When did people forget that they can actually host their own websites? I'm thinking late 2000s, but I'm not sure

When did people forget that they can actually host their own websites? I'm thinking late 2000s, but I'm not sure.

It's hilarious watching people have a meltdown over something as trivial as YouTube making some rules about which videos can be monetized. Every single one of these retarded "content providers" could just rent some cheapo Chink server for $5.00/year and post all their videos on there and cram their new website as full of AdSense garbage and other advertisements as they want. Slap on an RSS feed as a subscription system and some simple copypasted comment system and now you basically have your personal Youtube.

The same goes for image hosting sites, blogs and other simple shit. It would take literally minutes to set up this kind of a system. Why don't people host their own stuff anymore and instead just bitch about the current centralized options?

Simplicity. People are lazy.

Because it's less reliable, and most of all have shitty SEOs.

They're self-entitled.

>That image from American textbook
>American network education

>and most of all have shitty SEOs
Does this even matter for content like images, blogs and videos? I'd imagine most traffic would come through being linked on places like Facebook and reddit.

You don't get the traffic if you post to shitspace.com. For people's earnings based on ad revenue or YouTube Red watch time, Traffic means a lot.

What I've also been wondering is that for some reason, podcasts still selfhost for some reason. I mean there are also YouTube versions of the most popular ones, but there really isn't a single big site like YouTube for podcast shows. Everyone just hosts their own site and an RSS feed. Why does this work for podcasts but not for video content?

iTunes, motherfucker

Does it actually host the podcast files or is it just an RSS feed aggregator? I just use gpodder.

Lots use libsyn to host their podcasts.

Frankly I'd rather just have every big youtuber cancel their monetization and go fully with their sponsors (I realize some of them are youtube partners and have contracts with youtube, so just wait till those contracts are up). I'd love to see how youtube handles that if it were to actually happen on a large scale.

that would be good for google since then they can take all the ad revenue

its easier for your everyday joe to have everything he needs on a single webpage/app

messaging, calling, sharing photos, scheduling events, etc. all used to be on different platforms and the day people started bundling them together the market exploded.

Youtube provides an audience that your personal website can never find.

I'd be willing to bet that >95% of youtube videos never get more than a 100 views. There's no magical audience that you'll automatically get just by posting your videos there.

It's pretty sad, really.

I really wish we could completely undo the last 10-15 years of "technology" (garbage) and start over, not making the dumb mistakes we've made to get us here.

The technology is fine, it's the users that are useless

What makes you think those same mistakes wouldn't be made again? Everything that has happened has happened for a reason.

People with 100 view don't care about monetization.

They don't get views because there is no market for them.

If you want your video to get views then you either need to upload high quality and useful content or at least good looking clickbait. Uploading your video in 1080p or higher helps too.

I am still looking for a decent script/cms to share my images and videos.

You don't even need that expensive of a server to host a website with videos/images. Especially since Webp and VP9 exist.

A ~$1,200 Xeon-D 1540 build is more than enough even for video hosting.

Why not host the videos on youtube but make them unlisted, and embed the videos on your website with your own ads?

Most don't have the knowledge to securely lock down a 24/7 connected linux server. Or provide a load balancing content provider.