Want to format USB drive

>want to format USB drive
>format SSD by accident
>error: file '/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found.
>grub rescue>

I dont know how anyone fucks this up. If you dont know what drives you have doesn't the size clue you in?

1. don't use sudo dd
2. don't use sudo dd
3. check lsblk -a before doing it

YOU CANT MAKE THIS SHIT UP

It happens when you aren't really pay attention and accidentally type /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/sdb1

lol idiot how the hell u did that? i remembered the old grub/lilo it showing how big your drive is, and how much space left on drive. There's noway you fucking up.

Why the fuck are you using the command line for that? Doesn't your operating system come with a thing called graphical user interface?

>2016
>not using gparted
Kill yourself.

some ISOs require dd, no matter what shitters ITT say.

I've done it too. Never again

Luckily that's easily fixed, though. Just restore from backup.

OP here, I was on auto-pilot and did everything in seconds... not really focused.

Now I'm at work and don't even have admin privileges to run Rufus (or any other software) to make a bootable USB and would rather kill myself than e-mail IT.

Fortunately, I back my important shit up regularly.

Lol

Thats why they call it a terminal kid

>accidentally type /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/sdb1
if your fingers are that fat, you should see a doctor

Lots of graphical tools are less clear about what they do than command-line tools, especially without man pages.

rufus let's you use dd

it's probably only the fs header that was overwrote
I used a utility that recovers lost fs headers called testdisk once it was very effective

I never did that, but then again, I use a superior form of user input - a GUI. ;^)

>windows

That's why you use /dev/disk/by-id/...