Recommended Video Player?

So now that Kawaii Codec Pack is dead, what does Sup Forums recommend for the purest playback of chinese cartoons?

I really don't want to go back to the horror days of pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

git.1f0.de/gitweb?p=ffmpeg.git;a=summary
imouto.my/tutorials/watching-h264-videos-using-compute-unified-device-architecture-cuda/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

mpv

its like vlc (you don't have to install shitty codec packs), but not shit

its also open source and runs on linux or os x

Just go back to VLC.

It actually isn't shit anymore.

>b-but muh NVIDIA drivers

It's a simple fix that takes like 2 seconds. Stop complaining, it's not VLC's fault that NVIDIA can't get their shit together.

>It actually isn't shit anymore.
It can play H.265 now?

It's been able to do so since 2.2 to my knowledge, and the current release is 2.2.4.

I really don't see what people have against VLC anymore. It used to be shit, and now it's not. It's also open source and can practically run on any machine without issue.

If you're really against using it for some reason though, I guess you could always check out MPV. Last time I checked that out though, it was still in some very early stages.

>So now that Kawaii Codec Pack is dead
If on Windows, use LAV, like you should have been years ago.

If Linux or mac, use mpv.

>Last time I checked that out though, it was still in some very early stages.
I used it more than a year ago and it was fine.

Why do people dislike vlc so much? Granted, mpv is my default player, it launches much faster and has a cleaner interface, but vlc isn't a bad player. In some respects, vlc is superior to mpv. GUI tools for cropping and resizing while playing. GUI tools for (working) dynamic range compression while playing. GUI tools for video clip extraction. I suppose you could do all these things with mpv but it would be quite a headache.

Never even heard of it, used CCCP for the last 10 years it feels like.

Not him, but for me VLC is really sluggish and unpleasant to use.

Granted I still keep it around since it's great for stuff like syncing subtitles and shit.

Also, from what I know MPC is still the only media player that has a build in subtitle search feature. God damn it's amazing.

Oh man, last time I used CCCP was like 2011 or something.

And looking at it now, it hasn't had an update since last year. It's probably beyond dead by now.

CCCP was a good middle ground. It wasn't pure shit like K-lite, but it wasn't as good as KCP or just setting up your own shit.

But honestly, I just use mpv now. No more having to use shitty codec/filter installers on top of MPC. It really "just werks."

Myself I don't use any codex, just default MPC.

Mostly because I couldn't let a single difference and I'm really lazy.

For whatever reason, VLC is absolutely terrible at playing H.265 on my system, yet mpv plays it without issue.

What happened to KCP?

MPC-HC comes with LAV, which is absolutely the only thing anyone should be using on Windows.

vlc has subtitle search too.

>kpc is dead
It works though?

Does it?

All I could find were links to third party plugins and stuff when I googled it.

>LAV
>absolutely the only thing anyone should be using on Windows

LAV uses old snapshots of ffmpeg that go without updates for months and months at a time with no security patching done to it with a load of custom, non-reviewed patches bolted on top.

You'd have to be actually retarded to install that shit unless building LAVFilters it yourself and using actual upstream ffmpeg master source rather than that guys shit.

git.1f0.de/gitweb?p=ffmpeg.git;a=summary

what a joke, it works perfectly fine in MPC-HC without any issues

>facts and reality
>a joke

Do you also turn off all system security updates because "it works perfectly fine as it is" by any chance? What a retard/shill you are.

Just fucking download SVP and watch them in MPC.

Upscale all my shit to 144hz, my Chinese cartoons have never looked so smooth.

Even worse is that stable MPC-HC releases come with "stable" LAVF release from that time, current stable MPC-HC is well over a year behind in FFMPEG security and improvements.

Yes. I disabled autoupdates and I check them manually to protect myself from botnet patches. Backing on track you can always use nightly build of LAV Filters.

Even the git builds are 2 months behind ffmpeg, and usually they only get updated every few months.

>I disabled autoupdates and I check them manually to protect myself from botnet patches.
Consider using a tripcode so I can add you to my retards filter.

>Even the git builds are 2 months behind ffmpeg, and usually they only get updated every few months.
You're reaching at this point.

When was the last time a patch came in to fix buffer overreads, or any real security issues in the components of ffmpeg LAV actually uses? It's rare. Not all patches are relevant and I don't blame the guy for adding them all at once every month or so. Unless something critical is discovered.

It's still a completely valid issue.
As well as being behind in literally thousands of commits that fix regular bugs and add improvements or more support.

>2011
try 2008

The latter is valid. I admit I haven't followed LAV's development very closely. From my perspective I just build it, it just works, and it works well.

The alternative is rigging up current ffmpeg builds with some frontend to act as a directshow filter, and regularly rebuilding, or just using mpv. The problem with this is largely speed, and certain LAV features that work with madVR. If you're already using Windows, it just isn't worth it.

Also, ffmpeg refuses to build properly with MSYS2 and I haven't felt like bothering to figure out why.

VLC

Has anybody here used VLC for desktop recording.

I find saving the files in .mp4 works fine.

However, when I try the exact same desktop recording saving to .webm, there is a problem. Specifically, it does record the desktop but the length of the video file is completely incorrect.

For example, if I record the desktop for 20 seconds at 30fps and save to webm, I can replay the saved .webm file in vlc, yet vlc reports the video length to be something outrageous like 14:00:35.

Of course it only plays the 20 seconds it recorded.

This is a problem if I want to create short webms to upload on Sup Forums or elsewhere, as there is a video max length limit.

Anyone had this issue and could suggest a way around the problem that doesn't involve installing other desktop recording/video editing software?

>>I disabled autoupdates and I check them manually to protect myself from botnet patches.
>Consider using a tripcode so I can add you to my retards filter.
lololol, he likes getting cucked with telemetry botnet included in his system ;^)

>VLC is absolutely terrible at playing H.265 on my system, yet mpv plays it without issue.
Not him but what system do you have?

I play H.265 mkvs on a Sandy Bridge based Celeron without a problem inside VLC. And in fullscreen.

I keep reading that MPC needs codec packs, for what? I've never installed any codec packs and it works and has worked for years 100% perfectly for me, what I'm a missing here?

K-lite

People still stuck in the era where installing CCCP might make sense.

I've probably got VLC configured wrong but I can't be asked to figure it out since I prefer mpv anyway.

imouto.my/tutorials/watching-h264-videos-using-compute-unified-device-architecture-cuda/

Still can't display subs properly.

Default video quality is garbage.

It's just autism. There's like a 1% difference between MadVR on max and regular MPC but NEETs tweak it all day long because they have nothing better to do

>There's like a 1% difference
1% difference in what? Absolute values of scaled pixels? Colorspace conversion result? Dithering? The final image just generally? SSIM[whatever]?

In any of the above cases, your statement is disingenuous at best, asinine at worst. Yeah, go and use bicubic-50 and compare it to jinc(ewa_lanczos non-sigmoidized) with error diffusion. Get back to me on that one.

The deringing filter is also surprisingly making solid progress. Why do you feel the need to bullshit so hard?

smoothmotion is really noticeable for me though.

Also, just because of how obnoxious this post is, I'll get pedantic and tack on that there is no "madVR on max". There is no scaling system, or algorithm, on "max". That's isn't how it works. And if you think just setting nnedi3 to 256 neurons, or quadruple supersampling then downsampling with SSIM is inherently the best, got news for ya. It isn't.

>potplayer
>done

>proprietary
>chink
no thanks

>so
>why
>ask
>for
>a
>vlc
>alternative?