Those with a CS degree: do you consider yourself a mathematician?

Those with a CS degree: do you consider yourself a mathematician?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry–Howard_correspondence
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes.

I am currently pursing a CS Degree, but I am only at the freshman level (for CS classes). I have taken and currently am taking calculus, and I could see myself studying mathematics further.

I think the main reason why I chose CS over ENG is that I will be focusing on programming more, logic, and data science.

I generally consider myself an amateur mathematician.

My mathematical knowledge is not nearly as in-depth as somebody with mathematics degree, but that doesn't stop me from spending free time learning more about and practicing the field.

Also, I personally think you could easily consider large parts of CS to be a field of mathematics, and the line between the two is often blurred. But my mathematical knowledge is still only very focused on the CS-related parts, rather than covering a broad spectrum of understanding like a true mathematician should have.

math is boring to me unless i can apply it somehow to real life, like in CS.

My CS degree is a math degree.

Lol nope. At this point I'm a glorified code monkey with an understanding of algorithmic analysis. Maybe (MAYBE) if I got a PHd in CS I could come close to thinking of myself as a mathematician.

yee

End yourself.

a fake one maybe
not the kind that gets 300k starting

What kind of mathematician gets 300k starting?

I have a question for those here

what math class are you in and what is your year and age?

I'm freshman in uni and being in precal right now I just feel very behind everyone else. The class only lasts a semester, so I'll be in calc soon and also taking summer courses. It's also probably not as bad as it seems because I've looked at calc 1 material independently so I'm conceptually familiar with it even if not sharpened in it as I'd get in a proper class.

>Update
Personally, I struggled hard in precalc because it was my first real math class in such a long time, and I had a prof who went through the material way to quickly.

By the time I got to calculus, I had already learned how to teach myself math, and what I should do when I am struggling with a certain concept. Calc 1 wasn't too bad in comparison to precalc for me, but it still required a lot of effort to stay on top of it.

Good luck

I had to redo calc I 4 times.

that is not encouraging
sorry to hear
what did you keep running into?

19, Sophomore at Cornell
Got Cal 1 and Cal 2 AP credit so dropped Lin Alg since I would be taking an unnecessary math credit (pursuing bioinformatics otherwise I would have stuck with Lin Alg for CS obv)

Currently taking discrete math and getting my ass handed to me, probably because I'm playing too much Overwatch.

No. I get paid six figures a year to shit out javascript every day. I make more than most of the professors. I don't give a fuck about whether my work is "rigorous" or not.

yes, i call myself a mathematician, a scientist, and an engineer

what? Discrete math is easy as fuck dude

No. Mathematicians laugh at us for a reason. But I certainly appreciate math more than the average Joe.

Hmm, it's been notoriously hard here the last 2 sems but some others have told me it's easy. I think it will take a while for proofs to click with me, they take me a long time to think through.

I call myself a little girl.

math is fucking useless

your life is fucking useless :^)

whats math?
why is it good

>always wanted to be a "programmer"
>fail math 3 times
>get a network admin degree
>spend my days watching people post retarded shit on Faceberg

...but life is math.

Then life is useless...

Math is an artificial construct that exists primarily in the mind.

...but can accurately describe every aspect of life.

shut up

While I doubled in math I've not done any significant math outside the classroom setting. So not really.

I have a math minor, and finished calculus iv last year. I'm taking differential equations, discrete math, and linear algebra this year. So yes.

People are saying they're freshman and taking discrete math
What is it anyway

The golden boys of /sci/.

No, CS math is just surface math.

shut up

>No, CS math is just surface math.

Yes.

[spoiler]Disclaimer: I have a B. Math.[/spoiler]

most boring story ever.

I look at it like you can study math and learn math explicitly or you can learn the same math via utilizing it in programming math implicitly. The logic follows the same rules and always will for that matter. Math is life reality while programming is built on math.

>any math more advanced than the current level I'm at is for people with no life, any level of math below mine isn't real math, it's surface at best. yep, the level of math I'm at is the best and objectively perfect level of math that anyone can be at, no bias here

uh-huh

I did a double degree cs/math so yes.

Also, programs are theorems.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry–Howard_correspondence

Yes but my professors considered the degree to be job training.

>IUT not in tier below them all

have you sucked your daily dick yet fagboi

>CS students considering themselves programmers
If they learned their programming from school. They're not programmers.
You could easily replace them with automatic code generation and likely have far better results.

yes, I sucked your mom's ;)

It can only accurately describe logic.

That has nothing to do with the topic on hand.
When I was 5 years old I could do arithmetic.
Arithmetic is math, therefore by your logic when I was 5 I was a mathematician.

Good luck getting a job if you don't have a CS degree. Best you'll get is some temp web programming job, if the Indians don't already take that job from you.

