I'm trying to install Linux Mint but I get this error

I'm trying to install Linux Mint but I get this error

Google results say Linux is not compatible with my motherboard (which is untrue)

I installed Mint initially after I built it, wiped it and tried Win10 for a week or so but didn't like it, so I'm switching back

It installed no problem first time round, but now I keep getting this problem

What the fuck is causing it? I'm inexperienced so have no idea. Reddit also let me down (works on my machine etc.)

I've tried disabling my secondary monitor to no avail

Other urls found in this thread:

lwn.net/Articles/676664/
techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
howtogeek.com/176495/ubuntu-developers-say-linux-mint-is-insecure-are-they-right/
cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mate/releases/16.04.1/release/ubuntu-mate-16.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso
linuxliveusb.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why the fuck would any sane person use Linux mint?

Install Ubuntu or one of its spins godamnit

I'm not sure, at this stage I'm more concerned about resolving my initial problem

I'll worry about the values of different distros later once I am more familiar

Not sure of the exact reason but here are some recommendations.
Try re-flashing flash drive with a copy of mint. Something might be messed up or corrupted it.
Try typing "ls bin/sh" if nothing comes up, there is something wrong since it is missing.

so you're trying to get in the live environment or you already did that and installed it and then got this?

Ubuntu is trash. Mint is superior to it in every way. Not only is Mint more beginner friendly but it is far less buggy from my experience. Not saying mint is the best distro, it's just much better than ubuntu.

I have Windows 10 installed, I am trying to boot into the live mode so I can install and wipe Windows

Have reflashed twice, using unetbootin and rufus to no avail. Will try this now.

Hmm, I believe windows 10 requires you to format your hard drive into UEFI, are you making sure it boots into the UEFI mode of the installer?

lwn.net/Articles/676664/

techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/

howtogeek.com/176495/ubuntu-developers-say-linux-mint-is-insecure-are-they-right/

It's inferior to Ubuntu in so many ways

Try Ubuntu MATE x64 LTS

cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mate/releases/16.04.1/release/ubuntu-mate-16.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso

Better support than Mint, by far. Your issue appears to be a faulty installation, prolly because Win10 UEFI. Get obanto MATE, it has newer and better driver/UEFI support.

When trying that from BIOS, it just goes to a black screen for a second then back to the BIOS menu

Not sure how one would format a hard drive in UEFI

Alright

I just want to get rid of Windows and git gud with Linux

>installing a tablet operating system onto a desktop

This is wrong. Try installing Ubuntu and see if you get the same problem.

if he installs ubuntu he'll have a new problem: ubuntu

lol yeah because mint > ubuntu. good one buddy.

Did it work? Ubuntu was the only distro I tried that sounds boot on my netbook, even mint would just load grub and then stop

>these are about the linux mint WEBSITE
Wow, it's literally nothing

How ignorant do you think people here are? Anyone who opens the link will see you're wrong, retard.

he's right about the second link

>second article is about the website
>third article explains that none of the ubuntu devs' comments are true and you can easily enable automatic kernel updates

Wew lad you sure showed me with those hot assertions

Yes but he said all of them are, not the second link

>usb 3-6: string descriptor 0 read error: -71
>unable to find a medium containing a live filesystem

OP, are you capable of reading and connecting the dots? Because if not, I genuinely fear for your linux-using career

M D 5
D

Yeah, it can't find a live file system

My question is, why?

Did Ubuntu work?

I am trying this soon
Making a bootable USB with Rufus as I type this

You're trying to boot off a USB drive, right? That means the live filesystem it's trying to find would be on the USB drive.

And it said something about USB errors. I'm no rocket science but I'm going to assume you should try a different USB drive, famalam

or a different USB port/hub*

I have tried several different brand to no avail

I booted, it gave me options, I selected install, now it's sitting on a black screen doing notjing

It loaded eventually, now I got this error

Ubuntu, or Ubuntu mate?

Ubuntu Mate

Try making the live usb again, that's a problem with grub.

Were you using ntfs or fat32?

Y O U R

D R I V E

I S

F U C K E D

Fat32

All of them?

Try again with ntfs.

Can it load the live distro, or did you just skip ahead to install?

Have you tried different usb ports / hubs / versions yet?

Format the USB to fat32, mount the ISO, copy everything over. Using Rufus to make Linux Live USB cause funky things to happen

Yes

I have tried different ports, drives and formats

I am now getting an error "boot error"

I have honestly tried everything, this problem only started occurring after installing new Win10 and now I'm wanting to go back to Linux, but get these issues

W
T
F

Maybe you're booting incorrectly? UEFI or regular legacy/BIOS? Try the other one you haven't

This is in the EFI folder of the USB drive

wtf?

Microsoft is keeping you on their side. There's no leaving now :^)
It looks like something that could be infected by a virus really. If you have a rooted Android device near you try using DriveDroid or a similar app to launch linux from your phone, or just make a bootable USB on a system which isn't infected. After you boot the OS, wipe clean your entire drive and then install whatever you want.

I have made a bootable USB on my room mates Mac with unetbootin

Booted, in my BIOS it displays 2x of UEFI 16gb and another with no UEFI

No matter what I select it either boots right back to the main screen and loads Windows, or it boots into a screen to select what to do to install and when selecting, displays kernel panic or goes back and reboots and boots into Windows

Is it possible for a virus to fuck your motherboard to stop you from booting into anything else? Do I just nuke the whole drive now and hope for the best? This is unreal, I've never experienced a problem like this before

Since everyone is here why can't I get my ethernet port on my mother board to work? Just installed Linux the port does work on windows.

OP here

Just letting you know I got it working with MATE

Don't use shit-tier generic USB drives even if they work for normal tasks

Fuck it mane

>usb read error
hmm
>unable to find medium containing a live file system
hmm

Maybe plug in the USB live Ubuntu image which you installed grub onto install of the hard drive, which isn't USB. hmm

You installed grub onto the USB flash drive you dumb shit.

None of you were any help

>format it in NTFS bro

I did this on my own

Sup Forums truly is a cesspool

Do a low level format on your USB drive.

If we're not there to personally see what's happening, it's difficult to provide support.

And fyi we tried helping you out of kindness and generosity, this isn't even the tech support board.

install gentoo

user, use dd for your ISOs, before creating LiveUSB verify that the ISO is proper with md5sum.

Also, don't install GRUB on your USB unless that is something you wan't for security.

try the LinuxLive USB Creator. worked fine for me

linuxliveusb.com/

And don't hear to the idiots blaming Linux Mint. It is one of the best distros and very good looking