub will recognize the Windows installation and add a boot option for it whereas the Windows bootloader won't detect a Linux install. I don't believe it removes partitions by default, you probably have to delete your own partitions when creating one for your Windows install.