>get a free beer
>it's gratis

>download itunes
>it's libre

Why does this distinction matter?

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

As to avoid ambiguity and communicate better.

Same reason why people use different names.

Hope that cleared your doubts.

because you don't understand it

itunes isn't libre, it's gratis

Because freedom and free of charge are not the same thing.

>decompile itunes
>it's now libre

>free != free
ok then

>freedom to take one home
>freedom to so whatever you want with it
Not the same.

This kind of distinction is so fucking stupid it could only exist digitally

>somebody gives you a gratis shovel
>implying I can't do whatever the fuck I want with the shovel, like modify the handle, sharpen it, or paint it

>take one, but you must first sign this paper saying you can't paint it
You can still paint it anyways, but you would be breaking the legal agreement.

gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html

Assuming that logic beer isn't libre since you don't know the exact ingredients.

iTunes is gratis, it is not libre. Words mean things, dude.

Does the leaked KFC recipe make KFC libre?

Yes it does.

Reminder that free software is any software that you don't pay for.

So the only thing holding back a gratis program from being libre is that it hasn't been decompiled yet?

>you don't know the exact ingredients.

It's on the label you idiot.

It literally doesn't matter, I can do whatever I want with my shovel. Whether my painting a shovel is "Gratis" or "Libre" is for autists with too much time on their hands to argue about.

No. That's piracy.

No it's not

Take coke for example. It tells shit on the label but do you know how to make the exact same drink? Didn't think so you idiot.

IT'S A MEME YOU DIP

Beer isn't libre, that's the point. It's just gratis.

Yeah, right. There are laws saying you can't kill people, and you can still go crazy and kill people anyways, but that doesn't make killing legal.

>It tells shit on the label but do you know how to make the exact same drink?

Yes: take the ingredient on the label and mix them together.
It's really no more complicate than that.

Did you even finish high school retard? Do you know what proportions are dumbass? I bet you're parents regret not having aborted you, Jesus.

We're talking about shovels, not murder, edgemaster.

Alcoholic beverages don't list ingredients or nutrition facts.

Gratis: It has no monetary cost
Libre: It doesn't restrict your rights
It's not a digital distinction, it's a linguistic distinction that exists in every non-retarded language.

>Be in prison

>Guard gives me a muffin for lunch

>"I'm free!"

>words are hard...

No, if the author (copyright holder) hasn't given you actual permission to copy and redistribute the source code, you're not allowed to do it. Congratulations you now have some source code that you can't give anyone. Also you may have broken the proprietary license agreement by decompiling it.

not even close to correct. but you got a (You)

>shovels can't be used for murder
Owning a thing doesn't give you the right to do absolutely anything you want with that thing. If someone gives or sells you a shovel, you're not allowed to use it to murder someone. If someone gives or sells you a copy of a program, you're not allowed to make more copies of that program unless the copyright holder gives you permission (usually in the form of a free/libre software license).

>mericans stealing spanish words
What's next, ser vs estar?

dumbest thread on Sup Forums right now, congrats

Well, if you go by the actual meaning of the words in their actual language, gratis is free as in $0, libre is free as in freedom. It shouldn't be complicated.

If the shovel seller gave me license, would I be able to kill people with it with no repercussion?

And were do I get a digging license?

explain

One version of the source code has been released to the public. Without the updated development tree, it's not even really open source, let alone free-as-in-it-gets-Richard-hard.