How far behind x86 is ARM in terms of general performance?

How far behind x86 is ARM in terms of general performance?

general performance hasn't changed in 10 years. so zero.

ARM is not behind in performance, it is behind in efficiency

The main reason x86 id still preferred over ARM in bigger systems is because x86 processors keep using less power while also having more computational capabilities by being able to shrink the DIE size remarkably over time (mainly thanks to Intel)

What? Aren't arm processor used in smartphones because of the opposite reason?

ARM?

they are stuck in 2001 era in 2016 that's how far behind they are now.
two years ago they where stuck in 1997 so year ARM is rocketing up in just two years but X86 chip makers have not caught on yet lol.

one could argue that ARM only got 1/16th the funding of x86 but progressing at 5 times the pace.

If it keeps up this speed its gonna make some people sweat.

already x86 is kicked out of the moblie phone business

it will be years until arm will hit desktop users

atm only hybrid processors and better fabs are holding the fort for x86
it will be years untill ARM could be competitive
BUT IT WILL HAPPEN.

Look at geekbench results.
Cortex A73 competes incredibly well against current Atom cores. Still not near higher performance X86 like the Core i arch in its current iterations.

ARM designs inherently scale better to lower power. Low power however does not necessarily equate to efficiency. In terms of efficiency the top chips on the planet are Xeons for perf/watt.

Compared to x86, ARM processors in smartphone use power less efficiently. The reason why x86 chips in smartphones didnt take off was because by the time they came into the smartphone market Android had already become the majority platform and x86 had severe compatibility issues with it

x86 uses windows and mobile OSX

stupid troll.
Andriod was late in the game xp and win 7 phones already existed and apple was well into the smart phone market.

x86 had trouble at scaling at low power so like atom they just added more cores and better node shrinks to make up the failed attempt

arm uses power better but its instruction set is amateur tier hence is why surface 2 failed hard.

Do research please.
not after pulling shit out of your bum.

>x86 uses windows and mobile OSX

which was a pretty small market even as a whole

Doesn't it also use Linux and android and bsd and almost every OS abailable now?

True, but its all x86 had at the time of exit.

x86 can run them, but with Android it ran into problem of compatibility for most of its apps that seemed to be working fine on ARM

Without App compatibility x86 was pretty useless for Android in the market

this.

Which apps didn't run on x86?

pokemon go, the other niantic game, snapchat had some weird issues.

False. All apps run fine on my x86 phone.

What phone do you have?

Asus Zenfone 2

What?
Nahh, apps work fine. Android is Java

Whatever the case, ARM is better for low-power applications, x86 is better for high-performance applications.

Has anybody here ever used any kind of Intel Atom? They're SHIT, believe me.

Wouldn't that be a problem with GPS and not the game itself? Unity for android runs amazing on x86

>Has anybody here ever used any kind of Intel Atom? They're SHIT, believe me.
By what metric? Because mine works well.

The latest ARM chip, the exynos 8890 (used on Galaxy S7), has the FP performance of a dual core haswell i3 @ 2.4 GHz. This ARM chip has 8 cores

However not all 8 cores can be utilized at the same time if under heavy load, only the mongoose cores can be used in that scenario.

Anyway it seems that 4 mongoose ARM cores @ 2.3 GHz (4-core load) has about the same performance as 2 haswell x86 cores @ 2.4 GHz.

The bad news is is that such performance can't be sustained over time. Those mongoose cores probably throttle to 1.9 GHz if they were on max load after a few minutes.

So ARM is still shit but is at least now on par with shitty x86 kaveri AMD cores.

>>The main reason x86 id still preferred over ARM in bigger systems is because x86 processors keep using less power while also having more computational capabilities by being able to shrink the DIE size remarkably over time (mainly thanks to IBM)

Fixed

False. So much misinformation.

>false
>literally thousands of complaints on ASUS forums and XDA
Not to mention the various overheating and power consumption issues with the Atom CPU used in the Zenfones. They are notorious. Sorry if you bought into the Zenfone meme but let's not try to defend shitty products.

X3735f here, great for regular use, Just don't try gaming on it. Lol

>arch Linux

There are thousands of complaints about everything these days. This proves literally nothing.

Pokémon Go worked on my phone fine. If it works on my phone, it can't be a compatibility issue. The problems are likely with the program, not the arch, because there were also thousands of complaints about how much of a buggy piece of shit Pokémon was when it first came out.

Who is he?

>he

>she

Nigga you can't fool me. I know a trap when I see one. Even one caked with makeup.

Literally the only reason shit like Pokemon GO didn't work is because they explicitly disabled it. x86 Android has been able to run ARM compiled apps for a while.

You're retarded

You should stop being in denial user, Pokemon Go only worked after the developers released a version with additional support for x86. For a month after the official release they couldn't play the game at all.

Intel's attempt at mobile was an abject failure. They literally subsidized phones for pooinloo markets and it still sold like shit. Think about that, they wasted billions on the project and would literally be bankrupt if not for their desktop /server business. ARM is shit and more competition is good but they managed to play themselves out of the mobile market.

You should stop lying. I played the game on my phone in the first month for about two weeks before I got bored of it.

Seriously, you're full of shit.

>lying
>"my anecdote proves I'm right!"
>needing to defend your purchase on Sup Forums

Actually, in this case an anecdote does indeed prove I'm right. If it's an arch problem, it can't work for any device, conversely, if it works for any device, even anecdotally, that proves it's not an arch problem.

Seriously, I installed it about two weeks after, on the Monday. Worked fine. Severely disappointed with the "augmented reality" thing, I was expecting I'd be hunting them down through the camera, not some Tinder for Furfags crap.

You guys signed the petition right ?

who is

>she

>Look at geekbench results.
Opinion discarded, you're clearly an idiot. I'm surprised you manage to work a keyboard.

>Another idiot that thinks geekbench is a valid benchmark
lolno. The Galaxy S7 doesn't come anywhere close to Haswell.

I'm a filthy degenerate that jacks off to traps. I know my shit. OP's pic is a fucking trap.

A.) I'm just referring the FP benchmark
B.) Yeah I know fuckstick

Anyway the Exynos 8890 has the multi-core performance of a 2.4 GHz i3-4000M haswell processor. I know it can't sustain that kind of performance as heat builds up but at least for a few minutes it will have the same performance.

Whatever the case ARM is obviously getting better.

>Anyway the Exynos 8890 has the multi-core performance of a 2.4 GHz i3-4000M haswell processor
Hahahaha no, idiot. You're the fuckstick here, muppet. You cannot use geekbench to compare architectures like that.

Wasin't android designed to not to make a thing like that happen.
Use native Linux for interfacing with devices and make apps in java like VM so that they would not need recompiling ?
if so how does one fuck up so badly.

>being unable to identify traps

Yes you can. Floating point performance is the most important performance of a processor and geekbench offers a benchmark for that. I'm not referring to the total synthetic score of the geekbench 3 benchmark, of course that's pointless. I'm only referring the the FP performance part of the geekbench 3 benchmark.

I like I keep saying, that 1337 performance on that exynos 8890 cannot be sustained. The processor and battery will start to overheat after a few minutes and performance will be throttled.

chubby face/shit hair / 10

>Yes you can.
No, you can't, because tons of reasons. If you look at a *real* benchmark, like say linpack, the picture is completely different.

Do you even know what floating point performance is?

Who are you replying to?