It's best to be both a decent programmer, as well as have some certs and/or a degree to back that up.

Being just a neckbeard that read SICP or knows Unity's aborted version of C# isn't really enough to land you a job.

I already have steady employment. Thanks for your concern.

I can't speak from the side of someone hiring but having interacted with these people and taught people who learned 'programming' from college programming I'd only hire people who can prove themselves in some way. For me a degree doesn't matter unless we specifically care about what they've learned in school.
But I don't hire. So maybe it's hard to get a job without it. I suggest anyone who actually cares becomes self employed then. Because there's no real competition around.
>C#
>SICP
Do you really think someone who complains about programming quality in college would be from that background?

I've a degrees in maths and HPC. I consider myself neither.

I fucking hate math but want to work in Sup Forums field
Suggestions?

Yes since I will have studied as much mathematics as they who major in it and I am looking to start a masters in mathematics with focus on theoretical computer science next fall

Yes, I do

And everything in existence is logical.

That's what CS is. A math major with a purpose.

Only our perception

better not study any math then, you could end up wasting a lot of time

Studying our perception of reality is all the same as studying our reality but in a technical sense.

Physics major here. Math is far from useless.

> One-Time Pad Decryption
For a few seconds I thought this wasn't shitposting.

this...leaves a lot to be desired. probably not made by anyone who has actually gotten into the lower levels.

Yes, because I'm studying theoretical computer science. I don't think programming or software engineering have much to do with math at all, but the more theoretical you get the more it borders on math and even philosophy and linguistics.

I took calculus 3 so yeah sure

It's like, set theory. probability etc.

>therefore by your logic when I was 5 I was a mathematician.

Can you please quote the specific logic I used to arrive at that conclusion? Clearly you are not a mathematician.

Are you saying programs aren't theorems?

No, I consider myself a glorified Java monkey and this is one of global top500 Shanghai ranking universities. God have mercy on lesser ones.

This thread is about being a mathematician.
Therefore I take your reply as evidence supporting the claim of being a mathematician (An assumption granted, but a soundly based one)
Your post notes that computer programs are mathematical proofs, and therefore are an aspect of mathematics.
By my assumption you can deduce that you're claiming that through the virtue of the action practiced being an aspect of mathematics, the practitioner must be a mathematician.
With that I extrapolate that through the virtue of arithmetic being an aspect of mathematics, by practicing arithmetic as a 5 year old I was a mathematician.

I'm getting both a math and physics Bachelor's, I want to get at least a Master's in CE.

>Your post notes that computer programs are mathematical proofs, and therefore are an aspect of mathematics.
>By my assumption you can deduce that you're claiming that through the virtue of the action practiced being an aspect of mathematics, the practitioner must be a mathematician.

Even assuming your soundly based assumption, you can't deduce that the claim that a programmer is writing theorems implies that anyone doing any aspect of maths makes them a mathematician. That is like me saying the claim that something with wings and an engine implies the claim that anything with an engine is a plane. Why not just deduce me saying that any aspect of writing or typing makes a mathematician? It is the same non sequitur and is much easier to make. But in fact, you would have to show that someone who writes theorems isn't necessarily a mathematician, not just one practicing any "aspect" of mathematics.

The theorem corresponding to a typical undergrad comp sci program is not the stuff of 5 year olds. Whether or not it makes a mathematician is subjective.

>dropping lin alg n a cs degree

are you sure about that

The work flow is differnt.

The closest to math is SQL, because in SQL you spend a lot of time thinking before you actually do something..

>math

Shit, was is this problem?!?!
Oh wait, I can throw this theorem at it.
OK, easier now, I can use this lemma.
But now then I have to assume it is an locally compact space..
Oh wait, it is if I look only at this set.

OK, now it's easy.

>programming

OK, this is easy.

I make a prototype.
Hmm, looks like it's not so easy, what about this and that?
OK, now it's done.

Wait, why is everything so slow?
Shit, I need a load balancer.
What, it's still slow?
OK, the problem is also in the backend.
Shit I have to rewrite this part, it's no good.

Well, I don't know why, but now it runs faster. Just don't touch it, OK?

Boolean algebra should not be that high up.

>Those with a CS degree: do you consider yourself a mathematician?
Yes, absolutely.

I'm a bio major pursuing bioinformatics. Lin Alg is fun but doesn't fulfill any requirements for my concentration or CS minor.

Depends on what you mean by mathematician, I probably know more math than at least some people with math degrees, but I don't work as a mathematician and never had, I know how to drive a taxi but I'm not a taxi driver.

More like a mathamagician who can actually get a job (not teaching) after college.

Fuck no. I'm shit at math, but CS is easy as hell.

I have a degree in mathematics and I don't consider myself a mathematician.

That's funny. The rest of us just call you a faggot.